• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

09 C14 wont climb over 5k when under load.

BrokenVessel

Ive abused the search bar enough on this one. Just picked up an 09 with 144k on the clock. Well loved thats for sure. However at full throttle, power just dies out at 5k. Bike came with the 25 pound service manual. Things I should look for?

Thanks guys. The weather here is supposed to take a turn this week so I'll have some time to tinker.

This the kit you're referring to? Would it be wise to do the fuel pressure regulator while there? I dont know how often those wear out but if the trains rolling, might as well blow the whistle. The black finger smudges all over the service manual are a promising sign to me of a fairly well maintained machine.

Thread drift light on.
Freddy you should reconsider and join COG, I just did.
I filled up my F150 a couple of days ago and that was 110 bucks; joining COG seems pretty cheap really.
Would be sad to see you go over a few bucks, your a wealth of information.

Thread drift light off..
Nick
2014 C=14

Yes - OFF TOPIC - But I'm on the other side of the world Nick as you see in my signature line. I like to give useful information where I can but I ain't gunna pay for the privilege.

"Freddy you should reconsider and join COG, I just did.
I filled up my F150 a couple of days ago and that was 110 bucks; joining COG seems pretty cheap really."

Yup. Averages almost $4 US a month.

Still OFF TOPIC - $US4 is almost $A6. I'm an old age pensioner/rider/retired mechanic/truck driver. And fuel here is about $A5.50 a gallon. o_O

But to get back ON TOPIC - the pressure regulators do fail by way of a reduction in pressure occasionally tho I haven't had that issue my self.

A recent discovery was made by a fellow owner here Down Under whereby he did the filter change, pump change and regulator change but still had a glitch. He found a 2nd filter screen inside the regulator housing.

Another contribution to COG before I get kicked off. :cry:

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The weather here is supposed to take a turn this week so I'll have some time to tinker.

This the kit you're referring to? Would it be wise to do the fuel pressure regulator while there? I dont know how often those wear out but if the trains rolling, might as well blow the whistle. The black finger smudges all over the service manual are a promising sign to me of a fairly well maintained machine.
I remember a thread about a problem after replacing a fuel pump and it did turn out the regulator had gone bad. IMHO, to be safe it would be a good idea to replace the regulator.

Freddy, I'm gonna miss the way you zero in on a problem.

Aww shucks - I'm just an old battler who likes to help folks out.

šŸ‘‹ bye. (not sure of the precise date I get evicted)

I haven't seen MOB on here for a long time. I hope he's ok. Perhaps he's been silenced coz of his sharp tongue?

Last edited:
A recent discovery was made by a fellow owner here Down Under whereby he did the filter change, pump change and regulator change but still had a glitch. He found a 2nd filter screen inside the regulator housing.

Another contribution to COG before I get kicked off. :cry:

1st I've heard of this filter, thanks for posting as it's good information to have!

Hate to see ya go Freddy. :(

Yes, it was news to me too. He did the flow tests to pin point the problem - 12 out of 10 for him identifying it. I have read a couple of reports over the years of a replacement pump assembly being the only solution to the issue after new pressure regulators and pump elements didn't fix it. Now we know why.

I haven't seen MOB on here for a long time. I hope he's ok. Perhaps he's been silenced coz of his sharp tongue?
MOB has been ill and not participating for that reason.
Recently I've been trying to contact him {to see how he's doing}. No replies.
Has anyone heard from him?

Ride safe, Ted

I'm glad this post has brought so many old friends together lol. I'll update this as soon as I get parts installed. In the mean time there are plenty of other little jobs to be done. Extra wires ran for heated grips, GPS power dock, battery tender etc are in pretty rough shape and being composed of primarily electrical tape, many a short ready to happen. She will continue to be loved I assure you.

OFF TOPIC

So he's just a humble Guest these days. That's lower than a Forum Subscriber ain't it?

An update. Got the pump and regulator installed and.....WOW. That is the performance i was expecting......for all of 15 minutes maybe and started to bog again. Unfortunately I think Freddy was correct in assuming the pump outlet would be clogged as well.

It seems that the link I posted in reply 17 doesn't work unless you sign up to that forum. At the request of another forum subscriber - who is also about to get booted off here in a coupla days - and as a courtesy and a farewell gesture to my fellow C14 owners in USA, the information given on the Australian GTR forum is copied & pasted below. I hereby acknowledge the good work of RPRETLOVE who is the first to identify this hidden secondary filter screen.

There have been many discussions about the INLET sock/filter, and the claim from Kawasaki in the past, that this was not replaceable, although on later models they changed their tune, however, I have not read on this forum any information about the OUTLET mesh screen.

So I thought I would share my experience.

My bike ( 2008/55,000km) was hesitating/bogging down under load at high RPM (6500rpm+) and as this can be a sign of a lean mixture, I followed what others have done and replaced the pump/pressure regulator and INLET filter sock, from QUANTUM in the USA. (#HFP-386) $USD115.00

At first I thought the problem was fixed and I took off for Sydney from Bundaberg, however, on my return trip, it started doing it again, but not as bad as before.

So I did a flow test when I got home, and I got 35ml in 3 seconds. (the Kawasaki Service Manual states minimum of 67ml in 3seconds)

I then pulled the pump out again and after a few flow tests on the bench, I discovered that the pump worked as advertised when the top plastic housing (pump in/pressure regulator/pump out) was removed.
So I had a close look into the hole where the pump outlet goes into the plastic housing (next to regulator) and discovered a fine mesh screen (OUTLET FILTER). This makes sense, because all EFI systems that I have ever been involved with, have a inlet sock/filter (about 100 microns) and a fine outlet filter (10-30 microns)

It is difficult to see, but if you use a torch and shine through the fuel inlet hole (about 1/8 dia) you can just see a bit of the screen.
You can not open this part and get to the screen, so I took the plastic top cover to Bundaberg Diesel Injection and they put it in a Ultrasonic bath overnight ($33.00)

Now the flow rate is 105ml in 3 seconds and the bike is like a new one.

The photo is of the housing in question.

I hope this helps someone who may be having this problem.

IMG_20201025_093609.jpg (3.39MiB)

Last edited:
It seems that the link I posted in reply 17 doesn't work unless you sign up to that forum. At the request of another forum subscriber - who is also about to get booted off here in a coupla days - and as a courtesy and a farewell gesture to my fellow C14 owners in USA, the information given on the Australian GTR forum is copied & pasted below. I hereby acknowledge the good work of RPRETLOVE who is the first to identify this hidden secondary filter screen.

There have been many discussions about the INLET sock/filter, and the claim from Kawasaki in the past, that this was not replaceable, although on later models they changed their tune, however, I have not read on this forum any information about the OUTLET mesh screen.

So I thought I would share my experience.

My bike ( 2008/55,000km) was hesitating/bogging down under load at high RPM (6500rpm+) and as this can be a sign of a lean mixture, I followed what others have done and replaced the pump/pressure regulator and INLET filter sock, from QUANTUM in the USA. (#HFP-386) $USD115.00

At first I thought the problem was fixed and I took off for Sydney from Bundaberg, however, on my return trip, it started doing it again, but not as bad as before.

So I did a flow test when I got home, and I got 35ml in 3 seconds. (the Kawasaki Service Manual states minimum of 67ml in 3seconds)

I then pulled the pump out again and after a few flow tests on the bench, I discovered that the pump worked as advertised when the top plastic housing (pump in/pressure regulator/pump out) was removed.
So I had a close look into the hole where the pump outlet goes into the plastic housing (next to regulator) and discovered a fine mesh screen (OUTLET FILTER). This makes sense, because all EFI systems that I have ever been involved with, have a inlet sock/filter (about 100 microns) and a fine outlet filter (10-30 microns)

It is difficult to see, but if you use a torch and shine through the fuel inlet hole (about 1/8 dia) you can just see a bit of the screen.
You can not open this part and get to the screen, so I took the plastic top cover to Bundaberg Diesel Injection and they put it in a Ultrasonic bath overnight ($33.00)

Now the flow rate is 105ml in 3 seconds and the bike is like a new one.

The photo is of the housing in question.

I hope this helps someone who may be having this problem.

IMG_20201025_093609.jpg (3.39MiB)
Excellent Freddy!

To put this to bed finally. Pulled the pump yet again and took a piece of wire with a small hook at the end and scratched at the "screen' in question and lots of black gunk came off. The filter inside looks to be more of a fine perforated metal vs a metal screen, none the less it was very dirty. Several scrapings followed by carb cleaner, bike runs like a stabbed rat again.

That's good to hear. I will buy myself a small ultrasonic cleaning tub from ebay for when I have the pump our next.

Looks like my fuel pump is going out and will need to be replaced. I have the Quantum Fuel pump ordered, but I also ordered the fuel pressure regulator. Here's my question. Where is the fuel pressure regulator found? Is it inside the fuel pump housing? Can't seem to find any info on how to change this out.

Thanks
Steve

It is in the pump unit

It is not hard to replace ,

remove pump unit from tank ( ride it til it empty )
Take pump unit apart
R&R all the parts
Put back together the way you took it apart.