• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2012 Concours, 24k miles

mikekc185189

COG, looking to get my valves adjusted so I called 2 shops today and just about fell off my chair. Independent shop quoted $700.00 and dealer ship quoted $950.00.
By chance can anyone recommend a shop in SoCal or Tucson that's a little more reasonably priced? Thanks.

$700 from the independent is about right. Avoid dealerships at all costs, they will lie to you and you get nothing for your money. I'm sure there are exceptions somewhere. I've done valves for people for $450 plus parts, and that's the friendly Cog and friends price. So $700 is about right. Ask for charts before and after adjustments. And pictures to prove they did anything at all.

Yup, a lot of labor. I recommend that you have the fuel pump sock replaced since the tank has to be removed. You may be able to do this yourself. It's not that hard of a job. The fuel pump assy. will need to be disassembled.

Jeff Hamilton the SoCal AAD works on C14's and does valve adjustments. Lives in Adelanto. Might be worth sending him a message. He does detailed work and does it very well. Also he owned a 2012 Root Beer color C14.

Thank you all for the advice ----- I bought the bike from the Salem police dept and did receive some service records but no history of valve adj at 16k miles so I'm assuming it was never done. I did replace the air filter at 23k miles and it looked like the original ( nasty dirty ) so I'll have to go thru the whole bike before any long rides.

Attachments

• concours-trip.jpg
    concours-trip.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 109
I bought the bike from the Salem police dept and did receive some service records but no history of valve adj at 16k miles so I'm assuming it was never done.
Find out which MC shop in the area serviced the city police MC's and contact them for the maintenance records. Could call police station, but just as easily call couple of the town's independent MC service people, who likely talk among themselves. On valve work: bet a shop has to take off a number of police only accessories and parts to gain access. I would say your quotes are reasonable, BTW; wonder if the quoters know that yours is an outfitted police bike.

Also I waited till 33,000 for my first valve check, YMMV.

Last edited:
I don't think I have not changed the air filter on my C14 that didn't look it needed to have been changed a long time ago.