• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Forum-only paid membership?

big0red4224

I'm not much of a social rider. I don't do group rides. But I don't mind chatting with people, and I've learned a lot here on the forum.

My 6 month "trial" period for the forum is up. I'd consider kicking in like $10 a year for forum access. Is there any consideration for something like that? Full member status in forum, but none of the other added stuff?

Full forum access is a benefit of membership. Based on member feedback this topic was discussed at length by the board of directors, and the decision was made to implement a limited, introductory forum subscription.

I'm not much of a social rider. I don't do group rides. But I don't mind chatting with people, and I've learned a lot here on the forum.

My 6 month "trial" period for the forum is up. I'd consider kicking in like $10 a year for forum access. Is there any consideration for something like that? Full member status in forum, but none of the other added stuff?
Access to the tech pages and library are also included with full membership . Hell , just the carb rebuild article by Man of Blues (Rich) is worth the cost alone to me . Many other detailed repairs in those pages too .

Access to the tech pages and library are also included with full membership . Hell , just the carb rebuild article by Man of Blues (Rich) is worth the cost alone to me . Many other detailed repairs in those pages too .
+1
Membership provides all that and more at an annual cost of less than one coffee per month.

Full forum access is a benefit of membership. Based on member feedback this topic was discussed at length by the board of directors, and the decision was made to implement a limited, introductory forum subscription.

I'll be staying with full membership, BTW, but support this sounds-very-recent decision.

Unless I'm the one misunderstanding, I believe the "very recent" decision was made shortly after the new forum software was implemented.
I guess the perception of time is relative but it's not something that just happened in the last few months then again "it depends what your definition of few is" and "what your definition of is is"...and that will be my only impression of Bill Clinton. (ouch, I just bit my lower lip)
...and the limited introductory forum subscription is 6 months for new forum subscribers 6 months for old forum subscribers (the latter having lapsed for most I'm sure) and I'm not sure if there is a grace period for members that fail to renew but if there is I'm certain that it's only 6 months of grace?
Someone speak up if I've got any of that wrong.

Everyone is welcome at pretty much every event, ride and rally - members and non-members alike. (Calendar)

There is a free trial partial membership (called Forum Subscriber). It is limited to 6 months, one time. Mainly, it allows a person to post in the forum and access to a few more areas on the site and forum.

After that, the option is Full Membership, or Guest.

https://concours.org/Membership-Comparison < a comparison by membership

To my knowledge, there is no "grace" period for members that let their memberships lapse. Either you want to be a member, or you don't.

I do.

( if you don't like to ride in groups, you can always just meet the group at the food or lodging location for some socializing - and ride on your own )

Regarding the timing and OP's request, I interpreted (wrongly) that the 2nd post said you could now/soon buy a lessened cost full forum access only membership; the OP had suggested $10/yr. for this. I now realize that the second post said -no- to this request ... in a diplomatic way.

Every one should be a member.. I have left bigger tips
Cheers
We must not be riding or answering oil threads...because this discussion is ridiculous IMHO.

The cost isn't the issue when you really get down to it. It is whether "you" want a free ride in a group that you find valuable. If "you" didn't find it valuable...you wouldn't be here bringing the subject up.

Chris

The cost isn't the issue when you really get down to it.

Chris
Chris, cost isn't the real issue for you and me, but different good people vary - and many of these would be great members / participants. The issue, in my view, is to get good COG supporters/members/participants so this COG organization continues. So, how do we set the stage to further attracting good people. The money yardstick is only one of many ways to measure...

Here are some money yardstick differences among my personal riding friends:

*Current best riding buddy feels everything is good if he and I are within ~$50 of even after a trip. And, BTW, he helps people/riders out too.

* And I know another local rider who is so cheap he keeps his house heat at 55F, and never turns on his AC in summer; but he helps out numerous riders with fixes and tire mounts.

*For years my best riding buddy was an accountant who tracked trip cost equality to the nearest $0.25 - kid you not. Great guy, and helped many, many riders out. He initiated and lead many, many group overnight rides. But, he'd never pay $38 for any organizational membership.

Whatever, I support COG mostly because of the excellent people I've met

Yeah, approximately $3.08 per month is a real deal breaker. ;)

I have gotten door prizes and other things at about every COG rally or event I've attended. Some exceptions but those are rare. I'm talking the whole $37.00 + in dues back in COG door prizes every year. Not many other origination's pay you back after joining.

It's worth the $37.00 dues per year just to have a place to meet with the COG friends I have made over the years. Sitting down at the end of the day and having a cold snack with them is always fun.

I have been to places that I normally would not think of going to go see. I have been able to see the beauty of some of this great county in places I normally would have not ridden by. I have seen acts of kindness to none Connie riders who weren't known until they broke down. Stop and help out or make parking lot repairs.

As far as the guest thing goes, goes. I am convoluted over this policy. I agree and understand but we have lost some great people who have given very good advice and or fixes. IMHO, these guys are not necessarily getting away scot free.

Last edited:
People value what they pay for.

The $37 I pay each year pays back in time. Not always, but mostly.
I have received free room and board from complete strangers listed in the COG Membership directory.
I have also provided free room and board when possible to COG members listed in that same membership directory.

The first time a COG rally appears in the OP's town, I'd be willing to bet a stale donut and cup of coffee he'd be scrambling to become a full member.

I don't know. I'm addicted to this forum and I sure enjoy picking on my good buddy Ted. stickpoke.gif

I pay $37/year cause I value the members, their skills, advise, and friendship of this organization. I can't make it to every ride and rally, but when I can attend one, it is a hoot to meet new people and learn more about my bike.

We have many UNPAID volunteers who support COG and they still pay $37.

I know for a fact, People value what they pay for.

I pay $37/year cause I value the members, their skills, advise, and friendship of this organization. I can't make it to every ride and rally, but when I can attend one, it is a hoot to meet new people and learn more about my bike.

@Scary Harry summarizes it pretty darn well. He is one of the UNPAID volunteers who applies his skills for the betterment of COG and its members. Thanks Harry. $37 per year is an incredibly small investment into the future of the club when compared to the 100's and in some cases 1000's of annual hours some individual members have willingly volunteered. Let's not forget the cost of dues has gone unchanged for a long time, yet the quality of tangible member services that bring value to membership such as the club magazine, member directory, and online services has been maintained or improved thanks to club volunteers.

The $37 I pay each year pays back in time. Not always, but mostly.
I have received free room and board from complete strangers listed in the COG Membership directory.
I have also provided free room and board when possible to COG members listed in that same membership directory.

The first time a COG rally appears in the OP's town, I'd be willing to bet a stale donut and cup of coffee he'd be scrambling to become a full member.

I don't know. I'm addicted to this forum and I sure enjoy picking on my good buddy Ted. "Harry". View attachment 30362

I really hate to admit it, but I agree with Harry...
(Please don't tell him I sed that)

I've made a lot of friends in this club (even Harry).
Many of which, I just talk with on the Forum.
I think of most of them,,,, as the best friends I've never met.
Hmmmm, that would have been ideal with Harry.
But {unfortunately} "I met him in person" about 10 years after meeting him on the Forum (Ohh, the pain). (see below *)

Quick Story
* About 20 years ago, I was contacted by Hans from Sweden.
Hans had an idea to start "Over the Pond"**.
After he shamed me into doing it, w
e immediately (err) "convinced" Harry (and a few others) to help us.
With the Team formed, we started the process ***.
And then,,, (With a LOT of support from COG/GCE Member's) "OtP" happened!

(Over the Pond / "OtP") is a event in which we were able to;
,,,, send COG Members "Over the Pond" to ride in Europe
,,,, and bring GCE Members from "Over the Pond"/Europe to ride with us.

*** The Process; Each year, we collected $$, made arrangements, selected nominee's, and then voted for a Traveler (or 2), and sent them on the Ride of a Lifetime. (Imagine approx. 2 weeks of riding Europe and the Alps!)

NOTE: Most of it was done without ever meeting most of the people in person!
All of this happened thru communication on the COG/GCE site's, and
was done for COG/GCE Members "Only".
(As far as we know, no other Motorcycle Club's do this)

Last NOTE: "OtP" is still happening;
An "OtP" Traveler "has" been selected, $$ collected, and arrangement's (repeatedly made) to bring an "OtP" Traveler (from Europe) to ride with us at a COG National.
Covid has stopped his ride for 2 years (gloom)

(If Covid ever permits it again, he'll be here!
& (hopefully) 1 year after that; A "COG Member" (maybe even Harry) may be making the next trip.

(For $37 a year, "all" COG Members have a chance to be that person) {Thinkaboutit}

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
PS: If you ask for the parts manager at a Kawasaki Shop, and show him your COG Card; they will often give a 10% discount on parts because COG is a Kawasaki Club.

(It might take a little talking, but it works).

Ride safe, Ted

If it wasn't for my COG membership I may have never met Ted. Wait that's a good thing right. Lol. Heck I don't even ride a Kawasaki anymore, but my FJR does have two C-10 parts on it so that counts right.

My simple opinion is FB groups should not be advertised here or swaying people to go over there. Any C14 FB group should not even be associated with COG, they should have their own separate group.

No I don't use or have ever seen FB!
Well everyone has an opinion just like they have a A H.

I deleted my Facebook account about a year ago, which to me are really obvious reasons but I can understand some might not care, and I prefer the forum platform better. For anyone considering being a member I would recommend doing so. The tech library alone is phenomenal from what I reviewed.

The $37 I pay each year pays back in time.

This is so well stated - fits me to a 'T' as well.

I can't make each national - wish I could and our local group did not have much consistency for local / regional events. But I enjoyed each one (national and local) that I've ever attended.

The biggest value to me is the treasure trove of knowledge and 'how to' info about the Concours bikes both 10 and 14 that is so freely shared, followed by the banter and online community of a bunch of older seasoned 'mature' (!) guys who are usually curious and technically minded - much like me.

If you've ever been to the Concours Facebook Group, you can see 'answers' to basic things that are so off base, seemingly totally ignorant of things known here collectively - almost as second nature.

The knowledge and assistance gained for even one maintenance issue on your bike, like front end, carbs (C10), electrical etc. makes ALL of the year's subscription cost seem like chump change.

Then there's those tricks and tweaks that make your bike better for very little if any cost.

The value of getting something done yourself correctly and on the first attempt - priceless.

What's in YOUR wallet? :cool:

While, I have joined, and dont really mind. I find making someone who hasnt been a member since the mailing list in 99 pay to post is a bit harsh.