• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2011 Northwest Regional Rally

Being an R&D machinist has taught me how to handle last-minute stuff with a stress-free outlook.  If worst comes to worst, I will have the roster, waivers and wrist bands at the Applewood Grill Saturday night.  Just in case someone needs to get a hold of me before then and I'm not at the Super 8, my pocket phone number is 253-951-8752.

My wife and I are packing, getting up early to catch the first Government yacht off of this dismal North Pacific Island to find the sunshine in Apple Country! ;)

Hope to arrive at the Super 8 around 6pm, depending on which route we take. I'm leaning toward #20, longer, but fun to ride! See you over the weekend! 8)

I'm coming over after work Friday. Saturday a good route is Loop- Loop to Curlew,Republic, Coulee and back to dinner. I am going back over North Cascades on sunday. Forecast is for great weather both sides all weekend, at least what they say today.

Be aware that there is some resurfacing going on North Cascades.  Heard that it is all the way from Washington overlook to Early Winter camp ground.  Going over in the cage tomorrow AM on my way to Spokane.  Will post from my Droid X on how it is when I get to Winthrop or in cell range.

Been here doing this.  :steeringwheel:
Rode the KLR thru wind and rain. Riding in to Wenatchee a day early was rewarded with natures blast all the way. At least the drizzle stopped on the east side of White Pass.

Early bird got the worm or other way around?  ;)  Beautiful morning here in Portland. Leaving this AM to meet Colin in Oly and on to Wynoochee Dam before heading back to his place for "football" (I'm just watching) and then a small group ride up over 2, tomorrow morning.
WOO HOO!!!! :)

See you tomorrow at the dinner, at least.

DamDan

Anybody heading over hwy 2 on Saturday morning???  I would like to meet up.
I am leaving Coupeville in the AM and taking the ferry over and going through Everett then pick up hwy 2..

RK

Home Safe and Sound!

Great meet, nice to meet old friends and new!
Great Job Charlie, sorry it was a short trip for me, but with the boys 2 days was as much as we could do!  ;)

I really enjoyed meeting everyone at my first rally.  It was gratifying to realize I wasn't weird, just had been riding with the wrong people previously.  Can't wait till the next group ride!

Anybody on an '08 head back over Chinook Pass yesterday evening?  There was one with 2-up that passed an orange V-strom, with a rider in a yellow Roadcrafter, having a nice conversation with the driver of a car with cool flashing lights, just past Whistlin' Jack heading west.    :-[ 

Just got a friendly warning though, turns out he rides a 'strom too!  :motonoises:

Hope you all had a good time, sorry to have missed it.  Had to lend a hand to my Mom in Yakima for the weekend.

Charlie, we made it back to Alberta this afternoon late. All went well until this morning when my electrical gremlin decided to show up again. Drove through it and never had another problem the rest of the day. My brother in law and I both had a great time, saw some new country, rode many fantastic roads, made new and renewed past acquaintances. Good hotel and a great restaurant.
Super job of organizing and a big thank you for the effort.

Bill Warren and Ken Booker

Thanks for the loan of your service manual

Long Biker said:
Charlie, we made it back to Alberta this afternoon late. All went well until this morning when my electrical gremlin decided to show up again. Drove through it and never had another problem the rest of the day. My brother in law and I both had a great time, saw some new country, rode many fantastic roads, made new and renewed past acquaintances. Good hotel and a great restaurant.
Super job of organizing and a big thank you for the effort.

Bill Warren and Ken Booker

Thanks for the loan of your service manual

Thanks Bill,
  I'm glad you guys were able to come out and play with us. :)  I had a good time as well.  I knew that someday it pay off to have that book with me.

Colin said:
Home Safe and Sound!

Great meet, nice to meet old friends and new!
Great Job Charlie, sorry it was a short trip for me, but with the boys 2 days was as much as we could do!  ;)

Thanks, Colin.
  I was curious how things would turn out, and I must admit I was pleasantly surprised.  I'm glad your family was able to make it.  I noticed your son looking at my tally stickers.  You can let him know I really did bag a Sportster. :hitit:

Uglydog56 said:
I really enjoyed meeting everyone at my first rally.  It was gratifying to realize I wasn't weird, just had been riding with the wrong people previously.  Can't wait till the next group ride!

Are you saying you fit right in with the mis-fits? ;)
  It was fun riding with everybody.  Are you coming out for the Volcano Run?  http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=134848&mo=8&tDate={d%20%272011-08-25%27}

That's one!  Thanks to everybody who came out to Wenatchee and helped me through my first bash.  Tim Rieb helped coordinate the information packages, Roland Vetter scouted out the restaurant and routes, Bob Rainey was indispensable with help in too many ways to list, and everyone in general was very kind to the noob (me).  Next time I'll make arrangements to have someone around to sign folks in during the days of the event.
  here's a link to the Photobucket album, with one teaser. :D
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/charliegaryrules/COG%202011%20NW%20Regional%20Rally/

Thanks to Charlie and all who helped make the regional happen this year. Had great wx at the rally.
Great riding (wet to and from the rally, unusually ill prepared! :017:)
Good seeing old and meeting new riders.
Charley had the easiest flat event ever! On the cargo trailer. Return trip home. 1 block from Les Schwab in Ellensburg. They fixed it free  :Woot_Emoticon:

Thanks for organizing a great rally Charlie.  Although I rode back half the way in the rain it's always great to be riding.

Doug_Smith_BC said:
Thanks for organizing a great rally Charlie.  Although I rode back half the way in the rain it's always great to be riding.

Thanks for coming, Doug.  I'm glad you had a good time.  As for riding in the rain, I always take into account the reduction in tire wear and then it doesn't seem so bad. :)

Charlie, you put on a great event and thanks to everyone else involved. We had a great time and a great ride up and back. Got a little wet heading out of Wenatchee though. We are now in Portland and plan to head for home on Friday. It was great to meet everyone!

+1, Thanks for putting it all together.  I was hoping to see more C14's there, but still nice to see as many as I did (including yours Brent).

MrPepsi said:
Charlie, you put on a great event and thanks to everyone else involved. We had a great time and a great ride up and back. Got a little wet heading out of Wenatchee though. We are now in Portland and plan to head for home on Friday. It was great to meet everyone!

Glad you could make it this far.  Which way south did you guys go?  Dan Paulsen and I went east first and then south, and we stayed dry until we crossed the Columbia at Vantage.  How was Leavenworth?

C1xRider said:
+1, Thanks for putting it all together.  I was hoping to see more C14's there, but still nice to see as many as I did (including yours Brent).

Rob, sorry I didn't have some kind of volunteer system set up to always have someone on hand, or some kind of notice set out letting folks know where and when the dinner was taking place.  Keep showing up and showing off your new ride, and after a while more of the old-school types will want one, too. ;D

Leavenworth was pretty neat, but busy and hot.
After we left Wenatchee we headed to Yakima via Canyon road. Then West on 12 and decided against swinging by Mt St Helens since we were wet and cold after the downpour we had to go through between Wenatchee and Ellensburg. After 12 we headed south on crappy ol' I-5 to 205 to my sister's house where we still are. We'll be here until Friday morning when we will head south through Estacada, Molalla, Silverton, Stayton, etc to Albany and Corvallis then west on 34 to the coast. We have reservations in one of our favorite coffee spots in Florence. Then south on 101 home with one more night in Arcata.

The dinner.
A very good selection (Applewood Grill)  as the positive comments on the food quality, and service were many.  :))

I missed most of the rain.  I headed southeast on 28, then just kept heading south on 2 lane roads skirting the storms to the west.  I never touched a controlled access road the entire way back.  Came around the south side of Mt. Hood, and had sunshine and dry roads most of the way.  The only serious downpour I encountered was on highway 14.  I watched a Amtrak train about a mile ahead of me disappear into a wall of what looked like spray, only to find out it was a cloudburst about a 1/2 mile wide.  All in all, a good 980 mile weekend.  ;D

Brent, if you get bored hanging out it in PDX, the Hysterical Highway is always a good day run.  There was a parade of 30+ 1900's vintage cars (don't know what any of them were, but all had big wooden spoke wheels) heading east this morning.  All the people were dressed to match the era of the cars too.  Looked pretty neat.  I almost turned left instead of right out of my driveway to follow them, but decided I really should go to work.  They must be on a long tour (old HWY 30 maybe), as there was one on Marine Drive at 110th with a blown RF tire (completely off the rim).  He had a support rig with a trailer there helping him.

Good job on the rally Charlie, glad to see everything came together. I had a dry rally myself, but was surprised to be woken by rain on the roof on sunday night. Many unridden roads in NE part of the state for another time.

Thank you, Roland, for scouting things out like you did.  You did a lot to help me get things situated.  Now let's see if I can make fewer mistakes next year. ::)

Nobody got hurt, nobody quit COG, everybody got fed, and everybody got a door prize (even if it was a cruiser leather vest).  Where were the mistakes?

Uglydog56 said:
Nobody got hurt, nobody quit COG, everybody got fed, and everybody got a door prize (even if it was a cruiser leather vest).  Where were the mistakes?

Here's my opportunity to get in touch with my feminine side and say, "If you don't know, I'm not going to tell you."  :))

I should have made arrangements for someone to be around to check people in on Saturday.  At least one person showed up and didn't have a clue what was going on because no one was around to help him.  Luckily he's pretty laid back and understanding.

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
Here's my opportunity to get in touch with my feminine side and say, "If you don't know, I'm not going to tell you."  :))

I should have made arrangements for someone to be around to check people in on Saturday.  At least one person showed up and didn't have a clue what was going on because no one was around to help him.  Luckily he's pretty laid back and understanding.

Certainly you should not beat yourself up about anything.  The information on dinner was listed on the website, and with a little effort, it could have been found.

Myself, I need to lower my attendance expectations for a COG rally.  I've only been to 2 motorcycle rallies - ever.  The first was the BMW St. Josephs rally a few years ago, where over 1000 showed up.  The second was Sturgis, last year, which they estimated was around 750,000.

When I saw only a dozen Concours bikes in the motel parking lot including my own, and 17 of all other brands, I thought, "Hmm, guess nobody's coming".  :eek:

motovetro said:
You did make 1 mistake, you should have taken the vests to Winthrop!

You got that right!  I could have sold them and given the earnings as door prizes, instead. :-[

Yes for a one model MC meet 750,00 would be a high expectation... :rotflmao:
Seems like the 29 at dinner may be about right for the regional. that is 30-60 is usually the number.

[/quote]
Myself, I need to lower my attendance expectations for a COG rally.  I've only been to 2 motorcycle rallies - ever.  The first was the BMW St. Josephs rally a few years ago, where over 1000 showed up.  The second was Sturgis, last year, which they estimated was around 750,000.

When I saw only a dozen Concours bikes in the motel parking lot including my own, and 17 of all other brands, I thought, "Hmm, guess nobody's coming".  :eek:
[/quote]

danodemotoman said:
Yes for a one model MC meet 750,00 would be a high expectation... :rotflmao:
Seems like the 29 at dinner may be about right for the regional. that is 30-60 is usually the number.

I don't think they even made 750,000 Concours's, so I never had that kind of expectation.  However, the WA state BMW rally was going on somewhere east of Wenachee the same weekend, and they had 250 show up.  I guess I was expecting more like 50 bikes, maybe 100 people or so to a COG Regional.  No matter, I don't like riding in groups anyway, so it was really a great weekend!

Rob, sorry I didn't have some kind of volunteer system set up to always have someone on hand, or some kind of notice set out letting folks know where and when the dinner was taking place.  Keep showing up and showing off your new ride, and after a while more of the old-school types will want one, too.

This was more my fault as I planned to be back in the area on Sat. while Charley was out enjoying the country side. Right now the Doc says I can't drive and have to depend on others to drive me around. I live 1 hr away and I thought I would have no trouble getting back to Wenatchee. But this was not the case. I have always in the past done what I've said I would do but I'm in trying times. The wife is about to kill me as I'm not a very good back seat driver. The one thing I think is hurting the most is I have not been able to ride my c-14 or the Z-1B or the last 3 months.  It will be a happy day when the Doc releases me to go back to work and drive. Tim from PNW.

No worries guys!  I had lots of fun, put 980 miles on the bike - most on roads I've never been on before, met a few new people, saw some things that were on my bucket list, saw lots of wildlife (including a badger, a mountain lion, and at least 8 deer - 2 of which tested my brakes for me), enjoyed some genuine SUNSHINE!  What more could anyone ask for? ;)  Oh yea, wild, good looking, scantly clad women would have made it better.  Something for y'all to work on for next time.  ;D

C1xRider said:
No worries guys!  I had lots of fun, put 980 miles on the bike - most on roads I've never been on before, met a few new people, saw some things that were on my bucket list, saw lots of wildlife (including a badger, a mountain lion, and at least 8 deer - 2 of which tested my brakes for me), enjoyed some genuine SUNSHINE!  What more could anyone ask for? ;)  Oh yea, wild, good looking, scantly clad women would have made it better.  Something for y'all to work on for next time.  ;D

Rob, you may not like what the COG budget can handle. :-\

Charlie, does this mean the budget can't afford dancing girls with teeth? Or just yhose with a tooth?              :p    Tim from PNW.

If we did it on a COG budget, I think the caliber of dancers we could afford would inspire everyone to yell "PUT IT ON!  PUT IT ON!!"  :D

I think that 300 would be a high number for the COG Nat'l.
I agree that riding in a large group is not my option.

[/quote]

I don't think they even made 750,000 Concours's, so I never had that kind of expectation.  However, the WA state BMW rally was going on somewhere east of Wenachee the same weekend, and they had 250 show up.  I guess I was expecting more like 50 bikes, maybe 100 people or so to a COG Regional.  No matter, I don't like riding in groups anyway, so it was really a great weekend!
[/quote]

The 'spirited' group ride Sat was led by Roland.  Mtn passes, Grand Coulee area. The dam was 'over topping I was informed. Due to the continued snowmelt and wet spring early summer. All the spillways were flowing!
I had to push the K 6.5 pretty hard to keep up.    :motonoises:  My GPS had me up to 95 on a uphill grade. Musta had a tailwind  :rotflmao:
No performance awards that I heard of.  :))

danodemotoman said:
The 'spirited' group ride Sat was led by Roland.  Mtn passes, Grand Coulee area. The dam was 'over topping I was informed. Due to the continued snowmelt and wet spring early summer. All the spillways were flowing!
I had to push the K 6.5 pretty hard to keep up.    :motonoises:  My GPS had me up to 95 on a uphill grade. Musta had a tailwind  :rotflmao:

Lucky....Even us east side people slow down in Lincoln County. But 95 is just letting a 14 get started.    ;)  Tim from PNW.

Tim said:
danodemotoman said:

Lucky....Even us east side people slow down in Lincoln County. But 95 is just letting a 14 get started.    ;)  Tim from PNW.

I think the cops knew we had a very important dinner date, so they all went on break. ;D

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
  I think the cops knew we had a very important dinner date, so they all went on break. ;D

So what was the deal with all the reader board signs saying "Enhanced Patrols Going On Now"?  I never saw a cop after passing one of those signs.  Are they just trying to psych people out? 

C1xRider said:
Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:

So what was the deal with all the reader board signs saying "Enhanced Patrols Going On Now"?  I never saw a cop after passing one of those signs.  Are they just trying to psych people out?

Perhaps the "Enhancement" was a new style of cloaking device? :s_laugh: