• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ZX14 forks on the C14?

skiee

I have a chance to buy a set of ZX14 front forks for the c-14. The ZX14 forks have 18 way compression and 15 way rebound. Would it be worth the $300 to purchase them? I need to replace the seals on my c14 and was just wondering if I just should go with the ZX14 forks. TIA
Norm

OK
you still will have to change the springs over, likely...
the stock ZX springs area bit mushy.. so far all the folks that did the swap ended up re-valving and getting stiffer springs.. which add $$$

do a search here for ZX14 forks.. there is quite a bit written on it, and those people would be the best to ask directly or by p/m's...

http://forum.cog-online.org/search2/

Hmm, might just be better to go the Traxion route, eh? Or just have my shop do the seals. They have a day turn around so won't lose much saddle time.
Thanks for the info, Rich!!

Norm

Bruce_Reafsnider_TN said:
Used to be Ohlins, but I don't think they have them for the C14 anymore.

Racetech has some suspension bits.  Scroll down the page to C14.

https://www.racetech.com/page/id/129

actually, IIRC, the Ohlin setup was a ZX14 set, and you had to drill the bottom bracket to fit the ABS sensor... IIRC...

I'm not wealthy enough to pay big $$$ for modded forks, they have been fine on my '08 since new, two up, with a trailer, or solo blasting..I just set preload, and they seem ok..

I'd just have the seals replaced, and ride it,,  :) :) :motonoises:

MAN OF BLUES said:
actually, IIRC, the Ohlin setup was a ZX14 set, and you had to drill the bottom bracket to fit the ABS sensor... IIRC...

I'm not wealthy enough to pay big $$$ for modded forks, they have been fine on my '08 since new, two up, with a trailer, or solo blasting..I just set preload, and they seem ok..

I'd just have the seals replaced, and ride it,,

Yes, the Ohlin is a ZX14 set. The internal springs need to be setup for the heavier C14 and the C14's ABS Sensor (depending on year model) might need modification and a special mounting plate made.

I believe that I have a thread out here with all that I did to mount a set of Ohlin on my 2011 C14. If I can find it, I'll edit this post to add it.

Here's more information on what I did:

http://forum.cog-online.org/tires-suspension-c14/ohlins-fork-spring-for-gtr-1400/msg621266/#msg621266

See post #19 for the drawing for the ABS Mount that I made.
http://forum.cog-online.org/tires-suspension-c14/ohlins-fork-owners/msg552733/#msg552733

Attachments

• 20171207_155358.jpg
    20171207_155358.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 136
That's great info Pope. Thanks for re-posting.

I got the Traxxion re-valve and Re-spring, and it's competent, but I still think Ohlins would be a superior performer.

gr

I seem to recall I got my forks upgraded by GP Suspension using a nice COG discount. When they dissembled my forks they called to tell me one was cracked and unusable. I bought a ZX14 set on Ebay for 300 and had them delivered to GP Suspension. My origin 08 was non ABS so the non ABS ZX forks worked great. A few years later my 08 with 177,000 miles was rear ended and totaled by a Corolla. I bought a replacement 08 with 50,000 miles for half of what the Corollas insurance paid me. Problem was the replacement was ABS. I had to machine the right ZX fork bottom flat and drill and tap to mount the ABS sensor. It took some trial and error to get the sensor gap correct but I managed. I can't find any reference to GP Suspension on the new COG website so maybe the discount is no longer available.

I'd just have the seals replaced, and ride it,, :) :) :motonoises:
Thanks Rich. Yeah gonna go that route, reseal. Seems like too much work to set it up. And I'm not railing the 14 just a spirited rider.

Just put in two pair. One are new takeoffs for my '09 leaving in the .9 spring from the ZX14, ZX14 forks.jpg & a used pair with 1.1 springs for my Son's '09.
I think there's quite a difference. I like the firmer ride with the 1.1 springs but the .09's aren't bad.
I used Silkolene 5wt fork oil. Thought it would be just the addition of compression adjustment I'd like but they seem smoother too.
Just my 2 cents. Your results may vary.

Skiee,

I had a guy in Idaho, "Adventure Power Sports" customize my front and rear suspension with Race Tech valves and some custom honing of pistons. He factored in my weight, average luggage weight, riding style and pillion weight. . My bike handles so much better now and the cost was around 1K. I ride a lot, however I do not corner to the limits and wanted a suspension set up that inspired confidence. This one fit the bill for me. FWIW

This is one thread that definitely contains knowledge and experience that most of us would rarely learn on our own.

The only comment I have in general, and this applies to all vehicles... you better know what you are doing when you seek to improve upon the knowledge, engineering, and testing that became the final product by the manufacturer.

I am still a newby here and was recently amazed at the difference in handling between the Continental tire I just replaced with a Michelin Pilot road GT5 on my Connie.

Thanks to all the posters... you got my suspension wheels turning now! (y)

Skiee,

I had a guy in Idaho, "Adventure Power Sports" customize my front and rear suspension with Race Tech valves and some custom honing of pistons. He factored in my weight, average luggage weight, riding style and pillion weight. . My bike handles so much better now and the cost was around 1K. I ride a lot, however I do not corner to the limits and wanted a suspension set up that inspired confidence. This one fit the bill for me. FWIW
I remember that post, Dan!