• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2016 Versys 1000.Anyone ridden in comparison?

I have a 2015. I have completed a flash for it with the stock exhaust, and am working on the flash with the Delkevic de-cat header. So I think I have more than a passing knowledge of the bike.

To ask how it compares to the c-14... that's apples and oranges. A different bike for different expectations. At this point in time the versys 1000 is my go to bike for a couple reasons, one is for work (tuning). The other is that I recently moved, I have about 1/2 mile of dirt to traverse to get to my house, and the versys is much better at that than the c-14.  It's lighter and more nimble. The wide bars and seating position ispire confidence on dirt roads.

At 550#, the bike is alot less drama that the almost 700# c-14. This is for everyday riding. For a long trip, the c-14 would be the go to, unless it is really hot out.  The V1K has obviously less weather protection, good in the heat, not so much in the rain.

Obvious point, shaft vs chain drive. You decide on that one.

Power wise, the Versys is fun to ride. it will get you tickets but not like a c-14. You can be so far over the limit on a 14 and not even have a clue; the Versys seems like it likes to be somewhat near the speed limit. I speed less on the Versys. I flower sniff more on the Versys. Having 40 less HP means that you are a more subdued hooligan.

Brakes, the c-14 wins that one hands down. the Versys stops. the c-14 stops NOW.

Suspension, well it sucks on both bikes. I spent about 2k to upgrade the suspension on my c14. Then get on the Versys 1000 and the rear shock feels more like it's the rear stick. E V E R Y little pebble tries to bust your kidneys. I had the stock shock built by Traxxion, no dice, still sucks. I have ordered a custom built Wilbers triple clicker for the Versys. Why? because I really love the rest of the bike. Except for the front suspension, and it will be getting some love, too.

Seating positions, vastly different. I'm comfortable on both bikes. Just not the same position, but I have done 600# plus mile days on the 14, and the longest on the Versys so far is about 300. That was pretty easy. I look forward to knocking down more.

Working on them... versys wins hands down. It reminds me of a motorcycle I had growing up, before everything was enclosed in plastic. Pretty easy to work on. Much moreso than the 14.

So that's it quick - like, if you have any more Q's let me know. Steve

Thanks for the great comparison Steve.I had a Vstrom 1000 that was nice in similar categories,ride maneuverability,nimble but it was a tough ride in the rain and brakes were only ok.Looking to buy my first C14 very soon and hope to put many miles on it.Thanks again Steve

I test rode a 2017 Versys 1000 when I was shopping for a C-10 replacement.
I wanted something lighter, and little more 'nimble'.

I have to say, it's a very nice bike, and iffin' I were shopping for a new bike the LT
would be a serious choice.  I thought the bike had ample power, it's pretty quick.
The riding position was comfortable, though I didn't care for the seat itself.
The ride was very nice (on road only for the test ride) and it felt quite stable
and capable in what few turns I found in FL.

Steve gave a pretty spot on description...  (He's good like that  :beerchug:)

I also rode a 2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure (bonkers),
The 2017 Suzuki VStrom 1000  (Nice luggage, but my least favorite of the group)
The 2017 BMW 1200GS Rallye (pricey, but wonderful)
The 2017 BMW S1000XR Motorrad...  (ooohhh)

I ended up on a 2016 S1000XR Premium.  Which I do not regret one bit.  I don't miss the 170 lbs at all.

I never tested the C14.  I was not keen on getting another heavy weight,
no matter how good it is, and judging from COG members, it's a great bike.

You should give both a try....  What's to lose?

I recently picked up a 2015 Green Versys 1000 LT.
As Steve said, its Apples to Oranges.

BUT when I am loading my Versys in a 36' toyhauler, the extra weight of the C-14 adds to the weight of the trailer.
And the ramp is steep if you have to load after setting up camp.

Definitely fast and nimble enough that I am thinking about selling the 2015 Green C-14

SISF we need to talk when you get the Delkevic Flash finished your favorite gasoline blender needs one.

Thanks for the input.My son bought a new leftover 2016 versys and he really enjoys it in traffic where he lives.I was teetering with the thought of buying one but I just put a deposit on my first C14.
Will post pics once I get her home.

Don’t discount the 650 also. I have a 3rd gen 2015 and ergonomically, it’s about the same as the 1k. A little lighter, about 50mpg all the time. Simple and easy to maintain. Just not a powerhouse.

Tinsailor said:
Don’t discount the 650 also. I have a 3rd gen 2015 and ergonomically, it’s about the same as the 1k. A little lighter, about 50mpg all the time. Simple and easy to maintain. Just not a powerhouse.

I was just recommending the Versys 650 today to a co-worker looking to get off an older cruiser.
They're nice bikes.  I told her the upright seating position would change how she looks at motorcycles.  ;D
(A lot less chrome to polish for one!)

Here is another recent review of the 2019 Versys SE LT+

https://driving.ca/kawasaki/versys/reviews/road-test/motorcycle-review-2019-kawasaki-versys-1000-lt-se

Just a follow up, I have my wilbers triple clicker rear shock installed. Yes, it is all that. What a difference! The stock shock is like a solid metal rod in comparison. If you are considering a 15 to 18 v1000... plan on buying a shock. Steve