• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

1000 grasshoppers singing in unison

SteveL-J

Being relatively new to the Connie, currently have a 98, I'm curious about the 1000 grasshoppers singing in unison when riding.
The sound dissapates when I pull the clutch and coast.
I've seen posts about adjusting the balance shaft can't seem to find exactly what/where to do so and is that the problem or.... Am I missing something? PO states he is/was unaware of the grasshoppers. The bike had carbs rebuilt at a local dealer who cannot be recommended.
Any ideas, tips, insights, links gratefully received.

Per the Clymer manual "Rotate the balancer shaft counterclockwise until you hear a distinct whirring
or chirping, when rotate it clockwise until the noise disappears."
If that does not cure the noise check the engine mounting bolts.

The balancer adjuster is on the right front of the engine. Adjust with cold engine running.
Screwdriver in the slot loosen the holding bolt and adjust. Don't let the shaft slam into it's stop.

Hmm could not find a reference in the Clymer. Will take another look later.
Thanks for the info tho'!

Found a couple o things today, more fairing damage than first suspected from a stationary drop. Grrr.
And the Balance Shaft adjuster... problem is after following the instructions, cold motor, loosen the clamp while holding screw driver in place, it would not budge in either direction! Not even a scooch, no movement at all.
Any ideas?

Balancer is covered starting on page 173 and adjustment is on is on page 178.
I don't know what to do if it will not move. Other than just keep working with it.
It's also possible the clutch  drive  could be the problem

Stupid question but I have to ask, "cold motor and ..... Wouldn't budge" you did have the motor running when you held the adjuster while unclamping and tried to adjust the balancer. Maybe someone let it slip and it got slammed to a stop.

As mentioned it may be the clutch drive chirping away removing metal shavings. I would get it figured out.

There are no stupid questions. Plenty of stupid answers though.
Motor was idling prior to releasing clamp and holding shaft.
Does this mean dropping transmission?

There are 2 bolts that hold the balance shaft adjuster in place.
One clamps the adjuster, the other holds the clamp in place.
Both bolts need to be loosened to adjust the balance shaft.
Once both are loosened, hold the balancer adjuster in place with a screwdriver and have someone else start the bike.
Either pre-warm the bike before you do this or then wait a few mins whilst the bike warms up.
Then adjust the balancer counter-clockwise until it starts chirping.
Now adjust it clockwise until it just stops chirping.
Now hold it there whilst someone kills the motor, and then tighten up the 2 bolts to hold it all in that position.
If it's the balancer adjuster causing the noise, that should solve it.

I'd be surprised if it's the alternator chain tensioner causing the noise as that is more of a rattle or clatter noise than a chirp.

Any way to record the sound ? I haven't heard of many needing to adjust the balancer only that some have tried thinking it would help with the bikes buzz . This may have happened with a previous owner I suppose .

Thanks for replies. Will try again today.
Due bad hail storm in April we are having roof and siding replaced...bit of a distraction to wrenching 😠

Boomer said:
There are 2 bolts that hold the balance shaft adjuster in place.
One clamps the adjuster, the other holds the clamp in place.
Both bolts need to be loosened to adjust the balance shaft.
Once both are loosened, hold the balancer adjuster in place with a screwdriver and have someone else start the bike.
Either pre-warm the bike before you do this or then wait a few mins whilst the bike warms up.
Then adjust the balancer counter-clockwise until it starts chirping.
Now adjust it clockwise until it just stops chirping.
Now hold it there whilst someone kills the motor, and then tighten up the 2 bolts to hold it all in that position.

Looking at Clymer page 178 are you saying bolt "C" (picture 159) needs to be undone too? Manual does not indicate that in instructions. Only place "C" is mentioned is replacing oil seal.

https://youtu.be/Mw9o7F-oIqk
Sound is not "obvious" when in neutral -to me- only when running on the road, the crickets quiet when I pull in clutch/coast.
I'll try to record while riding tomorrow.
I'd welcome anyone in Chicago area to visit/offer an opinion.
Thanks

I don't have the Clymer so can't comment.
Attached is a modified grab from the Kawasaki Service Manual.
Pre-warm the engine until it'll idle at 1000rpm with no choke, then shut down the engine.
Both bolts A and B need to be loosened but not removed.
You then put a big screwdriver in the slot on the end of the balancer adjuster, hold it in place, and then start the engine.
If it's chirping turn clockwise until it stops.
If not chirping turn counter-clockwise until it does, then turn clockwise until it stops.
Then kill the motor whilst holding the screwdriver in place (easier with 2 people) and tighten A & B to hold the adjuster in place.

Attachments

• Balancer Adjustment.jpg
    Balancer Adjustment.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 114
It's still stuck. Won't move in either direction. Could a PO -already asked the one prior to me- have fubar'd the shaft, if so solution?

As you know to do this properly the engine case should be split to gain access to balancer and shaft.
If all is loose it should turn realitively easy,if not it's stuck! I would try to turn it clockwise. I think this moves the
gear out of engagement. Maybe someone will correct me if I am wrong. If as you have said if won't turn I
would find a screw drive that fits properly in the slot, apply pressure while hitting the end of the screw driver.
Some penatrating oil around the shaft end might help some. See if the shock will brake loose the shaft. Just
a backyard fix, maybe.

If the chirping goes away with clutch disengaged or in neutral, it doesn't seem that the balancer shaft would be the issue, as it spins the entire time the engine is running, regardless of clutch or neutral status.

I do believe that is the intake (the air rushing into the carbs through the air box) sound you are referring to... its very distinct to these bikes and why I call my ZG1000 Cricket.