• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2 up rear shock adjustment

nickrides

Gents
I rarely ride 2 up, but this afternoon I took my 14 yr old son 150lbs for a blast.
I turned up the knob on the rear shock 4 clicks.
Does this seem to be in the  in the ballpark?
It seemed to handle fine BTW
Nick
2014 C-14

Nick what is your combined weight and where was your starting point i.e. 17 clicks in?  Also have you ever measured the suspension sag for just you?  Will you be riding more 2-up in the future?

If the motorcycle handled great, never bottomed wasn’t too stiff sounds you are in the ballpark but if truly wanting to dial in or understand if the stock spring is enough to handle then a sag measurement would be best.

Lots of great posts / guidance on sag setting within the forum, owners manual. 

No I've never touched the settings.
since I bought it in June '19 it seemed to me to be very planted and stable at all speeds.
I've been meaning to do the full test as outlined in the suspension thread, I'll try and do that soon.
Thanks for the encouragement to get it done.
BTW I'm 6'0" 225 dressed to ride with probably 5-10 lbs gear touring locally.

I very rarely ride 2 up, only have about 5-8 times in 40 years I'd guess, my wife won't ride, she's a Er nurse, too scared.

Current tires are RS2 's

Funny side story last night on C 145 we were cruising at about 60 when a car pulled out in front a oncoming car in the opposite lane. They were going to hit and did collide so I clamped on full brakes, not being sure if they were going to stay in their lane.  I had told my son how the brakes on the C-14 were powerful and you have to hang on if you really apply them hard.
After we stopped he said " You weren't kidding when you said you have to hang on tight at full braking"
He can see over my head on the back seat and saw the whole thing coming.
Ride Safe in 2020
Nick
2014 C-14

Sounds you have a lot more 2-Up riding coming, only 5-8 times in 40 years and two of those in the last few days.  This could be a great hobby / connection with your son.

If you want to understand where you are back adjusters out the entire way counting clicks so you can put it back. 

When we purchased our 2017 new from dealer we rolled away hover touching suspension adjustment, later to find a terribly harsh ride - dangerously harsh.  The dealer allowed us to roll away with adjuster at zero clicks (zero additional preload).  We bottomed out on numerous bumps - crazy...  after 3 hour ride home we set suspension and much better but in the end swapped out stock for Penske.

Glad you are enjoying time with your son, stay safe and yes binders are good on C14.