• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Michelin Pilot Road 5 GT or Regular Road 5?

I Feel Fizzy

I put a set of Michelin Pilot Road 5 GT's on my 2018 Concours this summer, planning for a cross-country trip which did not happen due to shingles.

I do my own tires, and my question is this: The GT's were a bear to mount! Has anyone found found it any easier to mount the regular Pilot Road 5s compared to the GTs? Second question is: do we really need the recommended GTs, or will the regular Pilot Roads do as well? I have an FZ1 and I love the Metzler Sportec M9s on that. Great wet grip too. But this is a much different bike.

I don't ride two-up and usually only run a top case and tank bag, no side bags. I definitely ride on the sporty side of things, and prefer grip (in the rain too) and performance over mileage. I figure changing tires is relatively cheap insurance. I bought the GTs because of the planned trip, which would have worn them out. I still plan on taking some trips (solo) with loaded up bags. I just hate to struggle with those GTs if I don't need them.

Looking forward to your experiences with them.

Craig

I put a set of Michelin Pilot Road 5 GT's on my 2018 Concours this summer, planning for a cross-country trip which did not happen due to shingles.

I do my own tires, and my question is this: The GT's were a bear to mount! Has anyone found found it any easier to mount the regular Pilot Road 5s compared to the GTs? Second question is: do we really need the recommended GTs, or will the regular Pilot Roads do as well? I have an FZ1 and I love the Metzler Sportec M9s on that. Great wet grip too. But this is a much different bike.

I don't ride two-up and usually only run a top case and tank bag, no side bags. I definitely ride on the sporty side of things, and prefer grip (in the rain too) and performance over mileage. I figure changing tires is relatively cheap insurance. I bought the GTs because of the planned trip, which would have worn them out. I still plan on taking some trips (solo) with loaded up bags. I just hate to struggle with those GTs if I don't need them.

Craig
Craig I know some were running the non GT 5’s because they wanted a change and GT’s release date was a few months behind the regular - I don’t recall anyone mentioning anything negative.

She is a big girl though and does catch a lot of wind so it’s not just the weight.

I would stay on the GT side of things, but I also like to push the machine quite a bit and don’t need a carcass to let loose, however unlikely that is…. Not to mention the roads in our area are terrible, another reason to have a more fortified sidewall. I have zero doubt some of the potholes we’ve hit here would have torn a lesser tire apart.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Craig I know some were running the non GT 5’s because they wanted a change and GT’s release date was a few months behind the regular - I don’t recall anyone mentioning anything negative.

She is a big girl though and does catch a lot of wind so it’s not just the weight.

I would stay on the GT side of things, but I also like to push the machine quite a bit and don’t need a carcass to let loose, however unlikely that is…. Not to mention the roads in our area are terrible, another reason to have a more fortified sidewall. I have zero doubt some of the potholes we’ve hit here would have torn a lesser tire apart.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
What "2andblue" said re: GT. +1

I recently went away from the Pirelli Angel GTs, in favor of the Michelin Road 5 GT. Over 2 years I have several punctures on relatively new Pirelli tires that co$t$ me, so I am hoping the Michelins are more durable. I had them in the past ...

I recently went away from the Pirelli Angel GTs, in favor of the Michelin Road 5 GT. Over 2 years I have several punctures on relatively new Pirelli tires that co$t$ me, so I am hoping the Michelins are more durable. I had them in the past ...
I tried the Angels once. At about 5000 miles I got 2 rock punctures on my gravel road. Didn't try them again.

What part of getting the GT's on your wheel did you have the most trouble with? I've been doing my own tires for 11 years now, have GT's on my 2010 and love em. There might be other tires that perform better on the track or dry roads but when the roads get wet these are the best. You might not have lube in all the right spots causing the rubber to hang up or get stuck to the wheel. Another problem is not getting the beads of the tire to collapse into the drop center of the wheel enough to get those last few inches of tire bead over the edge of the wheel. Once in awhile I have to use the big IRWIN pistol clamps around the 6 o'clock position of the tire to get it to collapse into the drop center while I'm getting the last few inches of the bead from say 10 to 1 o'clock position over the wheel. If the tire bead stays at the edge of the wheel you will have a really hard time getting the rest of the tire on the wheel.

Them damn shingle shots huuurrtt’
I guess I'll find out soon - I had to wait six-months after they cleared up to get the shot.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
Yeah, that's what I figured. Just a real battle spooning them on!

What part of getting the GT's on your wheel did you have the most trouble with? I've been doing my own tires for 11 years now, have GT's on my 2010 and love em. There might be other tires that perform better on the track or dry roads but when the roads get wet these are the best. You might not have lube in all the right spots causing the rubber to hang up or get stuck to the wheel. Another problem is not getting the beads of the tire to collapse into the drop center of the wheel enough to get those last few inches of tire bead over the edge of the wheel. Once in awhile I have to use the big IRWIN pistol clamps around the 6 o'clock position of the tire to get it to collapse into the drop center while I'm getting the last few inches of the bead from say 10 to 1 o'clock position over the wheel. If the tire bead stays at the edge of the wheel you will have a really hard time getting the rest of the tire on the wheel.
Getting that last bit onto the rim. I do use a No-Mar tire iron, and have the 'Yellow Thing' and a 3 clamps to hold the tire in the center of the rim - they help a LOT! I also use the No-Mar lube, which is great. The Metzler Sprotec M Series is a piece of cake, but it's a softer, sporty tire. I have a Harbor Freight changer though - some day I hope to upgrade to a No-Mar. I've been doing my own tires for about 20 years. I bought an extra set of RIMS and rotors for my FZ1 so I can put a fresh set on for doing a track day or the Dragon, and then just swap out for my commuting tires. Haven't done that with the Connie yet.

Good to know. I like the way the Michelins handle.

Getting that last bit onto the rim. I do use a No-Mar tire iron, and have the 'Yellow Thing' and a 3 clamps to hold the tire in the center of the rim - they help a LOT! I also use the No-Mar lube, which is great. The Metzler Sprotec M Series is a piece of cake, but it's a softer, sporty tire. I have a Harbor Freight changer though - some day I hope to upgrade to a No-Mar. I've been doing my own tires for about 20 years. I bought an extra set of RIMS and rotors for my FZ1 so I can put a fresh set on for doing a track day or the Dragon, and then just swap out for my commuting tires. Haven't done that with the Connie yet.
I have I an old freezer converted to a meat smoker. I started putting my tires in it and warming them up . Helps a bunch. Prior to that I had times when I couldn't get that last bit over. I run my heat gun back and forth a few times and then it goes.
Tire warmers for the track would be great!

I have I an old freezer converted to a meat smoker. I started putting my tires in it and warming them up . Helps a bunch. Prior to that I had times when I couldn't get that last bit over. I run my heat gun back and forth a few times and then it goes.
A smoker huh? So when you roast the tires in the smoker do they come out smelling good?

That'd be something - ripping on the tires the first few times and smelling smoked food! :p

Great idea though!

Now there's an idea, thanks! I do have a heat gun I could use on them. I never thought about that. Kind of like the idea of putting bearings in the freezer and heating where the bearings go to drop them in.

I live in Houston.
I just set them out in the sun before I mount them.
The biggest issue then is touching them as their so hot!

& If it's too cold, I wait a few days before I do it.

Ride safe, Ted
I tried the sun. Tried putting them in the back window of the car. It gets hot here in the summer but I never got the tires so hot I couldn't touch them. I lived in the Victoria area for a few years. My buddy, another Yankee transplant, and I were the only people that rode during the winter months. Of course we had to. Didn't own a car then. Sucked during the fog. But I digress. Heat helps. I cook mine to about 160

I just hate to struggle with those GTs if I don't need them.
Craig
Well, I'd run what on the bike myself. But if you do swap them for the non-GT version I'd suggest increasing the pressure full 2 or 3 psi over what the GT tires were set to.

I tried the sun. Tried putting them in the back window of the car. It gets hot here in the summer but I never got the tires so hot I couldn't touch them. I lived in the Victoria area for a few years. My buddy, another Yankee transplant, and I were the only people that rode during the winter months. Of course we had to. Didn't own a car then. Sucked during the fog. But I digress. Heat helps. I cook mine to about 160
For clarity;
I'm from Houston "TeXaS".
So, there is a "slight chance" that I "may have" exaggerated "just a little". 🤠

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
For the first 3 versions of the Roads there was no such thing as the "GT" version and many folks (including myself) ran them without issue. The GT version has the same load rating as the regular version so load capacity isn't really the reason to switch to the GTs. Personally, I've been running non GT Michelins for 10 years and have been more than happy with them (I also mount them myself) and will likely stick with em because I see no reason to change based on my experience. YMMV.

For the first 3 versions of the Roads there was no such thing as the "GT" version and many folks (including myself) ran them without issue. The GT version has the same load rating as the regular version so load capacity isn't really the reason to switch to the GTs. Personally, I've been running non GT Michelins for 10 years and have been more than happy with them (I also mount them myself) and will likely stick with em because I see no reason to change based on my experience. YMMV.
Thanks for your input. Now you have me considering the non-GTs. Guess I might have to try them myself to find out!

I guess you never mounted the GTs to compare then, correct?

You are correct...I have no experience with mounting any GTs so can't comment on the difficulty. I've mounted "regular" Road 2s, 3s, 4s, and 5s without any problems though.

I guess you never mounted the GTs to compare then, correct?
I've mounted many sets 2s, 3s, one 4, two regular 5s and two 5gts. My opinion is 2,3, and 4 are all about the same and easy to mount. The regular 5 was easier (like a wet dishrag). The gt was only slightly more difficult than the 2,3,4 but at least it had a little backbone. The 5 regular was not confidence inspiring when the tread was almost gone, both on the bike and especially dismounted. There just wasn't much left to be holding up a big powerful motorcycle. But as far as ease of mounting, all the Michelins are very easy compared to some others.

I've mounted many sets 2s, 3s, one 4, two regular 5s and two 5gts. My opinion is 2,3, and 4 are all about the same and easy to mount. The regular 5 was easier (like a wet dishrag). The gt was only slightly more difficult than the 2,3,4 but at least it had a little backbone. The 5 regular was not confidence inspiring when the tread was almost gone, both on the bike and especially dismounted. There just wasn't much left to be holding up a big powerful motorcycle. But as far as ease of mounting, all the Michelins are very easy compared to some others.
I like that the Michelins don't have a light spot dot like the Metzlers. They say it's because their manufacturing process is so precise. I thought it was just cutting corners, but it seems like it's true - they didn't need much weight to balance.

Has anyone else noted that there are now GT6s on the market? I have run GTs and GT5s for around 50K miles so far and been very happy with them all I could not tell a substantive difference between the GT and GT5 version and to be clear never have a rider in back and don't weigh that much so...I will try the 6s at my next tire change in probably April.

Features: (according to Michelin)​

• Designed with heavier touring and sport-touring bikes in mind
  • Patented Silica Technology™ tread compound
  • Patented Water Evergrip Tech™ tread pattern
  • 2CT+ dual compound front and rear tire composition
  • Delivers 15% more wet grip than Road 5 GT
  • Delivers 10% longer tread life than Road 5 GT

At the COG National in Williamsport PA, a bunch of us attended a great seminar conducted by the Michelin Rep. in addition to hats and a Michelin pin, we got a lot of good advice. As far as the dot goes on the tire, he said marking a heavy spot on their tire would mean it’s defective and would not pass inspection.

The Pilot Road 5 GT’s were not yet being sold but we’re coming soon. He told us to wait for the GT’s if we had the C-14. His rationale was the bike is heavy true, but the stiffer sidewall is needed to counteract the soft rear suspension. He said soft suspension and soft sidewalls will not provide the optimal cornering. The suspension and sidewalls need to counteract each other. Maybe someone else can chime in with what they remember.

At the COG National in Williamsport PA, a bunch of us attended a great seminar conducted by the Michelin Rep. in addition to hats and a Michelin pin, we got a lot of good advice. As far as the dot goes on the tire, he said marking a heavy spot on their tire would mean it’s defective and would not pass inspection.

The Pilot Road 5 GT’s were not yet being sold but we’re coming soon. He told us to wait for the GT’s if we had the C-14. His rationale was the bike is heavy true, but the stiffer sidewall is needed to counteract the soft rear suspension. He said soft suspension and soft sidewalls will not provide the optimal cornering. The suspension and sidewalls need to counteract each other. Maybe someone else can chime in with what they remember.
That makes sense, but I have a Penske triple-clicker in the rear and Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 cartridges up front, so my suspension is far from stock - I wonder if that still holds true with the upgraded suspension.

Has anyone else noted that there are now GT6s on the market? I have run GTs and GT5s for around 50K miles so far and been very happy with them all I could not tell a substantive difference between the GT and GT5 version and to be clear never have a rider in back and don't weigh that much so...I will try the 6s at my next tire change in probably April.

Features: (according to Michelin)​

• Designed with heavier touring and sport-touring bikes in mind
  • Patented Silica Technology™ tread compound
  • Patented Water Evergrip Tech™ tread pattern
  • 2CT+ dual compound front and rear tire composition
  • Delivers 15% more wet grip than Road 5 GT
  • Delivers 10% longer tread life than Road 5 GT
One never knows what to expect from a new generation tire. Generally they do get better, but I had Metzler Sportecs on my FZ1 and really liked them, but a few generations ago they really changed the profile and I liked the previous version better. The last couple generations have been great again though.
I also never ride double. On a long trip I'll have it packed with luggage, but no rider. That makes a huge difference, so maybe the non-GTs would work well.

Good question, and I don’t have an answer. I have the Penske rear shock as well. I think the question would be, how the Penske compares to the stock for what he called softness. Since I mount my own tires, I would actually choose the easiest Michelin tire to mount moving forward.

I'm on my second set of road 5 tires on the 2017 Concours. Haven't had any problems. I really like the tires. Great when it's wet.
I bought a NoMar changer used that fits in the hitch of the truck. $150 on craigslist. Much better than the Harbor Freight.
I bought road 6 for the 2011 BMW R1200 GSA. I have 2 sets of wheels. I run Kenda Big Blocks on the other wheels. I'm still doing service work on the Beemer. As soon as I get it on the road I'll report back.

index.php
One in the oven
😃

that's one way...

...here is another.

i-tBBcBPB-XL.jpg

I've edited this post twice, my photo link keeps breaking...don't know what is going on here.

Last edited:
Marty
After that thing is softened up dice it up with some onions peppers mushrooms and get a big French roll and lay it in there.
Let us know how it works out.
Nick
2014 C-14

+1 on the N-Mar tire Iron and "Yellow Thing". Buy some extra tips because they can break.

You need to be patient and not go crazy and risk melting the tire, but I tried this heat gun trick once. When dialed back, the tire warmed up nicely. I wasn't going for any warmer than the laying it out in the sun. Just shooting for anything warmer than the 40 degree garage temp.

1. The GT has a stiffer sidewall, which makes it harder to mount, but provides higher load capacity needed for Sport Touring.

2. You need a proper tire machine that holds the wheel and a tire mounting bar that runs around the circumference of the tire to mount it. The reason you're having a hard time mounting is because you are using tire irons. A $80 Harbor Freight tire changer and a MoJo bar is all you need.

3. I'm surprised to hear Michelin has a Road 6 out already. Makes me wonder if there was a problem with the 5.

large.jpg

that's one way...

...here is another.

i-tBBcBPB-XL.jpg

I've edited this post twice, my photo link keeps breaking...don't know what is going on here.

I’ve also noticed a change to the graphics handling of this text editor feature. Hyperlinks shouldn’t pose any problem if the URL (link address) is squared away.

Craig
Just got the Road6 GTs delivered and will mount them soon. I got a TirX tire changer after watching it work down at Laguna Seca a couple years ago and it does make it easier to change and balance Connie tires. https://www.tirxmoto.com/content/tirx-motorcycle-tire-changer/what-it-is I got over 13K pretty hard miles out of the Road5 GTs on Connie now, so that qualifies as a good value to me. If the Road6 GTs do as well as expected, then I will be very happy. I will update once I get them on and done a bit of break in riding around Seattle.

13K miles - WOW!

I got half that last time in Dunlop RSIV and can’t hardly break 5K on Michelin 4 or 5 GT’s.

Maybe because we’re loaded 2-Up.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I have the Michelin Pilot 4 GT tires and love them. They are super sticky and great when caught in the rain. I like having the beef to ride 2 up without concern. My next set will be GTs for sure.

2andBlue, two up riding almost certainly uses up rubber more quickly. I weigh in at 160 wet so seem to fit into the "lightweight" rider profile. Its not like I go easy on Connie when riding. I have moderated my starting off acceleration of late but other than that still go fast and lean as much as possible everywhere else. Safe Travels!

Gilbysan aka - FatNinja

2andBlue, two up riding almost certainly uses up rubber more quickly. I weigh in at 160 wet so seem to fit into the "lightweight" rider profile. Its not like I go easy on Connie when riding. I have moderated my starting off acceleration of late but other than that still go fast and lean as much as possible everywhere else. Safe Travels!

Gilbysan aka - FatNinja
I don't think it's all weight. I am about 10 over your weight and have never gotten close to that in a tire. I am inclined to think it's road material and the twist of the wrist.

I don't think it's all weight. I am about 10 over your weight and have never gotten close to that in a tire. I am inclined to think it's road material and the twist of the wrist.
Road material / porosity huge factor and then a big item is also the acceleration factor - as the FatNinja noted less on the acceleration recently.

With the Quickshifter we enjoy the constant, uninterrupted power from takeoff to whenever I get out of it, and I know this is a factor for sure.

Wayne, Carol & Blue