• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Replacing the rear shock

Takes 15 minutes to remove. I had mine re-sprung and valved for me by Jamie Daugherty at DMR Motorsports. Can't remember the total off hand, but it was ~$300. Made all the difference in the world.
The website is lacking, but he responds to email inquiries via the Contact section or just call him.

Shock is 305 plus 15 shipping. Forks with OEM seals are 440 and 25 shipping. Shipping to is your dime.
Revalved and new springs and set up on suspension dyno. Waiting for mine now. Be a while before I can give any feedback, Hopefully early April.

Place on center stand, then a couple bolts and out she comes.

Do you have a service manual - if not a PDF version is only ~$15-$20: Instantly available and will be unbelievably helpful.

Not that there are not lots of knowledgeable folks to help but suspension (like my instructions above) are best not left to conjecture - there are obviously more steps, torque values, etc. that you should get direct from the manual.

I started off with a Penske but didn't like the remote res. mounting placement, and lack of remote spring adjustment.

Went with an Ohlins. Ahhhhh......lovely.

As stated, not an impossible job, and no need to remove tank.

gr

I started off with a Penske but didn't like the remote res. mounting placement, and lack of remote spring adjustment.

Went with an Ohlins. Ahhhhh......lovely.
I installed an Ohlins rear shock along with Ohlins progressive fork springs on a 2002 Honda VFR that I toured on before I bought my C14, completely transformed the bike's handling. The suspension did all the work and the seat felt like it was floating over the road.

Seems Ohlins quit making a C-14 shock a while back, may be able to find used or NOS, I had no luck. I did put one on a EX-650 and it the transformation was sublime!

Easy removal. I had mine re-sprung, re-valved with race tech, and re-honned by Adventure Power Sports out of Idaho. They did the same to my front suspension at the same time. Total around 1K. The upgrade was an incredible improvement from stock.

I'm ready to place my order for a new rear shock but seem to be having trouble locating a Canadian online retailer...any hints? send me the URL.

P.

Easy removal. I had mine re-sprung, re-valved with race tech, and re-honned by Adventure Power Sports out of Idaho. They did the same to my front suspension at the same time. Total around 1K. The upgrade was an incredible improvement from stock.
Glad to hear it. I am having the same thing done but by DMr Performance Suspension. Cant wait!

I installed an Ohlins rear shock along with Ohlins progressive fork springs on a 2002 Honda VFR that I toured on before I bought my C14, completely transformed the bike's handling. The suspension did all the work and the seat felt like it was floating over the road.

Let me know how your front end works out, I'm waiting for Dave Moss to finish his forks and see what he comes up with too.
Should be here Monday. However it is still ice fishing weather si it will be a while. I noticed on the invoice that the stock rear spring was left in place. Said that it was suited for me. I am not heavy at 170 and told him I never ride 2 up.

Should be here Monday. However it is still ice fishing weather si it will be a while. I noticed on the invoice that the stock rear spring was left in place. Said that it was suited for me. I am not heavy at 170 and told him I never ride 2 up.
I'm 230 in gear, so he changed mine. I have to do something with the forks soon, the stock valving can't even control the rebound, with the preload nearly all the way out. Sometimes I scratch my head while pondering what Japanese engineers are thinking about. I ordered my fork seals and dust seals today and I'm probably going to email Thermosman and get him to do my forks, he's near Atlanta and I won't have to ship them, I can just drive them down and pick them up.

I'm 230 in gear, so he changed mine. I have to do something with the forks soon, the stock valving can't even control the rebound, with the preload nearly all the way out. Sometimes I scratch my head while pondering what Japanese engineers are thinking about. I ordered my fork seals and dust seals today and I'm probably going to email Thermosman and get him to do my forks, he's near Atlanta and I won't have to ship them, I can just drive them down and pick them up.
Mine suspension did not seem all that bad to me. The ride is good but I do get some wallowing in the long sweepers sometime and have trouble keeping a line. I have never has any suspension work done on any of my bikes so figured it was time to treat myself.

I purchased through Schnitz, they were a pleasure to do business with as well the ship that does the building very knowledgeable and support was awesome.

Ride difference is not just noticeable but transformative.

The impact (no pun first bumps) may have been larger for me due to 99% two-up. Right spring huge difference then ability to finely adjust compression and rebound for a totally stable ride was big - bigger than you would think.

Ill toss any one my keys, ride my bike and you would understand
There's nothing to understand, I've owned multiple bikes with Penske shocks and Ohlins shocks. Having an OEM shock revalved for less than a third of the price and getting 90-95% of the result is what most don't understand. You don't HAVE to have an Ohlins or a Penske, there are other options out there, especially considering the majority of those that spend the money, don't have the ability to realize the 5-10% difference.

So I have had some opportunities to see how this thing corners. Not a lot until I can get to some better roads but enough to tell it is greatly improved. The ride is firmer. A lot less dive in the front. It seems to hold a line a lot nicer and finally no more wallowing in the corners. I have not made any adjustments nor have I checked sag yet. I wanted to get some miles on before doing so.I am very satisfied with it and the cost was very reasonable.