• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Which header?

kzz1king

All this talk about headers has me thinking I may need to try one this winter. I am checking valves again so would be the time to do it.
Black Widow- seems to get good reviews. It sounds like it is louder than I would want. Anyone just get the header and use a Delk mid pipe and can?
OR.
Delk system. I have one on my Z1 and am happy with it. Single or duals? So many decisions.
Either one I would try the reducer mod. I currently have the MRP and 18 in carbon Delk can.
Looking for a little input.

Using Google I was able to find the info here I wanted . It sounds like I could use the BW header and my downpipe and can.
Now with this shipping crisis going on.......

The black widow header exits with the same location and diameter as the stock header. therefor, you can use any midpipe / slipon from any manufacturer meant for the stock header.

As with any header choice, I'd suggest that you are honest with yourself about how you ride, and why you feel the header will be a useful addition to the way you ride - or want to ride - your bike.
Steve

All this talk about headers has me thinking I may need to try one this winter. I am checking valves again so would be the time to do it.
Black Widow- seems to get good reviews. It sounds like it is louder than I would want. Anyone just get the header and use a Delk mid pipe and can?
OR.
Delk system. I have one on my Z1 and am happy with it. Single or duals? So many decisions.
Either one I would try the reducer mod. I currently have the MRP and 18 in carbon Delk can.
Looking for a little input.
You live near PA?

The black widow header exits with the same location and diameter as the stock header. therefor, you can use any midpipe / slipon from any manufacturer meant for the stock header.

As with any header choice, I'd suggest that you are honest with yourself about how you ride, and why you feel the header will be a useful addition to the way you ride - or want to ride - your bike.
Steve
I hear ya. It's already hits the right buttons. I seldom use all the throttle. It's so responsive . What I enjoy the most or power down low.

I hear ya. It's already hits the right buttons. I seldom use all the throttle. It's so responsive . What I enjoy the most or power down low.
I enjoyed the power down low the most as well - that is until I put on the Full AreaP exhaust then above 5500 is my / our (pillion) favorite spot. No complaints down low, frankly I didn’t notice any difference down low.

It is not that I never went to the top end before but the top end was so flat and lazy that the bottom end was more impressive, usable.

After AreaP FE I have no complaints down low (we don’t always need our hair on fire - go bald quickly) and on top end I test how quickly my foot can pop the quick shifter as the revs rip through the range and power is substantially better and never choked off.

So the question on the table for you now - is there more than enough Torque down low and you avoid the high RPMs, as I did, because machine just doesn’t perform well with stock exhaust in this area? Are you seeking a different excitement?

I used to live in MN - would’ve swung up to see ya for a ride, now we’re in PA…

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I enjoyed the power down low the most as well - that is until I put on the Full AreaP exhaust then above 5500 is my / our (pillion) favorite spot. No complaints down low, frankly I didn’t notice any difference down low.

It is not that I never went to the top end before but the top end was so flat and lazy that the bottom end was more impressive, usable.

After AreaP FE I have no complaints down low (we don’t always need our hair on fire - go bald quickly) and on top end I test how quickly my foot can pop the quick shifter as the revs rip through the range and power is substantially better and never choked off.

So the question on the table for you now - is there more than enough Torque down low and you avoid the high RPMs, as I did, because machine just doesn’t perform well with stock exhaust in this area? Are you seeking a different excitement?

I used to live in MN - would’ve swung up to see ya for a ride, now we’re in PA…

Wayne, Carol & Blue
Decisions, decisions.
What area of MN? I lived south of the cities years back. I ride in MN quite a bit. Mostly northern woods .

Decisions, decisions.
What area of MN? I lived south of the cities years back. I ride in MN quite a bit. Mostly northern woods .
Owatonna then Montrose.

Roadside America is your friend in MN. Northern woods / Iron Range and North Shore awesome. I’ve many dozen routes if you need any… 😁

Wisconsin SW great stuff. Take on the Rustic Roads challenge on Wisconsin, fun - get to see the countryside.

Dakotas love the solitude, vast openness and also the diversity of landscapes.

Owatonna then Montrose.

Roadside America is your friend in MN. Northern woods / Iron Range and North Shore awesome. I’ve many dozen routes if you need any… 😁

Wisconsin SW great stuff. Take on the Rustic Roads challenge on Wisconsin, fun - get to see the countryside.

Dakotas love the solitude, vast openness and also the diversity of landscapes.
Well there may be some I missed up north, take any input you have. What is Roadside America? All I get on Google are miniature villiages. KI lived in Waseca, Montevideo area and worked in every little town with a grain elevator.

Last edited:
Well there may be some I missed up north, take any input you have. What is Roadside America? All I get on Google are miniature villiages. KI lived in Waseca, Montevideo area and worked in every little town with a grain elevator.
Roadside America is a collection of unique places to visit in probably each state of the Union. MN takes it to a new level! See at below link the many MANY POI which make traveling the state meaningful and also an excuse for time on the motorcycle

Roadside America MN

Both towns you mention quite familiar, a small world!

Thanks Steve. This, and your other post answered the questions (in my mind) about whether I really need an after market header or not. I don't need one.

Some folks, like 2 and blue, want the high rpm / high throttle opening power because that's what trips their trigger. OTOH, Justin Bowman put a delkevic header on and lamented the loss of low rpm grunt. He did my restricter mod, and was shocked at the return of low rpm power. After a few weeks he told me he was "over" his curiousity about high rpm power, and chose to put his stock header back on.

IMO, this bike NEEDS a good flash, and I don't say that because it's what I do. If you have a flash, you know what I mean. it brings out all the low rpm torque buried in the stock tune. Everyone likes torque. Twist the grip and go. If you're not specifically looking to be a WOT hoolie, there's no advantage to doing a header.

Steve

LIKE: If you have a flash, you know what I mean. it brings out all the low rpm torque buried in the stock tune"

Yep, and I have such an ECU flash. Thx!