• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2010 C14 Leaking Fuel from vent lines

Viper

This summer , fuel started to leak from around the rubber vent lines on the left side of the bike. It seems to stop once a certain level is reached. (1/4) tank.
So the question is, has anyone else experienced this? Is it leaking from the metal vent lines "inside" the tank ? OR Has the "evap" system something to do with this?
Any help or suggestion will be appreciated.

The vent lines that you mention are probably the drain lines. (From the gas cap area)
Their purpose it to allow any fuel or water that is in the cap pocket to drain.
They pass thru the inside of the tank, and yes others have had the same problem.
The thought is the drain line has a hole corroded thru it (inside of the tank).
Probably from water getting in near the cap, not draining [because the drain line is stopped up], and corroding)
**That corroded hole allows fuel from inside the tank to leak into the drain line and out the back.

There was talk about putting a small hose thru the drain line to allow water to drain and sealing the old drain line itself. (Around the OD of the hose with silicon adhesive)
I'm unsure if a solution was ever found.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
The vent lines that you mention are probably the drain lines. (From the gas cap area)
Their purpose it to allow any fuel or water that is in the cap pocket to drain.
They pass thru the inside of the tank, and yes others have had the same problem.
The thought is the drain line has a hole corroded thru it (inside of the tank).
Probably from water getting in near the cap, not draining [because the drain line is stopped up], and corroding)
**That corroded hole allows fuel from inside the tank to leak into the drain line and out the back.

There was talk about putting a small hose thru the drain line to allow water to drain and sealing the old drain line itself. (Around the OD of the hose with silicon adhesive)
I'm unsure if a solution was ever found.

Ride safe, Ted
Thanks for the info.
You say it is a common problem but I did not find a post covering it. Must be an older one.
I seem to think that I will test to see if the cap (water) drain is the culprit or if it is the fuel cap vent side. (there are two separate vents ,top and bottom)
If it is the "drain" for water, then I will try blocking it at the outlet of the tank. The water can simply run down the side of the tank as the cap is sealed.
If it is the "vent" side, I might try extending the line to a high position , say higher than the cap height to see if that will solve it.
A new tank is quite pricey. I am concerned that any type of SEALANT may cause contamination in the fuel resulting in even more issues.
The inside of the vent tube is very small diameter. Not sure what size would fit inside. An outside tube, glued to the "hole" would likely be a lot of trial and error.

Ivan
Canadian Prarie Rider

This has happened to others, but I don't think it's a very common issue.
I may not be calling the line by the proper name.

Open your gas cap. Look in the area exposed after the cap is opened.
You will see a hole at the left front of the painted area.
That hole drains water that is caught after a rain or wash.
It would also drain fuel (if you spill some) during a fill up.
There is a steel line below the hole that passes thru the tank.
That is the line I am talking about.

Warning: Plugging that hole/line could allow accumulated/trapped water to get into the tank when you open the cap.

As I sed, I'm not sure if a fix was developed.
Will see if I can find the discussion.

Ride safe, Ted

The hard lines inside the tank have probably corroded. I suspect you're looking at gas tank replacement. Ethanol (E10) gas is highly corrosive when it absorbs moisture. If you can get gas without ethanol where you live, I would recommend it.

The photo below is looking in toward the top of my own gas tank. You can see corrosion starting to form on the hard lines and even on the top surfaces of the tank some. This is from ethanol. Ethanol laced gas not only absorbs water, but it holds that water in suspension. This causes the gas to become corrosive to anything it contacts.

large.jpg

Last edited:
Fred, do you have any thoughts on maybe using a little TCW3 as a metal coating like we used in the C10's to keep the carbs clean?

Now I am considering cutting the metal lines off at approx 2 inches from either end, and sliding some flexible fuel line over each end , and finally securing that line to existing anchors. So long as the new "hose"cannot come in contact with either the fuel level float or the fuel pump assy, this might be just the ticket. Of coarse, metal filings must be controlled and the new cut edges must be chamfered.

Fred, do you have any thoughts on maybe using a little TCW3 as a metal coating like we used in the C10's to keep the carbs clean?

Some type of rust conversion coating probably would be a good idea, though I've had a hard time finding it lately. The old RustResolver I used in the past is no longer made.

Now I am considering cutting the metal lines off at approx 2 inches from either end, and sliding some flexible fuel line over each end , and finally securing that line to existing anchors. So long as the new "hose"cannot come in contact with either the fuel level float or the fuel pump assy, this might be just the ticket. Of coarse, metal filings must be controlled and the new cut edges must be chamfered.

I'll be surprised if you're able to do this, access to the inside of the tank is nearly impossible. The photo I posted was taken with fuel pump removed looking in through the bottom of the tank. Pump hole is only a few inches in diameter.

I've been putting a little TCW3 in my C-14 too. Figured that it couldn't hurt.
My thought is; possibly the tubes corrode internally (or get trash trapped in them) and hold water.
So, I occasionally blow a little compressed air thru them, and add a few drops of light oil.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Here is the discussion i was thinking of;

Last edited:
For the rest of us that don't have this problem yet, maybe pulling the tank from time to time for some maintenance would be advised. A good soak with rust 911 would remove any and all of the rust inside. A gallon makes 16 and costs $60 on Amazon. I've been using this stuff on my ZR2 project. It's not acidic and non toxic. It's amazing.

My thought is; possibly the tubes corrode internally (or get trash trapped in them) and hold water.
So, I occasionally blow a little compressed air thru them, and add a few drops of light oil.

Ride safe, Ted

Thank you very much for finding this info.
I will next determine which of the metal hoses is leaking.
Which and where the leak is will determine the next step.
Thanks again.

Ivan

Ride safe, Ted

No TCW3 in the gas for a C14 unless your cats are removed. Oil will plug a cat. Don't know how long it takes but the oil will plug them.

Blowing the vent lines out once in a while followed by some light oil might be a great idea.

Hello again. well , first of all, Thanks to all who replied. The PIC of the inside was helpful. I did determine that it was the DRAIN tube that was leaking. I did pull the fuel pump and look inside with a mirror. Yes, the opening is quite small. It was not apparent as to where the leak could be, along the hose either. I did consider trying to coat the entire length of the tube with fuel resistant sealant. The access size really is not suitable to do that efficiently. I am now of the opinion that a replacement tank is the correct solution. However, as this bike belongs to my son, and he is even cheaper than his Dad, the temporary fix will be to plug the outlet (on the left side bottom) and seal the inlet hole under the cap. This will stop fuel leakage, not effect venting, and prevent water (etc) from entering the tank through the "drain pipe". We have already discussed that he will need to be super vigilant about liquid collecting under the cap. He seems to think that because the bike is now always stored inside, and he will cover the cap during riding in the rain, it should be a viable way to go until a replacement tank can be sourced (or he can wedge his wallet open far enough to replace it).
So now my thoughts go to "HOW TO PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING TO MY C14". I will start NOW to blow the drain line clear with compressed air and spray some WD40 through it every 10,000 Km's or so. Hopefully this will not happen to my 2011 with only 8,000 Km's on the clock.

Ride Safe, Ivan
Canadian Prairie Rider

Well, after much twisting and turning in an attempt to even FIND the actual leak point in the "drain line"(in the tank), I have decided to go with saving up for a new fuel tank. In the mean time, I have simply blocked the line both upper and lower and will do whatever it takes to keep the fill area free of H2O (and other stuff). This will , of coarse, work to keep the gas in. Fuel here is roughly $5.80 per US gallon so having leak out is not an option. Thanks again for the input.

Ivan