• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Moto life and rvs

nomoreusmc6802

Just wondering if anyone has done any boondocking with motorcycles?

My first thought was a small rv, like one built on a van chassis with a big block and a v nose trailer big enough for storage. And enough space for a garage for my bikes, with tool storage and an AC unit so I could actually work on them in there. I have a gas powered welder with a 19kw generator. 100 amp breaker. So more than enough power and stick and tig welding. I plan on putting it in an enclosure on the tongue so I don't have to worry about fumes. Down side is it would be hard to shop or get into tight spaces. No 4x4

Second thought was a truck bed RV, one of the bigger ones with a shower and water tanks. And a larger trailer for more storage. I don't have a problem with the reduced living area but with all the trips back and forth. Bad knees and all. And all the stairs. Other than that the only other down side is tiny water\sewage tanks. But the upside is normal vehicle size, probably the best fuel mileage but roughest on mechanical.

My latest plan was to get a box truck(1ton) and make an custom ramp and use that like the trailer and get a bumper pull rv. Still a pain at Wal-Mart but much easier than a 24\30 foot RV and I have the extended living space and probably the most storage. Big negative is a big ramp and tip overs. Or I have to get a big Jonny lift.

Someone out there is thinking, what about a toy hauler? Too much weight in one spot. I want to use it for extended periods, maybe permanently. So I need more axels to support the weight. Every plan has it's pluses and minuses. The last plan is probably the best living mechanical option but the most expensive. Already ruled out a schoolie, and a 5th wheel. Been working on this plan for about a year and a half and I have about 5 years to accomplish it with limited resources. But I'm an expert welder, a degreed electrician and owned a handyman business for 6 years. So I have the skills to make it work.

I'm looking for something I don't know. I only have experience with 5th wheel RVs. Always pulled them with a farm truck. I'm attempting to plan this all out as best as I can, so I have the best outcome, while I can still physically do it. Probably be in a wheelchair by 60 and I would like to enjoy what I can while I can.

We've talked about this recently.
Jim thinks a horse trailer {with small living quarters} might be an option.
Don't laugh.
They come in many different styles.
Their low to the ground.
Closed in with window's.
Have a small living area.
Could haul a couple of bikes.
Could be air conditioned.
Used ones are available and could be modified.

Right now, I can't find one that is ideal, but here's photo's of a new and a used one to give you an idea of what we're talking about.
New; Go to sample Pixs or customer pics.

Used (see photo's)

Last edited:
We've talked about this recently.
Jim thinks a horse trailer {with small living quarters} might be an option.
Don't laugh.
They come in many different styles.
Their low to the ground.
Closed in with window's.
Have a small living area.
Could haul a couple of bikes.
Could be air conditioned.
Used ones are available and could be modified.

Right now, I can't find one that is ideal, but here's photo's of a new and a used one to give you an idea of what we're talking about.
New; Go to sample Pixs or customer pics.

Used (see photo's)
I was just talking to my girlfriend about this. The downside is is the cost. I also worry about all the weight. I know they're designed for 3 horses but a Connie, another bike and a can am spider, plus tools, plus supplies, plus food, plus water and sewage, plus solar batteries., Plus, plus plus. I haven't ruled it out because I honestly don't know what 3 horses weigh.

Horse trailer might be the way to go. I did some research and it might just do the trick. Some people box the frames to stiffen the chassis. 5th wheel probably the easiest to haul and a 4x4 f250 with the 7.3 idi probably not going to be hard to find.

We had a Work& Play T-H for several years. Very tough (somewhat heavy) design that originated as a car hauler line. Ours had an 11’ garage and 20’ of living space separated by a sliding glass door that kept fumes out. Big tanks and a generator were included because the line originally seemed to be made for desert boondocking.

Came across these today. Not suggesting a purchase, but good indication of what might be possible on a budget.
$13,000 light weight / nice condition / but w/o living quarters.

$2000 Rougher shape / AC / generator / but w/Living Quarters

Last edited:
Our 2012 Silverado 2500HD/2017 2604 Rockwood TT rarely leaves home port without at least one bike in the bed of the truck. Usually 2 TW-200's, a TW and the ZX-10 for track days or camping near windy roads, or the Concours 1400 takes the whole bed. It is a great lifestyle and the dogs love it!

I've thought about the box truck idea . With a medium bumper pull travel trailer and a big liftgate it would make a nice rig . Plus one could always make extra money when needed with a box truck . It's pretty easy to find loads to haul . There's lots of websites for that .

Came across these today. Not suggesting a purchase, but good indication of what might be possible on a budget.
$13,000 light weight / nice condition / but w/o living quarters.

$2000 Rougher shape / AC / generator / but w/Living Quarters
I already looked at the bottom one. I think it going to be what's affordable when I have the cash. I have a welding rig and a Harley to sell but I want other stuff too. I hate being poor

Our 2012 Silverado 2500HD/2017 2604 Rockwood TT rarely leaves home port without at least one bike in the bed of the truck. Usually 2 TW-200's, a TW and the ZX-10 for track days or camping near windy roads, or the Concours 1400 takes the whole bed. It is a great lifestyle and the dogs love it!
How do you get it in the bed? I have often wondered how people get them in\out when I see a pickup with a bike in it. Probably not a problem with the tw, what are those 220lbs wet?

I used a long ramp and got help to steady the bike as I rolled it in.
Most do the same.
Another EZ option is to "back the truck into a ditch" or "use a loading ramp at a warehouse".

Last edited:
I have a gas powered welder with a 19kw generator. 100 amp breaker. So more than enough power and stick and tig welding. I plan on putting it in an enclosure on the tongue so I don't have to worry about fumes.

This may increase the tongue weight too much. Might want to research more traditional generator installation locations.

This may increase the tongue weight too much. Might want to research more traditional generator installation locations.
324lbs probably another 40 in enclosure. 15 gallon fuel tank, so 90 lbs in fuel. So 450(ish)lbs I didn't figure it would be an issue. Hay rack area?

324lbs probably another 40 in enclosure. 15 gallon fuel tank, so 90 lbs in fuel. So 450(ish)lbs I didn't figure it would be an issue. Hay rack area?
There is more leeway for 5th wheels... not so with standard tow hitch - which is what I was assuming. Do the research.

There is more leeway for 5th wheels... not so with standard tow hitch - which is what I was assuming. Do the research.
Yeah I guess I have to. I found a group of guys that have been doing this for years and I'm learning a lot just reading. I have a lawsuit pending against the us government and disability. So I have some time

How do you get it in the bed? I have often wondered how people get them in\out when I see a pickup with a bike in it. Probably not a problem with the tw, what are those 220lbs wet?
Lol, yep...but any bike is not bad if you have it running, and just clutch walk it standing on the left side up into the bed. My driveway at home base has a natural formation that allows me to load into my 6'-6" bed with only an 18" rise to the tailgate. "Nature's "Loading Ramp" are everywhere if you just look, do not need much of a dip to get the tailgate lower for ease of load/unload at the destination. I use 2 or 3 folding 8' AL ramps with a slight arc to them, they fold up and fit nicely between the 2 bikes if loaded that way. The worst I have had to do for unloading was down in CA driving .25 miles from the Granddaughters house to a place that had a nice retaining wall around their yard and ask the homeowner if I could use their loading dock. They said sure and I was good to go.

I'm still pipe dreaming a 5th that has a garage big enough for the c14 and my Spyder RT.
If it's the same size as my girlfriend's 13 RTS, it's not looking good for that. Exactly the reason I really haven't looked at one. Thinking about adding an adventure bike too, hence box truck \horse trailer and I need to bolt down a lift too because I do my own work I really need it as a garage too.

I bought a horse trailer 6 years ago for my RZR, It's a 5th wheel., they come in all sizes.

I'm still pipe dreaming a 5th that has a garage big enough for the c14 and my Spyder RT.

Saw what you need at the beach last week. Super class C pulling a tri axle car hauler with a lift inside to fit a SUV under a 1967 Corvette. Just write the check!😊

We're open trailering the bikes to Oregon. I would have loved to have some kind of toy hauler for this trip.

I'll be coming in from Texas with Bob and Robert.
Robert has an enclosed trailer and a new diesel truck..
So we're gonna try it out. :p

Has to be a rush trip as they work for a living. :eek: (I'm retired) (y)

Travel to Ft Worth in the AM on Thursday. (to meet Robert and Bob)
Group Leaving Ft Worth on Thursday afternoon.
Leaving Oregon to come home the last day of the National.

Last edited:
I'll be coming in from Texas with Bob and Robert.
Robert has an enclosed trailer and a new diesel truck..
So we're gonna try it out. :p

Has to be a rush trip as they work for a living. :eek: (I'm retired) (y)

Leaving Ft Worth on Thursday afternoon.
Leaving Oregon to come home the last day of the National.
How's riding in the DFW traffic? I live 2 hours west but the kid lives there. haven't tried going far from home yet.

Big City/heavy traffic. Stoooopid drivers.

But I don't live in the area (I live near Houston (actually Cut and Shoot)).

Worse Big City/heavy traffic. Stoooopider drivers.

Locals can supply info on riding outside the Dallas Ft Worth cities.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited: