• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2012 Wildflower Ride Dates are set

Fred H.

The 2012 Wildflower Ride will be back at the River Inn Resort on the weekend of April 14th and 15th.

I haven't yet figured out the meal arrangements, but I'll probably get some sort of catered in meal for Saturday night.

Book your reservations early if you want a room, cause this place fills up every year. If you wait till the last minute, you won't be able to get a room.

http://www.riverinnresort.com/

2960 Hwy 39
Hunt, Texas 78024
TEL: 800.841.0501

Ask for the COG discount when you book your room. 2bdr is $125, and studio rooms/one bedroom are $85.

Both Big Bend and Wildflower are on the calendar now.  Thanks to Fred, Craig and Ted for getting these set up.

The Turbo is anxious, but I know I can't do em all and the National.... decisions, decisions. 

I booked my room for Wildflower.  Any bets on the weather.
Drought
Flood
Perfect

I know we are due a perfect.

connie_rider said:
Geez, it's still a long way till Wildflower. Can't wait!

Ride safe, Ted

Heading out to Big Bend January 26th to the 30th.  Right now there are about 6 of us, but the number may climb a bit.  I would suggest some Long Johns, or in my case electric gear.    ;D

Fred said:
connie_rider said:
Geez, it's still a long way till Wildflower. Can't wait!

Ride safe, Ted

Heading out to Big Bend January 26th to the 30th.  Right now there are about 6 of us, but the number may climb a bit.  I would suggest some Long Johns, or in my case electric gear.    ;D

Don't forget chains and/or snow tires! :-\

Last year, (or was it the year before)? there was a flood that temporarily blocked the roads to the River Inn.
Irony: On that day a gang of Harley Riders were trapped between 2 of the river crossings. Had to spend the night in a Church until the road cleared....  :rotflmao:
(Rumors are, the Church will never be the same)....  :beerchug:

Note; There has been some rain in the area, so maybe we'll have wildflowers for the wifes to see this year...
          (Ya'll know that I'm a safe rider).  So, even when there are flowers, I seldom see them.
          My eyes are on the twisty roads....  :motonoises:

Ya'll plan on being there. Gonna be GREAT!!!!  :))

Ride safe, Ted

I'm arranging for a catered meal (Bills BBQ) saturday night at the River Inn, so please register on the calendar if you are going. It's going to be about $11 a plate for a two meat combo plate. I can get a three meat plate for about $13 if y'all wanna go whole hog.

Meat choices are: sliced brisket, chicken halves, ribs, turkey, or sausage. I'll have to tell them in advance which meats we want. You'll get more meat with chicken, and you only get 2 ribs if that is one of your meats. I'll probably either go with brisket and ribs, or bisket and chicken. If I go with three meats, the third meat will probably be the sausage.

Lets see a show of hands, how many want an $11 two meat plate and how many want a $13 three meat plate?

2/3 Hog is good for me too. (that means two meats)

Don't let Ted know I agreed with him on something, but Brisket and Sausage works best for me.  Getting more isn't too important I don't think.  Previous experience says we probably can't eat it all anyway.

All that said, I'll eat what I get.

Two Meat Plate for Pamela and myself.

Craig

Two is fine with me.  Brisket  and ribs or sausage.  I like ribs and Leslie likes sausage.  Chicken was to hard to eat last year.

BILL'S BBQ???  or Buzzies?

smithr-scad said:
BILL'S BBQ???  or Buzzies?

I did some checking around, and the general consensus I got from everyone who had tried both, was that Bills was better than Buzzies, so I'm going to try Bills out.

Sounds like two meat plates are the consensus. I'll go ahead and order the sliced armadillo and possum tail plates.

smithr-scad said:
I booked my room for Wildflower.  Any bets on the weather.
Drought
Flood
Perfect

I know we are due a perfect.

Yes we ARE due a perfect!
And I finally got my room for this AND the National.  I'm set.  All I need now is a motorcycle and money.  ;)

Going to be joining y'all again this year. Enjoyed it so much last year, thought I'd do it again.  See ya then...

Great. If you haven't made your reservation, do so now.
We'll meet you in the parking lot, where we'll be working on Rev's bike.

(correction: We'll be "watching" Rev work on Rev's bike)...    :85:

Ride safe, Ted

A COG-SC tradition!  :beerchug:

2010COGWildflower_008.jpg

This was 2010.  ;D

Ok, reservation made. And yes Big Joe is correct, I have been involved in those parking lot tech sessions before, not on my bike of course, but helping others.

BigJoeVA68 said:
A COG-SC tradition!  :beerchug:

2010COGWildflower_008.jpg

This was 2010.  ;D

You are a bad man Big Joe.  But not as bad as Ted who's just sitting there under his Red and Black umbrella giving the Turbo the Evil Eye to make it not run.

Rev Ryder said:
You are a bad man Big Joe.  But not as bad as Ted who's just sitting there under his Red and Black umbrella giving the Turbo the Evil Eye to make it not run.

This is why I am not worried about Ted's threat of "rumors." I still have pictures from Big Bend last year...and Photoshop. He may start rumors, but I can make them come to life. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  :p

:rotflmao:

;D

BigJoeVA68 said:
Rev Ryder said:

This is why I am not worried about Ted's threat of "rumors." I still have pictures from Big Bend last year...and Photoshop. He may start rumors, but I can make them come to life. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  :p

:rotflmao:
;D

Oh yeah!!!!!????

Well, I cain't do photoshop, but I can tell all sorts of storeees about you when I get to da Wildflower.....
          errr, uhh,,, hmmmm,,, koff, koff,,,,  that is x'actly whut yer talkin' about, ain't it?                 
                hmm, let me rethink this..

I know the solution:    Joe,,, ya gotta be there!!!!!!

Rev, as I recall, I had "BADLY" hurt my back "that" year.
In the photo, I was setting with you 'out in the rain' (After painfully dragging my chair out).
I did that so that I could give you moral support and to pray fer the Turbo...    O:)
(I never lie,,,, much)

All the other times that it broke down, I wuz down on my hands and knees with ya.....  :motonoises:
                  (Unpluggin' wires and actin' like I was helping)...  :29:

Ride safe, Ted

The rest of ya'll "really" need to sign up for this one. Gonna be great!!!

I may be reprieved on my business trip that would have kept me away. Is there anyone that want's to share a room?
I left a message this evening at the River Inn, but with it being so late, I don't hold much hope of a room with that many on the registration list.  Oh well, I think I have enough hotel points in Kerrville. If it comes to be that I can make it, anyone departing Houston Friday AM?

c14addict said:
I may be reprieved on my business trip that would have kept me away. Is there anyone that want's to share a room?
I left a message this evening at the River Inn, but with it being so late, I don't hold much hope of a room with that many on the registration list.  Oh well, I think I have enough hotel points in Kerrville. If it comes to be that I can make it, anyone departing Houston Friday AM?

I plan on leaving Houston Friday morning... not too early... wait for the lemmings to head to the offices first... I usually take my time going over there... end up freeway buzzing when the weekend's over....  I live in Cypress.. off 290 near Barker Cypress.... it's always better to have a few bikes in the parade....

As far as the room is concerned... it's best if you can park right there... I have a room reserved... if it comes down to the wire we can work something out.... rumor is that I snore but it never wakes me up...  :smiley_confused1:

Jack Cavuoti said:
c14addict said:

I plan on leaving Houston Friday morning... not too early... wait for the lemmings to head to the offices first... I usually take my time going over there... end up freeway buzzing when the weekend's over....  I live in Cypress.. off 290 near Barker Cypress.... it's always better to have a few bikes in the parade....

As far as the room is concerned... it's best if you can park right there... I have a room reserved... if it comes down to the wire we can work something out.... rumor is that I snore but it never wakes me up...  :smiley_confused1:

I've got a room too.  Doubt the missus gets to come due to her work.  I too snore, but even I can't sleep through it.  :-[

I checked with the River Inn a few days ago, and they had 18 rooms booked for COG. Not sure how many are left at this point, but it's starting to fill up.

Bill's BBQ will be catering the meal Saturday night, for $11 a head. I told him we would probably have about 20-25 folks, and I'll call him Friday with a final head count, but it would help me if you would register on the calendar if you plan to attend and want to eat so I have an idea of how many to expect for the meal.

It will be a two meat plate of Brisket and Ribs with the potato salad and beans sides.  I also requested a larger portion of meat, which I think he is charging us an extra dollar a plate for.

If you'd like to bring some appetizers or deserts to contribute to the meal please feel free to do so. In years past we usually have some who bring wine and cheese and dips and chips etc that we use as appetizers before the meal.

I'm praying for good weather. The bluebonnets are already coming up around here, and all indications are that this will be a good year for flowers.

connie_rider said:
Looking forward to it.
Will be bringing some Jalopenia Poppers to put on the fire.

Ride safe, Ted

What would the weekend be without those Jalopenia (??) Poppers??  Don't forget to pass the hat for those... maybe the fire extinguisher too..... :06: :103:

Chuck, thanks for the offer, but I finally committed (I should be) to a room they had. Starting out Fri AM from Houston area.
I remember that picture of the turbo, cuz I snapped it.  The gurgling sound of the intake as you forded the river was unmistakable.

Jack, I sent you a PM about Friday.

Anyone else traveling from Houston Friday?

We'll be traveling from Houston on Friday. But we will be trailering.
Yes, I know I'm a bad person... But not as bad as Rev... <grin>

Ride safe, Ted

I could go on either Thursday or Friday.  I lived in Kerrville for nearly twenty years so I have places to stay.  I could maybe even get a waterfront house 1/4 mile from the River Inn that belongs to Doc Bowers and his wife, but I'd be embarrassed to ask as I haven't kept up the relationship well enough.  :( 

EDIT TO ADD:  But Ted, I'm bad in a good way.  :) 
If you trailered my bike I could bring the margarita machine again. LOL

Or you could trailer the margarita machine if you'd stay out of the tequila until we got there and parked.

connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

Troy and I will stir up some real whoppers about you down in Big Bend now that you have bailed on us there and want to go to New Orleans with the Navy guys , dress up, and hang around bars.

I know the kind of bars you will be hanging out in and they probably have a Unisex bathroom! :eek:

greenman

Ain't skeert

Sadly that got cancelled too. Navy Reunion is now in April.
Other things came up that finally made me cancel.

But you don't gotta make up stories about a sailor bar..... Those bars have enough true stories...
(Danged Sandcrab) It's not a bathroom, it's a Head...

Did I tell ya the stories about the Monkey Bar in Hawaii, or The Fleets Inn in Spain,  or Blowjob Mary's in the Pi? Or, or, or,or,,,,,,,,

Ride safe, Ted

Looks like there might be some spirited conversation around the fire pit at the River Inn Saturday night.... all the more reason for those late bloomers to get on the Wildflower Bandwagon and join us out there.... As far as other things to do in the area, there are a few good wineries in the area, never been to one but have friends who do tours and can recommend some worthy stops.... we'll see as the calendar moves steadfastly towards the scheduled weekend....

I can't say I know what wine would go with Jalapenia Poppers... Ted's famous concoction .... but it depends on how thoroughly the seeds were removed... could be a Kodak moment....

The "Whine" that we normally see/hear around the fire when we're eating Jalopenia Poppers is;

"Geez", someone give me a beer, I'm on fire!
                      or
"Geez", someone give me a beer,  somethin' smells awful!!

:rotflmao: :beerchug: :))

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

Hey Ted, I'm being bad to, I will be trailering from east Texas. And as far as what wine goes with poppers, thats easy, Franzia Sunset Blush $12 a box and I will have one with me when I get there.

Ahh, that's my favorite. I'll drink some.
If ya bring somethin' else,,, It's my favorite too.
Etc, etc, etc, etc,,,,,,,,

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Ahh, that's my favorite. I'll drink some.
If ya bring somethin' else,,, It's my favorite too.
Etc, etc, etc, etc,,,,,,,,

Ride safe, Ted

I figure a box of wine and a case of Coors Light should last us two days right ?

Last year I took a half gallon of tequila for Margaritas and the margarita machine went dry while some folks could still walk. Not good!  :D

Danged if I know. Never had to buy it away from here.
I keep it in my alkyholl inventory at all times!!!
BUt, I suspect you can get it up yer way.
It's normaly beside the Captain Morgan.
(But it tastes better)... (And is stronger).....

Ride safe, Ted

Sailor Jerry is available at "The Main" liquor store in Kerrville.  I say that will full knowledge of the fact.  You can also get it at both other liquor stores there, but they are higher priced.  One of the others over on 16 South has the "Kracken" too.  Not as good though.  A little more like chocolate and licorice than vanilla like Sailor Jerry.  And you;re correct about Sailor Jerry kickin' on alky content at 92 proof. WOOF!

PS. It's a lot cheaper at Specks.

Just saw that there's a "Three Sister's Rally" going on the same weekend.  Ought to make for some interesting riding?

To add to the crowd, a BMW group that I ride with is also having a ride the same weekend.  They are even staying at the same hotel as us.

Them Beemer guys... always trying to squeeze in on our action... they even copied our bikes a few years before they came out.  :rotflmao:

Anyone leaving from the Houston area on Friday afternoon?  Looks like I'm jammed at work for the morning at least, but will head out in the afternoon or early evening.  If anyone wants to hook up you can gmail me at jkronk. 

We're leaving that morning, so I guess we'll keep the light on for ya. . See you there!
I'll be the one with the Red Connie......

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
We're leaving that morning, so I guess we'll keep the light on for ya. . See you there!
I'll be the one with the Red Connie ON THE TRAILER.
Ride safe, Ted
Fitzed it fer ya Ted.  DOn;t worry, you know I gotz yer back.  :D

EDIT TO ADD:
I'm still thinking I'm headig out on Thursday sometime.  Man, am I ready for an actual day off.  Shame the bikes aren't yet.  :(

Rev Ryder said:
connie_rider said:
Ride safe, Ted

EDIT TO ADD:
I'm still thinking I'm headig out on Thursday sometime.  Man, am I ready for an actual day off.  Shame the bikes aren't yet.  :(

COG SENIOR MANAGEMENT.......they all trailer!
:D

kv5e said:
Rev Ryder said:
connie_rider said:
Ride safe, Ted

EDIT TO ADD:

COG SENIOR MANAGEMENT.......they all trailer!
:D

That is wrong on sooooo many levels. Sorry Ted didn't know they were gonna hit you that hard.
Look on the bright side, atleast they didn't suggest you need to change brands (as in H.D)

smithr-scad said:
Hey now we ride to Wildflower.

Yep you do Bob, so you get the Mulligan. ;D

As for the OtP Slave Labour m1n1on, well, he is a good guy after all. :nananana:

:))

If ya'll are thru "hasseling" me,,,    :mad:
                  How many rooms are booked for the Event,, and how many more are available?

If we have a lot of folks,, I can visit with the others,,,, AND ignore ya'll better!  :p

Ride safe, Ted  (Trailer Sinner)

If ya'll are thru "hasseling" me,,,   

I got my room.... I didn't go last year and wonder if they did anything to improve the Wi Fi there???? 
BTW.. I will be honing my photography skills in preparation for the unofficial photographer for the National Rally... so I am apt to catch people in "various" poses.... candid.... etc... so don't get caught doing something that might be embarrassing... (other than having a perfectly good running motorcycle on a trailer)....  :sign0151:

Attachments

• IMAG0007.JPG
    IMAG0007.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 115
Last year I could only get WIFI near the rec room, although I did get it out on the deck as well. Enough bandwidth to Skype audio on my phone at least, since cell service was nil. Nothing in the room, though.

Jack Cavuoti said:
If ya'll are thru "hasseling" me,,,   

I got my room.... I didn't go last year and wonder if they did anything to improve the Wi Fi there???? 
BTW.. I will be honing my photography skills in preparation for the unofficial photographer for the National Rally... so I am apt to catch people in "various" poses.... candid.... etc... so don't get caught doing something that might be embarrassing... (other than having a perfectly good running motorcycle on a trailer)....  :sign0151:

Yeah, that looks like Ted and Troy being compromised there.  REmind me not to hang too close to TEd this year.  :rotflmao: :nananana:

I'm registered and booked at there motel. Is anyone leaving from DFW and heading down?

I had a FJR for 5 yrs before I got my Concours C14. Looking forward to meeting new folks.  ^-^

Vern

Yeah, that looks like Ted and Troy being compromised there.  REmind me not to hang too close to TEd this year.   

I think in Ted's case that is his Flog-O- Matic pose...

Vern, I'll be leaving from Houston.
But there are some Dallas folks going.

Big Joe. Was that you in Jacks photo?

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Vern, I'll be leaving fromHouston.
But there are some Dallas folks going.

Big Joe. Was that you in jacks photo?

Ride safe, Ted
Ted, I do believe that is you on the left.  It is definitely Troy on the right.

FYI - The meal will be a catered event at the River Inn on Saturday night at 6:30
pm. Cost will be $11 per plate. Bill's BBQ will be providing a two meat
plate of ribs and sliced brisket with the standard sides (beans and potato
salad) and ice tea. http://www.billsbbq.net/

You will be on your own for all your other meals. The Hunter House in Hunt
is one close by option. The Inn of The Hills http://www.innofthehills.com/
in Kerrville also has a really great breakfast buffet ($9.95) that is
worth sampling. Most of the rooms also have cooking facilities and there
are also BBQ grills outside for you to use, so feel free to bring your own
food. I'd also recommend packing some ground coffee in a small ziplock
baggie. The rooms have coffee makers, but you'll need to bring your own
coffee and cream/sugar if you need it.

Feel free to bring an appetizer or desert of your own if you want for the
Saturday meal. We usually have some folks who contribute cheese and crackers
and chips and dips and have a little cheese and wine before the meal
arrives.

Hope to see y'all there. Ride Safe.

Also, be sure to bring "tall" boots to wear for the evening gatherings.    :a102:

There is always a lot of bench racing, lie swapping, and Bull S______g going on at the gatherings.....  :sign0103:

I know for a fact that Rev/Jim/Troy and Jack will be there, heavily involved in the Bull S______g.  :campfire:

As a result, sometimes "it" gets a little deep......  :p

Ride safe, Ted

As a 20 year native of Kerrville, my favorite breakfast place is the Del Norte Restaurant on Jundtion Hwy .  THey have a buffet style breakfast that'll gitcha bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, biscuits (with or without gravy), as well as some breakfast taco fare. It's reasonable and hearty, but just one of a number of spots. Mary's Tacos and Taco to Go have great breakfast tacos as does Elaine's Table in Hunt.

Best hamburger in town?  Classics and Moore on hwy 16 on the South side of town.  End of story. Bring an appetite.

Best Mexican Food?  Getting tougher to choose here.  Mamacita's is very nice and has good food.  A little cheaper and very different atmosphere, but still real good eats is Acupulco REstaurant near the YO Hotel on 16 just down from the interstate.  In Ingram there is the Jalisco style Taqueria.  Also very good and a bargain price place to boot.  Los DOs Amigos in Centerpoint is OK too. 

Best Coffee?  Spirit Wind Java in Ingram.  I like the Texas Pecan.  Of course there's always that lesser known place, what's it called, oh yeah, Starbucks. 

If you want the best fried catfish evah... go to the Lakehouse Restaurant and tell Mark, the owner, you're my friend. On second thought, he knows me too well so leave me out of it.  ;)  We used to be fishin' buds back in the day.  He makes the best fried whisker fish goin'.  If you want the best Shrimp Dinner in town, folks will tell you all different places, but actually Mamacita's, the Mexican food joint, has the best Shrimp dinner.  Don't tell Mark I said that either.

Billy Gene's Restaurant is also very good all around grub place.  Lots of locals eat there. 

Hill Country Cafe is another... Mike's wife (they are the owners), and the other waitresses think they are running a Hooters I think.  Think" Daisy Dukes" attire when the weather is warm.  Food is decent. Lots of animal heads on the walls. 

I hear the RoadKill Grille is closed now. Shame dat.
Joe's Jefferson Street Cafe is no longer around either.  Used to be incredible food and deserts about four blocks from the courthouse and Presbyterian Church.

The Save Inn Restaurant is another decent greasy spoon type joint.  Good breakfast, decent lunch specials.

Lots of folks like the ol' standards like Cracker Barrel and Chili's and those are certainly choices. THere's also Fudruckers, Wendy's, Culvers, Taco Bell, Taco Casa, Jack-in-the-Box, two Subways, at least three or four McDonald's if there's still one in WalMart, and a host of other places.  If you ride 1320 out past Mo-Ranch, you can swing in there and if the Wagon Wheel Cafe is open you can grab a good burger or sandwich.  Oh yeah, the Hunt Rock Cafe is also a great burger joint.  Be prepared to wait a while. They're busy.

BBQ?  Bill's and Buzzie's are the two most known and IMHO best.  I like Buzzie's myself. Tomayto - Tomahto almost.

No need to go hungry in Kerr County.  Tons more places, but that's enough for now.

connie_rider said:
Also, be sure to bring "tall" boots to wear for the evening gatherings.    :a102:

There is always a lot of bench racing, lie swapping, and Bull S______g going on at the gatherings.....  :sign0103:

I know for a fact that Rev/Jim/Troy and Jack will be there, heavily involved in the Bull S______g.  :campfire:

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, I resemble that remark !!

Jim Snyder said:
connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, I resemble that remark !!
I'll vouch for Jim... he DOES resemble that remark... and that's a fine lookin' remark too I'd say.  :beerchug:

Hey Max Warrior,

Butch and I are riding down from DFW on Friday morning.  You are welcome to join us.  Since Butch lives far east (Mesquite) and I am northwest (Trophy Club), we're meeting in Cleburne at 09:30.  Hwy 281 is our main route.  You and others from DFW are welcome to ride down with us.  I've sent you a PM.  Anyone else? :)

Based on Rev's reply #69, I will definitely be following HIM around!  I don't know if it'll be on Stink (being discussed in the general forum) or maybe on the Interceptor, but I like the motto from my old bicycling team:  Live to Ride.  Ride to Eat. 

Rev Ryder said:
As a 20 year native of Kerrville, my favorite breakfast place is the Del Norte Restaurant on Jundtion Hwy .  THey have a buffet style breakfast that'll gitcha bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, biscuits (with or without gravy), as well as some breakfast taco fare. It's reasonable and hearty, but just one of a number of spots. Mary's Tacos and Taco to Go have great breakfast tacos as does Elaine's Table in Hunt.
  <snip>

I hope we get a chance to do a little riding over our stay as well.. sounds like Rev Rider has three major activities... riding.. eating and wrenching on the bike...... not necessarily in that order.....

Call me anything you want except late to eat.  THe wife has me on a diet now cuz my laptop computer's getting hard to reach... if I can find it  And Connie's slightly forward stance now resembles lying down.  THere's a reason I NEED a turbo.  :103:    :)

With all the talk about disaster prep and food storage, maybe you're going about it all wrong???    :hee20hee20hee:

Jack Cavuoti said:
  I hope we get a chance to do a little riding over our stay as well.. sounds like Rev Rider has three major activities... riding.. eating and wrenching on the bike...... not necessarily in that order.....

All the bolts on Rev's turbo have been in and out so many times they have stretch marks on them. (insert rim shot)
I sure hope we don't have any parking lot wrench sessions like we normally do. Come to think of it
I still haven't got that ride on the turbo yet. Maybe third time will be the charm. The first time it wouldn't run right and the second time it crashed before it got to the River Inn.

It ain't a COG-SC event until someone's fairing comes off! (Or the Turbo strands someone...Ted, pick up a white courtesy phone...Ted...) ;D

I am so going to miss y'all. Wildflower is the best meet ever.  :(

SJ said:
Hey Max Warrior,

Butch and I are riding down from DFW on Friday morning.  You are welcome to join us.  Since Butch lives far east (Mesquite) and I am northwest (Trophy Club), we're meeting in Cleburne at 09:30.  Hwy 281 is our main route.  You and others from DFW are welcome to ride down with us.  I've sent you a PM.  Anyone else? :)

Instead of 281 , maybe 174 to 22 - Hamilton
FM 2005 from Hamilton to Goldwaithe and then TX 16 the rest of the way

Lunch at Lairds in Llano!!!!!!!

Lot less traffic and nice flowers. This is the route I have found that has some nice backroads and avoids the lights along US 281.

I am OK with the 0930 in Cleburne.

Craig

I sure hope we don't have any parking lot wrench sessions like we normally do. Come to think of it
I still haven't got that ride on the turbo yet. Maybe third time will be the charm. The first time it wouldn't run right and the second time it crashed before it got to the River Inn. 
Jim Snyder

Err Jim, I sure hope you get your ride on the Turbo. I have 1 thing to suggest if you do.....
Bring comfortable walking shoes!!
  :85: :57: :08: :72: :03: :41: :29:

Leaving from Houston Friday morning. Ya'll watch for me.
I'll be the guy with the Red Connie  (on a Trailer) driving in on I-10!
Yes, i know I'm a sinner.

Ride safe, Ted

Rev Ryder said:
Call me anything you want except late to eat.  THe wife has me on a diet now cuz my laptop computer's getting hard to reach... if I can find it  And Connie's slightly forward stance now resembles lying down.  THere's a reason I NEED a turbo.  :103:    :)

Well.....if you would have a salad after church instead of going to the Golden Trough :043:

gr33mAn

Well, the Turbo may not be lookin' very good these days (still multi colored since the 09 crash as I haven't had taken time to fix her up).  And the last REAL ride she went on was the whirlwind blast to Amarillo, OK, DFW, and then home that again saw her on her side in the mud (still need to replace that antler and straighten the hwy peg).  And her tune is still got a couple of little glitches in the accel bins.  And she does need to have the new intake clamps put on that I've had sitting on the shelf for months for her cuz she's losing boost above 8 psi... but I promise you this that even if you deem her unfit to ride, she'll likely outrun every other bike present even in her less than pristeen state. 

As Will Sonnett used to say... "No brag, jez fact." 
qdraw.gif

kv5e said:
Rev Ryder said:

Well.....if you would have a salad after church instead of going to the Golden Trough :043:

gr33mAn
I love salad...
Potato Salad
Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Shrimp Salad
Jello Salad
Crab Meat Salad
Egg Salad
Taco Salad
No Tuna Salad please
Beefsteak Salad

you get the picture.  I will even eat lettuce on a nice juicy burger.  :)

Rev Ryder said:
  And she does need to have the new intake clamps put on that I've had sitting on the shelf for months for her cuz she's losing boost above 8 psi... but I promise you this that even if you deem her unfit to ride, she'll likely outrun every other bike present even in her less than pristeen state. 

qdraw.gif

I'll testify to that.....Chuck and I played tag on TX 39 between the Hunt store and the River Inn.

I was on my C14 and had to spool up hard to keep up........and the Turbo actually ran the whole way! :nananana:

kv5e said:
Rev Ryder said:
  And she does need to have the new intake clamps put on that I've had sitting on the shelf for months for her cuz she's losing boost above 8 psi... but I promise you this that even if you deem her unfit to ride, she'll likely outrun every other bike present even in her less than pristeen state. 

qdraw.gif

I'll testify to that.....Chuck and I played tag on TX 39 between the Hunt store and the River Inn.

I was on my C14 and had to spool up hard to keep up........and the Turbo actually ran the whole way! :nananana:

Good Gosh!!!
You mean you were following closely behind him??
arghhhhhhh.......  yer a brave man!!

Ya gotzzz to dodge all them parts that falls off.....
then ya have to dodge when Rev falls off.....

PS: Rev sed,,, but I promise you this that even if you deem her unfit to ride, she'll likely outrun every other bike present even in her less than pristeen state. 

Yah, I agree! I rode her last year at Wildflower....
It would definitely pass everyone (for the first 1/2 mile or so), then they all passed me back,,, when it broke..... (Laughing at me)

Rev, I see "it" is in the same fine state of repairs as usual.....

Jim plans to ride the Turbo. As usual. I (somehow) suspect your gonna hook up your "kill the bike engine at 1/2 mile button" for him...  You rotten  individual!!!

Ride safe, Ted

OK. WHo's gonna start the pool this year?

Jim's ride on the Turbo will go _______:
A:  nowhere
B: 100 feet
C: 1 mile
D: as far as he wants
E: further than he wants
F:  any combination of the above

Ted's last ride on the Turbo ___________.
A: is sooooo ancient history never to be repeated.
B: cured the Turbo of headshake and Houstonites.
C: has caused the Turbo need for continuing PTS counseling as well as the laying on of hands and annointing with dino oil during a complete and terrifying exorcism. (it has been a year since her last seizure, but I fear what behaviors Ted's presence might dredge up)
D: was his "next to last" ride on the Turbo.

Rev Ryder said:
OK. WHo's gonna start the pool this year?

Jim's ride on the Turbo will go _______:
A:  nowhere
B: 100 feet
C: 1 mile
D: as far as he wants
E: further than he wants
F:  any combination of the above

Ted's last ride on the Turbo ___________.
A: is sooooo ancient history never to be repeated.
B: cured the Turbo of headshake and Houstonites.
C: has caused the Turbo need for continuing PTS counseling as well as the laying on of hands and annointing with dino oil during a complete and terrifying exorcism. (it has been a year since her last seizure, but I fear what behaviors Ted's presence might dredge up)
D: was his "next to last" ride on the Turbo.

Jim's question "D"

Ted's question "C" and I am fasting and praying for the Turbo.

That ancient spirit of "trailering your bike" is present.  :character0029:

Craig

kv5e said:
Ted's question "C" and I am fasting and praying for the Turbo.

That ancient spirit of "trailering your bike" is present.  :character0029:

Craig

Thank you Craig.  We remain a people of hope.  :beerchug:

Jack Cavuoti said:
Sounds to me that "ALPHA" shouldn't leave the hanger without a wingman....

Jack, I think the Alpha Dawg has a worse reputation than she deserves.

In 2007, after graduating from seminary, I decided to turbo the Connie.  It was quite an adventure and I did it on the cheap not wanting to risk a lot of money if the project should be a bust.  However, it turned out OK and ran very well indeed.

SO, In 2008, having just gotten the turbo running pretty well and a new paint job on her, I took off for the Big Bend ride with my old racing buddy and wing rider Randy.  We were later leaving Kerrville than intended and were hotfooting it down Texas 1320 well into the triple digit zone when the turbo began to overheat and lose coolant.  WHile I was unaware of the problem for a bit, Randy was nearly forced off the road at speed when encountering a boatload of antifreeze in his GL1800's path.  I too was noticing that the back end was "loose' at 130 around a couple of sweepers and slowed to allow Randy to come back into view.  Then I stopped when he didn;t show.  That's when I realized I had lost all coolant and the engine was seriously hot and steamy.  Wen Randy showed, I tried to nurse her to a farmhouse for water, but it was too late... I had a rod rattling.  So she went back to the house and I grabbed the 98 model (Torch) for that trip.  WHen wildflower came around, I showed up with the broken bike on the trailer just to let a few people see that there really was a turbo Connie in the world.

In 2009, at the Big Bend Ride, the turbo lost an O-ring on the back water log and had to be trailered in and repaired in the motel parking lot.  No biggie, but it was a breakdown.  I had apparently pinched the O-ring on installation, but it had managed to last for months until that day.  SHe had no other problems there and home a total of around 1500 miles on that trip I suppose.  A few weeks later, on the Friday portion of the WIldflower, Ted gave her a whirl for a few minutes.  Now I had just ridden the bike there and had not had a single issue and the bike had run well to Big Bend and back.  But... Evil Eye Ted hops on and inside of a mile or two, she quits.  He gets her going again and makes it back to the River Inn and I tinkered with her, swapped out intake boots, etc. unable to diagnose the real problem.  Thinking the bike OK, he gets back on and takes off another direction and fails to return... the bike had again stranded him down the road a piece.  I arrived on site... poked and prodded looking for problems, found nothing, fired her right up and wheelied off into the sunset.

The next day, enroute from my house in Kerrville to the River Inn, I was being followed by Bearonabicycle.  Long story short, we collided and the bike was broken up and I was also injured, so neither of us participated in that ride.

2010, lots of plans to attend Wildflower though I had been called to El Campo, Texas some 250 miles away.  As the ride approached I was anxious to show off my new EFI I had built for the bike.  Another long story short, a friend called me two weeks out and asked me to officiate his wedding.  I did.  It was the same weekend of the WIdlfower Ride and so that ride was again messed up for me and I had already missed the Big Bend Ride.  However, I did ride the bike from EL Campo to Kerrville and did some riding in the area with folks on Friday and rode the bike the 250 miles back to El Campo like virtually every other time I ride... unescorted.

2011, No chance to go to Big Bend again.  But I show up at Wildflower with th EFI Turbo, since mama came and SHE said it was stupid to drive both vehicles, I had the bike in the back of my Tundra.  The only time I have EVER hauled a bike to a ride (oh the shame of shades of Tedness).  Anyway, the bike does well until the wife and I are riding through Camp Wood I believe, and Ted is at a gas stop next to the road.  We honked and waved and he started doing some maniacle gyrations and flailing his arms about and the bike died on the spot.  I could find nothing wrong and nothing had changed.  IN a minute she fired back up and we took off.  But she remained down on power and missing and running poorly.  We eventually stopped and a couple of others stopped to keep an eye on us while I tried to troubleshoot the problem.  Never found one.  But again, she started up and we rode the rest of the weekend without problems... in fact the rest of the year.

In October I rode her a couple of thousand miles around the state without incident other than falling off on a VERY muddy backroad in North Texas during a rare week of heavy rain. 

I can go out in the garage after a couple of months of sitting, and providing the battery isn;t dead, she'll fire up and go anywhere I want to without issue.  But let Ted get close and she goes into lockdown mode.  Something bad about that man she don't like.  :eek:

Jim has always been going to ride it, but either I wasnt there or he wasn;t or in 09 I got struck and crashed the day he was gonna ride it.

I personally think the poor gal has a somewhat undeserved reputation.  Sure, early on, learning the turbo deal I smoked a few pistons and then there was the day I fried her heading to Big Bend, but since then I have not had the head off.  And while the turbocharger is getting tired, she still runs pretty respectable even if it is probably down about 15 or 20 ponies from her best. She still does second gear power wheelies from a simple roll-on and for a portly gal with shaft drive, that ain't totally shabby.  SHe;s never been on a dyno and no one has ever helped to get the best tune on her.  I have to admit, she could run a lot better if I'd give her the time, but she's fun now and I have too many things to spend time doing besides slaving over a smoking laptop hooked up to her. 

Currently, she looks like hell.  THe front ZX14 fender that i had flamed is messed up, the black tank was removed and a green 98 model pressed into service as I converted to an in-tank fuel pump for the EFI and I didn;t want to mess up the better black tank (slightly dented from the lcrash in 09) if that didn;t pan out.  But it has panned out and the new ZX10R pump system works great.  So, she has a WIndsor Green fuel tank and black/truefire front fender.  SInce the main fairings were all broken in the 09 debacle, she has 04 dark blue/gray main and side fairings with no bellypan.  The side panels under the seat are from an 02 rattle canned black for a quick and dirty semi-match job (the red looked atrocious with the rest.  THe other rear plastics are black.  The bags are a bit tattered and the left antler is broken.  The old foam grips are also starting to go.  So, all in all, she needs some cosmetic attention which I hope to give her before the National and plan for that to include the new carbon fiber saddlebags.  Lord willing I will get all that done.

kv5e said:
SJ said:
Hey Max Warrior,

Lot less traffic and nice flowers. This is the route I have found that has some nice backroads and avoids the lights along US 281.

Craig

Good plan, Craig.  Let's plan to meet at the courthouse on the square in Cleburne and take the route you mentioned.  Perhaps grab a quick breakfast there at the square.

Ok, time for me to fess up.
Rev and I pick on one another so much that some of you may think I don't like Rev's Turbo or Rev.
I'm actually very impressed by the Turbo and the work he did to build it!
I don't think anyone else could have built the bike from scratch like he did!!

He's not getting a fair shake on us bad mouthing the bike about it breaking down.
I apologize....    :)

The truth of the matter is I'm jealous.
Ya see, I've been jealous of the Turbo ever since he stole the idea from me to build it.....  :a102:

Rev, (as of now) I take back 1/2 the Nasty things I've said about you and the Turbo for the past 3 years.  :)
But,,,, As far as the other 1/2,,, I meant every word of it!!!  :p    :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

Wildflower,,, here we come!!!!!  yahoooooooooooooooo    :motonoises: :beerchug:

SJ said:
kv5e said:
SJ said:
Hey Max Warrior,

Craig

Good plan, Craig.  Let's plan to meet at the courthouse on the square in Cleburne and take the route you mentioned.  Perhaps grab a quick breakfast there at the square.

Sounds good to me as well. There's another rider who might want to meet us in Llano for BBQ in the 12:30 0 1PM time frame so a quick breakfast/or earlier meeting time might be prudent.

Fred has sent a GPS route on a separate post ot side of the forum so I'll look at that tonight.

Craig

Here are the routes I usually take. It is a zipped file and should unpack as a gdb garmin Mapsource file. It has two routes in it.

Typically, the best flowers are north of Fredericksburg. Hwy 29 between Burnett and Llano is good, and so is 16 north of Llano.

I'm going to try a new BBQ place in Llano I've heard about (not Coopers) this year. I can't remember the name, but it is on the south side of town in what looks like a house.

Cherry Springs Road is a nice little cut through, but has a low water crossing on it, and I'm not sure if it will be passable this year or not. I marked it on the file.

Be careful on the County Roads (CR207) on the eastern side of my route around Lampassas. Sometimes the corners can have some gravel washed up on them if it's rained recently.

Scott Johnson sent me an email looking to hook up with DFW folks for the ride down. I forwarded it to several of you.

If you do decided to take 287, watch out for Texas Highway Patrol.

Attachments

• WildFlower.zip
    68.2 KB · Views: 103
Fred,

That place on the south side of town is called Laird's, it is on the left side of the street heading south. Pamela and I have eaten there for years and like it better than Coopers.

Laird's Barbeque & Catering
1600 Ford Street, Llano, TX 78643
(325) 247-5234

The lot is gravel so a little caution there. Here's the coordinates:

30 44 32 N    98 40 33 W

Highly recommended for the FOOD, not as much claptrap as Coopers and definitely TOP SHELF BBQ!

Looks like we are meeting Scott, et al, in downtown Cleburne at 0900-0930.

Craig

Thanks, that's the place. We plan to eat lunch there whenever we roll through Llano. Maybe we'll see you there.

I had to make a small correction to the alternate route to force it to take hwy 152 out of Llano. The new file is attached.

Attachments

• WildFlower.zip
    69.1 KB · Views: 97