• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

1998 Concours clutch issue

Kawi KZ1 Kid

My 1998 Concours has sat for several years and upon getting it mobile this summer, it has a clutch issue, initially had the carbs done and then when I picked it up from my mechanic, the clutch wasn't releasing all the way and it was slipping, ordered new fibre disks and rebuild kit for master and a couple other things for clutch from Burnaby Kawasaki, flushed the system, put the new pieces in and thought it was trouble free, yesterday I took it in to fuel up and just momentarily gave the throttle a blip going down hill on pavement and it gave a little instant slip, then going home if I tried to accelerate a bit fast it slipped, so I was careful with the throttle and got home okay, I hope some of our readers can shed some light on what needs to be done to correct this problem. I have never had a clutch problem with this bike before, I did notice that when I got it back from having the work done that the clutch lever seemed a little to firm for my liking though it may be my imagination there. Thank you for any 'light you can shed' on this problem.

My 1998 Concours has sat for several years and upon getting it mobile this summer, it has a clutch issue, initially had the carbs done and then when I picked it up from my mechanic, the clutch wasn't releasing all the way and it was slipping, ordered new fibre disks and rebuild kit for master and a couple other things for clutch from Burnaby Kawasaki, flushed the system, put the new pieces in and thought it was trouble free, yesterday I took it in to fuel up and just momentarily gave the throttle a blip going down hill on pavement and it gave a little instant slip, then going home if I tried to accelerate a bit fast it slipped, so I was careful with the throttle and got home okay, I hope some of our readers can shed some light on what needs to be done to correct this problem. I have never had a clutch problem with this bike before, I did notice that when I got it back from having the work done that the clutch lever seemed a little to firm for my liking though it may be my imagination there. Thank you for any 'light you can shed' on this problem.

Did you rebuild the slave cylinder ? Pretty unusual for the clutch itself to go bad from sitting .

Did you clean out the smaller hole in the bottom of the master reservoir?

The small hole hole is the return hole and if it's clogged the clutch will work when it's cold but as it warms up the fluid expands and will make the clutch slip.

You should be able to see fluid return to the reservoir thru this hole when the clutch lever is pulled and released.

If you get it good and heated up, where it starts slipping and then clean out the small hole with a thin piece of wire, it will shoot out of the hole as it gets cleared like a fountain ... right into your hair and eyes! DAMHIK.