• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2000 ZG1000 Throttle Cable replacement

ericg73941345

Just purchased a C10 and looking at replacing both throttle cables. Is their any literature on how to remove/assemble the cables at the housing?

There is a little info in the shop manual about adjustment, but not details about the cables in the throttle itself.
It's a pretty straight forward, job. But it is tedious...

Ride safe, Ted

There is a little info in the shop manual about adjustment, but not details about the cables in the throttle itself.
It's a pretty straight forward, job. But it is tedious...

Ride safe, Ted
Thanks Ted, I have seen the information in the manual but was just curious on the throttle assembly. This is my 1st motorcycle and am going through everything before I start riding and I noticed the throttle was sorta hangin up

If it's hanging up. Checking it before riding is pretty important.
If anyone is near you with experience, I suggest you get some assistance.

I can't type a step by step from memory, but you would start by removing the tank and look everything over.
Photo's on your phone is a good backup for routing etc...
Then do 1 cable at a time, carefully matching the routing.

See if you can adjust them and maybe lube them before replacing . Alot of times they have just been neglected for years . Never a bad idea to replace them for piece of mind though . I have heard of some folks replacing them and leaving the old cables partially routed in case of a break on the road .

^ + 1, there has to be freeplay at the throttle, in other words when you try applying throttle there should be no throttle cable pull for about 1/8-3/16" of the first throttle rotation. If there is none of this throttle freeplay the cables will fight each other and cause a hang up. Easy to adjust the freeplay back in. Where are you located maybe near another member that can walk you through this?

There are little tidbits that new owners need to know, such as remove the painted Side panels below both sides of gas tank before removing gas tank as they are not in the way but can get scratched by tank upon tank removal and installation.
The 2 hold down bolts for the gas tank are pretty animic and need close attention not to break them off when removing them, and most of us who are going to keep and work on our own bikes replace them with Bergmans quick tank release available from Murphkits. https://murphskits.com/bergmen-engineering-fuel-tank-quick-release-for-your-concours/

Last edited: