• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2017 Big Bend-Davis Mountains Ride the Twisties 19-21 October, 2017

kv5e

South Central Area Director - COG 5063
Staff member
The 2017 Big Bend - Davis Mountains Ride the Twisties is on the Calendar for the 19th through the 21st of October, 2017.

This year the Rally will be hosted at The Maverick Inn:

www.themaverickinn.com    432-837-0628

1200 E. Holland Avenue

Alpine, TX 79830

COG rooms are only blocked out until the 18th of September, 2017. Please make your reservation as soon as feasible.

SC COG will have exclusive use of the Maverick Inn which will include unlimited access to the heated pool and fire pit "after hours" once we reserve all 20 rooms.

The Maverick Inn has great amenities and people so this year we will have the "run" of the place with their great free breakfast, free WiFi, and easy walking distance to good restaurants.

This year we will have prizes and awards at the exclusive COG Dinner to be held at 7PM on Saturday the 21st, at :

www.judysbreadandbreakfast.com/  and dinner is included as part of the registration fee for Saturday night. :celebrate:

The Big Bend and Davis Mountains regions have arguably some of the best roads and scenery for riding  :motonoises: anywhere in the SC region along with the unique geology of the Eastern most expanse of the Basins and Ranges region in the United States.

4490016468_7417386149_b.jpg

A guide and maps to the area are available to all riders at the URL below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iworxlm9rg89e1g/n1O_PzO70H

Please make your reservations today and register on the COG calendar at the URL below:

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=245154&mo=10&tDate=%7Bd%20%272017%2D10%2D04%27%7D

Ride registration fee is $20 per person for COG members, and $25 for non-members which includes dinner.

Craig

Gypsy JR said:
Craig, can I pay when I get there?

You sure can!!!!!!    Looking forward to seeing you!

Ride free,

Craig

traveling from albuquerque, nm. anybody wants to meet up along the way......  let me know

Is there a group number for discounts on the rooms. I'm already registered, however I don't see where we have a group ID.

AirMonger said:
Is there a group number for discounts on the rooms. I'm already registered, however I don't see where we have a group ID.

Please say you are with COG. The Maverick includes a free hot breakfast. This is the peak season for Big Bend so the prices are a little higher, but the weather is gorgeous.

The Maverick also has a fire pit.  :campfire:

Second year to attend. Last year was spur of the moment last minute decision. This year I'm planning ahead. Personally, will be in Fort Davis for a few days before the COG event.

I wana go. 

I am still saving for retirement.  Just a few more months and then I will be poor but retired.

Anyone want to share a room to save money but ok if I have to back out last minute?

Looking forward to rolling down to Alpine. Kinda running out of PTO for the year so I'm taking "excuse" suggestions?

Honesty is still the best policy. I just plain told the boss "I'm sorry, I've gotta go. It's good for the soul." Can't wait to see everyone!

I'm gonna be there, Lord willin' and no more hurricanes make anything deeper around here.  :beerchug:

MArgaritas anyone?    :))

I heard that there is a tornado coming from Rio Rancho, New Mexico  :)
For sure, the next time you throw oil, I'll stop and check  :??:

redline said:
I heard that there is a tornado coming from Rio Rancho, New Mexico  :)
For sure, the next time you throw oil, I'll stop and check  :??:
HEHE
I'll try not to throw any this year.  But no promises.  :rotflmao:

I'da had ya if I'd had another 20 gallons of oil ya know.  :D    ::) yeah right

Tonight at 9PM rooms are released at the Maverick, if you are on the fence call now.

kv5e said:
Tonight at 9PM rooms are released at the Maverick, if you are on the fence call now.
I thought blocked until the 18th?!?! Was it actually the 8th? :??:

Asking this for a friend.  He will be riding down to the Texas hill country from Mountain Home, AR.  He will be there the 2nd full week in October.  What would be the best route for him to take.  I will be on a NE cruise that week, but plan on making the Natl next year.  I also live in Mountain Home, AR.
Steve Rogers

SR said:
Asking this for a friend.  He will be riding down to the Texas hill country from Mountain Home, AR.  He will be there the 2nd full week in October.  What would be the best route for him to take.  I will be on a NE cruise that week, but plan on making the Natl next year.  I also live in Mountain Home, AR.
Steve Rogers

OK, this is a detailed mostly off major highway route:

From Mountain Home, AR 201 to AR 341 south
from AR 341 take AR 14 east
AR 14 to AR 9 south through Mountain View
Continue on AR 9 to Clinton and take US 65 south
From US 65 south take AR 9 south through Morillton and pass over the Arkansas River
In Perry county take AR 10 west from AR 9 toward Ola
Continue on AR 10 until you reach the sawmill in Ola and take AR 28 south
Continue on AR 28 south going through Bluffton, Gravely, and endless chicken houses until US 71
Turn left on US 71 going south towards Mena (gas stop at Shell in Boles)

Continue south on US 71 and turn right at US 270 at the railroad tracks
Follow US 270 to US 259 and go south (you can ride part of the Talimena is you take AR 272 up to the Lodge)
US 259 south to Idabel, OK and take the US 70 bypass to OK 37 south to the Texas state line.
After crossing the Red River, turn right in Texas FM 195 and continue until Paris, TX

Let me know if this is type of route he is looking for, where the final destination is, and I will post more.

Craig

I will show him your directions.  I would assume that his destination would be the Kerrville TX area.
Steve

SR said:
I will show him your directions.  I would assume that his destination would be the Kerrville TX area.
Steve

OK from Paris I can prescribe a nice route avoiding most of DFW with nice twisties and views.

Just registered.

According to their website, Maverick Inn still has rooms for $120 night - AAA rate.

May need a roomie to share that for 3 nights.

Also the Highland Inn next door for half that - need to confirm availability.

Trying to entice a couple of C-14 riding non-Coggers to come out.

Questions for the DFW group - any plans for Thursday ride out?

Thanks

Just a suggestion; we could meet at Kawasaki West on the west side of the metroplex at 8:00am and just do a high speed burn (sounds cooler) across I20.

Prefer to do a high speed burn down 377 / 67. Timing OK if you want to meet up on 820.

Will be leaving FloMo around 7.

Sounds good to me. I'll ride anywhere or way just give me a heading.
So, we DFW folks, would like to meet up at (Honda) Kawasaki 3101 W. Loop 820 South, Fort Worth Tx., 76116, gased up, well fed and Bathroomed out between 7:30am and 8:00am October - 19th for a smooth stress free ride to Alpine. Everyone welcome. This is a "no drop" ride to Alpine. Need help, we gotcha.

I'll be there Thursday afternoon, Lord willin'.  I have a room at the Value Lodge down the road a piece.  I will have to return home on Saturday  :(  cuz I promised to be somewhere else on Sunday morning.  :-[

Rev Ryder said:
I'll be there Thursday afternoon, Lord willin'.  I have a room at the Value Lodge down the road a piece.  I will have to return home on Saturday  :(  cuz I promised to be somewhere else on Sunday morning.  :-[

Half a loaf is better than NO LOAF! :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: Looking forward to the covering smoke screen for some hooliganism. >:D

Just do ya'll know, there's still a very outside chance I'll be showing up.
Haven't given up, but would have to leave Houston almost immediately after returning from another trip.

Ride safe, Ted

Hi Kuzin'.
Didn't know you would be there. {you being there, does spike my interest}

Biggest problem is we'll be on a Model T Rally for a week before the Big Bend gathering.
Not sure I'll be able to return Monday, unload and maybe do repairs on the car, rest, and leave again on Wed or Thursday.

Plus, I need to go to the Deer Lease and get things ready for the first hunt, "and" Jim wants me to go to Arkansas
to help him break in his new bike.

Decisions, decisions,,,,,,,  :-[

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Hi Kuzin'.
Didn't know you would be there. {you being there, does spike my interest}

Biggest problem is we'll be on a Model T Rally for a week before the Big Bend gathering.
Not sure I'll be able to return Monday, unload and maybe do repairs on the car, rest, and leave again on Wed or Thursday.

Plus, I need to go to the Deer Lease and get things ready for the first hunt, "and" Jim wants me to go to Arkansas
to help him break in his new bike.

Decisions, decisions,,,,,,,  :-[

Ride safe, Ted

We all had a GREAT time at Jack's and you weren't there.......... :))

Enjoy the other hobbies, I do!  This is a voluntary participant event although Rev might need some of your *shine* to clean some timing chains up!!!!!!! :nananana:

I've been trying to talk Jim S. into going with me.
If'n ya'll could help me spur him into Big Bend, this would be an easier decision.. {Hint, hint}

I just happen to have some Timing Chain cleaner in the garage.
I keep it in a dark/cool room so it won't s'plode.

Ride safe, Ted

I've been looking forward to this since last year.
Too bad i missed the nationals this last time but God willing, I'll be in texas for the next one.
got the room already reserved and ready to go .....

Ted

Dinner is confirmed for Saturday night at Judy's Bread and Breakfast at 7 PM.

Location is listed in the opening post.

Weather so far looks great, I'll put up forecast early next week for the area.

If you are riding down from NM. keep an eye on winds in the GNP and pass on the way down.

Craig

Coming over from San Antonio with the GF and arriving late on the 20th.  Been a COGer for years, but never done any activities or met anyone from the group.  First time to BB.  Looking forward to it!

Leaving tomorrow morning for this trip.  Probably will stay in Comstock tomorrow night.  Will conduct BoD meeting from there and then on to Alpine Thursday morning.  I have to return on Saturday since I'm working Sunday at Bay City.  I think I'll be on the C-14 unless I change my mind again. LOL

Welcome Sfsokc, looking forward to seeing y’all.
@ RevRyder C14 would surely be more comfy and besides my friend with the trailer isn’t coming this time. Lol

Nottacop said:
Welcome Sfsokc, looking forward to seeing y’all.
@ RevRyder C14 would surely be more comfy and besides my friend with the trailer isn’t coming this time. Lol
I'm not all that sure the C-10 is more comfy. When I picked it up in Arkansas, I made it about 57 miles on the stock seat before my backside was screaming for relief and had to stop to purchase some beads.  I then rode the rest of the way to deep south Texas.  But I'll know more by tomorrow night since I'll be riding it to Alpine.  Wound up all over today but didn't get the inspection so I could get new tags for the Turbo so it's a homebody I guess.  Tsk tsk!  Oh well.  As long as my backside can stand the 14 (I know I can do long days on my C-10 beaded seat) I'll be OK. 

May only go to Comstock tomorrow.  Not sure yet.  Don't have a reservation for tomorrow yet.  Might be sleepin' in a ditch and Skyping the BoD meeting from a McDonalds.  LOL

Mike and I had an awesome time. We look forward to seeing everyone on the next trip. Until then stay healthy and happy!

for sure better but more difficult to tell how much. It seemed to me it could have been around 4 mpg...  I'll keep checking.  I guess I gonna read my kawasaki manual and see what other goodies I missed.  Great weekend !!! :)

I think Craig is going to setup a cloud drive he has where we can post pics.... if not I'll send a few I took

Thanks again for making this such a great weekend.

appreciate all the work and leading the way....  :)

Ted

Amyone with pictures from the ride please PM me with you email and I will send a link for dropbox pics.

Looks like ya'll had a good time.
What was weather like?

Things didn't line up so that I could be there with you. {Wish it had}
Had to go North for family business so I arranged a ride with Cliff/Jim in Arkansas.
Our weather was occasionally a bit wet, but we enjoyed the ride..

Ride safe, Ted

we had great weather and the rides and fellowship were great.
chuck came in on a C14 and doing 140 some mph didn't leave a drop of oil on the road this time

shoodaben there

Ted

redline said:
we had great weather and the rides and fellowship were great.
chuck came in on a C14 and doing 140 some mph didn't leave a drop of oil on the road this time

shoodaben there

Ted
  :-\ :-\ :-\

:67: :67: :67: :67: :67: :67: O:)

24118850658_0d71636356_z.jpg

Border Bike Terrorists

37260165044_c76d304060_z.jpg

Another pic of the bike brigands

37260164914_0f16dd2d32_z.jpg

Santa Elena Canyon of the Rio Grande

37260164874_749cb6ec1e_z.jpg

Cornucopia of Connies at Sotol Vista off of Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive

37260164824_8b70ff2d1e_z.jpg

View of Santa Elena Canyon and the Boficellos Mountains along FM170 from Sotol Vista

37260164744_a4598475a9_z.jpg

View from Mt. Locke (McDonald Observatory) towards the Haystacks and Marfa

37260164694_e8d46dbec0_z.jpg

Another view from the observatory down TX 118

Thanks to Bob "arjay2" for the pics!

Craig

soonerone said:
Something missing?

What did you have in mind?    I did trailer down there since my rear PR4 was shot and we needed an emergency trailer since Ted wasn't there. The first time ever to a SC event.

kv5e said:
soonerone said:
Something missing?

What did you have in mind?    I did trailer down there since my rear PR4 was shot and we needed an emergency trailer since Ted wasn't there. The first time ever to a SC event.

I think what he's getting at is that there are no pics attached.
kv5e said:
hsQ67o9Tb5O5AuTLi-xjOQ2RHEsLcXnpuxRfpkjGgQ8

Border Bike Terrorists

m_6IGzZlSCxWMbMd4jYVtu1yUdEyOuDOOY8krrInYus

Another pic of the bike brigands

b8qlCM7tpZY3ZNlz2Y9CVJgSezKKdfNV-Du8jb8iXAM

Santa Elena Canyon of the Rio Grande

VklpQJ3J7brAGC7n2aWWsuS8WKWjDX0TwrQJSxb7h_s

Cornucopia of Connies at Sotol Vista off of Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive

osno8fwMPmISX67EeFJF4Kfc6HvqFMRPKLFQ2lZXamk

View of Santa Elena Canyon and the Boficellos Mountains along FM170 from Sotol Vista

34-g4dVI7KegCH9TDIMsdKd0G1GInK0Zgt9NBq8AUzk

View from Mt. Locke (McDonald Observatory) towards the Haystacks and Marfa

59VYJmq5KkHC__-aiH3y6YDCWV-UQfVIAY4JdX-wrRU

Another view from the observatory down TX 118

Thanks to Bob "arjay2" for the pics!

Craig

When I try to go directly to the links I get a 403 error.

Fixed Now.........I could see them, but the access was not changed to "all view".

Something missing was ambiguous, can't see pics or forbidden access makes more sense.

LSGiant said:
I still can not see them

I can view them from my phone and I am not logged into dropbox......F5?

Moved to FLICKR......should see them now.