• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2011 SCCA "Chasing the Dragon" hillclimb event held in Robbinsville, NC.

People do all sorts of crazed stuff on The Dragon, don't they?  Looks as if they're running it from Chilhowee Lake up to the Calderwood Dam overlook.  To go from the Crossroads Of Time to that overlook is a massively technical thing which they wouldn't be taking at that speed, though perhaps I'm speaking from my own lack of familiarity with extreme twisties.

I've seen folks riding through that thing laid over so far their knees are scraping and flipping back and forth several times in the twinkling of an eye.  It's scary, but an exciting kind of scary.  If you ever get up there, be sure to also ride Rt 143 - the Cherohala Skyway.  It's much more beautiful and less technically demanding so you're less likely to wind up with something to hang on the Tree Of Shame.

It's also a good place to follow the maxim, "See gas?  Buy gas!"

Nice video, Cap'n!

That's pretty cool.  I think the SCCA guys do quite a number of sanctioned events in that area, don't they?  Probably aren't cheap to organize, what with needing to have EMT's and extraction equipment on-hand or available in the event of an unexpected off-road adventure... entry fees would have to be pretty steep I'd think.