• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2011 Ky Daniel Boone National Forest Ride 8/26-8/28

dreambike

Training Wheels
Ride headquarters will be at Abner's Motel in Stanton, Ky and I have the same block of rooms held this year.  All the rooms are non-smoking, two double beds and include fridgerater.  Please reserve your room in advance so we can fill up the whole wing like last year.  Abner's cancellation policy: let them know within 24 hours of check in and there is no charge.  Credit card info is required to hold the room but will not be charged until check in.  There should be a small group discount but I do not know the amount at this point.  You must tell them you are with the COG RIDE to get the correct rooms or if you are a smoker there are smoking rooms available.  Here is a link to their website. 
http://lilabnermotel.com/Abnersinstanton.htm

There are no fees, t-shirts or provided meals for this event.  Speaking of food, Abner's is within walking distance to some good food, cheap!  That's usually where we gather to eat each night and I'm sure they appreciate the business.

For those of you who have not attended, I will have some homemade maps of the area that have all the good stuff marked.  You can create your own adventure or join up with other attendees, either way you just can't go wrong with this area.  I will be showing up Thursday evening and ready to ride Friday morning. 

Thanks to everyone who attended last year and I hope to see you again this year.  I look forward to this every year now.  Larry, KyAAD

Yes sir, this is a good weekend!  I will be leaving from Carrollton, GA on that Thursday so if anyone wants to ride up with me, just let me know.  I'll post some pictures of last year's ride before too long...

Larry and Brian;

I'm replying as this is a possible, as it stands right now.  That way I'll be alterted when someone else posts, thus keeping it in my mind.  As for DB forest, I spent one of the best weeks of my life there on a Suzi 185, but that was MANY years ago. 

tcars
John

This is an awsome ride.  I have been the last two years and it only gets better.  Will be making my reservations soon.

As promised, a link to the pictures I took last year and also a picture of the 1st annual foot race this past year that was between the youngest attendee and the AAD for the NC area.  Click on the link for the rest of the pictures I took as well.  :) 

http://rides.webshots.com/album/578498289SSFvhH

Trucker:  I sure hope that boy comes along again.  I think he enjoyed the weekend!

:)      Yes this is a great ride . Nice twisties and nice people .
My Wife and I have reservations at Natural Bridge State Park Lodge for Fri and Sat. nite . I plan on doing the Saturday ride .

Everybody ride safe ,
Paul

Sorry, guys, I will not make it this year.  We have a wedding to attend that Saturday.  Have a safe ride and toot your horn in the tunnel for me.

Hi Larry, Thanks for setting this up again. I'll be there. Good times and close to home. I got some heavy duty duct tape if needed.

Larry:

I won't able to make a decision on this until late, like a few days before.  With that said, should I bring my tent or just hope to find a room there or nearby?  I will say this, I need to get out of here for a bit, but my calendar and the weather will dictate.  If this heat wave continues, I won't be there.  Still looking for a comfortable spot here in the classic south.

sprint said:
Hi Larry, Thanks for setting this up again. I'll be there. Good times and close to home. I got some heavy duty duct tape if needed.

Hello David.  It's great to hear from ya.  I was thinking of using some tape on the way over and save my rubber for the good stuff.  ;D

Which day will you be showing up?

John said:
Larry:

I won't able to make a decision on this until late, like a few days before.  With that said, should I bring my tent or just hope to find a room there or nearby?  I will say this, I need to get out of here for a bit, but my calendar and the weather will dictate.  If this heat wave continues, I won't be there.  Still looking for a comfortable spot here in the classic south.

Hello John.  You should try to make this ride if possible.  We have had great weather at the end of August and there should be a room for ya, just may not be grouped with us if you wait til close to ride time.  I'd like to meet you, it's nice have new faces every year. 

Just a few weeks away from this ride!  I am telling you, it's a good one... So, who all is coming along to have a great weekend?

Brian:

If this heat wave continues (and it looks like it is) I'll be right here, either near or in the AC.  We've hit 100 or higher the last two days, that was the temp, heat index was over 110.  I finally rode three nights ago (yes, at night, late, and looking out for Bambi) after a short sudden temp drop.  I'd not even been on a bike for over a week.  Now I had places I had to go, but I went in the PU with the AC.  My PU has gotten more miles in the last month than any month prior for years.  I ride more in Dec and Jan than I have this last month (July).  Heat and getting older is obviously not mixing well. 

Now yall have a great time, with or without me.  Where you have the ride, well there's not a lot better in Ky.  Like I've said before, I spent one of the best weeks of my life riding in Daniel Boone, but it was on a Suzi 185 many years ago.  Have a GREAT one! 

Pray for a cool front for 4-5 days.

I was in this area two weeks ago.
IMG_2004-1.jpg
These are some great roads. Abners motel is the same as always. Its plain, adequate, cheap and best of all CLEAN. Bruens is serving up good food and within walking distance. This is a guaranteed great ride, JUST Do It! Shots from last years ride.
IMG_8105-1-1.jpg

IMG_8107-1.jpg

So is there an itinery of rides?  I wont get off until 4 or 6 on fri afternoon and dad and myself will hopefully ride up fri night or saturday morning and stay saturday night.  Located in Knoxville tn

I just ran mapquest and I am 6 hours away. My knee may have me in my motel room all weekend if I make that ride :mad:

Eddie_Bohanan_TN said:
So is there an itinery of rides?  I wont get off until 4 or 6 on fri afternoon and dad and myself will hopefully ride up fri night or saturday morning and stay saturday night.  Located in Knoxville tn

I will be through your area on Thursday afternoon, as I normally meet my Dad on that night and then we will hang out Friday waiting on others to show up.  If you get off on Friday at 4 you will be good to go and not be too late getting in that night if there are no problems.  We'll be looking for you!  ;D

Dano said:
I just ran mapquest and I am 6 hours away. My knee may have me in my motel room all weekend if I make that ride :mad:

It's ok, the ride over will be good and we'll make sure you have a good time once you get to Stanton! :beerchug:  You don't have to ride every mile everyone/anyone else does, it will be a great weekend!

Sigmeister said:
I was in this area two weeks ago.
IMG_2004-1.jpg
These are some great roads. Abners motel is the same as always. Its plain, adequate, cheap and best of all CLEAN. Bruens is serving up good food and within walking distance. This is a guaranteed great ride, JUST Do It! Shots from last years ride.
IMG_8105-1-1.jpg

IMG_8107-1.jpg

Gary,  I hope you plan to make it this year!  I want to hear some more snake stories!!!!  I also think I know that there will be someone that can talk to that BMW owner that came with you last year and have something in common, if he makes it back from the National with the bike in one piece! :))

Well Brian I will be there and since you brought it up, we could stop in the Ky Reptile Zoo and see some friends of mine or go road hunting in the area for Copperheads and Timber Rattlesnakes. The Reptile Zoo is the next exit south from Stanton on the Mountain Parkway. Its a pretty neat place and I might be able to get us a discount.
1000-2.jpg

Gary, you are not right!  You don't have to worry about getting any type of discount for me!  I am stoked about this ride, just can't come up with anyone here in Georgia to ride up with me...

Brian:

Don't write me off yet, I want to go and need to get out of here.  The weather is the only item, I can't take off enough clothes to ride in this heat we have been having.  But I can ride at night, don't have a problem with that.  I just slow down and keep a healthy watch out for Bambi.  Yes, and I do run deer whistles.  :)

Moto2wheelin said:
Gary, you are not right!  You don't have to worry about getting any type of discount for me!  I am stoked about this ride, just can't come up with anyone here in Georgia to ride up with me...

Larry,
I was hoping to make your ride this year,but a conflict has come up. Have a good time.

Tony K
Union Mo.

Tony K said:
Larry,
I was hoping to make your ride this year,but a conflict has come up. Have a good time.

Tony K
Union Mo.

Wow, I have to wake up.  There is a page 2 and I didn't notice.  Hello Tony.  I wish you could make it, I know you'd like the area.  A couple of guys are talking about doing some dual sporting on Saturday and that's right up your alley.  Maybe we'll have to start pitching tents to get you over here. ;) 

Dano said:

Hello Dano.  Six hours isn't bad.  I would stop about eight times during that ride and yours knees will never know they were on a bike.  If you get some pain, Gary might have a reptile to numb it. ;D 

I think dad and I are about 4 hrs away (Knoxville, TN) and Im pretty sure im gonna drag him up there :)  hes one of those guys thats all talk and no show.

Hi Larry,
When do you plan on arriving on Thursday? I'm 45 min. north in Lexington (Joined you guy's last year...Had a GREAT time) & have booked a room for Friday and Saturday night. Trying to decide if it's worth coming down Thursday night. Will you be riding in that area during the day Thursday?

Thanks,

Lance Coleman

I think from everyone I have spoken with that most will just be arriving on Thursday afternoon.  It will help make for a great day of riding on Friday!!!!

LightThatsRight said:
Hi Larry,
When do you plan on arriving on Thursday? I'm 45 min. north in Lexington (Joined you guy's last year...Had a GREAT time) & have booked a room for Friday and Saturday night. Trying to decide if it's worth coming down Thursday night. Will you be riding in that area during the day Thursday?

Thanks,

Lance Coleman

Hello Lance.  I'll be coming in late in the afternoon on Thursday.  I have to work a half day in the morning then I'll turn on the afterburners about lunch time and hit the big roads to get there before dark.  I'll be ready to ride first thing Friday morning.  Can you make it for a Friday ride? 

Eddie_Bohanan_TN said:
I think dad and I are about 4 hrs away (Knoxville, TN) and Im pretty sure im gonna drag him up there :)  hes one of those guys thats all talk and no show.

Drag him up there Friday evening.  Riding, eating and swapping stories is how we get to know each other so well.  Best bunch of guys to hang out with since I've been attending rides.  Come on up!!!!

Hi Larry,

I will absolutely be there for the Friday morning ride. Can't wait to catch up with everyone. Great Roads...Great company...& Great food.

Lance Coleman

laker9142 said:
I'll be there thurs eve for riding on Friday morning. Cant wait to see and ride with everybody!

David

Hello David.  It's been too long.  We need to have a spring ride, it's too much fun for just once a year.  Glad you can make it and can't wait to hear some of your national rally stories.   

Do we know what time rides and things are gonna start?  Dunno if we're gonna be able to make it now :(  Seems like dads all talk and no play....

Eddie_Bohanan_TN said:
Do we know what time rides and things are gonna start?  Dunno if we're gonna be able to make it now :(  Seems like dads all talk and no play....

Riding will begin immediately after breakfast, @ 8:30

Just ride without Dad and tell him what a great time you had when you get back. 

Eddie_Bohanan_TN said:
Really thinking about it................ I wont get off till 6 and its about a 4 hour drive. Let me ponder on it.

Is it really Dad or...  Just kidding, come ride with us, you'll have a great time! :)

Well heres our (HIS) thinking, We live 4 hours away, I wont get off till 6.  The quickest way is up 11W.  He doesnt wanna be going through the ntl forests after dark due to Bambi.  IIIII on the other hand have no problem with it, carry a gun and we'll cook out that night if we run into one  :beerchug:.  Is there a specific ride on saturday morning maybe we can catch up too and intercept?

I don't know exactly where you are but I did a streets and trips route from downtown Knoxville to Stanton and it says 3 hours 19 minutes and I can usually beat those times by a little.  The route goes up 75 to 627 to Winchester then down the mountain parkway to Stanton.  All major roads.  I've been on 11 and it's not going to be fast especially at night.  If you don't feel comfortable then don't do it, we'll see ya at the next one.

Eddie_Bohanan_TN said:
Welp I book the rooms for Fri and Sat night!  So I'll be there.  is there a pool or anything?

There is a pool at Lil' Abner about 10 miles down the road.  Same ownership and we are welcome to swim there.  Glad you can make it, I'll have a cold frosty waitin for ya.  :beerchug:

Ahhh all you ole geezers will be asleep by time we roll in, but if you're still up, make it a pepsi and we got a deal :rotflmao:

So is the address:
87 E College Ave.
Stanton KY 40380

You threw me off when you said lil abner, theirs 2 abner motels.  The lil' and the big un.

Eddie_Bohanan_TN said:
Ahhh all you ole geezers will be asleep by time we roll in, but if you're still up, make it a pepsi and we got a deal :rotflmao:

So is the address:
87 E College Ave.
Stanton KY 40380

You threw me off when you said lil abner, theirs 2 abner motels.  The lil' and the big un.

You haven't even made it to the ride and you already seek my elderly wisdom.  ;D ;D  Have a safe trip and don't wake me up when you get in. 

Well, I hope the turnout is good for this one!  I have a big day planned and will see you guys tomorrow evening!  It looks like we should have a great weekend!  :)

I don't think even a 10 hour ride would be too far for this ride. There is a rumor floating aroud about some guys coming up from Key West. What you can count on is ....Great weather in the mid 80's, great roads, good food and conversation. Don't be one of the few who will end up saying " wish I had made that one".

Good ride and I hope everyone made it home safe and sound!  I enjoyed meeting the new guys and catching up with the regulars!  I'll post the link to the few pictures I took before too long...  I was too busy riding, totaled 1428 for me and in 2 days 550 (roughly) were some damn crooked roads!!  I went through the Gap to get there, but made it as straight as possible to get home today.  Now getting ready for the SE Rally!

Brian and everyone else that went.  Dad and I had a hell of a good time.  All the pictures I took I'll try to upload tomorrow and post a link for them.  Dad also says thank you for helping him fix his bike troubles.  The fork brace was the culprit.  Anyone wanna buy a KB fork brace?!?!  :)  I think we totaled about 700 miles.  Hope to see you all in 2 weeks!

Thanks Larry for putting this ride togeather again this year . Even though I only did the Saturday Morning ride it was awesome ! I especially liked the one lane tunnel ! Brian kept a great pace and  I was able to keep  the front bunch of bikes in sight most of the time  this year. These rides really do make you a better rider .
    Lucas , it was nice meeting you and your Dad . Hope you come back next year .
Gary, thanks for the hat . It fits great . Hope your tail bone is feeling better now .
                  The Wife didn't complain at all about being in the saddle for 4 hours today . Partly because she found out
she could read her book while riding .
          Anyway , hope to see everyone next year . There's a very good chance I'll be at the nationals in Arkansas next year .

Ride safe everybody ,
Paul

Alright guys, heres a link to some photos I took.  For the people I tried to "killboy" sorry the pics didnt turn out awesome.  We'll get it right next year:) 

http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg61/Bosgarage57/COG%202011%20KY%20Meet/

Thanks to Larry for organizing this ride, and Brian for a fine job of leading the pack at a fun and safe pace. And thanks to everyone else for being there and making for a fine group to hang out with. I found a couple of good roads to the north as I went home. 1693 was one of them, we might have been on it the first year.

Good pics Lucas

David

Big Thanks to everyone who came and made it a good ride.  You all are a great bunch of guys to hang out with.  Thanks Lucas for providing the action shots, it's nice to have a computer background.  Now it's time to clean off the bugs.  Ride safe

The more I read about your weekend, the more I'm kicking myself for not being able to make it this year.  But, a wedding, work, and lack of cash got in the way.  I am jonesing so much for a MC trip this year, but it's just not gonna happen.  I'm glad you guys had a great weekend.

David, we rode 1693 the first year and I remember it being pretty good.  Scott and I went to ride it last year, but it was closed due to them blasting a mountain away.  It sounds like that didn't take away from its fun factor.