• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

RoadSmart IV Evaluation

joliver

I just ordered RoadSmart 4s. I am going to keep a record of how they perform and will update this post. It will be a couple weeks before the tires and my bike are a unit.

Cost: $471.03 CDN $383.84 USD

I really liked the RS 3s as well. They claim better mileage for the 4s. Lost track of the mileage on the 3s but it seemed it was at least as good as previous choices. Angels, Michelins and others that have faded from memory.

FWIW, I have about 2000 miles on the RS4 tires. My rear looks like it has worn about 1mm.

The feel is nice. I've never had them slip over the winter, but I also dial back my enthusiasm on the right hand for the winter months.

I'm debating between the RS3, the RS4 and the Conti RA3. All three have a rebate going on. Will the RA4 give sufficient additional mileage to justify the price difference between it and the RS3? And I think the Conti RA3 felt smoother.

Chris

FWIW, I have about 2000 miles on the RS4 tires. My rear looks like it has worn about 1mm.

The feel is nice. I've never had them slip over the winter, but I also dial back my enthusiasm on the right hand for the winter months.

I'm debating between the RS3, the RS4 and the Conti RA3. All three have a rebate going on. Will the RA4 give sufficient additional mileage to justify the price difference between it and the RS3? And I think the Conti RA3 felt smoother.

Chris
Ian watching all the discussion, not sold 100% on the Angel GT 2-A’s. Like the former feel on acceleration out of a corner but not doing thing the tracking on parallel grooves.

I just did a check on prices and added a column. Prices are current as of today at Revzilla. They should be identical to anywhere else. Supposedly price fixing is illegal, but I've never seen much...if any...price difference.

Tire Prices.jpg

The data is ranked per Total Cost after any rebates. You'll see Owner Ratings included. The top rated tire is not the Michelin Road 5. And interestingly, the older Pirelli Angel GT has a better owner rating than its replacement.

I've been showing the average price in the past, and showing how much of a difference the tire cost is from that average. I added the column to the right of the difference from the lowest cost tire. My desire on these two columns is to get past the hype and quantitatively see what it cost to get the latest and greatest Dunlop Mutant tire vs the lowest cost tire, another Dunlop. Is the new Mutant tire really $230 better than the RS3? I doubt it. That's actually more than a set of RS3s cost. Probably any of these tires will perform about the same in wet or dry conditions.

Chris

The Dunlop Roadsmart 4 at Revzilla is $221 for a 190/55. The price in that chart is for a 180/55. Without checking each line item, it appears the whole chart may be for 180/55. But its still a good comparison and reference when deciding which tire to buy next! I've never even heard of a Mutant until now.
Probably any of these tires will perform about the same in wet or dry conditions.
I would disagree with this statement. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Your observation is correct. I have a bike that uses a 180/55-17 in the rear and a 120/70-17 in the front. But the prices will give you a good comparison to make your decisions from.

Chris

Chris
Thanks for putting out that updated chart!
I just ordered a set of Dunlop RS3's
At a total cost of 217 after the rebate was the clincher for me.
Thats a great tire at a great price.
Nick
2014 C-14

Chris
Nick
2014 C-14
Just make sure you got the C14 size, not my BNW F800GT size.

Chris
Nick
2014 C-14
I could not find a current rebate for them. So I ordered another set of the RS IIs

Just do a search on DuckDuckGo for "Dunlop Motorcycle Tire Rebate". You'll get this website as one of the results. https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/rebate-submission/

$20 per tire. If you have any other billable item on the receipt, they count that as "installation" and you'll get $60 off for two tires.

Just a word of warning. Before ordering your tires, check to see if that store qualifies for the rebate. For instance, I order my tires from Cycle Gear. If I order them online, I get nothing. If I order them through the store, I get the rebate.

Chris

Daboo, Cycle gear merged with Revzilla (I think).
They honored my purchases from Revzilla and did my tire changes for the discounted price of $25.

Ride safe, Ted

Very true. But...if you want the Dunlop rebate, it has to be a store purchase. Revzilla won't work. No online source will work.

1620144780347.png

Very true. But...if you want the Dunlop rebate, it has to be a store purchase. Revzilla won't work. No online source will work.

View attachment 29172
Yep! I found that too . So I just ordered another set of the RS 2s which I had not been able to find. Now I have a pair of RS 3s and 2s with a low mileage rear on the shelf. I am paranoid about shortages.

You're paranoid??? I'm paranoid at what I saw on my first Bun Cooler. We were headed to Elk City and we found at a break that one of the riders had the cord showing on his rear tire.

He ended up changing the rear tire in the parking lot that night. One guy was instructing him. And 35 guys were offering "constructive" comments as they watched while imbibing their favorite refreshments.

I don't know which was worse...the thought of the tire going through the cords...

....or the 35 onlookers offering their advice. :D

Chris

My 2021 C14 came with the T021 Battlaxes, and when hunting for a rear (because of this stupid nail) I finally found one available on Chaparral's website. $173 without any rebate. It'll cost me $65 to have it mounted and balanced. All because of a stupid $0.02 nail.

I had considered the T031's but wasn't sure if the tread pattern differed sufficiently that I'd need to swap out the front tire too.

If I'm reading this right you're are going back with a T021. Best thing you could do is use this for a excuse to dump them & get something better. There is nothing good about the OEM stones.

At the very least plug it & get a few thousand miles of it anyway before spending that $238.00 on another!

This is a good review of the Roadsmart IV. https://ridermagazine.com/2021/02/13/dunlop-roadsmart-iv-tires-10000-mile-test/

What I like about it, is the review is written by someone who is actually comparing the same tire against what they've ridden with in the past...not just the manufacturer's marketing hype.

I have to say my RSIVs have been great. Mileage wise, I'm down a 32nd of an inch and have 2000 miles on them.

Chris

If I'm reading this right you're are going back with a T021. Best thing you could do is use this for a excuse to dump them & get something better. There is nothing good about the OEM stones.

At the very least plug it & get a few thousand miles of it anyway before spending that $238.00 on another!
I hate to say this, but I agree with Cliff. {Please don't tell anyone I sed that}
I'll add, use one of the rope type plugs {with some tire patch glue on it}.

Ride safe, Ted

From 0 to 2224 miles on this original from the dealership.
Original Tire 01.jpg

Then THIS little bastard showed up, giving me a gratuitous middle finger (and putting lives at risk). :^ \
Original Tire 02.jpg

So I needed to get my nomadic tire transport gig on and run it over to a local shop to change it this morning. Was losing too much air every night and I got sick of having to fill 6 or 7 lbs everyday.
Chaparral had one for $173 and the local dude charged $60 for the swap.
Nomadic Tire Transport.jpg

Now I've got fresh skin on my rear end. I told wifey that she needs to rub my backside more frequently now that I've got baby soft skin.
She just rolled her eyes... :^ )
Fresh Skins at 2225 miles UGH.jpg

All because, out of the thousands of bikes cruising those highways and byways, a $0.02 rusty nail decided to pick my tire out of the crowd.

Heck, it wasn't even a shiny new nail FFS. Just some crinkly, nasty nail that nobody wanted.

I was considering doing an Archie Bunker tirade, but I'll save it for another time when I have a few IPAs in me. :^ ) LOL AB

Last edited:
Ted, Tire looks like it was just mounted. Give the guy a break.

LOL Tim, he wasn't wrong about the nipples on the dealer's original delivered tire. I'm keeping this to plug and have as a spare. It doesn't even have a flat spot on the middle of the tread yet. :^ )

I hadn't even gotten down on it yet as I wanted/needed to get past break-in. I'd like to think that I'll have this bike until the day my number gets called by the big guy upstairs, so being gentle in the first 2k miles +/- helps make sure all those expensive parts stay within spec for as long as possible.

I just ordered RoadSmart 4s. I am going to keep a record of how they perform and will update this post. It will be a couple weeks before the tires and my bike are a unit.

Got the tires today and drove 165 km / 100 miles. For much of the first 100 km I drove past the road construction for the Site C Dam so sand, trucks, and construction speed zones. The last 60 km or so I got to push them just a little bit and them seemed awesome.
Also changed the fork oil so that may have made some difference as well.

Today was my first spirited ride on the new RoadSmart IVs and at this point in time, I give them full marks. Seemed flawless. Traffic was nearly non-existent and the weather decent. After a few twists and turns it was obvious the bike wanted to exceed what is considered wise and prudent.

Today was my first spirited ride on the new RoadSmart IVs and at this point in time, I give them full marks. Seemed flawless. Traffic was nearly non-existent and the weather decent. After a few twists and turns it was obvious the bike wanted to exceed what is considered wise and prudent.
I will be watching to see mileage and long term how they hold up for you. Any 2-up riding.

We are using with continuous spirit the Angel GT2 A-Specs, still holding up fairly strong after about 3,600 miles. Traction still top notch although visually getting some flat spots both in center and mid radius...

1000 KM /620 miles Check-in.
Not much new to report, I still love the tires. Did a bit on wet roads. I never push it on corners with wet roads but at a mild brisk pace she seemed stable.
Bambi decided she wanted to be on the other side of the road.It was not much of emergency but as no one was behind me I did a emergency stop for practice. The wet roads did not seem to affect the stopping power significantly.
ABS = :cool:

I put on the Roadsmarts before the Spyder ride last fall. THey replaced the Angel Spec As. Reaaly stable through the curves down in Missouri last falll and held up OK. Not as ling lived as the Spec As and much less than the PR4s I have run for years. I replaced those RSs with a new set of PR4s before heading down to the Hocking Hills for Memorial Day as The Roadsmarts were getting pretty worn.

I think that is the order at this point. I keep coming back to the Michelins over the course of 90k+ on the 08 and now 75k on the 13.

In order of driveability and wear along with value, my personal ranks of the last few sets. Tried several other sets but those are my top 3 so far.. YMMV

PR4
Spec A
PR3
Roadsmart

I put on the Roadsmarts before the Spyder ride last fall. THey replaced the Angel Spec As. Reaaly stable through the curves down in Missouri last falll and held up OK. Not as ling lived as the Spec As and much less than the PR4s I have run for years. I replaced those RSs with a new set of PR4s before heading down to the Hocking Hills for Memorial Day as The Roadsmarts were getting pretty worn.

I think that is the order at this point. I keep coming back to the Michelins over the course of 90k+ on the 08 and now 75k on the 13.

In order of driveability and wear along with value, my personal ranks of the last few sets. Tried several other sets but those are my top 3 so far.. YMMV

PR4
Spec A
PR3
Roadsmart
Which Roadsmart? I have used 3 and now running 4's. I felt that my RS 3's outlasted my Angel Spec A. However, it is just in my head as I did not keep track of the mileage.

The RS 3’s another 537 miles yesterday. ~340-350 miles on the super slab; ~180-190 miles twisted heaven.

Total now on the clock ~2200 miles - still feel good; strong. Little notchy last night on way home in medium turns / super slab but nothing terrible. We run air pressure on HWY 43F / 45R, then twisties 42F / 43R.

Not quite as smooth as expected but gripping great and feathering not near as bad as Michelins - at least for us. We ride 2-up 99% of time and like to pretend pretend we’re attempting escape velocity through the mountain twisties or attempting time warp travel occasionally on the Super Slab!

The RS 3’s another 537 miles yesterday. ~340-350 miles on the super slab; ~180-190 miles twisted heaven.

Total now on the clock ~2200 miles - still feel good; strong. Little notchy last night on way home in medium turns / super slab but nothing terrible. We run air pressure on HWY 43F / 45R, then twisties 42F / 43R.

Not quite as smooth as expected but gripping great and feathering not near as bad as Michelins - at least for us. We ride 2-up 99% of time and like to pretend pretend we’re attempting escape velocity through the mountain twisties or attempting time warp travel occasionally on the Super Slab!

Curious to know if you find the road a bit bumpy at those pressures. I keep mine at 41 front and 43 rear, but then we don’t have all that many twisties here in Houston metro.

Curious to know if you find the road a bit bumpy at those pressures. I keep mine at 41 front and 43 rear, but then we don’t have all that many twisties here in Houston metro.
Good Point - The amount of miles we travel, at extended high speed, extra couple PSI 2-up seems to help stave off the large flat spot for at least a few hundred miles.

So In the twisties no.. on the open road a good possibility.

Based on these posts / thread, I ordered the RS4 set yesterday - after a non plug able puncture day before in my long time favored Avon Storm tires.

Red Fox we have about 3900 miles on the RSIV and so far these are the best looking, evenly wearing tires for us. 95% 2-UP with 80% highway miles and 20% playing in the twisties.

Rain, Heat, Tar Snakes, road siping / grated bridges, heavy braking, heavy accelerating all good and excellent handling in the twisties (smooth/ quick turn-in, easy exit).

Red Fox let us know how your thoughts.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I now have 5000 km / 3100 miles on RS4s. They look and handle like new.
When I got the tires installed I also got the fork oil changed. The difference in handling in corners is notable.
Just got home from a 340 km loop and feeling very positive about my bike.

Info not posted elsewhere in thread. Just received RS4's in 190/50/17 size, have these observations on what will be my first Dunlops ever run:
Front tread depth 6/32" (deeper than my prior Avon Storm 3's),
Rear tread depth 9/32" (barely less than the 9.5/32" of the Avons),

Front tire appears totally rounded profile, much like my last Michelin tire profile; whereas the Avon Storm has a slightly triangulated profile - which I always credited with its effortlessly turning into the corner (this was a handling plus).

Not yet mounted...

MC Tires.jpg

Last edited:
Info not posted elsewhere in thread. Just received RS4's in 190/50/17 size, have these observations on what will be my first Dunlops ever run:
Front tread depth 6/32" (deeper than my prior Avon Storm 3's),
Rear tread depth 9/32" (barely less than the 9.5/32" of the Avons),

Front tire appears totally rounded profile, much like my last Michelin tire profile; whereas the Avon Storm has a slightly triangulated profile - which I always credited with its effortlessly turning into the corner (this was a handling plus).

Not yet mounted...
I was just thinking about measuring our tread depth tonight (not lucky smooth to rack up the mileage this weekend) ~4,200 miles / smiles after this afternoon.

At 5300 km / 3300 miles I had to put the bike away. On Sunday we got a snow warning and they were correct. Put the bike away Monday afternoon and the snow came on Tuesday morning.

The tires still seem as good as new. I am very pleased with them. I will keep reporting on the until I have to replace them.

5,100 miles on the RSIV’s and my tread depths are:
  • Front 3.5/32
  • Rear 5/32
Tires still handling well, fairly even and no significant flat spotting.

Will admit less mountain riding than usual - Need a good mountain rip!

Good luck with those RoadSmarts. I have yet to run any Dunlop tire that didn't slip in the wet. I finally gave up on them after the last set almost got me killed.

I've had a couple sets of the RoadSmart IIIs and I have the RoadSmart IV mounted on my bike now. I doubt I'll ever buy the RS IV again. I just don't see an advantage of the more expensive IV over the IIIs.

Handling does not seem to be any better, and may be even worse. It seems like the RS IV tire wants to follow road imperfections. The IVs actually made me hesitant in going into corners. I remember the RS IIIs slipping once, but that was probably my fault. I turned at a light under an overpass to get on the freeway and there probably was some slick stuff that collected there...and I gave it the gas like it was in July, not November. My bad.

I'm estimating that at the current number of miles for the tires and the amount of tread left, that they will give me just about the same tread life that the RSIIIs did.

Chris

I remember the RS IIIs slipping once, but that was probably my fault. I turned at a light under an overpass to get on the freeway and there probably was some slick stuff that collected there...and I gave it the gas like it was in July, not November. My bad.

This is the behavior I've experienced on every Dunlop tire I've owned, and when running Dunlops I've had the back end literally come all the way out on me on several occasions and on multiple bikes over the years. I've never had it happen on any other brand like it does on Dunlops. I really think they just don't use enough silica in their compounds.

I blame my right wrist for the slippage though. I was stopped at a stop light, waiting to turn left and get on the freeway onramp. The light changed. I could've merely taken the on ramp like I normally do in the winter. But this was just as the cool wet weather was starting and I gave it one last highly enthusiastic twist of the throttle while turning. That area probably picks up a lot of oil, and I caught it.

I don't blame the Dunlop RSIIIs. I blame me. And for the rest of the winter, I had no issues.

Chris

My experience with the rs3 and rs 4 is like what Fred said. I tried the 3 last year and thought it was a decent tire but it would break loose in the wet. So I just now tried a 4 since they're supposed to be better. Well they are no better in the wet. But mileage is good. My average rear miles is 3500. This rs4 is at 5000 and not unsafe. But I won't buy any more.

My experience with the rs3 and rs 4 is like what Fred said. I tried the 3 last year and thought it was a decent tire but it would break loose in the wet. So I just now tried a 4 since they're supposed to be better. Well they are no better in the wet. But mileage is good. My average rear miles is 3500. This rs4 is at 5000 and not unsafe. But I won't buy any more.
Thanks for the verification. I was on the fence with trying this one but I had the same experience with the 3's in the wet so I won't waste my time on the 4s. With those kinds of miles I got to assume you change your own tires. The miles I put on in the rain demands sure feet.

Red Fox we have about 3900 miles on the RSIV and so far these are the best looking, evenly wearing tires for us. 95% 2-UP with 80% highway miles and 20% playing in the twisties. ...
Red Fox let us know how your thoughts.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
I mounted the RS4's and got a single 200 mile ride - my riding buddy lead a three bike trip at a moderate pace through good roads. I thought the tires handled very well. I then got covid (no sweat, thanks to booster shot) and other things in life happened ..., so haven't given them more miles :(. Initial RS4 impression is good, though. Do appreciate your recommendation, 2andblue.

Because of a family issue, I was not able to do much riding since I installed these tires. Well, that has passed and I am able to do more riding. The tires now have 13,700 km (8500 miles). They served me well. Coming home the other day on a wet road it felt like the back tire slipped a bit. Not 100% it was not my imagination but switching them out on Friday. This is an about 2000 km more than I usually get so they get top marks in my book.
Replacing with another set Road Smart IV's. As soon as I get back from holidays I am going on another tour. I have done one 8 day tour and plan on doing a couple more this summer. Hope to wear the tires out by summer's end.

In the goodie bag at the National there is a $100.00 rebate if you buy two Dunlop RS4's along with other Dunlop tires unfortunately not including the RS3's. It's good through the rest of the year. I am going to take advantage of that when my RS3's wear out soon. RS3's are great tires also and the price is very hard to beat!

This thread has me thinking of trying a 3 on front and a 4 on the rear. I generally have a lot left on the front when I change out my 3's.

Ted and I have been running the RS2's and RS3's and the handling has been amazing. As soon as my current set wears out I will try the RS4's. Of course our best mileage numbers are rarely more then 3,000 on any tires we try, but that's not the tires fault. Those Arkansas twisties shred tires pretty quick.

Clarification: Jim and I are considered lowly trailer guys by some of ya.
We understand why some of y'all may dislike our approach, but we're at the point that we prefer to trailer to an event and then enjoy riding the area. NOT by doing miles and miles of straight roads getting there.

The result of this is; we don't get good mileage out of our tires. (because almost all of our miles are done in the twisties).
ie; Our tires are NOT worn out in the center when we replace them. The edges are worn.......
<contented smiles> 😋😊

Of the tires we've tried, we really liked the RS II's and III's.
Good handling, no slip, even wear.

Ride safe, Ted

Clarification: Jim and I are considered lowly trailer guys by some of ya.
We understand why some of y'all may dislike our approach, but we're at the point that we prefer to trailer to an event and then enjoy riding the area. NOT by doing miles and miles of straight roads getting there.

The result of this is; we don't get good mileage out of our tires. (because almost all of our miles are done in the twisties).
ie; Our tires are NOT worn out in the center when we replace them. The edges are worn.......
<contented smiles> 😋😊

Of the tires we've tried, we really liked the RS II's and III's.
Good handling, no slip, even wear.

Ride safe, Ted
Ted you guys ever try the 4’s?

I found the 4’s were better than the 3’s for grip. Although as you can see I only rode the 3’s for a little over 1/3 of their life before trying the 4’s and haven’t gone back.

Also @connie_rider we lost track of this one - I still have a set of 3’s with probably 60% life, you want them? Pay shipping and you got ‘em.

Let me know if interested in the tires - if Ted taps out the offer goes for anyone else as well, other than shipping you get over half life in a set of Dunlop Roadsmart III tires, then maybe you’ll try a IV and can contribute to the evaluation.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

No, we haven't tried the IV's.
We originally went to the II's because they (Dunlop) started building them with the newest tire compound and charged little. ie; A set of tires for approx. $200. (I think I bought 4 sets)
We've only used front III's as we could no longer get front II's. (and could still buy rear II's).
Unlike other tires, the Dunlop's wore evenly without feathering at the tread edges.

I now have Metzler Z-8's on the bike. (Per Freds suggestion, I decided to try them in Oregon / I DID like them).
They worked well, stuck good, and the wear seems to be better than the Dunlop's so I may get more than 3000 miles on this set. (maybe).
NOTE: I only have 1000 miles on them so far.
After Oregon they are worn edge to edge... <contented smile> 😊

On your III's; It sounds like a deal for someone that does long highway miles, or someone that wants to try the Dunlop's before committing to the IV's.
I'll have to pass on them because @ 60-70% I'd only get about 1500-1800 miles on them before another change.
ie; I'd rather start with new as I'm tired of changing tires.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Well, the way I ride I got 9,000 on the front and 11,000 on the rears with the III. Mostly straight 2 lane and interstate.

With the IV so far have 10,000 on the front still has plenty left and 7,000 on the rear. Put 5800 miles going out to the National then drove back through CA down to Phoenix through Arkansas back to Iowa. Only issue was someone didn't like my bike in CA and they tipped it over in the motel parking lot when I was asleep. Broke the right mirror and mirror bracket. So have some work to do to fix everything.

Well, the way I ride I got 9,000 on the front and 11,000 on the rears with the III. Mostly straight 2 lane and interstate.

With the IV so far have 10,000 on the front still has plenty left and 7,000 on the rear. Put 5800 miles going out to the National then drove back through CA down to Phoenix through Arkansas back to Iowa. Only issue was someone didn't like my bike in CA and they tipped it over in the motel parking lot when I was asleep. Broke the right mirror and mirror bracket. So have some work to do to fix everything.
Sounds like you have tip over bars installed or we would be hearing about more damage. Hope that's the case anyway. It's not a good way to start the day looking at your bike laying on the ground.

Any security video at the hotel parking lot? I would be livid.

Had someone try to start the bike, steal the bike or otherwise take the ‘stovetop’ key out at a rest area. They bent the key and now it will not come out at all….

My latest on this set of IV’s we have ~8,200 on our rear and ~11,000 on the front. Both have just started touching some of the wear bars and are off the bike for fresh IV’s to be mounted. This is a record for us, having never gotten this much mileage out of a set of tires on the C-14 and the performance of the tire has not changed at all - really like this one!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I'll add my .02 per Ted's request. Like Ted, I bought some RS2's because they were cheap & I'm cheap, not to mention I go through a lot of tires. I also put the RS3's on front like he mentioned.

I put this set on & then rode down to MS to tell my mom Happy Mother's Day, for a total of 760 miles. Then rode out to the Nationals for a total of 7,015 miles. So all total I've got 7,775 miles on these tires.

The most mileage I have ever got. It was a lot of highway, but a lot of twisties out west. I have one more set of these so we'll see how they fare.

Attachments

• 20230622_192647.jpg
    20230622_192647.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230622_192629.jpg
    20230622_192629.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 77
I'll add my .02 per Ted's request. Like Ted, I bought some RS2's because they were cheap & I'm cheap, not to mention I go through a lot of tires. I also put the RS3's on front like he mentioned.

I put this set on & then rode down to MS to tell my mom Happy Mother's Day, for a total of 760 miles. Then rode out to the Nationals for a total of 7,015 miles. So all total I've got 7,775 miles on these tires.

The most mileage I have ever got. It was a lot of highway, but a lot of twisties out west. I have one more set of these so we'll see how they fare.
IV’s even better mileage and grip! Bit of a premium, however I think worth it.

Wayne, Carol & Blue