• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

'14 gladius saved for learner bike

m in sc

Street Cruiser
so, i procured this theft recovery '14 sv, irt was pretty beat up, but i got it sorted out. its ok, decent bike but IMHO pales in comparison to the 1st gen in lots of ways. (even if its technically better in some).  That being said, my main reason to get it and sort it out was because my GF angie wanted to learn to ride. she asked me, i never pushed her to learn. Keep in mind, the 1st time when was even on a bike in her 44 yrs was 2 1/2 years ago, on mine.

also, one complication is that shes 4'10".  So, lowering any bike is a must aside from some BS 250 rebel or the like.
Upside is shes in fantastic shape, works out 5 days a week, and spent 15 years of her life as a competitive gymnast. so, balance and strength aren't an issue. the 25" inseam however is challenging.  :rotflmao:

So, i lowered the back almost 2.5", the front 0.85" and spent a few days last week getting her out in large parking lots to learn. so far, doing really well. especially on a 400+ lb bike. dropped it one time almost dead stopped, lucky i fit crash bungs/frame sliders so no damage.

accelerated starts, clutch control, brasking, stopping/starting 1 foot left/right on uneven surfaces, an shifting gears are pretty much well under her belt now. Neutral seems to be a sticking point but she'll get it.

My bigger concern is she likes to go fast in cars, and when we are on the bike. I hope she keeps i t under control at 1st on this thing. But i think she will do extremely well in the long run. Now that we are off vacation (we were on legit vacation time last week) the lessons will be a bit harder to do, but i think in a few weeks she will be ready, and an msf course is in the works. I'm pretty proud of her.

angie-sv_2-scaled.jpg

angie-sv_3-scaled.jpg

angie-sv_5.jpg

;D

well, I learned on an 81 cb750. so, yeah lol. tbh, itsthe biggest bike shell ever ride so start at top I say

You need cones! I commend you for finding a great safe place to get the feel of 1st and 2nd gear. She needs cones in a parking lot to simulate real world conditions. I have "helped" people before to get their license and the student needs to be able stop, turn and go as if bounded by the real world. Cones help you set a course that that will give her parameters to do the things in slow motion that we have to do on the street. Took an advanced rider course with 2 COG members who are certified motorcycle instructors last spring. Never got out of the parking lot and it was the best $100 I spent. They were so creative in their use of cones to set courses that could really challenge an experienced rider. Different radius turns, weaves, stops and starts were defined by placing cones across the parking lot.  It will amaze you how intimidating cones can be to a new rider. But better to hit a cone than some other object out in the "real" world. Good luck and I hope you and your lady can ride many miles with smiles together!  :great:

Bike looks great Mark! :great:  Go Angie! :great: :motonoises: :motonoises:

good point regarding the cones, or non impact visual markers. the last 2 times we went out we were in a different lot that has about 600 parking spots, arrows, etc (was the north american headquarters for altas copco compressors and cp tools, i actually used to work there). They have moved, but the lot is there unused and gave plenty of visual markers to do just that.  I have had her practicing stopping with both feet alternately, shifting while hitting 'point a' or 'by that line' doing figure 8s, u turns, stop.. coast, take off, etc, etc. i just didn't take pics there. 

pretty sure we are heading back out today after work for a few hours.  :motonoises:

I helped a neighbor get his motorcycle endorsement once. He didn't want to take a course where successful completion gave him an endorsement. He got a learner's permit and after DMV closed; we went over to their parking lot that had the test painted on the asphalt. I showed him how the course worked (by reading the test manual) and then both of us did the course repeatedly until he owned it. We did this about 6 different times. An observer might have thought we working out some type of motorcycle dance. He showed up for his test on his 650 Kawasaki KZ and the examiner asked him if he was sure if he wanted to take the test on that big bike. Test was no problem, he was ready.

I think a course given by a certified instructor is the best way to get the endorsement. Good luck!  :great:

I hear ya.

for some, yes. I'm pretty sure i could get her taught well enough to pass, and shes actually a hell of a driver in a car as well with manual transmission experience.  I've done it (teach how to ride) about 7-8 times over the years with other friends, but i suggested she take the msf to get a different perspective or fill in gaps i may have left out, and without the stigma of any emotional attachment. they do them on rebel 250's here, so should be a cakewalk.  So, when shes ready she will do that then get her license.  :beerchug: