• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rear end area clunk

mjsrmiller9825

Hi, Newb here again. I have had my 2009 C14 apart doing tires with my new changer and got back an ecu today. Had bike up on stand after lubing splines, installing wheel and brake plate and caliper. For whatever reason decided to start up and put in gear to view rotation of rear wheel and check brake operation. In low gear at idle it has a pronounced clunk. With stethoscope it appears to be back by the drum and not in the drive shaft. Looked all over the internet and found some with similar problems and a lot of varying opinions of what to do or even whether it was normal. When bike is not running and spinning wheel by hand it
does not clunk and doesn't seem to have any play. Will wait to hear what you folks have to say before proceeding and could quickly pull wheel but not much to go wrong in there that I am aware of. Not that I am not capable of a dumb move. Oil in final drive if that's what it is called is new and full. BTW, I am being as careful as possible while running in gear on center stand in pretty controlled situation in my shop. Stethoscope on drive line area would indicate the noise is coming from behind that. Thank you. Also, I am having trouble finding stuff searching the archives. I promise I will eventually learn my way around and not post too much in the future.

I'm not 100% sure what is the cause but this is normal. I believe it's just some slack in the shaft drive that "clunks" when it's run without any loading. In my experience they all do this when run on the center stand but I have never heard it happen when the rear wheel is on the ground.

I was helping a friend install some new tires last weekend and we noticed that noise when hand rotating the wheel on the center stand. I put my '10 up on the stand and it does the same thing. Good to read this is normal.

Thank you all. This forum was the best investment I have made in a while. In my small world, over the years, I have typically found in things automotive, Clunk=Bad. I will keep an eye on things. I think that all of the fairings and plastic on this bike are kind of like the curtain in the wizard of oz. I need to pull the plastic off one day and suddenly the machine would become manageable. Thanks for taking the time.:)

If you are going to pull that curtain back, it would be wise to have some well nuts, screws and plastic washers on hand. It seems screws and washers run off and the well nuts sometimes break. Murph has well nuts at a reasonable price.

If you are going to pull that curtain back, it would be wise to have some well nuts, screws and plastic washers on hand. It seems screws and washers run off and the well nuts sometimes break. Murph has well nuts at a reasonable price.
Lowes, Home Depot, and most ACE Hardware stores also have Wel-Nuts and plastic washers too. Look in the hardware section where they have drawers of small parts.