• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

'08 C14 in shop for 9 months and won't start.

punkynlew

Nine months ago I discovered the front tire was badly worn and had cords showing. The rear brake and ABS didn't work and the mechanic, Chris Jones, in northern Florida said I needed a 4 psi check valve in the oil line that feeds oil to the turbo-charger he installed to stop smoke from burned oil in the exhaust. I bought new tires, oil and filter, brake pads, rear master brake cylinder and a 4 psi check valve. I was afraid to ride the bike on the badly worn tire and had it picked up by a truck and delivered to the only motorcycle repair shop in the town, Lehigh Acres, where I live in SW Florida. I got an estimate and agreed to $720.

Five months later the mechanic said the new rear master cylinder didn't fix the brake problem and he thought the problem was a bad ABS pump module. A new ABS pump is over a thousand dollars so I told him to forget it. I'd been riding the bike with only a front brake for 4 years. I've been watching E-Bay and finally found a used ABS pump for $150 and bought it, but I'm afraid to ask the mechanic to install it. Also he said the check valve I provided was for air not fluid. He said everything else was done, so I paid him $775. The bike wouldn't start so I had to leave it. Now 4 months later the mechanic, Oziel Lezcano, says he replaced the battery and it still won't start and now thinks there is an electrical problem. He says the fuel pump runs when he turns the ignition on. I told him I don't understand why there would be an electrical problem. The bike ran when I sent it to his shop. He mentioned that they had drained the fuel (obviously because they thought it may have gone bad). I suggested that if they had tried and failed to start the bike, the fuel may have been bad from sitting and not running for so long and it may have clogged the fuel injectors. Oz just called me and says that after many hours of working on it, the bike still won't start. He asked me if I want him to send it to me or wait for another month before he would be able to spend more time on my bike. I told him I would wait a month. I don't know what to do. I've never in 83 years heard of anything like this????? I sent an email to the local CBS news station and asked if they had an interest in investigating the matter. I haven't heard back from them.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm not sure of how experienced these mechanics are with the C14, but whenever a bike won't start, most people on this site point to the ground at the frame. Have they checked that?

I am guessing it cranks fine?

Did they perform a basic check to see if there is spark?

SISF is down there somewhere - not volunteering him in any way - but maybe send him a message. Not certain the logistics but he knows his stuff. Also - any Kawasaki dealership ‘should’ be able to help I would think.

I would definitely launch a BBB complaint on these guys - not cool..

Does the BBB have enforcement powers? Not that I'm aware of. All they do is register complaints. If you're out to warn others, your post here, and a ton of other places should do the job of spreading the word. Yelp is one that comes to mind. If Steve in Florida would look at your bike, I'd take it to him. He has the knowledge and a bunch of integrity. You need both! Best of luck with your troubles.

now thinks there is an electrical problem
Even more basic...do they know what a FOB is? My local shop mechanics guys didn't. There is a troubleshooting guide in the repair manual. Walks you thru on how to do everything, if you have decent reading skills.

Last edited:
A competent MC mechanic should be able to troubleshoot this problem. Doesn't need to be a Kawasaki dealer mechanic, either.

I would look around and try to find an independent MC mechanic who could help. Maybe you could contact some local MC clubs or COG members and talk to the members that could point you in the right direction ?

Good luck - it may be a real simple problem, like a connector that wasn't plugged in all the way, etc. , etc.

It does crank. At the shop when Oz tried to start the bike it cranked and let out a loud bang from the exhaust. Nothing I ordered him to do had anything to do with the electrical system. It was all brakes, tires and oil changes.

I now live in the same town as Chris Jones, Chiefland, Fl. Chris is a world champion engine builder on the zx14's, and he did my initial dyno work when I was first building my flashes, before I bought my own dyno. He's also the mayor of Chiefland. Chris is a very knowledgeable and stand up guy. whatever he did, or told the customer to do, would be done right. Now there is a second mechanic involved, down in Lehigh, far south of here. That's where the issue seems to be. I don't want any part of this, but I would strongly advise the OP to contact Chris for his take on what's going on.
Steve

Sounds like you need to cut losses and let Oz send the bike back to you . I certainly wouldn't want him working on it after all that nonsense .