• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2011 Concours 14 fuel issue

kevinbuckner

I recently purchased a 2011 Concours 14 with very low miles. The bike does not want to pull up thru the RPM range in the upper gears. It isn't missing or stumbling, but acts like it is running out of fuel. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

One of the only common issues with the c-14 is fuel pump / fuel filter issues. Your issue sounds typical.

Word to the wise, the Quantum pumps seem like a great value, but I have seen several instances where folks had to replace the new pump 2-3 times and still have issues. In each case an OEM pump solved the problem.

Steve

Kevin what is the current mileage of this 2011 machine, I see you note very low miles.

Any maintenance records from PO?

How many miles have you put on her - you don’t have a tankful of really old gas right?

I see long time subscriber, is this your first C-14?

This has been a not uncommon problem. In many cases a new fuel sock solved the problem. Quantum sells them in a 3-pack.

How many miles on your 2011 ??

Here is a pic of my old fuel sock ( on right, of course ) next to a new Quantum fuel sock @ less than 20K miles on my 2008. The old fuel sock was coated with some build-up. I wasn't having a problem, but replaced the sock after reading about the problem on this Forum. I was doing the 20K mile service.

I don't see why you couldn't measure the flow with the old sock and then new sock. If you see a big change, the pump is probably OK.

The fuel pressure regulator could be a possibility, too. It's part of the fuel pump assembly.

Fuel Sock B.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a pic of my old fuel sock ( on right, of course ) next to a new Quantum fuel sock @ less than 20K miles on my 2008. The old fuel sock was coated with some build-up. I wasn't having a problem, but replaced the sock after reading about the problem on this Forum.

View attachment 30716
I will preemptively change my sock soon - 17’ with mid 40’s-K miles. Not a lick of trouble here; however with more than 1,000 gallons of fuel having flowed through - undoubtedly there will be some ‘patina’.

I'm having pretty much the exact same problem on my 2010. I can ride all day with no problems with light throttle inputs, no error codes on the dash, bike rides pretty steady at 3-4000 RPM's while going on the highway in OD. When I pull on the throttle to pass a car, the bike just stutters (falls on it's face) hard...back off the throttle and the bike recovers. At first I suspected it might be bad fuel. Drained the tank, filled with fresh 93 octane, back on the road...no better, or worse. I did change the fuel filter about 2 years ago, the first one on the bike (second owner here) and it was black! Now I'm going to be trying to locate a new fuel pump. Anyone have a part number for a Walbro replacement??

One of the only common issues with the c-14 is fuel pump / fuel filter issues. Your issue sounds typical.

Word to the wise, the Quantum pumps seem like a great value, but I have seen several instances where folks had to replace the new pump 2-3 times and still have issues. In each case an OEM pump solved the problem.

Steve

I did change the fuel filter about 2 years ago, the first one on the bike (second owner here) and it was black! Now I'm going to be trying to locate a new fuel pump.

Sounds like what I recently had going on with my '21 and it wasn't because of the fuel pump. Three areas that I was able to manage maintenance on myself with limited tooling.
1) fuel pump assembly was removed and thoroughly cleaned out top to bottom with Gunkout Carb Cleaner and a lint-free cloth (plus some Qtips.
2) fuel cap vacuum cleaning
3) fuel pressure regulator cleaning

Once I disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled both of these my issues disappeared. Of course I was pulling hard up in the top end of the rev range in 5th and 6th gears when I noticed fuel starvation (while lower gears pulled just fine all the way to 10.5k RPM), but the issue has not reoccurred in the past 2k miles since I put it all back together.

Even had the machine over to the Texas Hill Country to rip it up on the 3 Sisters and surrounding G1 and G2 roads. She purred like a cat and gave no hesitation when I yanked it full WOT on some of the Mexican highways.

So before making the investment in an expensive item like the fuel pump assembly, try the small stuff at home first maybe?

Attachments

• IMG_6864.JPG
    IMG_6864.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6858.JPG
    IMG_6858.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6750.JPG
    IMG_6750.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6693.JPG
    IMG_6693.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6692.JPG
    IMG_6692.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 79
There is a screen mesh filter inside the plastic housing..... I am told. I have had mine out 3 times over the years... have not seen it. Anyone have a picture of that?

I notice you have 2 different regulators there. Different model from Quantum ?

Yes sir, the one on the right side is the new unit and it does NOT fit into the fuel pump housing on my OEM '21. Haven't been able to locate the one on the left anywhere, even doing searches with the numbers printed on it.

There is a screen mesh filter inside the plastic housing..... I am told. I have had mine out 3 times over the years... have not seen it. Anyone have a picture of that?

It's not REALLY a screen mesh filter so much as it is built into the pump housing, which seems really difficult to have accomplished in such a tiny space. But here's the link to the post from Freddy with the photo of where it can be found. I honestly did not see this object in my OEM housing, so it must be on some but not other machines. https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/fuel-pump-filters.55415/post-665133

Freddy gave props to JustCliff for having posted the original photo, and I'd like to once again thank everyone who helped me sort out my issue.

Texas...thanks very much for the photos, and thanks to others for the comments about their experience with fuel issues, always a big help. A while ago, maybe a year, there was a thread on here, I think the title was "Interesting Diagnosis" covering the same problem, with more details about fuel pumps, regulator, filter, and the vent line that goes through the tank. Good thread that covered everything on, or in the tank, that could cause fuel starvation conditions. That's the thread I was looking for when I first encountered this problem. Can anyone direct me to it?? It's getting cold here in the northeast, riding time is dwindling down fast. I'm gonna put a new filter in and clean the screen on the regulator, see if that fixes the problem before i have to prep the C14 and the other bikes in the garage for the winter. I will let you know if the new filter and screen clean fix the problem. Thanks all!