• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tires Michelin Pilot Road 5 GT's early failure?

duplantier130

Hello everyone I'm brand new to the COG 👋. But not to riding, I've had my 2016 for a little over a year now. And all these years I don't know why I never rode or looked at this bike? Next to my Ninja 1000 or my Aprilia I'd have to say this is the best handling motorcycle in its class especially for its size and weight! Being a sport rider and getting older it pained me to realize that the wife and I are just not as flexible and young as we once were. So last year we doubled down on a C14. And at the time it was huge bike for us in size and weight. Felt like graduating to a GoldWing.. But after a few rides we both became right at home on her. We nick named her "Big Gurl"! And as I'm sure most of you know, "WOW" what an amazing do it all motorcycle! She tours flawlessly, she carves corners like a sport bike and will drone through heavy traffic with out a care in the world, ride through cold weather with ease and even the occasional dirt road. For me here in Colorado and living right up against the mountains I have easy access to the some of the best riding roads in the country. And having lived here for 20+ years I know most of the roads like my old underwear. So I have learned to put "Big Gurl" through the wringer! Cutting hard through the corners and driving fast out of the apexs. And she never complains or even gives me a little push back. She just does what I ask ever time. And gives me smile after mile (LOL). SO... before I ramble on about how amazing this motorcycle is. Let me get to the reason for my post. I bought this bike with less than 3000k miles on it. It now has a little over 10k. I immediately changed out the brand new Dunlop Roadsmart 3's at exactly 2800mi. Which by the way are for sale. And installed Michelin Pilot Road 5 GT's. That first set of tires only lasted 3k miles before the rear started showing severe signs of cupping. And yes I properly maintain them. I opted not to change the front as it did not look any where near as bad as the rear. The front lasted another 4k mi. My question is, why did I see 10k + mi out of these tires on my Ninja and other bikes but less than 7k on this bike? Is it my aggressive riding? Is it her weight? Is it the tires? Does anyone else have issues with the Road 5s? The rear was replaced by the installer through the warranty. Due to the cupping with such low mileage they thought it might have had internal issues. Other riders have told me that I'm way too aggressive for this type of motorcycle and should stick with the Ninja when it comes to corner carving. I don't fully agree with that. So I've just today installed a brand new set of the Road 6 GT's which apparently have greater mileage grip and stability? We will see about that? Oh and caveat: I had a professional mechanic look over the bike for other hidden issues like a loose steering head bearing which I thought could be the issue or some other suspension related issue that could cause tire failure so quickly? And besides a too tight caliper bolt nothing else was found.

Last edited:
It's probably a little bit of many things. I've never gotten 10k out of any tire. One of the hard core riders in my town told me tire wear has a lot to do with how aggressive you ride. I tend to agree. According to your post, you say you're aggressive and your friends think you're too aggressive, so that affects my opinion. I'd say it's part of the cost of your style of riding and move on. It's still probably cheaper than entertaining yourself with ammo!

It's probably a little bit of many things. I've never gotten 10k out of any tire. One of the hard core riders in my town told me tire wear has a lot to do with how aggressive you ride. I tend to agree. According to your post, you say you're aggressive and your friends think you're too aggressive, so that affects my opinion. I'd say it's part of the cost of your style of riding and move on. It's still probably cheaper than entertaining yourself with ammo!
I should have been more exacting in my statement. I have never wheelied, done a burn out, or any sort of stunting on any of my motorcycles including the Connie. But I do love corner carving and do it with Zeal & Zesto! My average corner speeds range between 47 and 75mph so yeah with Big Gurls extra heft I can imagine I'm torturing those tires. But my Ninja got a little over 10k out of a set and my Busa saw almost 9k? My buddies bike gets between 8500 & 9. So I was expecting at least as much? I hope this new set of Road 6's hold up a bit longer? Your response about ammo made me laugh out loud, cause I was just bitchin about the price of it to a friend.

Hello everyone I'm brand new to the COG 👋. But not to riding, I've had my 2016 for a little over a year now. And all these years I don't know why I never rode or looked at this bike? Next to my Ninja 1000 or my Aprilia I'd have to say this is the best handling motorcycle in its class especially for its size and weight! Being a sport rider and getting older it pained me to realize that the wife and I are just not as flexible and young as we once were. So last year we doubled down on a C14. And at the time it was huge bike for us in size and weight. Felt like graduating to a GoldWing.. But after a few rides we both became right at home on her. We nick named her "Big Gurl"! And as I'm sure most of you know, "WOW" what an amazing do it all motorcycle! She tours flawlessly, she carves corners like a sport bike and will drone through heavy traffic with out a care in the world, ride through cold weather with ease and even the occasional dirt road. For me here in Colorado and living right up against the mountains I have easy access to the some of the best riding roads in the country. And having lived here for 20+ years I know most of the roads like my old underwear. So I have learned to put "Big Gurl" through the wringer! Cutting hard through the corners and driving fast out of the apexs. And she never complains or even gives me a little push back. She just does what I ask ever time. And gives me smile after mile (LOL). SO... before I ramble on about how amazing this motorcycle is. Let me get to the reason for my post. I bought this bike with less than 3000k miles on it. It now has a little over 10k. I immediately changed out the brand new Dunlop Roadsmart 3's at exactly 2800mi. Which by the way are for sale. And installed Michelin Pilot Road 5 GT's. That first set of tires only lasted 3k miles before the rear started showing severe signs of cupping. And yes I properly maintain them. I opted not to change the front as it did not look any where near as bad as the rear. The front lasted another 4k mi. My question is, why did I see 10k + mi out of these tires on my Ninja and other bikes but less than 7k on this bike? Is it my aggressive riding? Is it her weight? Is it the tires? Does anyone else have issues with the Road 5s? The rear was replaced by the installer through the warranty. Due to the cupping with such low mileage they thought it might have had internal issues. Other riders have told me that I'm way too aggressive for this type of motorcycle and should stick with the Ninja when it comes to corner carving. I don't fully agree with that. So I've just today installed a brand new set of the Road 6 GT's which apparently have greater mileage grip and stability? We will see about that? Oh and caveat: I had a professional mechanic look over the bike for other hidden issues like a loose steering head bearing which I thought could be the issue or some other suspension related issue that could cause tire failure so quickly? And besides a too tight caliper bolt nothing else was found.

Welcome! I can relate to your issue.
The rear Road 5 on my bike scalloped big time and pretty quickly.
On the front side of the sipe it is low and rounded. The back side is higher and square edged.
Dave Moss would say that is a rebound related suspension problem.
A good friend of mine(race bike suspension guy) says its due to me getting on the throttle hard as I start to pick the bike up and completely normal on a heavy bike.
The tire is wearing better since I installed the Ohlins shock and set it to the recommended settings, but it is still happening.
I suspect it is due in part to the weight I normally ride at(bike,rider,passenger)combined with a heavy throttle hand.
I have a Ninja 1k too, and it doesn't do it to the extent the C-14 does.
I probably won't get but 5-6k miles out of this rear. I will likely put a Road 5 or 6 back on it though, the wet grip is unbelievable.

Thank you for the heads up, if these Road 6's don't hold up I'll drop back to the 4's
Greetings and welcome to COG!

We have a lot in common and I believe many of the experiences that I have shared on tires we share. 2-up, aggressive, let’s get to it riding combined with the C-14 weight spells disaster for these softer tires, in my experience.

The feathering you are seeing is absolutely from the softer material yielding under acceleration and then creating the ‘cupping’ when the material is not being flexed. There is likely not much you will be able to do to prevent (other than change riding habits) but try a harder tire.

2018 - 1H 2021 I was strictly a Michelin tire rider, 3’s, 4’s, 5’s the GT’s etc. Enjoying the extra fun this machine is capable of we would burn the rears quickly (like you). 2021 I launched a quest to find a set of tires that would stick while also lasting, Michelin 4, 5, Pirelli Angel GT II, Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart 3 & Dunlop Roadsmart Sportmax 4.

The best tire for our two up riding was the final tire - Dunlop RSIV. Real world riding 20’s*F - 109*F these guy are great. Dry, wet even a snow day (no accumulation) these tires for us 2-Up aggressive or just put-put are great!

We live in SE Pennsylvania and recently went through and toured around your state and Utah on an 11 day 5,600 mile trip. We were not slouching (obviously!) and the tires I estimate still have about 1,500 miles left. Last set lasted ~6,500 miles.

Wet, dry, cold or HOT - omg we were in Utah during that recent all-time record-breaking heat - these tires have been great. I see you are selling the RSIII’s, I didn’t like them as much as the RSIV’s either.

Hope this helps,

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I bet your tire looked like this:
Road 5 wear.jpg

That tire has 2200 miles on it.
1100 miles since Ivan's flash and Black Widow full system(testing you know).
600 miles since the Ohlins. I may only get 3k out of it, but it is wearing slightly better with the shock, so hoping for 5k.

Greetings and welcome to COG!

We have a lot in common and I believe many of the experiences that I have shared on tires we share. 2-up, aggressive, let’s get to it riding combined with the C-14 weight spells disaster for these softer tires, in my experience.

The feathering you are seeing is absolutely from the softer material yielding under acceleration and then creating the ‘cupping’ when the material is not being flexed. There is likely not much you will be able to do to prevent (other than change riding habits) but try a harder tire.

2018 - 1H 2021 I was strictly a Michelin tire rider, 3’s, 4’s, 5’s the GT’s etc. Enjoying the extra fun this machine is capable of we would burn the rears quickly (like you). 2021 I launched a quest to find a set of tires that would stick while also lasting, Michelin 4, 5, Pirelli Angel GT II, Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart 3 & Dunlop Roadsmart Sportmax 4.

The best tire for our two up riding was the final tire - Dunlop RSIV. Real world riding 20’s*F - 109*F these guy are great. Dry, wet even a snow day (no accumulation) these tires for us 2-Up aggressive or just put-put are great!

We live in SE Pennsylvania and recently went through and toured around your state and Utah on an 11 day 5,600 mile trip. We were not slouching (obviously!) and the tires I estimate still have about 1,500 miles left. Last set lasted ~6,500 miles.

Wet, dry, cold or HOT - omg we were in Utah during that recent all-time record-breaking heat - these tires have been great. I see you are selling the RSIII’s, I didn’t like them as much as the RSIV’s either.

Hope this helps,

Wayne, Carol & Blue
I may have to try a RS4, thanks @2andblue !

View attachment 33049

600 miles since the Ohlins. I may only get 3k out of it, but it is wearing slightly better with the shock, so hoping for 5k.
To me this is beyond feathering and into the melting stage.. or so I call it. On the Dragon or similar roads the (on the 4’s, 5’s) the softer edge compounds from high road abrasion, constant high temps / force I would look like what you have here. I would then take it down a notch.

RSIV’s have been much better in this area.

Also - yes I noted an improvement when I went to the properly sprung Penske double-adjust shock in 2020.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I should have been more exacting in my statement. I have never wheelied, done a burn out, or any sort of stunting on any of my motorcycles including the Connie. But I do love corner carving and do it with Zeal & Zesto! My average corner speeds range between 47 and 75mph so yeah with Big Gurls extra heft I can imagine I'm torturing those tires. But my Ninja got a little over 10k out of a set and my Busa saw almost 9k? My buddies bike gets between 8500 & 9. So I was expecting at least as much? I hope this new set of Road 6's hold up a bit longer? Your response about ammo made me laugh out loud, cause I was just bitchin about the price of it to a friend.
I gave you the benefit of the doubt in regards to wheelies, burnouts and stunting. Per your example, corner carving with zeal and zesto is enough to shorten the life of tires. It is what it is. You could have worse problems. Last but not least, it doesn't make a feller all bad.🤣

I have a 2019 Concours and mainly tour with it. It has 46k on it. The only tires I've used are the Rode 5GT's. I get at least 10k on both the front and back tires.
Are you riding / touring aggressively and do you ride 2-up + loaded (weekend getaways).

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Yes and yes 👍. My wife is an excellent passenger and is capable of riding herself but chooses to ride copilot. We have toured on the Connie bags n all but turn down the aggressive riding a few notches. Once we drop off the bags it's full on fun! I have almost scraped my exhaust and occasionally touch down my pegs only when two up. The first time we did it we were riding Black Canyon just outside of Gunnison, CO. It really scared the beans outa both of us! Not fun when your hard over and you hear that sound! You immediately want to stand the bike up but that would cause major line change issues. First time it happened we both yelled "What was that?" into our mic's! Instant full panic mode (LOL)! My Ninja is too tall to do that on. The only other bike I ever did it on was my Yamaha GTS 1000, riding from Fort Collins to Estes Park up the Big Thompson River Road that was 20yrs ago and I was solo. Came up to a decreasing radius turn I'd ridden many times before. But this time I came in a little hot and "SCRAPE"! Almost had to change my shorts 😱🤯

Last edited:
To me this is beyond feathering and into the melting stage.. or so I call it. On the Dragon or similar roads the (on the 4’s, 5’s) the softer edge compounds from high road abrasion, constant high temps / force I would look like what you have here. I would then take it down a notch.

Also - yes I noted an improvement when I went to the properly sprung Penske double-adjust shock in 2020.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
Thank you for this info. I will look into the shock set up.

I may have to try a RS4, thanks @2andblue !
Wow this is exactly what I'm experiencing. Thank you for your info and insight. I actually have a set of Dunlop 4's sitting in my shed. If these 6's don't hold up, I will be putting them on. I took them off the bike because I have grown to trust only Metzler or Michelin tires. Had a scare with Dunlops in my 20s, lost the back end goin round a corner in Phoenix.

Wow this is exactly what I'm experiencing. Thank you for your info and insight. I actually have a set of Dunlop 4's sitting in my shed. If these 6's don't hold up, I will be putting them on. I took them off the bike because I have grown to trust only Metzler or Michelin tires. Had a scare with Dunlops in my 20s, lost the back end goin round a corner in Phoenix.
Sorry I'm new to this posting stuff. I have Face Book but almost never use it. So I'm a little rusty plus I'm new to COG so getting used to sending my replies to the right owner (LOL). Also I thought my Dunlops were 4s had to go look at my own post... 3's duh? So yes I will try
the RoadSmart 4s hopefully I can convince my wife that they will be as safe and sticky as the Michelins?

Welcome! I can relate to your issue.
The rear Road 5 on my bike scalloped big time and pretty quickly.
On the front side of the sipe it is low and rounded. The back side is higher and square edged.
Dave Moss would say that is a rebound related suspension problem.
A good friend of mine(race bike suspension guy) says its due to me getting on the throttle hard as I start to pick the bike up and completely normal on a heavy bike.
The tire is wearing better since I installed the Ohlins shock and set it to the recommended settings, but it is still happening.
I suspect it is due in part to the weight I normally ride at(bike,rider,passenger)combined with a heavy throttle hand.
I have a Ninja 1k too, and it doesn't do it to the extent the C-14 does.
I probably won't get but 5-6k miles out of this rear. I will likely put a Road 5 or 6 back on it though, the wet grip is unbelievable.
Thank you for your info Pmack. I appreciate your detailed response and I believe you are spot on 👍. Too bad we couldn't meet up to ride together? Do you love your Ninja as much as I do? I've owned many bikes with more Sport or more power. But the Ninja is just an incredible motorcycle. The wife and I toured on it for years, till she finally asked me to upgrade to a bigger touring bike. That's how we came across the Concours. Definitely not as nimble as the Ninja but Supremely more comfortable.

Last edited:
View attachment 33049

Oh and yes my tires looked a lot like that, except I wore down to the tops of the wear bars all the way around. Front was all gumballed n tattered with bluing. Rear was cupped and feathered to the edge.

Yes we ride 2up and loaded but turn down the aggressiveness a bit😁. Most of our primary riding is after we've dropped off the bag's.
Most of our riding is 2-up and a good amount of that loaded (weight lol) as well.

We had the Dunlop RS3’s break loose one time on cold (just left parking lot) and wet roads. RS4’s never.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Wayne, Carol & Blue
You nailed that. 500 of the last 600 miles put on it were in the Smokies, one 250 mile day solo, one 250 miler two up.
Foothills Parkway, Blue Ridge Parkway sections, Dragon and Cherohala Skyway were all hit on that trip.
I don't drag pegs solo or two up on the street, I keep about 15-20 % in reserve at all times.
On the 190/55 Michelin, it is right where the Michelin Mans head is near the edge of the tire.
I have a track bike for getting crazy.

Thank you for your info Pmack. I appreciate your detailed response and I believe you are spot on 👍. Too bad we couldn't meet up to ride together? Do you love your Ninja as much as I do? I've owned many bikes with more Sport or more power. But the Ninja is just an incredible motorcycle. The wife and I toured on it for years, till she finally asked me to upgrade to a bigger touring bike. That's how we came across the Concours. Definitely not as nimble as the Ninja but Supremely more comfortable.
The Ninja 1k is a blast.
Mine is a pretty heavily modded 2011.
If you haven't had Ivan's Performance flash it, I can highly recommend that you do.

We took the same path to the Concours.
I bought an ST1300, not sporty enough.
Bought the Ninja 1k, not enough room or comfort for 200plus mile 2 up riding.
Concours 14 for 2 up riding now. Ninja 1k for short 2 up and solo riding.
She has a Ninja 400 of her own, and I bought one so we could ride those together on the street.
I have been doing track days on the 400, but I may have to take the N1k too next time.

Another thing to consider besides weight, suspension set up and riding style is that the Connie has 15 lbs more torque from the motor than the 1000 (depending on mods). You're probably not going into the turns as hard as you would with the Ninja and you're probably on the throttle harder coming out of the turns. My friend Mike Canfield (who works for Yamaha's race team) said he's never seen a bike come out of the turns as hard as the Connie. The "4 link" suspension and engine torque combine to make a bike that is a beast for it's size and weight.

Welcome to the Connie world.

Mark

Another thing to consider besides weight, suspension set up and riding style is that the Connie has 15 lbs more torque from the motor than the 1000 (depending on mods). You're probably not going into the turns as hard as you would with the Ninja and you're probably on the throttle harder coming out of the turns. My friend Mike Canfield (who works for Yamaha's race team) said he's never seen a bike come out of the turns as hard as the Connie. The "4 link" suspension and engine torque combine to make a bike that is a beast for it's size and weight.

Welcome to the Connie world.

Mark
The only thing limiting my corner exits(1st through third anyway) on the Ninja 1k is the front tire's proximity to the ground or how bad the rear is spinning up. The Concours spins the rear in any gear before lofting the front. Maybe the Connie is faster off the corner because it is less wheelie prone? I could see the Connie loading the tire heavier than the N1k would.

Last edited:
I have riden my 09 C14 for about 12k miles & it loves to eat tires, especially if you ride a little aggressive like I do, & the bike can certainly handle it! I'm on my 3rd set of tires. Normally you get 2 rears for every front but I have changed both out each time as the front didn't seem to have enough to warrant leaving it on & I would not have felt safe. Dunlops went real quick it seemed. The 3rd set is Pirelli Angel/ST's & I like them a lot though it seems I'm going to get the same mileage out of these too (about 5k). Next I will try the Michelin Pilot 5's as I have heard good reviews.

I have riden my 09 C14 for about 12k miles & it loves to eat tires, especially if you ride a little aggressive like I do, & the bike can certainly handle it! I'm on my 3rd set of tires. Normally you get 2 rears for every front but I have changed both out each time as the front didn't seem to have enough to warrant leaving it on & I would not have felt safe. Dunlops went real quick it seemed. The 3rd set is Pirelli Angel/ST's & I like them a lot though it seems I'm going to get the same mileage out of these too (about 5k). Next I will try the Michelin Pilot 5's as I have heard good reviews.
Which Dunlop did you try?

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Yes the treads look like that but I don't remember the exact model, I just know they wore out too fast.
Maybe something for you to try-

With our machine we ride 2-up >95% of miles and also have a rather spirited ride. We burned through many models and flavors of tires with some of the dismal mileages you account. Michelin PR3, PR4, R5; Dunlop RSIII, Pirelli Angel GTII…. That is until we tried the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart IV - we are getting ~ 6,500 miles per set. We could even see 7,000 on this current set.

Highway or twistiest roads one can find, wet or dry, snow and 30*F (no accumulation just a skin on the road) to 109*F in Utah these things have performed flawlessly for us and (repeating myself) the ONLY tire that could take our weight / aggressive riding style and get burned burn up AND the performance stays solid the entire life of the tire.

I ride tires down to just above the wear bars. Likely wasting money but if my rear is toast I will always replace front at same time even if there’s half a tire left (usually the case).

Anyway - maybe it’s the same Dunlop you tried, maybe not. Double check and if different give it a shot. For some the experience may be different, however, I am critical of how my machine performs and we use a lot (not all / probably none of us do or in my case not skilled enough to) of it’s capability.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Maybe something for you to try-

With our machine we ride 2-up >95% of miles and also have a rather spirited ride. We burned through many models and flavors of tires with some of the dismal mileages you account. Michelin PR3, PR4, R5; Dunlop RSIII, Pirelli Angel GTII…. That is until we tried the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart IV - we are getting ~ 6,500 miles per set. We could even see 7,000 on this current set.

Highway or twistiest roads one can find, wet or dry, snow and 30*F (no accumulation just a skin on the road) to 109*F in Utah these things have performed flawlessly for us and (repeating myself) the ONLY tire that could take our weight / aggressive riding style and get burned burn up AND the performance stays solid the entire life of the tire.

I ride tires down to just above the wear bars. Likely wasting money but if my rear is toast I will always replace front at same time even if there’s half a tire left (usually the case).

Anyway - maybe it’s the same Dunlop you tried, maybe not. Double check and if different give it a shot. For some the experience may be different, however, I am critical of how my machine performs and we use a lot (not all / probably none of us do or in my case not skilled enough to) of it’s capability.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
Thank you so much for your in depth response, it is greatly appreciated! I think the Dunlop was a Sportmax but don't know if it was the exact one you are talking about. I will definitely look into it, again thank you. Craig

I've been watching the tire treads for years. People's mileages vary a LOT.
#1 The Connie is a heavy girl. It's gonna wear out a lot of tires.
(Particularly if you fall into the aggressive profile)

#2 The biggest contributor to short tire life is how you ride.
(Go back and look) In this discussion, all that are getting poor mileage also report to be aggressive riders and/or riding 2 up aggressively.
So the answer is; It's your riding style that is giving you significantly shorter tire life.
The cure is; Stop being aggressive. (Yea, I know. That's not gonna happen). (y)

#3 That sed; There is another factor involved in the guys that get longer life.
That factor is; your riding area. Flat/open or steep/twisty or hot/cold or etc/etc..

#4 Over the years, we've noticed that the guys who get long life out of their tires are from up north, or northeast.
Not sure why it occurs, but we see it a lot. Don't know if it's the road surfaces, average temperatures, or (??) that causes it.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:

(Go back and look) In this discussion, all that are getting poor mileage also report to be aggressive riders and/or riding 2 up aggressively.
So the answer is; It's your riding style that is giving you significantly shorter tire life.

That factor is; your riding area.
Over the years, we've noticed that the guys who get long life out of their tires are from up north, or northeast.
Not sure if it's the road surfaces, average temperatures, or (??) that causes it.

Ride safe, Ted
Hey Ted, I live in So. Cal. so the tires are hot most of the time which doesn't help, & yes I will never stop twisting the throttle, it's too much fun. Also I never ride passengers, & we have a lot of canyon riding so thats a contributing factor. I used to have a C10 that got totaled 2 years ago in a head on, I survived after 6 days in the hospital & 2 surgeries. I'm all good now & love my C14 as I think it's a safer bike than the C10. All the best my friend! Craig

That factor is; your riding area.
Over the years, we've noticed that the guys who get long life out of their tires are from up north, or northeast.
Not sure if it's the road surfaces, average temperatures, or (??) that causes it.

Ride safe, Ted

I think number 3 is the biggest factor. Since moving to SWMO and most my riding is in Arkansas now, I'm barely get 4k out of a set of tires. ... can you say chip & seal.🤔🤪😟

But if 2andblue is getting that kind of mileage out of the Dunlop RSIV, I might have to give those a try.😎🏍

Stay focused and stay cool
Dale

Nebraska. I only had the c14 one year before moving. I got a pretty good size hole in my rear tire at my first rally on the c14, so I put on a set of Michelin road 5 gt's before leaving for RWTW in Georgia then Arkansas for a few days then the Spider ride before heading home, a total of 4700 miles and they were at the wear bars. I went back to Avon 3d xm storms after moving and didn't even get 4k miles, all Arkansas roads.
Before that I had c10 and was getting around 7k for miles.

Dale

I think number 3 is the biggest factor. Since moving to SWMO and most my riding is in Arkansas now, I'm barely get 4k out of a set of tires. ... can you say chip & seal.🤔🤪😟

But if 2andblue is getting that kind of mileage out of the Dunlop RSIV, I might have to give those a try.😎🏍

Dale
Give em’ a shot, I bet you will not be disappointed.

Dale
The Connie is just a heavy beast and powerful so I don't think there's any remedy for getting a long mileage out of tires. I've tried three different sets and they're all getting about the same, 5K and they are no longer safe.

Personally, I'd go back to the Dunlop RS3s. There's nothing wrong with those. In fact, they are one of the best value tires sold. I've gone through three sets of them.

Dunlop doesn't make a GT version of their tires. You'll find the sidewalls are stiff enough to handle the weight of the C14 without needing a "GT" version. The RS4 gave me a couple thousand more miles...but not enough to justify the extra cost.

You'll get more miles out of your tires by riding smooth. My guess if others are telling you that you're riding too aggressively, is you brake at the last moment, then give it full throttle out of the corner. That momentum change gets put where the "rubber meets the road"...literally.

I have thought that I had better cornering technique when I had my 34 hp Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter. I couldn't rely on the engine to make up for a lack of finesse in my cornering technique, so I had to ride smooth keeping my speed up. I could keep up with more powerful bikes, and even pull away from some...because I was faster in the corners than they were. As I started riding more powerful bikes, I started relying more on the brakes and throttle.

Chris

Personally, I'd go back to the Dunlop RS3s. There's nothing wrong with those. In fact, they are one of the best value tires sold. I've gone through three sets of them.

Dunlop doesn't make a GT version of their tires. You'll find the sidewalls are stiff enough to handle the weight of the C14 without needing a "GT" version. The RS4 gave me a couple thousand more miles...but not enough to justify the extra cost.

You'll get more miles out of your tires by riding smooth. My guess if others are telling you that you're riding too aggressively, is you brake at the last moment, then give it full throttle out of the corner. That momentum change gets put where the "rubber meets the road"...literally.

I have thought that I had better cornering technique when I had my 34 hp Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter. I couldn't rely on the engine to make up for a lack of finesse in my cornering technique, so I had to ride smooth keeping my speed up. I could keep up with more powerful bikes, and even pull away from some...because I was faster in the corners than they were. As I started riding more powerful bikes, I started relying more on the brakes and throttle.

Chris
Thanks for your input. I have been riding 46 years & consider myself a very good rider. I use my brakes as little as possible, using engine braking extensively! I'm not going to ride like a grandpa to get an extra 1000 miles out of my tires, I'll pay the price to have fun on my C14! All the best, Craig

I was originally happy with the Michelin Road 5 tires on my 2019 Versys LT+, and was thinking this would be the first tires to go 9-10,0000 miles for me. Nope! Some spirited riding at the COG NE Spring Fling had the rubber literally hanging off the tires. I went down to the wear bars in one 258 mile ride. I never saw a tire drip rubber like this, almost like black tinsel. I mounted up a set of Michelin Road 6 last night hoping their claim of 10% improved wear is true. The Road 6 set cost $137.00 more than the Road 5. I got 7789 miles out of the tires.Versys Road5.jpg

Quit braggin'.
I never get even 5000 miles on anything I've tried.

Remember the Twist of the Wrist is directly proportionate to the Wear of the Tire. (and Gas Mileage)

Heck Ted and I never get more then 3,000 miles out of a rear tire, but that's the trade off for enjoying the twisties in North Central Arkansas.

I do 13000 km with the rear tyre on my 1000 GTR, everything depends on the driving, the road surface, the road styles, the type of motorcycle...there is a lot to say about the tires