• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2013 national routes in and out and general planning thread SC

OMoaC

Hello SC folks. We are working on a page to add to the National Rally for routes in and out oF ID Falls. If you have suggestions please post them up here and we will try to get them added to the growing list of route suggestions. Please also use this thread as a general planning guide so that your fellow COGGERS know what everyone else is doing and may make arrangements for meet ups. Thanks. :)

I hope to trailer from Austin to my cousin's place in northern Co. and then maybe ride in from there.  I have made the trip between Austin and Fort Collins area before but there was not much time to enjoy along the way.  Ahhh Amarillo in August.  I can smell it now.

This is what I did for speed in getting there.  Not for enjoyment of the twisties.
183 out of Austin to Abilene, 83 to Childress, 287 to Amarillo(spend the night) 87 from Amarillo to Raton, Nm.  then I25 all the way up to Ft. Collins.

I'm planning on leaving the DFW area on Thursday 8/22/13 for Santa Rosa NM; Montrose CO. on Friday; Kemmerer WY. on Saturday; and then on into Idaho Falls on Sunday.  Route to the Falls link

I've purchased my new PR3s at Action Motorsports in Idaho Falls and made an installation appointment for Tues. morning the 27th. It seemed like a good time to have it done since my C14 is not going on the dual sport ride.
Of course, while I'm tappin' my toes and readin' motorcycle magazines at the dealer, it pretty much guarantees it to be the best day of weather. The rest of you should tackle your longest planned ride for that day. You can thank me later after your ride.

Checking out of the Falls on Saturday morning the 31st and riding through Yellowstone to do the Beartooth Hwy and then the Chief Joseph Hwy both with turn arounds to do them in both directions and then back through Yellowstone to stay the night in West Yellowstone MT.  Messin' 'round in Yellowstone route

The next day see what's left to see in Yellowstone and Tetons then down to Riverton WY. for Sunday night. Then on to Taos NM on Monday and arrive home in Fort Worth on Tues the 3rd. Route Home Link

Hopefully I've left plenty of time to take pictures and drink coffee, looks like beautiful country when I'm north of Santa Rosa.

updated edit 8-19-13

Haven't started planning a route.
But we'll (probably) be leaving Houston with Bob Wilde, and maybe Jack C, on Thurs the 22nd.
Plan is to arrive in Idaho Falls on Sun...

In our case we'll also be trailering, but at least we're goin'.

Let the flames begin!!!    :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted

That is a pretty good idea about the phone numbers. I am thinking of leaving Saturday and Spending the first night in Raton and then heading up through Colorado. I can't decide whether to go up Hwy 9 through Breckenridge like I did for the Frisco National and enjoyed it or try to do the million dollar highway that I have never ridden. Then after the National I will spend about 3 days in Yellowstone and Tetons Parks. 

Plan to leave DFW on Friday 23rd or Saturday 24th the very latest.

Would like to take the scenic route there and back - question is which one?

Should have at least 3 or 4 folks heading from DFW

We're also going to Yellowstone after the National.
We plan to raft some the Yellowstone Sat AM, and ride Chief Joseph Highway on Sat. afternoon (Aug 31)
If ya'll are there,, mebbe ya can ride them with us?
Sunday we have managed to get a room in the Old Faithful Inn. So we intend to stay there and rest,,,, then head for Houston on Monday.
If plans work out we'll stop on the way (home) in Colorado and see The Bishops castle...

Ride safe, Ted

Arjay2, I'm leaving from N/E Oklahoma to head up there, but not sure which way I'm heading.  Might tag along or meet up with someone(or anyone)  somewhere along the route, if possible.

Jim

As I posted earlier, here is my route:  http://goo.gl/maps/jNHkI http://goo.gl/maps/WppkI

So I'll be over-nighting in Santa Rosa NM; Silverton CO; and Manilla UT. I have not made
any hotel reservations as yet accept for the Falls.
I'm not looking for riding partners, but I'm
certainly not rejecting any either. It's just that I ride slower than most ( I'll speed, but not by much
{said the guy that earned a light flash from the rangers in Big Bend NP during a COG ride :-[ ::) })
and I stop for photos on a whim and I don't want my riding style to pain others.
I'm certainly open to meet ups along the way if they are to be had. I'm leaving at least a day earlier than
most, Thursday the 22nd. My route back has not been planned and may not be until I'm in Idaho and know
more about the weather. Perhaps south through Utah via Capitol Reef and Monument Valley. Then again I may leave
Idaho and head for Red Lodge Montana for a night before heading home.
  See updated earlier post.

connie_rider said:
We plan to raft some the Yellowstone Sat AM, and ride Chief Joseph Highway on Sat. afternoon (Aug 31)
Ride safe, Ted

The Chief Joseph Hwy ride sounds nice, I might be waiting for you with a towel in hand at the take out point.  :)

Still figuring out the route up Jim. I like Martys route but plan on leaving Friday at this point. Will follow up - Adios

soonerone said:
Arjay2, I'm leaving from N/E Oklahoma to head up there, but not sure which way I'm heading.  Might tag along or meet up with someone(or anyone)  somewhere along the route, if possible.

Jim

connie_rider said:
Sunday we have managed to get a room in the Old Faithful Inn. So we intend to stay there and rest,,,, then head for Houston on Monday.
If plans work out we'll stop on the way (home) in Colorado and see The Bishops castle...

Ride safe, Ted

Our plan has chanaged a bit.
Because of the distance from Idaho Falls to Chief Joseph Hwy, we'll probably have to skip Rafting in the Yellowstone.
This will give us more time to see Chief Joseph and Beartooth Pass.
Will be at the Old Faithful Inn on Sunday night.
Then down thru Grand Tetons on Monday...
If anyone wants to ride with us after the national, let me know.

Ride safe, Ted