• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2012 Big Bend - Davis Mountains - Ride the Twisties March 23rd through 25th

kv5e

South Central Area Director - COG 5063
Staff member
SC Area is pleased to announce the  Big Bend - Davis Mountains Ride the Twisties for 2012 on the 23rd through the 25th of March. We'll be leveraging a different HQ motel this year:

The Maverick Inn
http://themaverickinn.com/
1200 E. Holland Avenue
Alpine, TX 79830

Generous discounts for COG members are arranged so please book early as the rooms not reserved will be released on the 5th of March so please book early and register on the SC COG Calendar.

Texas' premiere roads in the Davis Mountains and BBNP and BBSP await the riders who want to scrub rubber off the sides of their tyres!

COG Dinner will be Saturday night the 24th 7PM at the Bread and Breakfast Cafe, 113 W. Holland in downtown Alpine. This is the place where some of us have breakfast and they are opening up for a catered dinner of BBQ beef, chicken, salad, bread pudding, and iced tea/coffee included for $13.95.

We will have the entire cafe to ourselves for this dinner.

Please feel free to PM or call me at 214.542.7207 if you need additional details.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zg1400/sets/72157623767343090/show/

Ride from 2010 above.............two wheel bliss

Craig

Craig, I somehow missed where you put the dates.  Please point them out to this blind hog.  ::)

Rev Ryder said:
Craig, I somehow missed where you put the dates.  Please point them out to this blind hog.  ::)

I was at work and left out that detail...23rd through the 25th of March.

Not even Palm Sunday!

Craig

kv5e said:
Rev Ryder said:

I was at work at left out that detail...23rd through the 25th of March.

Not even Palm Sunday!

Craig
Bless you my child!

Now I just have to try and figure out what combination of rides I can get away with.  Sure would like to do them all, but I don;t think I have the support at work for that.  Only other rider in my church is NEVER at church. LOL  THat doesn't help me much.

Now I just have to try and figure out what combination of rides I can get away with.  Sure would like to do them all, but I don;t think I have the support at work for that.  Only other rider in my church is NEVER at church. LOL  THat doesn't help me much.
[/quote]

I'm in the same boat as you Rev, trying to decide which ones I can pull off. Have to do the National in June
but would like to atleast do one of the two others (big bend or wildflower).

Jim Snyder said:
I'm in the same boat as you Rev, trying to decide which ones I can pull off. Have to do the National in June
but would like to atleast do one of the two others (big bend or wildflower).
I think I can pull off the WIldflower but I sure hate to miss the Big Bend snowmobile run.  :D

Awwww, now just suck it up Dave, blow off the rodeo and ride.  :nananana:

Really, it can be pretty hard to try and make rides due to conflicts in scheduling.  Rides have fallen on Palm SUnday and such and made it impossible for me to attend.  I full well understand conflicts in scheduling and so do the guys who are hosting them.  They really want to please everyone, but you know how that goes.  Since Sunday is my biggest workday of the week (or at least the one when the week's work is seen) almost EVERY ride is a challenge for me to make.  But while we all have to pick and choose, some choices really don't even stand a chance.  I feel your pain and hope you can make the Widlflower RIde in Hunt the following month.

I have a question here.  What is the norm, does everyone arrive on Friday and leave on Sunday, or arrive on Thursday night and leave on Monday? 

Sort of the same question for the Wildflower ride, do most arrive on Friday night and leave or Sunday?

Fred

Fred said:
I have a question here.  What is the norm, does everyone arrive on Friday and leave on Sunday, or arrive on Thursday night and leave on Monday? 

Sort of the same question for the Wildflower ride, do most arrive on Friday night and leave or Sunday?

Fred

Fred,

I arrive on Thursday and leave Sunday on Big Bend.

On the Wildflower I arrive Friday and leave Sunday.

Craig

I am planning to stretch this one to a few days, wish I had done it last year...

I will, of course, bring the never-been-worn cold weather gear...still brand new in the closet...LOL!

BigJoeVA68 said:
I am planning to stretch this one to a few days, wish I had done it last year...

I will, of course, bring the never-been-worn cold weather gear...still brand new in the closet...LOL!

Great choice on the extra day....Pamela and I are coming in on Thursday...I'm surprised  you don't want to visit Ted at his Del Rio Resort Ranch! :D

greenman

kv5e said:
Great choice on the extra day....Pamela and I are coming in on Thursday...I'm surprised  you don't want to visit Ted at his Del Rio Resort Ranch! :D

Halfcow? Everyone needs to go to Halfcow. It is like COG SC Mecca. ;D

I just got back from a 4 day trip down to Big Bend and davis mountains (a bit cold some days, fine weather on others).  For anyone who has not been there before, highly recommended.  Great roads, beautiful country.

Booked my rooms for the 23rd and 24th.  Motel is a bit to pricy to stay on Thursday night, so I think I am going to spend the night in Sanderson instead.  I have a couple of non COG member buddies of mine coming along.  Hope that won't be an issue.

Fred said:
Booked my rooms for the 23rd and 24th.  Motel is a bit to pricy to stay on Thursday night, so I think I am going to spend the night in Sanderson instead.  I have a couple of non COG member buddies of mine coming along.  Hope that won't be an issue.
An issue?  It's not even a consideration.  They are most welcome always.

Fred said:

The more the merrier!!!!! Unfortunately the slightly cheaper Antelope Lodge had descended into less than exemplary accomodations and price/performance ratio the Maverick Inn was the best compromise.

This event started spring of 2002 (ask Ted how cold it was?) so this will be the 10th anniversary. Alpine is still the best place to HQ the ride as the road options are better from that location.

I started attending in 2003 and have not missed one since.

Craig

Got ya beat.  :)

A group of us have been going out to Big Bend the last weekend of January for the last 25 years.  I am the only one that has not missed a year.  You think it is cold in March, try January.  The trip is on for this January if anyone is brave enough to tackle the cold then come along.  We quit staying in the same motel some years back, we move around from night to night. 

One place you might consider in the future is the Fort Davis Motor Lodge in Fort Davis.  It is 24 miles further out, but is a nice place for the bucks.  Fort Davis doesn't have all the amenities as Alpine, but as you know there is a gain and loss where ever you stay out there.

See ya in March.

Fred

Fred said:
One place you might consider in the future is the Fort Davis Motor Lodge in Fort Davis.  It is 24 miles further out, but is a nice place for the bucks.  Fort Davis doesn't have all the amenities as Alpine, but as you know there is a gain and loss where ever you stay out there.

See ya in March.

Fred

Alpine still presents the best road options for a ride so it is likely to be the best option going forward for this ride.

We stayed at the Longhorn Ranch Motel 15 miles north of Study Butte one year and it was cheap but too far south of the Davis Mountains and when leaving to go home presented an additional 80 miles of riding.

I would stay there if I drove down with my telescopes as it is very dark and great sky viewing.

We should stay at Stillwell Store one time and then everyone would think Alpine or Fort Davis was a metropolis!!!!

Stillwell Store is the place to stay if you are on the lam and don't want to be found.......just don't use the WiFi.

Craig

Fred, you asked about arriving on Thursday.

Gives me the perfect opportunity to advertise the economy plans.  ;)

On Thursday several of us like to gather in Del Rio at Halfcow Ranch. Rates are really cheap, as in FREE.
You and yer buddies are welcome to join in, if your not too particular about the sleepin' accomodations.  :p
Halfcow is (err) a tiny bit primitive.  :sign0103:
  (Joe, please post a picture of Halfcow)

But it does have all the things that a fine Hotel offers.
Beds (cots)
Swimmin' Pool. (Cattle trough/or stock tank)
Heat (wood stove)
Airconditionin' (open windows)
Cookin' equipment. (BBQ Pit with 3 good legs)
Bathroom and shower (gotta whistle while ya work as there ain't no door)
Lights (work most sum of the time)
Parking lot (1000 acres of rocks and cactus)
Plus we have our own shootin' range and observatory. (More cactus and Rocks,, and an old pair of binoculars)

I'll be bringing Deer Chili and Jalopenia Poppers to keep the skeeters away.

Ride safe, Ted

As everyone should know by now, HalfCow is like the COG Big Bend Mecca...you have to see it for yourself to truly appreciate the fine accommodations. Mysterious forces prevent actual pictures from coming out, but I did manage to sneak a picture from outside of the exclusion zone of the gate to prove I made the journey. I also managed to get a picture of the ranch house using a very long lens.

I hope to join those who brave the mysterious forces (and the stench of ceegars) at HalfCow if it is available. I hope to reserve a space in the "tall" side of the house...

Attachments

• HalfCowGateLowRes.jpg
    HalfCowGateLowRes.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 94
  • HalfCowHouseLowRes.jpg
    HalfCowHouseLowRes.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 104
I don't think even bed bugs would stay at the Half Cow so you all are probably safe from that threat! :D

Pamela and I are arriving in Alpine on Thursday so you all have fun.

Last year on Friday we had a 550+ mile day doing all of the Northen Davis Mt roads (118, 17,166, etc.) and then after lunch blasted down through the southern loop (118, River Road, and US 67 back to Marfa then US 90 to Alpine. Weather was superb for the ride.

Ride in from the Half Cow is pretty neat so if you have not done that please consider it.

Craig

kv5e said:
Fred said:

See ya in March.

Fred

Alpine still presents the best road options for a ride so it is likely to be the best option going forward for this ride.

We stayed at the Longhorn Ranch Motel 15 miles north of Study Butte one year and it was cheap but too far south of the Davis Mountains and when leaving to go home presented an additional 80 miles of riding.

I would stay there if I drove down with my telescopes as it is very dark and great sky viewing.

We should stay at Stillwell Store one time and then everyone would think Alpine or Fort Davis was a metropolis!!!!

Stillwell Store is the place to stay if you are on the lam and don't want to be found.......just don't use the WiFi.

Craig

I have stayed at Stillwell's once about 20 years ago.  Wasn't all that bad, of course we were camping.  The only advise I would offer is don't eat their burrito.  Don't ask me how I know this.  :)

I have also stayed at the Longhorn Ranch just a couple of years ago.  I agree not a bad place, but a little to far down.

connie_rider said:
Fred, you asked about arriving on Thursday.

Gives me the perfect opportunity to advertise the economy plans.  ;)

On Thursday several of us like to gather in Del Rio at Halfcow Ranch. Rates are really cheap, as in FREE.
You and yer buddies are welcome to join in, if your not too particular about the sleepin' accomodations.  :p
Halfcow is (err) a tiny bit primitive.  :sign0103:
  (Joe, please post a picture of Halfcow)

But it does have all the things that a fine Hotel offers.
Beds (cots)
Swimmin' Pool. (Cattle trough/or stock tank)
Heat (wood stove)
Airconditionin' (open windows)
Cookin' equipment. (BBQ Pit with 3 good legs)
Bathroom and shower (gotta whistle while ya work as there ain't no door)
Lights (work most sum of the time)
Parking lot (1000 acres of rocks and cactus)
Plus we have our own shootin' range and observatory. (More cactus and Rocks,, and an old pair of binoculars)

I'll be bringing Deer Chili and Jalopenia Poppers to keep the skeeters away.

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks for the offer, but I think I will pass on the nostalgia trip to the past.  I gave up camping, and semi camping a few years ago. 

How far out of Del Rio is this place?  We may change our plans and stay in Del Rio that night and meet up with y'all in the morning.

Halfcow is about 30 miles North of Del Rio at the Intersection of 277/377.
Nearest (err) town is Carta Valley.

If you stay in Del Rio, plan on coming out to Halfcow. Worth the trip.
Don't worry to much about the photo that Joe posted. We've improved the Ranch a bit since then. We painted it....  8)

Rev/Jim,,, ya'll clearly need a reason to be at the Alpine Ride so I'll help ya along.
I've decided that this year you both have to be there,,, because your in charge of Entertainment at Halfcow.  :p

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Rev/Jim,,, ya'll clearly need a reason to be at the Alpine Ride so I'll help ya along.
I've decided that this year you both have to be there,,, because your in charge of Entertainment at Halfcow.  :p

Ride safe, Ted

Well I am off that weekend, and would love to do a return engagement at the Half Cow. What do you have in mind
for the entertainment ?? I do some mean karaoke, plus a great standup comedy routine. Bottom line is I don't do
striptese , I do have standards.

Jim sed: Bottom line is I don't do striptese , I do have standards.

The rest of the COGdom sez...... Thank you Lord!!!!!!!  :nananana:

As far as the entertainment, the last time you wuz there, you arranged the "Mouse Racing Event".
The racing Wuz sorta boring, until the "winner" ran up yer pants leg.

NOW, that wuz funneeee!!!!!

Fred, I have not talked with the Motel about the discount we are supposed to receive. (I'll call them and see what they say).
So, the rate at which you were booked, should go down.

We've made the ride from Del Rio to Alpine quite a few times. Always stop at The River Crossing and  Judge Roy Beans place.
Does anyone know of anything else we might stop to see?

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

Rev Chuck trying to keep the turbo running?!!??!?!?!? :))

gr33nman

kv5e said:
connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

Rev Chuck trying to keep the turbo running?!!??!?!?!? :))

gr33nman

Now, that there is funeeeeeee too!
Gotta admit though, the Turbo always usually runs when he rides it.
So far, it has ALWAYS broke down when he offered me a chance to ride it. (I still think he has a remote kill switch)

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Fred, I have not talked with the Motel about the discount we are supposed to receive. (I'll call them and see what they say).
So, the rate at which you were booked, should go down.

We've made the ride from Del Rio to Alpine quite a few times. Always stop at The River Crossing and  Judge Roy Beans place.

Ride safe, Ted

I got the discount, I told them I was with the COG group and she knew exactly what I was talking about.

You about named it between Alpine and Del Rio.  There is that Eagle Claw thing just before Langtry, and there is a nice county park located about 7 miles south of Marathon.  The ride out there is scenic, and it is a nice place to take a break.  They even have flush toilets.    :wee_hee:

What time do y'all usually get to the ranch?  We may stay in Rock Spring and just meet y'all out at the ranch in the morning.

We generally get to the Ranch about 4:00 PM.

I've  heard about a Park (just prior to the Pecos). Supposedly you can go into the park and stop at the point that the Pecos runs into the Rio Grande.

NOTE: 
Last year my Bride made the trip for the first time, and we had no takers to stay at Halfcow, so (for some reason) she opted that we stay in Del Rio. So, this year, Depending on if she goes, and if we have a group staying at Halfcow, I'll arrange my sleeping accomodations later.

Regardless though, we will have a gathering there on Thursday Afternoon!

Halfcow is not as bad as some try to make it sound.  :sign0103:
It is a Deer Hunting Camp and we do have bunks for about 6-8 people. AND YES,,, we do have a flush toilet and a shower. (curtain, but No door)
As I've made the ride from Houston to Del Rio "lots" of times, I will trailer to Del Rio and leave my trailer at Halfcow. Anyone that wants to do the same is welcome as we have lots of parking available. (Yes, I know I'm a sinner)

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Craig sed; This event started spring of 2002 (ask Ted how cold it was?) so this will be the 10th anniversary. Alpine is still the best place to HQ the ride as the road options are better from that location.

He wuz wrong. Other COGgers put on the Big Bend Ride before 2002. They had to stop putting on the event and I started putting it on at about that time. Since then, Craig or I have made the arrangements every year. (By the way, it was 18* in Alpine in 2002)

Ted.....be nice if you expect a big OTP donation out of me!!!!! ;D

I joined COG in 2001 so I was unsure of previous history. Anyway we have kept it going since 2002 and I remember sending an email asking about riding down there which may have kick started it again. I was unable to go in 2002 due to work.

Craig

kv5e said:
Ted.....be nice if you expect a big OTP donation out of me!!!!! ;D

I joined COG in 2001 so I was unsure of previous history. Anyway we have kept it going since 2002 and I remember sending an email asking about riding down there which may have kick started it again. I was unable to go in 2002 due to work.

Craig

Now Craig,,, tell the truth..
Yer Luvly Bride suggested that "you" send the note!!!!
And yepp, it may have kick started it.
That (the note) and the fact that you prolly heard about the "Luxurious" accomodations at Halfcow Ranch and you wanted to see it!

(SLY GRIN,,,,,)  :))

Yes, I do always expect a BIG donation from you to help support "Over the Pond".
Is this gonna be the year?  :p

Speaking about OtP. Were already workin' on it.    http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6027.msg71493#msg71493
Hans (OtP Boss) told us Slave Laborers to quit goofing off and get to work! (He {the Boss} was leaving on vacation)

Ride safe, Ted

I received this note (Below) from the Maverick Inn.
There is a slight mistake as she did not mention that I reserved 15 Rooms. Her note only mentions 8.
If we get a good turnout, I can probably arrange 5 more rooms at the reduced rate.

At this time, I, Craig, and Fred have booked 4 rooms.
BOOK EARLY AS IT IS DIFFICULT TO GET ROOMS HELD, Due to Spring Break.

I know that the Room rates are up from theAntelope Lodge,,, but these rates are only about $20 a night above the Antelope and the Maverick is MUCH nicer.
(These are the discounted rates). Rates in a small tourist town (near Spring Break) like this are a bit pricy.
I'll check on the Antelope and see if they are still there. Last year I got the impression that they were going to close. If they are still open, I will check their rates.

More later, Ted

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Concours Motorcycle Group,

Thank you very much for staying with us here at The Maverick Inn.

We have set aside the following rooms for you with group rates.  The price shown below include tax.

#11-King and Queen bed----$271.20 for 2 nights

#12-Two Queen beds--------$237.20 for 2 nights

#22-King bed-------------------$201.14 for 2 nights

#23-King bed-------------------$201.14 for 2 nights

#25-Two Queen beds--------$237.20 for 2 nights

#33-King bed-------------------$201.14 for 2 nights

#41-King bed-------------------$201.14 for 2 nights

#55-Queen bed /w kitchen-$282.50 for 2 nights

The prices include tax. When calling to make a reservation just tell everyone to identify themselves as being with Concours Motorcycle Group (COG). We will hold the stated rooms until March 5.  Please let everyone know that parking will be available for bike trailers. We should be able to get 3 to 4 average size trailers on our property, and of course the bikes by themselves can be parked in front of the rooms.  We are looking forward to seeing you and all those bikes.

The Maverick Inn

Hey,  I got a room!  Looks like we may head out noon Thursday so see you later that night.

smithr-scad said:
Hey,  I got a room!  Looks like we may head out noon Thursday so see you later that night.

That's great Bob!!! We'll keep the light on for you! ;D

Craig

I haven't heard from many that plan to meet and leave from Del Rio.
So, I may meet you in Alpine on Thursday too......
(Yea, I know what yer thinkin',,, "There goes the neighborhood")....

Is anyone planning on meeting us in Del Rio on Thursday/Friday??

Ride safe, Ted

(PS: Is anyone planning on staying at Half Cow Ranch?)

My life at the moment is in a severe state of flux, so I am not even sure I will be in Texas after this month...If I am, I fully plan on having the "full" Big Bend experience, including Half Cow. ;D

I was thinking of giving Leslie the Half Cow experience but I really need to scoot all the way home Sunday and having to stop back at the cow to get the trailer just makes it too long of a day.  We could ride the entire time but she is not really use to those long days.  Also  I am not so sure Leslie wants the HC experience either.  I have to keep her from seeing what you guys say about it or it would be no way.

smithr-scad said:
I was thinking of giving Leslie the Half Cow experience but I really need to scoot all the way home Sunday and having to stop back at the cow to get the trailer just makes it too long of a day.  We could ride the entire time but she is not really use to those long days.  Also  I am not so sure Leslie wants the HC experience either.  I have to keep her from seeing what you guys say about it or it would be no way.
Bob, when my wife and I have made the BB Ride I have always ridden and she has always brought her car.  No way will she ride distance with me and the BB ride is always one with unpredictable weather so she's always got her auto "just in case."  It's how she rolls and it works for us.  SHe has partied at teh HC, but never stayed there... always in a Del Rio motel.  Always an option.

THen we always dead headed back from Alpine down I-10.

BigJoeVA68 said:
My life at the moment is in a severe state of flux, so I am not even sure I will be in Texas after this month...If I am, I fully plan on having the "full" Big Bend experience, including Half Cow. ;D

JOe,,, Sounds like a She-male is involved!!
I talked to the Owner of Halfcow last week. He sed he had fixed the Plumbing and watered the Plants.
But, he's been known to lie!
I'll mow the grass so ya won't get snakebit. No cain't do that. No grass at halfcow. Besides, Snakes might bite me!!!
Nah, they's die from the awful taste...

Bob, she'll love Halfcow.
We only tell tales about Halfcow to scare away the Tourists...
Did you tell her we have Mice racin' planned!!!

If ya'll wanna stay at Halfcow, I'll let you have the Master Bedroom.
Heck,,, I'll even put a rock under the short leg on the bed so it will kinda level!!!
What a deal!!!!!  :))

Ouuuuu, Ah just had a thought.
She could ride to Alpine with Rev's wife.
No, wait a minut....... that won't werk.... REV AIN'T Goin'!!!

Sissy!

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Ouuuuu, Ah just had a thought.
She could ride to Alpine with Rev's wife.
No, wait a minut....... that won't werk.... REV AIN'T Goin'!!!

Sissy!

Ride safe, Ted

Oh yeah?!?! 

connie_rider said:

Um...er...I saw (much to my shame) Hangover II...and I gotta say, NO WAY!  :-\

Fact is, I am pursuing other career opportunities closer to my family and my girl friend. My job here has finally crossed the line with my patience and I really need something new. The company in Georgia I applied with is flying me in for the final interview next week...

As much as I will miss my COG-SC family, it is time for me to go "home" even if a bit earlier than I expected. If this happens, I have no idea if I will be able to make the COG-SC trips or the National this year, which really is a big sacrifice for me because I really REALLY looked forward to them. It hurts my heart knowing I will miss you guys and gals, some of the finest folks I have ever had the pleasure and privilege to know, and some of the best times of my life.

I do look forward to meeting COG-SE folks, and being closer to civilization, I may finally get to upgrade to a C-14...so all is not bleak; but it really is a "mixed feelings" move.

I'm staying at the Maverick right now (visiting Big Bend area) and my only suggestion is bring your own shower head. The one in room 25 is what we used to call falling damp in England. :D Rain and snow on the way down from Las Cruces but nice tomorrow. Glad I brought the car.

Thank you TJ.
Overall, is the Maverick an improvement from past Motel we stayed at?

Rain? GREAT!! Mebbe we'll have desert flowers blooming this year.

Ride safe, Ted

BigJoeVA68 said:
connie_rider said:
Fact is, I am pursuing other career opportunities closer to my family and my girl friend.

As much as I will miss my COG-SC family, it is time for me to go "home" even if a bit earlier than I expected. If this happens, I have no idea if I will be able to make the COG-SC trips or the National this year, which really is a big sacrifice for me because I really REALLY looked forward to them. It hurts my heart knowing I will miss you guys and gals, some of the finest folks I have ever had the pleasure and privilege to know, and some of the best times of my life.

I do look forward to meeting COG-SE folks, and being closer to civilization, I may finally get to upgrade to a C-14...so all is not bleak; but it really is a "mixed feelings" move.

Fact is, I am pursuing other career opportunities closer to my family and my girl friend.

Yupp, She-male is involved!!!!

If this happens, I have no idea if I will be able to make the COG-SC trips or the National this year, which really is a big sacrifice for me because I really REALLY looked forward to them.

Georgia ain't that far away. Negotiate a vacation period with them while your interviewin'....  :beerchug:

It hurts my heart knowing I will miss you guys and gals, some of the finest folks I have ever had the pleasure and privilege to know, and some of the best times of my life.

We'll miss you too. Been fun riding with you. 
But, if ya gotta go. Do it! and Catch us on the road.
NOTE: With the new location, You will have more excuses to take a road trip!!! Gotta go see Halfcow!!  (and "the Sissy"/Rev)  :motonoises:

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Yupp, She-male is involved!!!!

I luv ya, Ted, but you really need to look up the modern urban dictionary definition of that term.  :eek: She is all woman, I assure you.  ;D And she is very excited that I will be so much closer, as am I. Travel time and expenses from here to Tampa are pretty steep, but from ATL is much better.

Georgia ain't that far away. Negotiate a vacation period with them while your interviewin'....  :beerchug:

The National could be a maybe, but the new job can be travel intensive, so I will have to play it by ear. I wonder if they have any sites in Arkansas...hmmm, need to check that...

We'll miss you too. Been fun riding with you. 
But, if ya gotta go. Do it! and Catch us on the road.
NOTE: With the new location, You will have more excuses to take a road trip!!! Gotta go see Halfcow!!  (and "the Sissy"/Rev)  :motonoises:

It has really been a highlight of my life finding COG and meeting the folks I have here in COG-SC. I really am looking forward to meeting the COG-SE folks, I am already crossing my fingers for one of the wrench sessions being set up in the spring. I still have a bunch of Murph's stuff to install...unless I do upgrade to the C-14 before then... :motonoises:

And I didn't mean to hijack the thread...

I am sorry I may not be able to bring the magic cold-weather gear of good fortune to ensure good weather for Big Bend...It is still brand new in the closet.  :-[

Joe, your absence will be keenly felt by all here in the SC, of that I am certain!

The best of luck and I would like to ask one favor......when you go to work at the new location the week of the 22nd through the 25th of March....
don't leave your cold weather jacket in the closet!!!!!!!  :))

Craig

kv5e said:
Joe, your absence will be keenly felt by all here in the SC, of that I am certain!

The best of luck and I would like to ask one favor......when you go to work at the new location the week of the 22nd through the 25th of March....
don't leave your cold weather jacket in the closet!!!!!!!  :))

Except for the first time, it has served us well ever since!  :beerchug:  :rotflmao:

What??????!!!!!!!

BIGJOE'S SKIPPIN' TOWN?

Joe, my big gun totin' friend... who's gonna keep me covered now?

Man, I hate to hear you're gonna leave Texas.  I know Freer ain't the place to spend a life, but... dude... we are sooooo going to miss you.  But I understand wanting to get closer to family and particularly your most significant other AND wanting to get into better job conditions in a happier locale.  For all of that and more I certainly wish you Godspeed and Happy Trails... but now I'm losing my protection against Ted's Evil Eye and that cannot be a good thing. 

Rev Ryder said:
What??????!!!!!!!

BIGJOE'S SKIPPIN' TOWN?

Joe, my big gun totin' friend... who's gonna keep me covered now?

Man, I hate to hear you're gonna leave Texas.  I know Freer ain't the place to spend a life, but... dude... we are sooooo going to miss you.  But I understand wanting to get closer to family and particularly your most significant other AND wanting to get into better job conditions in a happier locale.  For all of that and more I certainly wish you Godspeed and Happy Trails... but now I'm losing my protection against Ted's Evil Eye and that cannot be a good thing.

Yep...... :(  You will be missed by all Joe.........now the buzzards will have us in their reticule!

All the best and there's plenty of good riding where you're headed....when you pick up your C14 be sure to drop a line to the SC bunch.

Maybe we'll see you in WNC one of these days.

greenman

Yea, I guess "She-male" might be taken wrong, but ya got my point.
The need fer female companionship ruins the best of us!!  ;)
And,,,, yer considerin' leaving Freer Texas (Gods Country) and Movin' closer to yer Hunney...

Hmmmmm,,,,  a job with lots of Travel.
Ya will be collecting a lot of air miles I assume??
Bikes can be rented. or Someone (fer instance,,, Rev/me) might haul yer bike to Arkansas.
YA could store it at Rev's. He has plenty of room.
Hmmm, I think I'm startin' to see a solution....

If ya got the urge ta move to a C-14,,, whut about yer C-10?
Mebbe leave it in Texas and buy a C-14... (or give it ta me)    :))

Rev, if BIG Joe don't go to Halfcow,, ya gotta take his place!    :-\
We need someone to skeer the Zombies away!!!  :29:

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
YA could store it at Rev's. He has plenty of room.
:) :) :) :) :) 8) :) :) :) :) :)

Hmmm, I think I'm startin' to see a solution....

If ya got the urge ta move to a C-14,,, whut about yer C-10?
Mebbe leave it in Texas and buy a C-14... (or give it ta me)    :))

I forbid him to give his bike away... especially to you!  :p

Rev, if BIG Joe don't go to Halfcow,, ya gotta take his place!    :-\

Which half?  ;)

We need someone to skeer the Zombies away!!!  :29:

You can just give em that Evil Eye treatment thingy you do.  Mosquitos is a whole nother deal though.  :D

connie_rider said:
BigJoeVA68 said:
Is "discretion" in the official COG dictionary?  >:D

Yupp. and,,,,, Beside the definition of a person with discretion,,, is a picture of me!!

Ride safe, Ted
THAT picture is captioned "DISCRETION RECOMMENDED"... it's really a bit different thing Ted.  :rotflmao:

HEY!! Ya'll are gonna hurt my feelings (if ya keep working at it)...    :nananana:

It's a shame that neither of you will be in Alpine to defend yourselves.
Someone (that is there) "might" start rumors about you 2....    >:D

Ride safe, Ted  O:)

As I type this I am in Alpine.  Current temperature is 35 degrees.  Last two days have been sunny and clear.  Heading down to the River Road today.

Fred

connie_rider said:
HEY!! Ya'll are gonna hurt my feelings (if ya keep working at it)...    :nananana:

Like I've said before, that ain't no halo on yer haid.  That's a loose O-ring... all yer good done leaked out.  :D

connie_rider said:
Fred,,, How was your ride today??
(I'm ignoring Rev)....

Ride safe, Ted

The River Road was fantastic as usual. It was sunny and clear all day.  There was a bit of wind in the flats, but it wasn't to bad.  Didn't even see any deer, which is a surprise.

Today we are heading for the Hill Country.

Fred

That's the really fast part before you get to Lajitas that's just west of Terlingua. Ahhhhhh . . . . wishing for TX118, FM170 and the 120 mph sweepers on US 67 between Presidio and Shafter.........sure glad that pickup flashed his headlights to warn of the B&W that would have hauled me off to the county calaboose. ;D

Craig

Craig, that ain't the first time a headlight flash saved your butt out there....
I seem to recall a time when we were riding from Presidio to Marfa,,, etc, etc, etc,,,,,,,,,  ;)

Fred, ya done went and tortured me. I'm sufferin'...  :banghead:

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Craig, that ain't the first time a headlight flash saved your butt out there....
I seem to recall a time when we were riding from Presidio to Marfa,,, etc, etc, etc,,,,,,,,,  ;)

Fred, ya done went and tortured me. I'm sufferin'...  :banghead:

Ride safe, Ted

Yeah Fred!!!!!! Thanks for the taste and ride safe.

Got an email from Troy and he will be there for the ride.....less than two months now.

Twisties, poppers and Sailor Jerry just to start on the fun. :))

Wonder if anyone has pinged D0ugie on the fun?

greenman

Rev is in contact with Dougie (I think). He's supposed to ping  him about Wildflower. Mebbe he can talk him into Big Bend too.
Rev,,,,, do it!!!. Would be great to see Dougie again. Besides he's the best Popper Burner I know! :103:

OMG,,,,, You made me realize that I'm completely out of Sailor Jerry. I'd better stock up!  :72:

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:

Rats !! I wish I could come out and play that weekend. Ted, Don't talk about me until we get to Wildflower Ok?

Jim Snyder said:
connie_rider said:

Rats !! I wish I could come out and play that weekend. Ted, Don't talk about me until we get to Wildflower Ok?

You gotta be kidding!!!!!

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Jim Snyder said:
connie_rider said:

You gotta be kidding!!!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Nope not kidding, the wife is returning from Australia that weekend and if I'm not at the airport on time it could be bad.

No,,, didn't mean that.
I meant,, "You gotta be kidding" about Me not talking about you,,,, since you won't be there.  :p
I'm working on some good storeeeees now!!!

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
No,,, didn't mean that.
I meant,, "You gotta be kidding" about Me not talking about you,,,, since you won't be there.  :p

Ride safe, Ted

I'm sure they will all be good stories. Remember Ted I still have those pictures of you with those "dogs"
you picked up at that gas station. Don't make me drag them out.........again !!!

Ain't skeered.
Just remembered, That is the same Gas Station from which Rev Claims I hexed his Turbo...

Mebbe it was the Dogs that Hexed it?

Ride safe, Ted

Jim Snyder said:
connie_rider said:
No,,, didn't mean that.

Ride safe, Ted

I'm sure they will all be good stories. Remember Ted I still have those pictures of you with those "dogs"
you picked up at that gas station. Don't make me drag them out.........again !!!

Jim....this is interesting! Was one of the dawgs doing something with Ted's leg?!!!??!????  :eek:

Enquiring minds want to know!!!!!!!!

Craig

kv5e said:
Jim Snyder said:
connie_rider said:
No,,, didn't mean that.

Ride safe, Ted

Jim....this is interesting! Was one of the dawgs doing something with Ted's leg?!!!??!????  :eek:

Craig
Uh... er... well... oh my, this is awkward...

" Jim....this is interesting! Was one of the dawgs doing something with Ted's leg?!!!??!????  :eek:

Craig
[/quote]

No the females were just trying to kiss him on the face. I think one of them tried slipping him her phone #

Ok,, ok,,,,,, Oooootayyyyyyyy...
This group could take this story anywhere......

Post the REAL photo.
And, remember I also have copies.

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:

Post the REAL photo.

Ride safe, Ted

Ok then, here is the picture (viewer discretion is advised)

Attachments

• S5000491.JPG
    S5000491.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 120
Oh, you were referring to that photo.  (I thought you were referring to the other one)...  :s_good:
To clear things up for you members with "poor memory".
This photo wuz made at the Wildflower Ride, not Big Bend.
Your just jealous that I received a kiss from Jeraldine..  and big Leeroy growled (and hiked his leg) when you approached the truck...

Ride safe, Ted   

Just called the Maverick Inn.
They said we have 8 people signed up.
I woulda thought there would be more?
Gloom,,,,,,,,,,, :'(

C'mon Guys this is a great Place to ride. March 23-25
Make your reservations and come ride with us in the Big Bend Area!!!

Here is the Motel Info.

The Maverick Inn
http://themaverickinn.com/
1200 E. Holland Avenue
Alpine, TX 79830

Ride safe, Ted

I just called the Maverick Inn as well and checked on the local dining scene.

It looks like we can have an exclusive catered meal at Bread and Breakfast at 7PM on the 24th for the group.

The owner will open up and prepare a home cooked catered meal for us and we can have the place to ourselves.

The cost will be in the $12 to $15 range and this seems reasonable.

Our choices will range from Brisket with the trimmings, chicken, etc.

Texas Fusion and Longhorn Steakhouse are both having operational issues with staying open so this might be the best option.

What does everyone think?

Craig

Hey, Ted, you may want to leave the pork-chop scented aftershave those dogs liked so much at home this trip.  :eek:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/08/texas-boy-6-reportedly-snatched-by-mountain-lion-at-big-bend-national-park/

Texas boy, 6, attacked by mountain lion at Big Bend National Park
Published February 08, 2012
FoxNews.com
MyFoxAustin.com

Rivers Hobbs with his father, Jason Hobbs, who stabbed the mountain lion with a pocketknife, causing it to flee.

A 6-year-old Texas boy is recovering after being attacked by a mountain lion while walking with his family at Big Bend National Park.

Glad the dad had a knife. Holy cow.

smithr-scad said:
That sounds fine Craig,  Does at the BnB mean at the Maverick Inn?

Bread and Breakfast - that's the place we go to breakfast that serves the big cinnamon rolls downtown.

They also cater dinners for groups.

Jim Snyder said:
connie_rider said:

Post the REAL photo.

Ride safe, Ted

Ok then, here is the picture (viewer discretion is advised)

Shouldn't this caption have said:  "Ted (right) and dogs." ???

Hey,,,, ya'll go easy on TED.
Remember,, TED is going to be there....  Rev and Jim ain't goin'..
They DESERVE to be picked on.

The B&B is fine with me, but was sure looking forward to a Steak at the LOnghorn.

Ride safe, Ted

When I was just out there a couple of weeks ago the Longhorn was closed.  Don't have any details, but they were not serving steaks when we were there.

Fred

Fred said:
When I was just out there a couple of weeks ago the Longhorn was closed.  Don't have any details, but they were not serving steaks when we were there.

Fred

Thanks Fred! Both The Longhorn and Texas Fusion are having some challenges from what I was told from some locals I called.

I think we have a plan B and the mountain lions at the Basin are also having problems with dining from what I have been reading.

As soon as the COG dinner on Saturday night is confirmed with a solvent establishment , I shall report.

Craig

connie_rider said:
Hey,,,, ya'll go easy on TED.
Remember,, TED is going to be there....  Rev and Jim ain't goin'..
They DESERVE to be picked on.
Ride safe, Ted

Here now... hold on just a durn tootin' minute there pahdnuh.  Discretion being the better part of feeding mountain lions, Jim and I has elected to not add to their already endangered status woes by refraining from being bad lunches.  Besides, Rev has to stay home and work on his stable of Connies.  They have to be shielded against the Evil Eye before debuting at the Wildflower.

BREAKING NEWS

We have just obtained a picture of the real owner of the Half Cow Ranch:​

oldmen1.jpg

I guess this is one of the explanations for the troubles out there.......... :))​

What do you mean?  I have never heard a living person complain of troubles out there.  :nananana: