• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2013 National in and out planning thread NW

OMoaC

Hello NW group. As we all know half the fun of a rally is getting there and back. If you have any good route suggestions to get from the upper left coast forward them and we will try to get them on the National page for suggestions for other folks. Yes, I know this National is in the NW. Blame Collin, :) Cheers.
Route From Charlie G with an alternate suggested by Jim from Burlington WA to ID Falls.
http://goo.gl/maps/zEIkY

Old Man on a Connie said:
Hello NW group. As we all know half the fun of a rally is getting there and back. If you have any good route suggestions to get from the upper left coast forward them and we will try to get them on the National page for suggestions for other folks. Yes, I know this National is in the NW. Blame Collin, :) Cheers.

WE can help but......... :17:
And you are starting from where? AND how luch time do you have? AND what's your desired max daily mileage?

2linby said:
Old Man on a Connie said:

WE can help but......... :17:
And you are starting from where? AND how luch time do you have? AND what's your desired max daily mileage?
Your Choice Bob. You plan it, you post it, We'll throw it up there for others to see and decide whether they want to play. Iron butt or tourist lookey loo. :great:

ZG said:
:popcorncouple:

I'm heading there from Portland.
I'm still waiting for my badge ZG. You promised. What route? Straight across or some sight seeing?

Here is an option to Charlie's route. From Lewiston take 129 to Asotin-Anatone. Then it changes to 3 in Oregon. Take that to Enterprise. You get to ride the super fun Rattlesnake Grade. From Enterprise go to Joseph. Turn in Joseph and take the road to Imnaha. Turn off that road on to forest rd 39. It is a paved road through the forest with lots of twisties. Take the side road to the Hells Canyon overlook for a nice view. You will come out on hwy 86. Turn left and drop down to Oxbow and Brownlee Dams. Take Idaho 71 to Cambridge on Hwy 95. Turn left and head back north to New Meadows where you will take 55. It is a little longer that just going down 95 and 55, but it is a great ride. You are guaranteed to wear off any flat spot on your tires.

Check the link in the OP Jim. I think I got it but you lost me a bit in Imnaha. All I could find was NF4240 Hat point rd and Upper Imnaha rd following the river.

Highway maps might not show the forest service road by number. You head towards Imnaha. The fs rd 39 takes off where the Imnaha road comes to the creek. You  almost make a u-turn onto fs 39.

You can also do the route backward. Go to Baker and take 86 to Halfway. A few miles out of Halfway fs 39 takes off on the left.

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
Here is an option to Charlie's route. From Lewiston take 129 to Asotin-Anatone. Then it changes to 3 in Oregon. Take that to Enterprise. You get to ride the super fun Rattlesnake Grade. From Enterprise go to Joseph. Turn in Joseph and take the road to Imnaha. Turn off that road on to forest rd 39. It is a paved road through the forest with lots of twisties. Take the side road to the Hells Canyon overlook for a nice view. You will come out on hwy 86. Turn left and drop down to Oxbow and Brownlee Dams. Take Idaho 71 to Cambridge on Hwy 95. Turn left and head back north to New Meadows where you will take 55. It is a little longer that just going down 95 and 55, but it is a great ride. You are guaranteed to wear off any flat spot on your tires.

Geez Jim!  Quit giving away the cool roads!  ;)

I have a brother in Halfway So I will be heading out from Roseburg OR on 138 east to 97 north  to 26 east to 7 east to 86 eastt then back on 86 east to 71 south to 95 north then 55 south then NFS 24 east to 21 east to 75 south then 20 east to Idaho Falls.  974 miles of there abouts.

2linby said:
Jim_Sherman_ID said:

Geez Jim!  Quit giving away the cool roads!  ;)

I have a brother in Halfway So I will be heading out from Roseburg OR on 138 east to 97 north  to 26 east to 7 east to 86 eastt then back on 86 east to 71 south to 95 north then 55 south then NFS 24 east to 21 east to 75 south then 20 east to Idaho Falls.  974 miles of there abouts.
You guy's are killin' me.

If any of you guys are dual sport riders there are even better ways to get there. You can travel some of the most scenic country anywhere.

Let me know if any of you are interested and I can give you some routes.