• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2016 Circuit of the Americas MotoGP

DobberDoo

Tricycle
Hi all!
Well Im planning a trip to Austin TX  in April for the Moto GP event. It will be my first time at COTA, and first time at a Moto GP race!
Have any of you folks attended in previous years? Any words of advice, caution?

Good Tickets are a tad pricey, so if anyone knows of promo codes, or a better way to buy, please speak up!

Lewis,

I haven't been to COTA but did attend M otoGP in Indy and advise bringing ear protection as
the bikes are LOUD. COTA seems more open so the noise level might not be as bad as Indy
but always think safety first. A few guys have been to COTA so hopefully they will pipe in
with answers to specifics about the COTA experience. Enjoy the show!  :motonoises:

We (myself, wife, son and daughter.....all riders!) have been to every MotoGP at COTA so far.  It's a fantastic circuit, world class in every respect, and you'll have a great time.  We prefer to buy the General Admission tickets and walk around to get several different perspectives rather than limit ourselves to a grandstand location (plus those GS tickets can get pricey!).

Best view, IMO, are on the outside of the track along the T2, T3/4/5 section as well as down at the far end of the track at T10 and T11.  More passing action there.  We've also spent a little time in the "grand plaza" area between T16 and T19.  They've got great video boards and an audio feed all around the track, but for some reason, they've never turned the board at T11 on during the bike races.

Like any circuit, plan on paying a fortune for food and drink.  Oh, and if you're photo/video inclined, they're picky about "no video cameras and no tripods".  My son had no problem bringing in his Canon 5D and a monopod, though.

My son lives in Austin (UT student).  We are planning to attend on Saturday for sure and maybe Sunday.
A couple of questions:
1. Do they allow folding chairs for general admission folks.
2. Is there enough racing to see on Saturday or should I plan to attend on Sunday too.

Thanks

My wife and I attended a few years ago and sat in reserved seats (turn 15, as I recall). If I go again I will buy general admission seats. You can see more of the race sitting on grass if you pick the right location. You can figure out your favorite spot during the practice sessions. Also, with general admission if you find yourself next to annoying people you can get up and move, unlike the case with reserved seats.

kkja13 said:
My son lives in Austin (UT student).  We are planning to attend on Saturday for sure and maybe Sunday.
A couple of questions:
1. Do they allow folding chairs for general admission folks.
2. Is there enough racing to see on Saturday or should I plan to attend on Sunday too.

Thanks
Last time we went we bought those back pack chairs and packed in a small umbrella and water... on our backs.  It was easiest time I ever had getting stuff to the track.

My adult sons and I went on Saturday.  We all had backpacks with water bottles and we also brought those padded stadium seat things and attached them to our backpacks.  Simple!  We used the seat pads on the ground when visiting the remote turns like 7 & 10.  Then later in the day we snuck into the stadium seating at turn 15.  Great day, you don't get to see actual MotoGP class head to head racing but you do get to see them all on the track together running hard for qualifying positions in 2 sessions.  Then late in the day there were 2 actual races for the American series.  Super Sport (600cc) modded bikes, and Super Bike (1000cc) modded bikes.  Excellent racing in these classes.  Will go back next year, probably Sunday too!

They also had an AMA flat track race Saturday night off site but nearby.  We will go to that next year.

By far the best thing to go to is the infield area where the manufactures are displaying their products.  It is the best place to go to sit on a bike from just about every major brand. Including Ducati, HD, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawi, Honda, Aprilla, MotoGuzzi, etc.  Very welcoming area, and not too busy on Saturday.

We had a great day!

Yep, was a great time! My first trip there, so was a bit of a scouting year.
I had general admin tickets, so this is what I experienced.
As, stated above, Saturday is a bit slower, so its easier to see the track from the ground on one of the grassy hills if you have general admin tics. Qualifying is fun to watch, and Moto America has races on that day. Sunday  is much more busy, so in the future i will either buy stadium seating, or get there super early to get a good spot. Seeing over the person in front of you is a bit of a challenge, especially at 5'6", and most of the time during the race, the fans are on their feet. I missed the Pedrosa taking out Doviziozo at turn 1 where I was standing.  :??:

I wanted to roam around a bit, so i walked from turn 1, over to 12, which is quite a hike! I did take in a folding camp chair, but lugging it around was no fun if you want to venture from place to place on the track. http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/maps

Things to bring/not bring
Water Bottles - OK (UNOPENED) They made me throw out an opened bottle going into the track
Folding Chairs - OK
Coolers - NOT OK
Umbrellas are ok, but not large "golf type" (says the guidelines, I did see a few big VR46 umbrellas)  :mad:
http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/prohibited-items