• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2016 Hunt for Red October

chill

Training Wheels
I know its still a couple months off, but I'm looking to schedule time off from work. Have dates been set for this years hunt?

Please take the time to officially sign up for this event.  If you are having trouble signing up please send me a PM and I can help you through it or sign you up.

Roger Dodger said:
I have a room.  Anybody wanna share it?  :great:
I'll be your roomie again, get a second floor room. The ceiling between floors is like a drum and you get to hear every step from the occupants.

22nd Annual Hunt for Red October (Oct. 7-9) [WI]

The Hunt continues its wonderful tradition as the last major ride for the North Central region. Once again, for the 22nd annual running of this popular event, we’re including a third riding day for those that can join us on Friday at the Don Q Inn in Dodgeville, WI.

We’ll still meet for lunch (Noonish) on Saturday at the Sparta Family Restaurant at the intersection of I-90 and Highway 27 in Sparta, so that those who can’t break away on Friday will be able to meet the rest of the group and then ride a variety of great southwestern Wisconsin roads to Dodgeville as usual.

Dinner on Saturday night will again be at Barn 23 Bar & Restaurant next door to “ride central” at the Don Q Inn. The Don Q Inn generally sets aside about 25 rooms for us at a special rate but will only hold them till September 10, so get your reservations in early.

Saturday night dinner costs and payment are still to be determined.  Additional information regarding group rides to Sparta on Saturday morning forthcoming.  Check back!

Delaine and I are in. Yup, riding the Hunt 2 up. It's a first for me. Probably will be a bit more relaxed riding style compared to the normal ride intensity.

I'll be riding with the slower and steady group. It's good to break this up into smaller groups based on acceptable pucker factors. Hopefully there will be no pavement to gravel at 60 MPH sections.

Room reservations are made. If you haven't reserved your room yet, get on it. The Don Q is booking up fast. Don't miss out on this "classic" location.

Going to see if we can add a little drama to this years HFRO

This is going to be our ride

20160626_194729-M.jpg

Looking forward to this years hunt. This will be my 5th time making this event but the first time im taking in the whole weekend experience. Previous years have all been day trips. I have a question for anyone who may be leading a group from Dodgeville to Sparta and back. My son is accompanying me on his sport bike which has a range of 100 miles. I would assume there will be rest stops along the way, might one of those stops be nears a gas station? See you all Friday

Craig

Meh.  Really wanted to do this ride again this year, but I have to be at a wedding in the Detroit area that Friday, which kaboshes the entire weekend.

But, I'm agonna do it anyway....but the next weekend. Solo.  Enjoyed those alphabet roads so much, have to get back there.

I'm registered and I have a +1, but couldn't figure out how to do it in the system.

I'll be riding the goldwing this year and we'll be camping at gov. dodge state park in the time out. See everyone at Don Q friday evening.

shoot, rooms all sold out.  :-[
was thinking of just saturday night,  on the waiting list now

DOH !!!!  :-[ :-[

oh well, could always do a day ride

JS_racer said:

The House on the Rock Inn is 0.3 miles away,  608 935-3711, easy walk

LSGiant said:
JS_racer said:

The House on the Rock Inn is 0.3 miles away,  608 935-3711, easy walk

thanks for the thought, online shows no available room,
i'll see how the Don Q shakes out.

2fast said:
Maybe somebody has a room with spare space??

I am willing to share my reservation for Saturday night.

I am going on Saturday only. 

Matt

contact me via 414 three six seven nince sev3n tree f1ve  (You have to be able to figure out my 'code' to reach me)

JS_racer said:

did you specifically say you were with the cog group? last 2 years I was able to get a room for the weekend on Friday night even though they said they were booked when I called. They told me last year they hold near everything for us even after our "dead line" but have to mention COG when calling.

man working, i shot you a text yesterday, i'll try calling today, thank you

i did mention the cog, but i will call again today, just so they are sure i am sure. lol  thanks for the thought of that

Sharon Miller and myself, Jim Polk registered online, another friend Zach Beske will be along.  Unfortunately none of us
will be able to stay for the banquet.

all good now for saturday !!!
thinking of heading to sparta,

might be blue by the time i get there, lol. Not sure i'll have time to hook up my electrics by then. damn new bikes.  :D
gps is mounted, and somehow able to charge, so that part is good.

see you all sometime saturday  :beerchug:

JS_racer said:

i did mention the cog, but i will call again today, just so they are sure i am sure. lol  thanks for the thought of that

Yes, I will have now Joel as a roommate to put a roof over his head on Saturday at the Don Q.

Glad to help out a fellow COGger.

ManWorkingHere said:
JS_racer said:

Yes, I will have now Joel as a roommate to put a roof over his head on Saturday at the Don Q.

Glad to help out a fellow COGger.

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:  Thanks very much !!!

Are there any plans for meeting Friday morning for the Friday crew departure or is everyone on their own? On prior rides, we have met at Perkins in Stillwater. If so, what time to meet and depart?

Cookie said:
Are there any plans for meeting Friday morning for the Friday crew departure or is everyone on their own? On prior rides, we have met at Perkins in Stillwater. If so, what time to meet and depart?
This slipped through the cracks, let's do the Perkins breakfast at 8:30 wheels rolling at 9:30

Sounds like a plan. Delaine and I will see you Friday morning. We are planning on making breakfast.

Tom, are you and the crew going to sparta saturday ??
missed you last year, would be nice to connect.  :great:

My wife and I will be up by 8:00 AM Saturday for breakfast. Staying over Saturday night. Bringing some Fireball along for after the ride," in case someone gets chilled". Looks like a light frost Saturday AM, but will be a beautiful sunshine filled day in the upper 50's/low 60's. Looking forward to talking to everyone about the PACKERS!

JS_racer said:
Tom, are you and the crew going to sparta saturday ??
missed you last year, would be nice to connect.  :great:
Hey Joel,
Not sure if we will make it "back up there" Saturday. We may just run one of Dave M's routes from Don Q Saturday.
For sure see ya at the Inn.... :beerchug:
Have a safe ride!

I'm more or less packed and ready to go  :motonoises: See whoever shows up at the Stillwater Perkins for breakfast. Looking cool but clear...hey that works for me.  ;)

The Hack is packed and ready. We hope to take off about 3:00 PM tomorrow.
Just to give everyone a feeling for how much of an adventure this might be. The bike is a 1979 Suzuki GS850G. It has I think around 30,000 some miles. It is mated to about the same vintage American Eagle side car. The two were paired earlier this summer.  I have replaced the fork seals, coated the fuel tank, replaced some fuel line, checked the moving and rotating components, and changed all the fluids and that is about all I have done. I have ridden it to work and back (about 100 miles) and Joane and I put on maybe 75 miles on a weekend getaway that we hauled the bike to.  It runs OK but not spectacular, burns a lot gas as it has to work pretty hard to pull the hack. It still weeps a little gas and has duct tape holding a few things together. What could go wrong :)

Really bummed I'm not coming.  Had a blast last year.  Was reminded last year how much fun Chicago traffic is !!  :-[  Came home on the Lake Express ferry from 'Waukee to Muskeegan.  Now THAT'S how to avoid Chicago.  Very nice.  Gonna plan early next year and take the ferry both ways.
  Y'all have fun on those sweet dairy roads!  See ya next year.  :great:

Thanks to Dave and the gang for putting this together my pics are here https://lsgiant.smugmug.com/2016/Hunt-for-Red-October-16/

We spent some time in Mount Horeb, Troll capital of the world

20161008_110517-M.jpg

20161008_105804-M.jpg

The Duluth Trading had a cool old tool display

20161008_104810-M.jpg

If you are interested in the perspective of riding in the sidecar Joane took some videos

Hack%201-M.jpg

More photos and videos can be found at the link in the beginning of the post.

A BIG thank you for all of the COGGERS who signed the banner with well wishes at the Hunt.  Jeff and Brian H. brought it in to a visit at my rehab unit and I loved it.  I'm sure that I will heal days faster with your kind support.
Don Hollinger (Back in the Saddle)