• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2017 total solar eclipse

Tour1

We're expecting a total solar eclipse om August 21, 2017.  In the it will be about 10:18 AM near Salem, Oregon and cross the USA through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, and South Carolina.  Not all parts of the states listed will get a total eclipse, and some parts of neighboring states will get a total eclipse.  It will be over about 2:50 PM EDT but don't be fooled by the time span because totality lasts less than 3 minutes in each place on the centerline and the time jumps an hour with each time zone going east.  The path of totality is about 60 miles wide.  At the edges it only be dark for a fraction of a second, longer as you get closer to the centerline.  Outside path of totality there is a partial eclipse with the percentage dropping as distance increases.  You will need arc welder's glasses to look at the sun safely, please do some research on that.  Even in the path of totality you will want to look before and after.  I used a safe solar filter to watch a total eclipse that was in Baja, CA, but I saw only a 5% eclipse from my home on Long Island, NY.

So you can find details about the path of totality at
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html

I'm suspicious of a URL with all those googles in it but since it didn't work with my android phone it's probably genuine, I'll edit it if necessary when I get on a real computer.

What's good about an eclipse for bikes is that it requires some mobility to avoid clouds sometimes, it's really short, and your headlight won't bother any hard-core telescope users.  Night time telescope users  value their night vision and a stray headlight will mess that up for up to a half hour so bikes would need illegal headlight circuit mods to mingle up close.  If you do chance to enter telescope country at night, park next to the road with your headlights pointed down the road, not at the telescopes or up in the sky.  When in Rome, do as the Romans do so don't shine lights around either, just hang still until you are dark adapted and you'll see their dim red flashlights etc.

In the meantime, my plan was to visit the wife's relatives in Seattle, rent a car and drive to Madras, Oregon to catch the eclipse near there.  Dry climates are best for avoiding clouds but so are straight up viewing angles.  That's what makes Casper, Wyoming so good this time. A sunrise view may have to see through 400 miles of clouds but a straight up view only needs to dodge the local clouds.

Wow, less than 100 miles from my house to the primary path...  Anyone want to bring their welding googles and hang out in KC next year?

MizzouMike said:
Wow, less than 100 miles from my house to the primary path...  Anyone want to bring their welding googles and hang out in KC next year?
Oh yeah I want to... but plan A is to visit the relatives in Seattle etc, said plan being almost doomed from the start.  I am leery of 2 lane highways that might get jammed with traffic, motels that are already booked solid, being under the de facto control of a family I hardly know... and if they're like my wife they have zero concept of arriving with time to spare.

I verified the link in the OP and got these too:

http://www.nasa.gov/content/eye-safety-during-a-total-solar-eclipse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C0SeDenPRo
be ready to cancel the next one(s) but maybe watch
https://youtu.be/yKFPL9xBe_U

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEpath/SEpath2001/SE2017Aug21Tpath.html

I think the ideal location for a late starter like myself would be 1 or 2 hundred miles from the center path and it would be good if it was the kind of place that has multiple roads at various angles towards the path of totality.  Kansas City being a little too perfect because it could be booked up, compared to Omaha where a lot of people might just be ignoring the event.  Of course this tactic is geared towards moving in the direction if the better weather.  If you would sit still and take what you get then there may be someplace under the path and not booked up.
You need to have a nice place to sit through it, too, and it may not be safe to stop on the side of an interstate.

Mike, I see you're about 5-1/2 hours from Rt 127 through Trail of Tears State Forest in Illinois.  That's real close to the longest & it crosses the centerline a mile into the park as you go south.  (You can find it on the map and click "imagery" to see the actual road)
With no paved shoulder, 1 lane each way under ideal circumstances, and a bunch of folks trying to park right there I bet it will be a road rage riot.  But if the weather is perfect and you get there first...  Best to check with the troopers and park management to see what they will allow.

I have thought this out pretty carefully and from my storm chasing/forecasting experience have a target for the eclipse:

http://www.stapletonnebraskaeclipse2017.com/

This is the preliminary target ellipse I have identified and I was able to make room reservations in McCook, NE for the dates.

That area has a 75% probability for clear skies and favorable weather. Additionally, there are better road networks in case a last minute weather system makes repositioning along the totality path to clear skies a better choice.

My plan is to drive to Stapleton in the morning with the tripods, cameras, and telescope and use the golf course there which is right on the maximum totality path. They are going to have an admission fee I think, but if you are setting up equipment for photography and video it is better to have a confirmed spot!!!

All the rooms along I80 are long gone so if you want to go to the Sand Hills for the eclipse, better make plans soon!

A couple of other towns along the path, Tryon and Alliance are planning events for the eclipse.

Craig

I was thinking about the driveway.... but Illinois is good too!  :great:  I may take off from work, since by geographic coincidence I have good seats to the show. Now to order a #14 lens and a welding hood.  Not sure what the kids will be doing that day, but I assume they will be at school???  If the NASA link is correct, I should have about 30s of full eclipse with the sun at 172degrees 62degrees above the horizon.  If I get some wild hair and decide to go and chase this thing (avoiding clouds) I can get into NEKS or SENE easily on US73 and avoid any major/minor cities.

The day off of work looks better and better after thinking about it for a while.

Tour1 said:
Mike, I see you're about 5-1/2 hours from Rt 127 through Trail of Tears State Forest in Illinois.  That's real close to the longest & it crosses the centerline a mile into the park as you go south.  (You can find it on the map and click "imagery" to see the actual road)
With no paved shoulder, 1 lane each way under ideal circumstances, and a bunch of folks trying to park right there I bet it will be a road rage riot.  But if the weather is perfect and you get there first...  Best to check with the troopers and park management to see what they will allow.

I suggest getting to the ideal spot at least an hour ahead of time, then set up camp and hang out.  I think the 2-lane road through the park is a trap, at least the short stretch I looked at.  A motel room in the path would be great but I never expected them to be booked a year in advance.
The dry prairie areas look good too but they lack shade & bathrooms.  I can deal if it's deserted, with the wife or crowds it could be a spoiler or at least a time limiter.  There won't be any rows of porta-potties in the desert.
For eastern Oregon or similar places I should search for strip malls and fast food joints.  The advantage there is it will be 10 AM or so when they might welcome the extra business.
At least if I miss the whole thing I can side with the natives that think it's bad luck to experience one.

I may plan a trip to Idaho or Montana and take the RV to position somewhere a bit deserted. I've been through one before and it's awesome if you can get high enough to be able to see for a few miles. You can see the line of total darkness tearing towards you if you have a vantage point. And if you're in the wild, all the birds and small creatures suddenly react to unexpected arrival of night and they disappear in the matter of minutes.

Of course maybe the same thing will happen if you're in a city -- depends on the neighborhood.

LSGiant said:
https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html

This is coming to the continental US for the first time in many years and will not return for many more.  I am going to camp here http://outdoornebraska.gov/rockford/  for the weekend  for good weather. I will have the RV so if you wish to join me we will treat you all as family.

I am also interested to hear what others are doing for this unique celestial event.

Time permitting, I'll see you there!

LSGiant said:

This is coming to the continental US for the first time in many years and will not return for many more.  I am going to camp here http://outdoornebraska.gov/rockford/  for the weekend  for good weather. I will have the RV so if you wish to join me we will treat you all as family.

I am also interested to hear what others are doing for this unique celestial event.

Maybe. We would be in the Roadtrek, most likely. With a trailer behind. Will this work? We are self contained for a minimum of four days, more if we get creative(and a little aromatic). We will be coming from the west. Not sure how this will come together.

I couldn't find a way to reserve. Is this first come? When did you plan on arriving?

Weather will play a role in this as we will stay farther west if need be.

Fascinating thread.

I think the land between the lakes in KY looks like a winner VIA BG Parkway for me. Interesting following the path. One of the most desolate places I know along the path, Casper WYO and along Rte 126 out there would ensure no traffic to worry about but I am not up for that kind of a trip. I spent a week there one night and do not really want to relive that.

That is a few days after my birthday so maybe I will try to celebrate with this.

SteveJ. said:
LSGiant said:

Maybe. We would be in the Roadtrek, most likely. With a trailer behind. Will this work? We are self contained for a minimum of four days, more if we get creative(and a little aromatic). We will be coming from the west. Not sure how this will come together.

I couldn't find a way to reserve. Is this first come? When did you plan on arriving?

I emailed the park and it is first come first serve. The gentlemen replied that the electric sites fill up but if we did not need electricity they would find a spot for us. We also can go easily without any hook ups. We will head east or west on Sunday depending on the weather.

LSGiant said:
SteveJ. said:
LSGiant said:

I emailed the park and it is first come first serve. The gentlemen replied that the electric sites fill up but if we did not need electricity they would find a spot for us. We also can go easily without any hook ups. We will head east or west on Sunday depending on the weather.
Thanks Jeff, for the excellent info. Now we will just see what the weather brings.

Speaking for the doom & gloom side, even on a usually deserted road you may find crowds like a space shuttle launch.  The people who don't care won't be there but campsites & roadsides may get crowded, & as I mentioned before could turn into mob scenes if there's limited access.
A work buddy borrowed my 2" diameter telescope to give his grade schooler a taste of astronomy.  It's been used, with a good safe filter, on eclipses before, just not a total eclipse.  My scope hasn't come back yet and the guy  tells me his relative rented or reserved a cabin in Tennessee in the eclipse path so they might go.
It is good for kids, but maybe he should budget his own scope?

Just for back-up (or realism) a flexible and cheap plan is to find lodging outside the eclipse path and less than an hour or 2 from a mall or Walmart that is in the eclipse path.  On eclipse day head for the best weather but park near the bathrooms & food supply.  The street lights might hurt your view of the stars at mid-eclipse but they'll take a while to turn on and the sky may be clear because of pre-eclipse sun burning off haze.  It's really important to have eye protection when looking at the sun, even during the partial phases when it feels like dusk.  You can make a shadow image using anything opaque with a hole in it but the hole needs to be round and small.

My goal photography wise is going to be to get myself and my lovely spouse in the photograph. Doing research now on how to make that happen. I am fairly accomplished with my camera gear but this is going to be a challenge. Should be great fun.

MizzouMike said:
Mike, There's a Walmart in St. Joseph, MO that is close to the centerline.
How are the non-interstate roads in case it looks like a 2 hour drive from there would make a difference?  As of now the MO/Kansas option is looking like a safe bet.
To the east there's a good stretch of I-70 running diagonally through the path, too.
Is the cell service good, or do you need to find wi-fi?

Two lane roads in this part of the world are ubeliveably fast for anyone that is from the more densly populated parts of the USA.  If you are in Nebraska / Kansas or Rural Missouri, you will be able to travel at 60mph.  Also if you are in NE/KS it will be even faster, and it is usally 30-40 miles between towns so it is WIDE OPEN, and you can also go miles without seeing anybody else.  As far as I-70 to the east (between KC and STL is very congested by our standards).  US36 between St. Joe and Hanible is all four lane now, and is much less crowded, that is the way I usually go if I have the time.

Cell service is questionable, and 4GLTE is great near the cities and along the interstate, but it does get sparse quickly once you are outside of those areas.

On a side note, the region is beginning to market the event.  I was in Atchison yesterday, and they had a big billboard welcoming folks to view the eclipse. 

You have my email, so feel free to reach out. 

Tour1 said:
MizzouMike said:
Mike, There's a Walmart in St. Joseph, MO that is close to the centerline.
How are the non-interstate roads in case it looks like a 2 hour drive from there would make a difference?  As of now the MO/Kansas option is looking like a safe bet.
To the east there's a good stretch of I-70 running diagonally through the path, too.
Is the cell service good, or do you need to find wi-fi?

This thing is going to be too close to not go!

I am about 50 miles north of Lincoln, so I can be in the center-line of the path in an hour. Maybe a lunch run to Lincoln that day?

Something to discuss at the COG breakfast this Saturday morning...

:great:

Repositioning due to cloud cover is easiest in NE or KS.

You can get the gist of the WX a few days before the eclipse to finalize a target ellipse.

This is "reverse storm chasing" as far as finding an optimal area.

Glad  I reserved rooms last year!

I for one, am glad the moon is not a magnifying glass.
The path will be almost directly over my house here in Casper, WY.

Picture-2.png

For anyone looking to seeing this, do yourselves a favor and get some eye protection. You can get eclipse viewing specks for about a dollar on eBay! Happy viewing! :great:

I think I have 40 pairs of "eclipse glasses" left.  I bought the 25 pack, got it by mail, then they apologized for mis-counting them (the count was right) and they shipped me 25 more.  I gave 10 away so far.  My source was Sky & Telescope, I think their store is ShopAtSky.com and the 25 pack was maybe $25?
I'm watching the path of TS Cindy and it seems like everything SE of St Joe MO could be at risk if there's a similar storm in August.
When I was in Oklahoma the roads were long grids but there were railroad lines separating many roads.  It's hard to know the best way around a closed RR crossing.

Arkansas won't do for this year's eclipse.  Check NASA.gov and search for eclipse to get free info.
I would like to see some of Kansas City's underground stuff, if I have the chance, and maybe drop in on MizzouMike, but this is really weather dependent stuff.  I'm dragging SWMBO  almost as far as she's willing to go already so if I want to go more NW I'll likely end up going straight east on the way home.  With good weather, the southeast options are closer to family.
In any case, slow passengers could ruin the high-mobility plan (I still think like a "single" guy).

Tour1 said:
Arkansas won't do for this year's eclipse.  Check NASA.gov and search for eclipse to get free info.
I would like to see some of Kansas City's underground stuff, if I have the chance, and maybe drop in on MizzouMike, but this is really weather dependent stuff.  I'm dragging SWMBO  almost as far as she's willing to go already so if I want to go more NW I'll likely end up going straight east on the way home.  With good weather, the southeast options are closer to family.
In any case, slow passengers could ruin the high-mobility plan (I still think like a "single" guy).

Look above and we are referencing the 2024 eclipse........... Mountain View would be a good venue too.

Sorry you missed the context in the quotes........ :beerchug:

This thing is just north of me about 25 miles or so. It's suppose to cross the Kentucky/Tennessee state line close to Keysburg Ky. May have to call a Connie picnic ride on this one, you'll have to bring your own food and drink because I doubt you can get anything along the path of the eclipse. A lot of stuff will be closed and what's not will be crowded.

The town of 20K here in southern ILL-inois is expecting upwards 100k in for the weekend. One of the wineries has got a three day music fest with Ozzy on stage on Monday at eclipse time.

kv5e said:
...Look above and we are referencing the 2024 eclipse........... Mountain View would be a good venue too.

I saw that, I was just worried that somebody might make the mistake that you thought I made... um, you know what I mean, right?
I'm going to have to research what's going on in St. Joe just in case it gets too crowded.  As a backup plan I'm guessing the bigger the city the more people who won't care if, when, or where there is an eclipse. 

Tour1 said:
kv5e said:
...Look above and we are referencing the 2024 eclipse........... Mountain View would be a good venue too.

I saw that, I was just worried that somebody might make the mistake that you thought I made... um, you know what I mean, right?
I'm going to have to research what's going on in St. Joe just in case it gets too crowded.  As a backup plan I'm guessing the bigger the city the more people who won't care if, when, or where there is an eclipse.

That is exactly why I've chosen the Gulag of Nebraska........eclipse follows a major state highway and re-positioning in case of cloud cover is easy.

What equipment do you plan to use, or what will you do?  I hope to:
1. See it, see if there are stars visible, see the corona, see what birds do etc.
2. It would be great to get a photo with stars in it, then compare that to a similar photo taken at night 6 months from now.  That is likely the most scientific thing I can accomplish.  I read a book that said the photos proving Einstein's theory weren't all that great for proving the theory (that gravity bends the starlight).  A wide-angle picture is relatively easy to do.  If anything it could show how much starlight doesn't bend.

Nope, not for the totality. You may get about 1/2 coverage, but it's really underwhelming compared to a totality. Even Portland, Ore. is too far north to see the totality.

connie_rider said:
Just saw this. We will be at Anchorage or Denalli on the 21st.
Will we be able to see it from there?

Ride safe, Ted

From the way I understand the map you will get nothing. Better cancel your trip, you can go to Alaska anytime :)

Cancel the trip??
  Do you want my wife to kill me??
    Do you think I'm crazy??    {Wait, don't answer that}

Note; This trip is to thank her for letting me go "OtP" for last years 2015 Alp's Tour..

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Did I mention that if she enjoys the trip, I might get to go to the 2018 Alp's Tour?
              <sneaky grin>

Tour1 said:
What equipment do you plan to use, or what will you do?  I hope to:
1. See it, see if there are stars visible, see the corona, see what birds do etc.
2. It would be great to get a photo with stars in it, then compare that to a similar photo taken at night 6 months from now.  That is likely the most scientific thing I can accomplish.  I read a book that said the photos proving Einstein's theory weren't all that great for proving the theory (that gravity bends the starlight).  A wide-angle picture is relatively easy to do.  If anything it could show how much starlight doesn't bend.

1. Meade ETX 90 with tripod and solar filter, have camera adaptor too.
2. Maxxon 5D SLR with Velvia 50 35mm slide film, 300mm lens and filter.
3. Nikon 5100 with solar filter
4. Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Bak4 binoculars (for totality)
5. Have nice eclipse glasses to wear for Mark 1 eyeball observations
6. Hotel rooms reserved over 18 months ago!!!!!!!!

Craig

My main plan is to have an old  Nikon FA 35mm doing the close up shots through a 10X-30X spotter scope.  I got a nice picture of an annular eclipse with that setup.  I used 2 layers of space blanket as a filter and ISO100 film.  The old Nikon has a simple +/- needle for exposure that worked well (though it was an F2 that time).  I'll use a digital Nikon for the wide field, hopefully catching stars during totality with the zoom set for 28mm and digital "ISO1600 film".  I need to get some practice shots in at night but the corona may be bright (I can't recall seeing a total eclipse before so I don't know what to expect).  My digital camera is also old so it doesn't make movies.

connie_rider said:
Just saw this. We will be at Anchorage or Denalli on the 21st.
Will we be able to see it from there?

Ride safe, Ted

Don't know, but if you get to see Denali (the mountain) without clouds, you're lucky. We caught it cloud free, deep in the park in about 1989--- MAGNFICIENT!

LSGiant said:
Less than one month away. Does everyone have there plans in place ?

Plans are closing the shop on Friday evening, stopping by the food and booze store on the way home and not coming off the ranch til Tuesday morning work. This town is going to turn into a parking lot. They've even got Ozzie booked to play one of the wineries Monday.
STOP THE MADNESS

PS..... In case you haven't there are some defective chicom knock off viewing glasses being sold. Be sure yours have the proper US ISO #

^^^

I've got an old welding helmet that I suspect will work just fine for viewing. I'll have to clean the glass tho...

;)

Whatever you plan to use, try it on a headlight or other bright bulb to verify it works.  I also limited my eyeball viewing by spending time taking pictures.
As I recall from the annular eclipse, without totality it just feels cloudy, and passers-by didn't realize there was any eclipse.  I was set up in the parking lot at Fort Ticonderoga, north of Albany NY.  People parking to see the fort noticed me but nobody was "OMG I'M MISSING THE ECLIPSE". In other words, most of the time the sun will be bright enough to do serious damage.

BTW an annular eclipse is when the moon tries to make a real eclipse but it's too far away and can't block the whole sun at once.  Just in case you didn't know and didn't google.

Will leave northern Michigan on Friday. Will collect Randy and Stan
and start south to somewhere just north of Nashville. The ride will
be planed as we go so nothing is certain.

I've been keeping up with DOT info on this, and because this hasn't happened in modern times, there's no model to compare it to, there's no way to predict how things will be as far as traffic on major roads so be advised. I'm thinking of doing a RTE in Springfield Tennessee which is about 1 second from peak duration and there's room at the Resturant to camp out and watch, plus secondary roads in all directions.

If you have internet you can go to NOAA.gov then follow links to your local weather by entering City, State or zip code into a box and hit enter.  When you get to the page with current conditions and a forecast, scroll down until you see a small radar map next to a small satellite image.  The radar map will show you where it is raining and the "full loop" image will show which way it's all going.  Then use the back button until you see the small radar and satellite side by side.  This time click the satellite image.  It will show you one big image and 4 smaller ones.  The areas that are black on all the satellite images don't have clouds.  The colors you see are likely rain or drizzle.  White areas may be thin or not so thin clouds.
I've been checking the maps and asking myself where to go if the eclipse was tomorrow.  Seems like it's usually Missouri or Nebraska with Kansas City at the iffy line.

:great: This is my eclipse rig, minus solar filters.  It is positioned close to how the book says the sun will look from Grand Island, Nebraska.  The first bit of moon shadow will start at about 11:30 AM local time, first totality at about 2 minutes before 1 PM.  It says at maximum the altitude will be 60 degrees at an azimuth of 162 degrees.  I don't know if that's weird, being 18 degrees east of south an hour after noon, but I guess it's a combination of Daylight Savings Time and the Earth's orbit being a bit egg-shaped.  It will be educational anyway.
For music I'm thinking "You're my blue sky, you're my sunny day..."
It's close to my father-in-law's 80th birthday and I need ideas how to make my wife and relatives happy before the trip, or it will be just a song, not a happy feeling.

Attachments

• EclipseRig50pct.jpg
    EclipseRig50pct.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 108
My hometown in Illinois is really trying to capitalize on this event because it is located at the point of greatest duration. At approximately 1:20 p.m. CDT on August 21, 2017, you can experience the total solar eclipse for 2 minutes and 38 seconds!

http://www.carbondaleeclipse.com/

Knowing their luck - it will be cloudy that day.

Slingblade said:
My hometown in Illinois is really trying to capitalize on this event because it is located at the point of greatest duration. At approximately 1:20 p.m. CDT on August 21, 2017, you can experience the total solar eclipse for 2 minutes and 38 seconds!

Yeah, it's going to be a real clusterfk in town that weekend. They're guessing 50k to 100k extra people in the area. Everything has been sold out for a year. SIUC sold out one of the towers they have scheduled for demo. Ozzie is playing at one of the wineries on Monday. SIUC move in weekend is the same time. Supposed to be downtown music festivals Saturday and Sunday. They're going to turn the town into a parking lot for three days.  ::)

gPink said:
Slingblade said:

Yeah, it's going to be a real clusterfk in town that weekend. They're guessing 50k to 100k extra people in the area. Everything has been sold out for a year. SIUC sold out one of the towers they have scheduled for demo. Ozzie is playing at one of the wineries on Monday. SIUC move in weekend is the same time. Supposed to be downtown music festivals Saturday and Sunday. They're going to turn the town into a parking lot for three days.  ::)

I hope it works-out for them.  This is like preping for hosting the Olympics.  We all know how that works out most of the time

CentrelineCloud.png

Here's some guidance for best locations versus cloud cover.

Craig

We'll be in Denali on the 21st. So, I doubt we will be able to see much.
Plus,,, probably cloudy..
Was hoping to be passing thru the right area at the right time. But no luck...

Ride safe, Ted

Planning a trip from the Cleveland area with my brother for this.  It will be his first tour and he bought a V-Strom instead of the Connie I tried talking him into...  :-[.  The plan is to bounce around KY for the week, we have a few destinations lined up.

We're staying in Evansville the weekend of the 19Th to check the weather and choose a destination for the eclipse.  Does anyone have a suggestion?  It doesn't happen until the afternoon and we can ride 2-3 hours before it.  I'd like to avoid the major cities and congestion if possible, but not counting on it.  We're not looking for a place to stay for the night, just to hang for the eclipse and be on our way. 

Today's Long Island (NY - no totality this time) quotes somebody who knows somebody who double booked in case the weather is bad at their first choice.  They same person posted on a Yahoo group about an entire hotel that was booked by 1 group that cancelled (in Wyoming).

Try Southern Illinois - head to Giant City Park or Garden of the Gods or better yet - ride up to the Bald Knob Cross of Peace

Joe said:
Planning a trip from the Cleveland area with my brother for this.  It will be his first tour and he bought a V-Strom instead of the Connie I tried talking him into...  :-[.  The plan is to bounce around KY for the week, we have a few destinations lined up.

We're staying in Evansville the weekend of the 19Th to check the weather and choose a destination for the eclipse.  Does anyone have a suggestion?  It doesn't happen until the afternoon and we can ride 2-3 hours before it.  I'd like to avoid the major cities and congestion if possible, but not counting on it.  We're not looking for a place to stay for the night, just to hang for the eclipse and be on our way.

Check out this on ADV Rider you will have to send him an email.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/total-solar-eclipse-august-21-2017-kentucky.1051764/page-3

Ted,

Yeah, they are starting to pop out all over around here in convenience stores. Two bucks. Cheaply made... don't know about how effective they are. I'm still going to use my welding helmet tho. It has already proven its effectiveness. Sure, I'll look like a dork, but everyone will be looking up, right?

..  :)

Just be sure you have something made to view the sun safely.  There are regular sunglasses that use the word "Eclipse" in their brand and you won't be any more safe looking straight at the sun through them than you would be by chewing "Eclipse" chewing gum without any other protection.  Also, and this is experience talking, keep the optics out of reach of children who might try to use them without protection.  A kid grabbed my plain binoculars and went for the sun at a cub scout thing, I had to jump at grab them back before he blinded himself.

Well The Wizard has reservations in Astoria,Oregon,and the eclipse day is the wife and I's 25th anniversary.We will drive south towards Pacific City,Ore. for breakfast, hopefully, then watch the aliens arrival.From behind the moon they'll come. But all will be well. Any other Coggers going to be in the area.  Jerry

Jerry_Layman_NE said:
Ted,

Yeah, they are starting to pop out all over around here in convenience stores. Two bucks. Cheaply made... don't know about how effective they are. I'm still going to use my welding helmet tho. It has already proven its effectiveness. Sure, I'll look like a dork, but everyone will be looking up, right?

..  :)

You, would look like a Dork???
                  Nahhh!!

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
I may be the last person to realize this, but today I realized that special glasses are being sold to view the eclipse.
I ordered a few pair that are supposed to fit over our glasses.
Will see if they are dark e'nuff??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lots-Plastic-Solar-Eclipse-Glasses-Safe-Viewing-ISO-and-CE-Certified-August-21th-/232406162393?var=&hash=item361c7c9bd9:m:md_7CY0DP0hf1gtzm43Qx2Q
Supposedly Walmart carries them too.

Ride safe, Ted

I thought you were going to be in Alaska ?

Your right. I will be in Alaska.
  To be exact, I will be on a horse ride in Denali on the 21st..

I know I wouldn't se a full eclipse..
I think everyone's forgetting that other area's will see a partial.

Hoping {maybe} I can {at least} see a partial Eclipse..
I'm assuming good dark glasses will be more essential to see a partial..
    hmmm, What local time will it be in Denali when I would have the best chance??  :confuse:

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Your right. I will be in Alaska.
  To be exact, I will be on a horse ride in Denali on the 21st..

I know I wouldn't se a full eclipse..
I think everyone's forgetting that other area's will see a partial.

Hoping {maybe} I can {at least} see a partial Eclipse..
I'm assuming good dark glasses will be more essential to see a partial..
    hmmm, What local time will it be in Denali when I would have the best chance??  :confuse:

Ride safe, Ted

What would you do without me ?

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/@5868589

What would you do without me ?

As I will be on vacation, I'd probably sleep in and miss it!!  ;)
  {The horsey ride doesn't start till noon}..
    Now, I can't tell the wife,, "oops, we overslept"..  :41:

PS: Speaking if my vacation. Please send money!!

Ride safe, Ted

Tested my glass solar filter with my ETX-90 MAK yesterday and with a 28mm eyepiece the solar diisk almost fills the field of view. There was one nice large sunspot in view.

No photos through the telescope, I will just use it to track from first contact until a minute or two before totality.

I will take a few shots with my Nikon DSLR and Minolta 35mm camera during totality, but mostly just want to enjoy the experience.

I'll also set up a GoPro to catch the shadow coming and going.

Craig

I found this link for an eclipse party at the Harley dealer in St. Joseph, MO.
http://www.stjoeharleydavidson.com/default.asp?page=xListEvents&id=296122
It says food by the Pony Express HOG Chapter
10 AM to 4 PM
816-233-9061

It's practically on the centerline so it should be a good spot if you plan to ride and think you might get along with the crowd.  I'm taking a van & telescope gear to where-ever the weather looks good.  I would call first to be sure they'll have room for strangers.

That is where I purchased my HD 4 years ago.  They are good folks, but will try and sell you a Harley. 

The profits of doom (local TV media) are warning of crazy traffic and general chaos, so I will be watching from my driveway (30s of totality).  Unfortutnately, I have to travel for work, so I catch a plane later that day.  The good news is that I am flying from KC to Nashville (both in the path), so I hope it will not be part of the temporary eclipse migration.

Tour1 said:
I found this link for an eclipse party at the Harley dealer in St. Joseph, MO.
http://www.stjoeharleydavidson.com/default.asp?page=xListEvents&id=296122
It says food by the Pony Express HOG Chapter
10 AM to 4 PM
816-233-9061

It's practically on the centerline so it should be a good spot if you plan to ride and think you might get along with the crowd.  I'm taking a van & telescope gear to where-ever the weather looks good.  I would call first to be sure they'll have room for strangers.

Hey Mike I'll be in Nashville too.  I'm working at Vanderbilt University- the whole place is shut down so everyone can watch the eclipse.

In place about 60 miles out of Jackson wy. Usfs sites almost full and it's getting to be even more of a zoo than normal in Jackson. Plenty of riding and things to do while waiting.

Rumor is 6-8 hundred for RV park sites.

Well, my meeting was pushed back a week to avoid the eclipse.  I guess there are no rental cars to be found at the Nashville airport...

Bruce_Reafsnider_TN said:
Hey Mike I'll be in Nashville too.  I'm working at Vanderbilt University- the whole place is shut down so everyone can watch the eclipse.

MizzouMike said:
Well, my meeting was pushed back a week to avoid the eclipse.  I guess there are no rental cars to be found at the Nashville airport...

Bruce_Reafsnider_TN said:
Hotels in the area have been booked up for months too.  And so far it's a good chance of being cloudy that day.

Great American Eclipse with 2 minutes 33 seconds of totality observed in Stapleton, NE.

Arrived at the Fairgrounds at 0630 with a PRIMO spot before the hordes packed in (~6000). This is in a county of 1000 people.

We had early morning fog and stratus that burned off by 1045. There was some high cirrus that  was translucent to partially opaque during the C1 to C2 times, but it cleared about 10 minutes before TOTALITY.

I will have more after I can process images later this week.

Words on a forum pale when trying to describe the multiple senses, intellect, and emotions engaged during a total solar eclipse. I will have more later.........

If yo have not experienced an eclipse that "goes all the way" ;D , then you have definitely missed out on one of the truly remarkable and uniquely profound things that a human may perceive.

Craig

Here's a composite of my photos taken about 10 miles north of Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee. Of course, it doesn't capture the experience of being there.
-

Attachments

• Composite.jpg
    Composite.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 125
Swampcat said:
Here's a composite of my photos taken about 10 miles north of Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee. Of course, it doesn't capture the experience of being there.
-

Great shots Ed!!  I have video of the fairgrounds before, during, and after totality and 8 GB of RAW photos to process.

It was 11 hours of driving there and 12 hours back and I am at work today so  we will have a Video blog done in the next couple of weeks to share.

The experience is peerless.....nothing else can be compared to the gestalt of "being in the moment" of a total solar eclipse with a clear sky.

:c029: :celebrate: :Woot_Emoticon: :08:

I made it to Ravenna, Nebraska with crew and equipment.  I needed a lot more prep & practice than I had but I made photos & whatnot.  There was thin high cloud during totality so it didn't get dark.  The trip was worth it as experience gained at the least.
  I saw a nekkid C-10 in Salina, Kansas.  Thought I had it on dash-cam but it looped over before I got the chance to save it.

The wife and I got home last night from the 2017 Totality Eclipse Tour,very humbling,awesome and many other adjectives.Hoping for Texas in 2024's return engagement tour.Will try to post pics.      Jerry Gaither

Didn't see any of you from my hill just north of Arnold, Nebraska.  Clear skies, only about 50 people and I rode out on the famous Dunning-Arnold road to the north away from traffic.  Our view was at least 20 miles wide and over 10 miles across.  I saw alot of clouds off to the west and the moon shadow hit the clouds on the top and turned them black as it headed toward our spot.  You could just see the back of the shadow sweep across the valley to the east over two minutes later.  Great experience.
Also this was my first extensive road trip on my back from the dead 91 Concours, lots of help from this forum, parts from an 86 parts bike, a couple of mirrors from the Wizard, and she is running great. I covered 2000 miles in 5 days across SD, mountains of Colorado, Nebraska.  Mix of I 80 and I 90 along with the two lanes roads in between.  I rode up Big Thompson canyon and over trailridge road and I really put the bike to work in the curves after a few hundred miles of confidence building riding from Minnesota. Rode enough to know I want to tweak the windshield and the seat position.  I slowly kept exploring the middle and upper regions of performance in the curves and cruising. It runs just great and got over 44 mpg. Only big problem of the trip was the speedometer needle dropped off and I had to stop and take off the cable just to stop further damage.  MOB instructed me how to fix and there is always the parts bike or the Wizard.
There are some great curvy sweeping roads to be ridden in South Dakota and Nebraska,  very impressive.

Roadisattva

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMcT-LIZaO7B49Efp6loNJDqeoH-SIoPQXdpCLE

photo link of my shadow peeing itself because I am on my first semi epic road trip and my first measured fillup is 44 mpg which means that the bike is running close to how it is supposed to run

Here's my eclipse picture.  D80 camera, 200mm zoom, thin cloud covering the eclipse.  Also cropped the image but kept all the useful pixels AFAIK.

Attachments

• Cropped1.jpg
    Cropped1.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 95
36544541020_483c265230_b.jpg

One of the bracketed snaps......still have not processed into a high dynamic range composite yet.

Craig

Wow Tour and KV - great shots!

Thanks for sharing. Watched it from Wyoming. Pretty spectacular, glad we made the trek, both ways, last minute (well, at 2am to beat the rush).

kv5e said:
One of the bracketed snaps......still have not processed into a high dynamic range composite yet.

Craig

That's a fantastic picture. Technical details, please?

D750
ISO-100
F/11
1/20th sec
+2.7 step bias
10000K color temp
200mm

Cropped for the MONEY SHOT!