• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2009 RECALLS?

buzzard53

Should have a new to me 2009 connie arriving in two weeks.
I was wondering if the 09 model year had the same side case and rear brake recalls as the 08's. Or were these issues resolved prior to 09 production run.
Thanks,
KG

The same. The side case recall was a red hook changed to a orange hook. These are the hooks that actually locks the bag to the bike. The brake recall was two separate recalls. The problem was rocks would collect on the rear brake linkage (square) and cause the brake to drag or even lockup. So they invented a "rock guard" which went over the linkage. It did not fix the problem. The final rear brake recall fix was the new linkage was round so rocks couldn't collect on the it. This worked out great with no further linkage/rock issues.

The revised brake linkage that goes from the rear of the brake pedal it is rather short. It has lock nuts on it where the rest of the linkage is threaded into it.

The hooks....are attached via linkage to the bag handle. When the handle is put into the locked position, the hooks should engage and lock the bag to the bike. Read Should.

The red hooks would actually break and the bag would fly off at the first available bump. With the orange hooks I have learned to visually check to ensure the hook is engaged to with the slot on the bike. Some have decided to pin the bags. I choose to visually inspect the hook orientation before each flight. It's pretty easy to tell if the hook is seated in the slot. It is either it is or it is not. The "is not" will allow the bag to fly off at the next bump. Assume nothing. Ever. About the time one assumes the hook is latched without looking, suddenly there is a missing bag.

With the red hooks there were a couple of guys (maybe more) who lost a bag rolling down the freeway. It's been awhile since there has been any discussion on flying bags.

Congrats on the 09. These are awesome machines. Tim

Last edited: