• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2011-up main harness question

Bagger John

For those who have torn their bikes down really far...how is the under-seat portion of the main harness fed through? Under the tank, through a hole in the frame, ?

(I'm going to build an auxiliary or install the C14P Accessory harness and I'd like to get an idea of correct, pinch/heat-free routing.)

It's been quite awhile since I did mine, but I'm going to say that there is a hole in the frame at the rear of the battery compartment. I ran a power wire through there back to a Fuzeblock under the seat and then ran power wires in protectors back through the battery box up to the front of the bike. I'm not saying that is the best wire routing, just that it has worked for me for several years. I also did run a flat power cable from the rear under the upper part of the fuel tank to go to the powered tank bag ring on top of the tank.

Drawing below is from the 2011 service manual. It is in the same location as in my photo above. Item # 1 is main harness, on left side under tank.

Attachments

• MainHarnessLocation.JPG
    MainHarnessLocation.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 91
Marty, Fred,

This helps.

What I'm up to here is to install a couple of ham radio chassis and the main unit of a Motochello MC-200 in a re-purposed police top box, with the control heads for all on the sides of or center of the bars. Gem Police Sales has been a HUGE help sourcing parts, but no one - them included - wants to talk about the OEM Kawi Auxiliary Harness and battery isolator setup. Thus, I have to reverse-engineer the entire setup and attempt to correct the design or implementation flaws.

I have the harness itself, but it seems to be a bit of overkill with regards to things like lighting functions. I don't need to turn off the bike's head or taillights; the switch box which originally controlled those functions is going to be used to activate my Clearwaters up front, or the Whelen LIN3/0S markers that are going on the radio box. (Took me a while to figure out what it was drilled for and to find the right lights.)

So...thoughts are to design my own. There's already a Fuze Block for accessory power (mounted on a repurposed evap cannister bracket under the right top fairing panel) and I just need to get the wires to their required spots.

For control purposes, there are three for the radio heads and one for the MC-200 Display. A Front Headset cable (accessible from the bar area) rounds out the signal wiring. Power...separate wires for seat heater, Powerlet "constant on" (will be set up at the rear of the bike), Aux Battery charging (through a smart relay) and Marker Light voltage. The radios and MC-200 will be set up to run off the auxiliary battery and can be isolated from everything if need be.

So...routing. I'll build a shielded 4-trunk accessory harness with 3 12Ga and 1 14-16Ga pairs; evidently this will be run as Marty did. The control stuff can go under the tank as it's CAT8 or smaller and needs to exit at a common point up front.

I topped the tank up before beginning the tear-down/valve adjustment and the bike still has a full (w/ stabilizer added) tank. Looking at the pics, it's obvious that the tank has to come off if the job is to be done properly. How much of a PITA with a full fuel load?

The Police-specific wiring harness I mentioned is Kawi P/N P26030-001. If anyone has ANY info about how to route and connect this thing (including factory communications and safety advisories)...I'll gladly sign an NDA. I know all the bodywork has to come off; mine's about that far down to begin with. Except for the tank.