• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2013 rally recon trip

OMoaC

Last day Elko to Ely to Pioche to Caliente to home. A little excitement in a sweet canyon between Elko and Ely. Due to Bert's skill sets he found a soft spot to land and all was OK. :beerchug: Splitting storm clouds all the way into the worst storm vegas has seen in 12 years. Never caught a drop. Down the 93/95/515 Jim was the first to peel off. 3 became 2. Bert and Ingrid were the next and 2 became 1 as it started 5 days previous. A great ride and great folks, facing adversity and new roads and adventures. It was truly a pleasure to meet and ride with all of you. Just 1 question. When we gonna do it again?

Attachments

• Dodging storms south of Ely NV1.JPG
    Dodging storms south of Ely NV1.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 112
Planning a trip up fron Hendo NV, 4 corners, up through CO and flaming gorge, a corner of WY into ID Falls, back through mountain home ID, Elko NV and home. Anyone want to join up? :motonoises:

Hey Not,

I'm fairly confident at this point that we will be hotelin' it this trip.  I'm outta Salt Lake but will be meeting OldMan and Postrucks in Cortez, hanging for the night in Vernal as well as the trip to the north end of Bear Lake.  That's where I jump off.  Love to have you along if you can swing it!

Mike B

Yup. What he said. :motonoises: And anybody that just wants to jump in for a bit is more than welcome.

Another "emergency" has come up at work - I'll be lucky if I get to take already planned vacations. Y'all be safe.
Postrucks - if you're in the SLC area and like middle-eastern food, try Layla's - owned by the family of a friend.

Was thinking I might be able to meet you over thereabouts for lunch...might be able to make Durango Fri night...

That would be cool. You know better than me. What's the ride time between Cortez and Montrose? Were in Cortez Fri night and Vernal UT Sat. If we can hook up in Durango it looks about 60 miles? from Cortez?

Old Man on a Connie said:
That would be cool. You know better than me. What's the ride time between Cortez and Montrose? Were in Cortez Fri night and Vernal UT Sat. If we can hook up in Durango it looks about 60 miles? from Cortez?

OK...meet you in Durango Sat AM...have to figure out where, though...I should be there early enough Fri to pick a meeting spot for Sat...you gonna have breakfast in Cortez?  I will be able to ride the Million Dollar Highway with you from Durango to Montrose...will cut off on Hwy 50 towards Gunnison in Montrose...riding a red C10...

Planning a trip up fron Hendo NV, 4 corners, up through CO and flaming gorge, a corner of WY into ID Falls, back through mountain home ID, Elko NV and home. Anyone want to join up? :motonoises:

Have you considered Scenic Byway 65 between Delta, CO. and Grand Junction, CO.?  Maybe some of the Colorado guys can chime in about it.
I'm going to be riding some of your Day 2 route (opposite direction) Sept. 21-23 from Salt Lake.  :motonoises:

ddialogue said:

Have you considered Scenic Byway 65 between Delta, CO. and Grand Junction, CO.?  Maybe some of the Colorado guys can chime in about it.
I'm going to be riding some of your Day 2 route (opposite direction) Sept. 21-23 from Salt Lake.  :motonoises:

That IS a really nice ride!

CRocker said:
ddialogue said:

That IS a really nice ride!
Got your PM C. Just got back into town. I'll check with the group for Bfast in Durango if you'll be there Fri. Night. I'll send over my digits. DD, thanks for the tip. Will put it in the memory bank for Rally Recon part duex coming in late spring/early summer 2013. Shout out to MikeB. He's close to Salt lake and will be jumping in in Cortez on Fri.

Gentlemen,

First off, CRocker...glad you're going to be able to jump on for a stretch.  Great to have you and look forward to meeting you!

DD, thanks for the tip! That does indeed look like a great road.  I live in South Jordan which is a suburb just south of SLC proper.  Are you going to be spending any time here in SLC?  Are you from the area?

Old Man, our second day is 354 miles and to take HW65 instead of HW50 to Grand Junction only adds 43, albeit a slower 43.  So, I'm up for it if you and Postrucks are.

This looks to be turning into a great ride! 

The anticipation is killin' me. :-/
Mike

MikeB said:
Gentlemen,

First off, CRocker...glad you're going to be able to jump on for a stretch.  Great to have you and look forward to meeting you!

DD, thanks for the tip! That does indeed look like a great road.  I live in South Jordan which is a suburb just south of SLC proper.  Are you going to be spending any time here in SLC?  Are you from the area?

Old Man, our second day is 354 miles and to take HW65 instead of HW50 to Grand Junction only adds 43, albeit a slower 43.  So, I'm up for it if you and Postrucks are.

This looks to be turning into a great ride! 

The anticipation is killin' me. :-/
Mike
That does look purty. Lets dance.

MikeB said:

PM sent.  I don't want to hijack this thread!  :beerchug:

Rusty said:
MikeB said:
Hey Mark,

Can I get an update route link please?

That is a great route and ride!! Been on many parts of that trip and I am very envious! Love to go, but need to work. Have fun and ride safe!!  :motonoises: 

Thanks,
Mike
Ask and yee shall receive.
http://goo.gl/maps/uZE0
C U soon Rusty. I still have you down for the Cedar City stay over for the rally.

:)

I have two solid breakfast referrals in Durango...Oscar's Cafe...and CJ's Diner...my buddy said he thought Oscar's only takes cash...

BTW...I think you'll see plenty of this kind of stuff on your ride...pic taken today in Rocky Mountain National Park...

Attachments

• RMNP Sep 20124 003.jpg
    RMNP Sep 20124 003.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 97
CRocker said:
I have two solid breakfast referrals in Durango...Oscar's Cafe...and CJ's Diner...my buddy said he thought Oscar's only takes cash...

BTW...I think you'll see plenty of this kind of stuff on your ride...pic taken today in Rocky Mountain National Park...
Now yer just rubbin' it in. :))

CRocker said:

Yep...

CRocker said:
CRocker said:

Yep...

You Dog. You ever get to Vegas I can show you some real purty rocks. Different sizes too! You pick the spot, send me the address and we'll meet you there and blame the limp bacon on you. Last one up from the table get's the check. :)

Have a great trip, fellas!  :motonoises:

What a great day of riding!  It was nice to meet all of you!  Oscar's was a great choice for breakfast!  I had a fantastic time riding the "Million Dollar Highway" with you...and, as promised, here are pics...sorry I didn't get them posted last night...got home about 11pm...the ride from Montrose to Gunnison was great...but, from there on, it was windy (20mph), cold (54f), and dark along the way...

Attachments

• Durango Ride Sept 2012 002.jpg
    Durango Ride Sept 2012 002.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Durango Ride Sept 2012 007.jpg
    Durango Ride Sept 2012 007.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Durango Ride Sept 2012 004.jpg
    Durango Ride Sept 2012 004.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Durango Ride Sept 2012 001.jpg
    Durango Ride Sept 2012 001.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 138
Great ride Brad. Your a hoot. Truly look forward to next time. Thx for the locals only special :beerchug:

Old Man...I didn't look real close at the pics...Had you actually caught up to the rest of us so you could be in any of these pics?  :rotflmao: 

Seriously...it was great getting to meet you guys (and girl!) who made the long ride to get here!  Hope all is good on the rest of your ride...thanks for letting me tag along on that stretch.  :beerchug:

CRocker said:
Old Man...I didn't look real close at the pics...Had you actually caught up to the rest of us so you could be in any of these pics?  :rotflmao: 

Seriously...it was great getting to meet you guys (and girl!) who made the long ride to get here!  Hope all is good on the rest of your ride...thanks for letting me tag along on that stretch.  :beerchug:

Hey CRocker (aka...OldER Man on a Connie),  ;D

Great to meet you. Enjoyed riding Colorado yet again. Amazing place, as always. Thanks for being such a great Host and Guide! If you ever make it out Utah way, ping me and I can return the favor.  Try to cut back on the crack though huh?  Otherwise, we're going to have to put together an intervention ride....hey wait....on second thought, have at it!!!! 

Mike

CRocker said:

I have video!

Just rolled into Mi Casa in Hendertucky NV about 8:30 tonight. As far as I know everybody made it home safe and sound. I'll post up some pics, vids and ride report after an appropriate time for decompression. It was a great ride and a great turn out. Thanks to all that jumped in, Shared routes, knowledge, skills, advice, laughs and help. Especially to the gang of 3 (bikes) that started out here and ended up here. :beerchug:

Day 1 Hendertucky to Cortez via rt 66, Kingman AZ, Seligman AZ, Flagstaff AZ. Breakfast in Kingman. Rt 66 between Kingman and Seligman is sweet. Forrest Gump sideways rain on the west side of Flaggstaff. 10 miles of rain in 2 miles of road coming in sideways. Ran through a cloud of bee's but cleared the way for Bert, Ingrid and Jim. I'm a giver. Aggresive day. Rolled into Cortez and hooked up with Mike B. 3 became 4.

Attachments

• 100_0695.JPG
    100_0695.JPG
    325.7 KB · Views: 98
Day 2. 4 head out from Cortez to Durango for Bfast and a meet up with Crocker. 4 becomes 5. Great Bfast and great local guide from Crocker up the million dollar hwy. Crocker jumped out in Montrose and 5 became 4. On into Vernal UT after a meet and greet with a local CO. LEO and a donation to the donut fund into Vernal where 4 became 6. Another long day filled with awesome vistas, awesome roads, awesome companions.......well except that donation. Any one wanna kick in to support the fund? Hey, I took the hit.

Attachments

• 100_0698.JPG
    100_0698.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 94
Well, no takers on the donation plea. Vernal UT to Id Falls via flaming gorge (eastside) and Bear lake (westside) up into Windyoming and over to Id falls. Hooked up with Keith Collins Nowest AAD for Wyoming. We used to race district 37 around the same time. Swapped stories about bikini checks and Checkers races and how the BLM screwed us blue. Met a lone connie C14 at the hotel in Vernal. Guy from Bulgaria I call Vic because I can't pronounce his name. He jumped in with us to ID falls and was a welcome addition. Did I mention Keith was on a BMW? Blasphemy I say! Beautiful day into Bear lake where Mike B jumped out and headed home to SLC. Raspberry shakes and peanut brittle rest stop. 6 became 5. Into ID falls and a great nights sleep. Nice rooms, great resturant/bar, Beautiful views. Last stop before heading in noticed a drip/drop from Berts final drive on his C10. Uh OH. Had us all checking our finals.

Attachments

• eastside flamming gorge.GIF
    eastside flamming gorge.GIF
    314 KB · Views: 110
That's just wrong!  Why won't you let Bert park with you?  :rotflmao:

As for the donation...I'll buy your b-fast at Oscar's next time!

CRocker said:
That's just wrong!  Why won't you let Bert park with you?  :rotflmao:

As for the donation...I'll buy your b-fast at Oscar's next time!
We didn't know if the drippy final was contagious or not. Your on Brad. I'll take 1 of everything with a take home bag and a large glass of milk please. :) Uploading Vid now.

CRocker said:

For my Buddy Brad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4yedQEJptI&feature=plcp

Up in the morning and packed up. Vic heads up north to play on Lolo pass, Keith heads home through yellowstone and 5 becomes 3 again. We take Bert's C10 down to the local shop to have the final dripdrop checked. Action Motorsports in ID Falls. Nice big shop. Freindly folks. Explained the situation and they rolled Berts bike right into the sevice bay. No parts but can have them there next day. Checked how much was lost, just a bit, so hit the auto zone for some oil, funnel, wrench and towels and watched it the rest of the way home. Got on the road through Craters of the moon, Arco and Shoshone down to Elko NV. We split up in Shoshone, Bert and Ingrid headed down the 93 to make time. Jim and I decided to take the scenic route down from Mountain Home to Elko via the 51/225. Nice road. Everybody got into elko Monday night with big storms threatening.

Attachments

• 100_0708.JPG
    100_0708.JPG
    330.5 KB · Views: 105
Last day Elko to Ely to Pioche to Caliente to home. A little excitement in a sweet canyon between Elko and Ely. Due to Bert's skill sets he found a soft spot to land and all was OK. :beerchug: Splitting storm clouds all the way into the worst storm vegas has seen in 12 years. Never caught a drop. Down the 93/95/515 Jim was the first to peel off. 3 became 2. Bert and Ingrid were the next and 2 became 1 as it started 5 days previous. A great ride and great folks, facing adversity and new roads and adventures. It was truly a pleasure to meet and ride with all of you. Just 1 question. When we gonna do it again?

"« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2006, 01:50:56 PM »"

Just how fast did you ride in order to get back on Jan 9th, 2006?  :motonoises: