• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Oil leaking from exhaust manifold

I am on the opposite coast but to help narrow the issue

Maybe dumb question, not under an extended warranty?

Well known failure point is the exhaust cam sensor o-ring just above the exhaust manifold.

Is this an intermittent leak, e.g. smokes a bit after startup and then goes away with a little sniff throughout the day?

What year and how long has this been leaking. Is the leak worse than described above? Anything hitting the ground?

If it is the above it’s not a bad job, can help list the steps interested. Also the suggested O-Ring replacement for both the intake and exhaust cam sensors is a special size MOB (member) identified and can be found at Murphs kits.

2011. I had the valves adjusted a while back at 16K don't think that would cause the leak? The leak in worse dripping after shutdown off lower fairing onto the ground. I am trying to decide if I want to take on the work to replace the cam sensor o rings. I retired from working on aircraft engine in the military and just want to ride. Where can I get the Murphs kit?

Did the leaking start immediate after the valve adjustment? If so I would be wondering about the head cover gasket...

Here is link to Murphs Kits for the C-14 and specifically here is the over sized O-Ring, you get 2 for both sensors. The exhaust sensor though pools oil behind it, the intake sensor is vertically oriented.

Did the leaking start immediate after the valve adjustment? If so I would be wondering about the head cover gasket...

Here is link to Murphs Kits for the C-14 and specifically here is the over sized O-Ring, you get 2 for both sensors. The exhaust sensor though pools oil behind it, the intake sensor is vertically oriented.
I think you meant valve cover gasket and with the amount of oil he is seeing that would be my guess too.

Its an easy repair, itll seem a little difficult becuz of the radiator but u dont have to remove the radiator to do the job....

Like the others suggest if ur leaking alot its probably the valve cover gasket. U dont mention what ur current mileage is, only that awhile back at 16k....

I think you meant valve cover gasket and with the amount of oil he is seeing that would be my guess too.
Yes I did - the official Kawasaki part is called a head cover - but yes the ‘valve cover’ gasket is my thoughts given the amount of oil leaking.

Harv - does the leak worsen when put on the side stand vs the center stand?

Left and right edges of the ‘valve cover’ require some gasket sealer to prevent leakage, if out of the left side there is a spot oil pools there and would not be surprised if that’s where it’s leaking.

Also the fact you are not complaining about smoke makes me believe leak is on one of the edges...

If the oil leak is from the cover it can be easily rectified by fitting a half inch copper or fibre washer under the head of as many of the bolts that you can get to - one at a time. As the bolts have a shoulder which bottoms out on the head when tight, this gives about 0.5mm extra crush on the gasket thus preventing further leakage. The rubber gasket loses its elasticity over time with heat, allowing oil to seep out. Cover removal is not necessary, nor is sealant.

Last edited:
When I had my valves checked last time, the shop recommended the valve cover gasket be replaced. Yeah, It's rubber but they experienced a reduction in valve cover leaks. Also Freddy gives solid advice.

Thanks guys!. Had to step away from the oil leak issue. And yes the bike was all good after the valve adjustment but, I did have to tighten up a coolant line and buy some more panel screws. I never took the C14 back to that shop. . I will definitely order the Murphs Kits.

Attachments

• C14 Oil Leak.jpg
    C14 Oil Leak.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 270
Yes I did - the official Kawasaki part is called a head cover - but yes the ‘valve cover’ gasket is my thoughts given the amount of oil leaking.

Harv - does the leak worsen when put on the side stand vs the center stand?

Left and right edges of the ‘valve cover’ require some gasket sealer to prevent leakage, if out of the left side there is a spot oil pools there and would not be surprised if that’s where it’s leaking.

Also the fact you are not complaining about smoke makes me believe leak is on one of the edges...
I didn't order the Murphs kits yet. I just read your tips 2andblue. I will check the leak on the center stand. Didn't work the bike today on a wood project gonna try to get to it next week. I really appreciate the tips. I am glad I became a member. You guys are cool!

Here is a pic of one that's been leaking for a while.

Attachments

• 20201210_231826_resized_1.jpg
    20201210_231826_resized_1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 227