• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Radiator and Radiator Fans reinstall.

Offgar612

I am struggling trying to put my C14 back together. Tonight I was trying to install the radiator fans after I got the two radiator bolts at the top in. Found I could barely get my hands inside to screw in the fan mounts, so I took the bolts back out and rigged up a bungee cord to hold the radiator nearly in place. Now one would think to remove the fans and their connectors from the bike and install the radiator with the fans already mounted. I would love to do it that way but cannot get the fan’s power cords to pull out the front! It seems to be getting caught somewhere on the engine. Is there an easy trick to doing this? I’m so frustrated!!

Highly suggest mounting fans to radiator first. The fan cords run on both sides and side fairing removal is required to plug / unplug.

Cords are routed through the plastic shroud in front of the engine.

If you need a pic I can pull form when I did my valve inspection.?

I'm with 2 Blue
The FSM spells this procedure out clearly, do you have one?
When you put the fans on the radiator make sure they spin and are close but do not touch the radiator.
Its easy to bend the fan brackets to fit.
I did this procedure this spring and I thought it was very straightforward, using the FSM/
Nick
2014 C-14

Thanks so much for the info! I do have the FSM. Just didn’t go to the appendix. I got the fan leads out tonight and mounted the fans back on the radiator. I ran out of steam, so I’ll mount the radiator tomorrow or Sunday.
Oh btw, is there torque specs for the 6 Phillips screws attaching the fans to the radiator? I looked all over the FSM and could not find any numbers.
Thanks again for the replies!

Steve
2012 C14

Well that is a bugger! I scoured the Concours, ZX-14 and Vulcan manuals and agree there is a gap.

Suggest if nobody else jumps in with guidance try jingling a local dealership. If that doesn't work then possibly look at one of the various thread torque calculators available online.

Use common sense, no need to go crazy and remember you are mounting to aluminum. I would toss some thread locker on there as well for good measure, really don't want to have them coming loose on you.

Let us know what you find out and where you land.