• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2012 Big Bend - Davis Mountains - Ride the Twisties March 23rd through 25th

Yeppers..... no LIVING person anyway. That motel in the picture IS IN DEL RIO so Ted has "some esplainin" to do in my book.

Whatever you do....don't call heads or tails if he flips a coin.

On a serious side, should have the Saturday night dining for the ride wrapped up here in a day or two.

greenman

kv5e said:
BREAKING NEWS

We have just obtained a picture of the real owner of the Half Cow Ranch:​

oldmen1.jpg

I guess this is one of the explanations for the troubles out there.......... :))​

No one has perished on the ranch in over 180 30 days so things are actually looking up around there.

More Breaking News...

Ted can't go to Alpine this year.......
Have something to do in New Orleans that I had planned to miss.
(The Navy Squadron that I retired from is having a Reunion, I've missed the last 5)

Wife prefers the New Orleans Trip over the Alpine Trip, and admittedly I would like to go to New Orleans as well.
So, I going to New Orleans that weekend..

ya'll have fun.

Ride safe, Ted

Now we can start talkin' trash on Ted.

No Ted, we really hadn't started yet.  >:D

In all earnestness, it's a shame you AND I ain't gonna make it brother...  Not sure how folks are gonna manage. 
And I certainly hope you and mama have some good fun in N'Or Lins.

Ted,

Sorry to hear that you will miss the ride but I know how olde Navy guys like to dress up and go to bars. :eek:

Have a great time with your old shipmates and I will still match my donation to OTP again if you will shine my Sidi's at the Wildflower Ride! :))

Troy is coming so we'll have some of the seasoned crew there.  Should be a great ride although I will hate to see the wildfire damage from last year.

Craig

Hmmm, Mebbe we'de better firm up how much that Pledge is Gonna be..    ???
I'm cheap but I ain't EZ..

Is $500 a good place to start?

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Hmmm, Mebbe we'de better firm up how much that Pledge is Gonna be..    ???
I'm cheap but I ain't EZ..

Is $500 a good place to start?

Ride safe, Ted

I think you are off by an order of magnitude, but the real reason I have been kidding about this is to encourage others to chip in on OtP before the Flog-a-Matic shows up at one of our rides!!!!!!
Don't worry about the shine rag......I'll chip some more in for your hard work (slave labor) on the the OtP project all these years and I encourage everyone to try to do something.

I know Rev is in so maybe a few others can help support this worthy endeavour.

Your friend,

Craig

Now that the infommercial for OtP is finished, we can get back to the business of throwing Ted under the bus for general principles! :character0029: Rev, et al. >:D

Craig

Just checked with Alpine and there are still a few rooms left at the Maverick Inn. Remember, rooms held for COG area released on March 5th if not booked.

Additionally, a head count for dinner is helpful. Dinner will be Saturday night the 24th 7PM at the Bread and Breakfast Cafe, 113 W. Holland in downtown Alpine. This is the place where some of us have breakfast and they are opening up for a catered dinner of BBQ.

Cost is about $14 per person, so please if you plan on attending the dinner please acknowledge here.

It's time to ride and wear out some rubber on the sides of tyres!

Craig

If we make it out there we sure will want to eat.  Will they open for us with only 5 people registered so far?

HEY GUYS  ^-^
HOW IS EVERYONE DOING ?
IT HAS BEEN SOME TIME I DON'T SEE AND  DON'T TALK TO YOU GUYS.
JUST TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THERE WILL BE A GROUP OF 4 RIDERS AND MYSELF IN ALPINE ON THE SAME DATES YOU GUYS.
NOT SURE YET WHERE WE WILL BE STAYING BUT I WILL SHOW UP BY THE MAVERICK TO SAY HI TO YOU.
04 RIDERS WILL SPEND THE NIGHT IN DEL RIO AND RIDE TO ALPINE ON THURSDAY AM.
I WILL FLY TO LA ON WED, PICK UP MY NEW (OLD) BIKE AND RIDE TO ALPINE. SHALL ARRIVE ALPINE FRIDAY.
WILL BE IN TOUCH. WE MAY RIDE / EAT / HAVE A GOOD TIME ALL TOGETHER.
CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK TO BB (MY THIRD TIME) AFTER TWO YEARS !
YOU ALL RIDE SAFE
SEE YA

MARCEL  ;)

smithr-scad said:
If we make it out there we sure will want to eat.  Will they open for us with only 5 people registered so far?

11 people total for dinner according to the registrations so as we get closer to the date I will take the final tally to Judy at B & B and ensure that we are OK.

There's a couple of other options if we don't meet the requirements.

La Casita has great food and Texas Fusion opened under another name......it's a revolving door for restaraunteers un Alpine.

Reata Steakhouse has good food and wine list, but it is not the usual COG price line.

Craig

My plan is to ride to Comstock Thursday and stay in that small motel they have there.  Friday morning will try to meet up with the group that is camping and ride to Alpine with them.  If we can't connect, then will see everyone in Alpine.

I hope I am making sense, had surgery this week, and as I type I am still on some pain meds......I do feel good.

Fred

I am not sure yet when I will be there but I plan on eating with everyone Saturday night. My plan is to either leave Thursday evening or Friday Morning.
Butch

rbentdude said:
I am not sure yet when I will be there but I plan on eating with everyone Saturday night. My plan is to either leave Thursday evening or Friday Morning.
Butch
Thanks Butch! We'll look for you there!

Craig

smithr-scad said:

Bob,

There's five registered, but if you include guests and non-registered I am figuring on between 15 and 20 diners.

This can be firmed up a couple of days before. She said "no minimum" on persons so we are golden.

This is a good contact to remember for future rides if the food is good. I know the breakfast there is always great.

Craig

Are y'all still doing the Half Cow thing on Thursday night?  If so, what are your plans for breakfast on Friday morning? 

I plan on heading out Thursday and meeting up with my friend, and then ride on to Comstock and try that little motel they have there.  If there is still plenty of light, and some of you arrive early at the Half Cow, we may come out for a short visit.  If not, then I was hoping to meet up for breakfast on Friday Morning and tag along with y'all on the ride to Alpine.

So I HAD vacation planned for this coming week, but due to some awesome stuff at work (our sales have taken a huge spike upward, so my call center's work has basically doubled overnight) I had to cancel it.  It was because I was on vacation from 3/10 to 3/17 that I originally figured I couldn't do this trip.

Well....

Without going back and reading 8 pages of thread, what are the odds of my getting to do this?  Are there reservations that need to be made that are too late because things are booked?  Are there any folks who are still looking for a roommate to share expenses? 

I'm going to try to scan a bit, but I'm fairly busy with work stuff but it really should be calmed down over the next week as my staff is in place and the new systems I've implimented are working.

Just an update, I read the thread, and didn't see anyone looking for a roomie.  Anyone?  Anyone?  I'm checking with a few of my homies to see if they might be interested.

Hi Necron99,

I looked into rooms on various travel sites for the Mavric (?) Inn and could not find one.  I am a last minute chance person too, in this case anyway.

Best regards,
Blackgold

Blackgold said:
Hi Necron99,

I looked into rooms on various travel sites for the Mavric (?) Inn and could not find one.  I am a last minute chance person too, in this case anyway.

Best regards,
Blackgold

Maverick Inn is a small motel.  I don't think you will find it subscribed to the discounts sites.

All, I haven't realeased my room at the maverick as I was still hoping that I could make the trip.
I will have the final answer on Monday. It doesn't look good.

If anyone wants my room, send me a note at ted@zggtr.org and I'll send you a note as soon as I find out tomorrow.

Ride safe, Ted

Ok, I just called the Maverick.
There are at least 2 more rooms available, plus (probably) mine.
The 2 rooms are a Queen and  a King.
Mine is 2 Queen beds arriving on the 23rd. leaving on the 25th.

Mike S. sent me a note at my Email address, and I called him.
We talked, and he is wainting to get in touch with (someone) to see about sharing a room.

Ya'll get together and work out what you want to do. I'll call Mike and send a note here tomorrow

Ride safe, Ted

FYI I'm Michael S.    Certainly looking for a roommate.  Checking with a regular ride buddy to see if he's keen.

I thought so, but wasn't sure.
My room is available Mike.
Let me know if you want it.
If you do not, reply here and we'll let it go to whomever wants it.

Ride safe, Ted

Ted: Sorry you not going this year. However I am sure you will have fun in New Orleans.

Craig: The group I will be riding with (4 riders + myself) will leave Del Rio to Alpine on Thursday morning.
I expect to arrive Alpine sometime on Friday. We will be staying at the Hampton In in Alpine.

Everyone please be safe and have lots of fun !

Marcel

That's the same email address I sent the first message to, Butch.  Just wanted to make sure we're talking in case we can make this work.  Is your buddy going to make it, or are you still looking for a roommate?  Check your spam if you didn't get my reply.

Marcel said:
Ted: Sorry you not going this year. However I am sure you will have fun in New Orleans.

Craig: The group I will be riding with (4 riders + myself) will leave Del Rio to Alpine on Thursday morning.
I expect to arrive Alpine sometime on Friday. We will be staying at the Hampton In in Alpine.

Everyone please be safe and have lots of fun !

Marcel

Thanks for the heads up Marcel! Please join is for dinner on Saturday night at Bread and Breakfast (7PM).

Weather looks good with 70s in the afternoons and mid to high 40s in the mornings and copious sunny skies.

Bring some sun block.

I've been up in Chicago on a an engineering trip with long hours the last week and I AM READY TO RIDE the twisties.

Craig

Craig

Are y'all still doing the Half Cow thing?  I have made reservations at the Comstock Motel in Comstock for Thursday night in case anyone is going to be in the area.  Was planning on meeting up with the Half Cow group on Friday morning, but if that is a no go, I just plan to take the slow route to Alpine.

Ok so I'm rooming with Butch on Friday/ Saturday.  I'm going to rid that away on Thursday. What time and where do things begin on Friday?  I don't want to miss riding with the group that day. I'll be dining Saturday night as well. 

Necron99 said:
Ok so I'm rooming with Butch on Friday/ Saturday.  I'm going to rid that away on Thursday. What time and where do things begin on Friday?  I don't want to miss riding with the group that day. I'll be dining Saturday night as well.

Pamela and I are leaving DFW on Thursday morning so you are welcome to ride down with us. We take US 67 down to Alpine so a meeting point can be arranged.

We usually have breakfast and then split up for riding On Friday and Saturday  and again you are welcome to join us.

Craig

I'm torn on a more scenic route like that or taking the slab to Midland and saying howdy to a buddy there, which is a good chunk of why I was looking for the start time and location on Friday, so I can decide if I can make it. 

Where were you guys planning on staying on Thursday?  In Alpine?

We are at the Maverick Inn for the Ride starting Thursday night.

Breakfast is usually around 0730-0800 and then we start the ride around 0900 (giving the deer time to wind down).

We ride either the Davis Mountains Loop or the BBNP/River Road one day, and then pick up the other on Saturday.

Looks like nice weather the whole four days so the decision can be made at breakfast. There may be enough that two groups split up.

Last year on Friday we did both the Northern and Southern loops!

I will have my Spot beacon running so if you have a smart phone you can find our location with the link I post before we leave or call, the phone is in the first post.

Your choice sir,

Craig

I don't have a place to stay specifically on Thursday.  I'm check with Butch to see if I can extend the room a night early, to Thursday...which is probable, I'd guess.

Ok, I'm staying at Maverick on Thursday so I'd love to ride down with you, Craig.  Where do you want to meet up?  I live in Lewisville, so someplace on the southwest side of things would be fine  -  Cleburne, Glen Rose, Granbury, Stephenville... or somewhere else in the metroplex, depending on where y'all are coming from.

Necron99 said:
Ok, I'm staying at Maverick on Thursday so I'd love to ride down with you, Craig.  Where do you want to meet up?  I live in Lewisville, so someplace on the southwest side of things would be fine  -  Cleburne, Glen Rose, Granbury, Stephenville... or somewhere else in the metroplex, depending on where y'all are coming from.

How about the Exxon/Whataburger in Venus on US 67 about 0830? That's right where FM 157 and US 67 cross and the station is on the SW corner.

There's usually three stops on the way down:

Comanche - Gas/stretch
San Angelo - Gas/stretch/lunch
McCamey - Gas/Stretch

Should get to Alpine ~1700-1730 or so.

Craig

Necron99 said:
How about the Tiger Mart in Alvarado on 35 and 67?    Then I'm not back tracking.

That's fine......I guess you will take 407 over to 35W or something like that.

Craig

Fred said:
Still haven't heard from anyone, is the Half Cow get together still on for Thursday?

Fred I don't think so. Looks like Ted is not coming this year and there has not been a groundswell of folks saying there are headed to the Half Cow.

Ted is the host at the Half Cow so it is likely no get together this year there in Del Rio.

I am guessing and could be subject to being overruled or ridiculed at any time.  ;D

Craig

You post on this forum, ergo could be subject to ridicule at any time!!! LOL  :rotflmao:  :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:

Necron99 said:
You post on this forum, ergo could be subject to ridicule at any time!!! LOL  :rotflmao:  :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:

Cogito, Ergo, Ridiculum :))

The problem with our cunning plan is that I have to drive across the entirety of Fort Worth during morning commute time...  I have no idea how long this will take... so I'll leave really early, and hope.  LOL

The HOV lane on I-35E might help for some time going toward downtown Dallas , once you get past downtown Dallas US 67 splits off toward Cedar Hill.

That's against the traffic south of downtown so the logjam between 183 and Downtown is the slow part.

You could also take Loop 12 off of I-35E going south and then take Spur 408 to I-20. The US 67 exit is only a couple miles east of there and this might be the best route.

That's why I would not take 121 over to Cowtown. Too many logjams that way.

We'll meet up over there in Alvarado when we are both there. (A simple declarative sentence)

Craig

You may be right, that may be the best way to go... hadn't thought of that, I ride 35 every day to 635 normally.

Hey folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best Weather in years during this weekend from DFW to Big Bend.
Last chance to tell the boss that you have an allergist appointment in Alpine and have to go! :motonoises:

Lows in the high 40's, Highs in the 70's and no mixed down jetstream winds.

I am not even going to pack Rain Gear.

Craig

kv5e said:
Hey folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best Weather in years during this weekend from DFW to Big Bend.
Last chance to tell the boss that you have an allergist appointment in Alpine and have to go! :motonoises:

Lows in the high 40's, Highs in the 70's and no mixed down jetstream winds.

I am not even going to pack Rain Gear.

Craig

I am, I have been caught short out there more than once.  ;D

You are right the weather does look great.  Time to  :motonoises:

Good news is I do not have to wait till noon to leave tomorrow anymore.
Bad news is I have not packed a thing or gotten anything ready.  I have the club board meeting tonight so will not get anything done tonight.  I may still not get out of Austin till noon. 

smithr-scad said:
Bad news is I have not packed a thing or gotten anything ready.  I have the club board meeting tonight so will not get anything done tonight.  I may still not get out of Austin till noon.

If you don't feel like riding all the way to Alpine, come join us at Comstock.

smithr-scad said:

If you had the Board Meeting standing up, it would go faster!

Let's hope the excessive bloviating is at a minimum and you can get out faster.

We'll keep the light on for you. (Tom Bodet music fades................)

Craig

Necron99 said:
Thanks for jinxing me with the weather talk.  Lol.  Gonna get wet leaving dfw today.

This is just very light wrap around precip from the low.

Streets are wet but it is more of a nuisance than anything.

If we move the time out a half hour it will help so KSU from Alvarado at 0900 instead of 0830.

It will just get better and better from there.

Craig

Necron99 said:
No worries.  I'm at tiger Mary.  See you in a bit and everyone else soon!
Hmmm!  Tiger Mary sounds more ike a brothel than a convenience store.  :rotflmao:

Durn those tiny phone keyboards.  :beerchug:

Yall have a blast. Wish Ted or I were going with you. hehehe

Wasn't a minute I wished I'd brought my heated stuff.  We got into the low 40s VERY briefly, but mostly rode from the mid 50s to the mid 80s.  I do wish I'd brought my mesh jacket along.  But I wasn't miserable because I didn't.  Awesome riding, terrific companionship, thanks everyone, for showing a Big Bend newb a few of the more interesting ropes!

Pamela and I are back safe and Butch was right behind us.

Thanks to all for joining the 2012 Big Bend Ride as we had fantastic weather, great fellowship and a top notch COG Dinner, and uh, some of the best riding in years on the Texas' premiere roads in the mountains.

Special thanks to the NM COG folks who came.

A ride report to Bob Smith and pics will be posted shortly (few days).

Last two years the weather has been great and put in the plans for next year.

Craig and Pamela

kv5e said:
Pamela and I are back safe and Butch was right behind us.

Thanks to all for joining the 2012 Big Bend Ride as we had fantastic weather, great fellowship and a top notch COG Dinner, and uh, some of the best riding in years on the Texas' premiere roads in the mountains.

Special thanks to the NM COG folks who came.

A ride report to Bob Smith and pics will be posted shortly (few days).

Last two years the weather has been great put in the plans for next year.

Craig and Pamela
Glad to hear yall made it home safe and that you had good weather, etc.  I'm betting that Big Joe was wearing his heated gear all week just so yall could enjoy.  :)

I hope yall did some serious leaning fer me too.  Welcome home.

Made it back to Rio rancho, Nm as well. 
I had a blast and enjoyed meeting some new folks.
I think next time I'll have to bring a camera.  Pretty awesome sight when the gang was flying through the Davis mountains..

See ya at the Nationals!  ;)

Ted

Made it home safe and sound.  I did hit some rain between Del Rio and Uvalde.  It was strange, because when I stopped for gas I checked the weather radar on my phone and it showed no rain.  I guess I must have entered the West Texas Twilight Zone.

Had a great time.

Fred

Rev Ryder said:
Glad to hear yall made it home safe and that you had good weather, etc.  I'm betting that Big Joe was wearing his heated gear all week just so yall could enjoy.  :)

I even made vroom-vroom noises!  :rotflmao:

Really missed riding with y'all. Glad everyone had great weather and safe rides!

We got home fine.  Thanks to all and we had a great time.

The camera did NOT flash at the dinner :(  I got no group pictures.

smithr-scad said:
We got home fine.  Thanks to all and we had a great time.

The camera did NOT flash at the dinner :(  I got no group pictures.

Pamela has some pics and we'll mail those to you tonight......trip report in a few days.

Marcel, thanks for coming and we hope to see you again soon.

Craig

Where's the smiley face on 2 wheels? 
Meeting the SC group and riding along was a great thrill.  Thanks to Craig & Pamela for hosting in such a friendly, twisted  :-\  manner.  Zach and I made it back to Cruces in fine shape.  Well at least the bikes were. 

Joyce
~~0-/0

Here is a video I put together from some video that I took while on the Big Bend ride.  Don't expect some Hollywood stuff, I have only done a couple of these, so I am pretty new to it.  I gave credit to the artist of the song, but it may get deleted, so if you end up seeing it with no sound, sorry.

2012 COG RIDE THE TWISTIES BIG BEND.wmv

That really was nice, Fred - wish I'd been there!  I even got to hear the music; that was a great selection for that footage.

That was nice Fred.  It was like a snip of what it feels like to ride and ride through the flat boring and then finally getting there.  It did not give away all the thrills once there which is ok.  Come see for yourself I say.

Great job.  I also liked the music - nice touch  :)
Just got back from watching the movie Monumental - Kirk Cameron. Fantastic movie about getting back to our roots.

I think I have to get one of those cameras for Eureka Springs -  that old camcorder of mine just doesn't cut it  :'(

It was a pleasure meeting you

Ted

Well I worked hard last night picking the best of the pictures we took out there.  I edited them and made a great slide show...  Today work has blocked my ability to post any of it to the web.  :(  I hope I can get them up some day.

smithr-scad said:
Well I worked hard last night picking the best of the pictures we took out there.  I edited them and made a great slide show...  Today work has blocked my ability to post any of it to the web.  :(  I hope I can get them up some day.

I will download from the cameras and send you some tonight.....I think we have two dinner shots like I promised.

Craig

Well of the over 400 pics Leslie and I took about 50 are worth looking at.  That is about 38mb.  I have a flicker account but that would surpass my free quota.  Not sure how I would send the entire lot to you.  Ended up that not many of the people shots came out though.  At least the ones I took at the banquet.