• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2017 Wildflower Regional Rally

kv5e

South Central Area Director - COG 5063
Staff member
COG 2017 Wildflower SC Regional Rally

March 31 - April 2 , 2017

i-7Hkg7gR-M.jpg

Meet at the River Inn Resort in Hunt, Tx. March 31-April 2 for a few days of riding central Texas twisty roads, comparing farkles, ogling wild flowers and putting off doing your taxes a little longer.

There will be an included dinner and a prize drawing on Saturday night.

i-c9mqL9D-M.jpg

20 River Inn rooms are blocked at a slightly discounted rate of $85 for studio or one bedroom and $125 for two bedroom.  Ask for COG rates when booking.  You must call to get these rates as they are not available online. The rooms are not cheap but the venue is very nice.  Consider sharing rooms with those who have the frugal bug. These are privately owned rooms so they are not identical although all include a sofa bed and basic kitchen utensils. Our rooms are located "below the dam" so if you prefer a room off by yourself or if you tend to retire very early then you may wish to request a room "above the dam" when you call. Generally there is only very subdued (if any) conversation in the courtyard after 10PM.

Reserve early as not all rooms are on the first floor. Rooms will be held for us until February 28th, after that date the rooms will be released to the general public.  Room rates are also available on March 30th for those wishing to arrive on Thursday.

Cancellations must be made by February 28th to get first night deposit refund.

IMG_0061_0062_0063_HDR_b_stitch-M.jpg

cog%20wild%20ride%20109-S.jpg
BBRider.png

My_room-S.jpg
River_Inn_3-S.jpg

hors_d%27oeuvres_de_Leslie-S.jpg
Patio_Talk1-S.jpg

SC calendar entry link is below:

https://cog.memberize.net/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=239033&mo=3&tDate=%7Bd%20%272017%2D03%2D15%27%7D

Your host Martin Cobb has contact information in the event page.

Please come and join us!

Bleh, I'll be using a walker still (a little) when this happens. I need to be sure to be able to make the Big Bend one this year.

(as always) We're looking forward to it!
See ya there.

NOTE: The River Inn is a favorite of the wife's.
          Even if they don't ride, convince them to come. They'll love it..   

Ride safe, Ted

One of my bestest favorite events always!!!!!
Counting change from the couch now.  :motonoises:

Looking forward to it.  This was my first ever COG event and had a blast last year, despite the rain.  Glad to see it has been moved up a couple of weeks, hopefully to avoid the rain and the flowers will still be in full bloom.  Great venue for sitting around swapping stories and enjoying the beverage of your choice.  Only downside is its only an hour from my house, so don't have the opportunity to ride in with anyone for it.

Steve

Here is the site (with Photo's) of the River Inn.  (March 31 - April 2)
At the bottom of the page in "Things to Do",,, there is info on Motorcycle Roads in the area... (etc)

http://www.riverinnresort.com/accommodations

Phone numbers: 830 238-4226
                        800 841-0501

We've registered for the event.
Will make our reservation's next. {Done} {RM 105}

Our plan is to arrive on Thursday (March 30) so we can enjoy it more.
See ya'll there??

Ride safe, Ted

Radiator guard- check!
Fender extender- check!
Registered- check!
Lodging- check!
I'm so excited for this event. This is one of my favorite places in Texas.
See you there!!!

Great!!!!  We moved  from a strong El Nino to a mild La Nina pattern so I think the spring may be a little drier.

Craig

Nice rain over the Hill Country last Sunday night.  Wildflowers should be spectacular this year.  Spring has sprung, everything is budding out.  Feel for you guys dealing with the snow and cold.  We have to summerize our bikes down here in Texas, no riding from July-Sept. 

Looking forward to the rally.

I just hope we are past the last freeze.  It is still February and if we get one now no flowers, no peaches and a few other bad effects of perfect weather in the middle of winter.

Well looks like I will not be attending the Wildflower ride this year. I am trying to plan another Arkansas ride for the SC calendar.
Tentative details are in the new ride planning thread (check it out and give me your thoughts) . Hope you guys & gals have a good
time at the River Inn and I will see some of you at Cliffs in April.

SATXRIDER said:
We have to summerize our bikes down here in Texas, no riding from July-Sept. 

Actually, that's why air conditioned motorcycle riding suits are made, so we can ride through the Texas blast furnace summer months and stay alive doing it! No, I don't have one, but Marty does.

Jim Snyder said:
Well looks like I will not be attending the Wildflower ride this year. I am trying to plan another Arkansas ride for the SC calendar.
Tentative details are in the new ride planning thread (check it out and give me your thoughts) . Hope you guys & gals have a good
DAMMIT JIM... I'M A TURBO TECHNICIAN, NOT A DOCTOR!

I really want you to be there.  :'(

Rev Ryder said:
Jim Snyder said:
DAMMIT JIM... I'M A TURBO TECHNICIAN, NOT A DOCTOR!

I really want you to be there.  :'(

:'( Now, now, dry your eyes Rev  :'( Its gonna be Ok. The stars just didn't line up for this trip.

Might be yer only chance at the turbo fer another year. 

This is what we term boosting or appling pressure      >:D

Rev Ryder said:
Might be yer only chance at the turbo fer another year. 

This is what we term boosting or appling pressure      >:D

I know me and Ted have a tradition of working on someones bike every year in the parking lot so I am anointing you to take my place.

Nottacop,,, that's great!
I just got a brand new hammer!!!
  and I think I still have a whole roll of duct tape..

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Jim,,, you ferget. We're normally helpin' Rev work on Rev's bike!!!!

It don't count if Rev, helps Rev, work on Rev's bike!!!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Ohhhh, I know a solutoion!!  "I haz a plan"...  >:D

I'll ride it...  Then Rev can help "me" work on Rev's bike...  O:)

Ride safe, Ted

Your gonna miss us!!!!

My bike ain't gonna need wurkin' on.  Ted ain't got a snowball's chance of ridin' it...  :32:  or even lookin' at it close.  :96: 
And iffin' "I" break it, it won't be repairable in the parkin' lot.

:38:  Ted, you just keep yer distance and keep yer evil eye to yerself. 

Rev Ryder said:
My bike ain't gonna need wurkin' on.  Ted ain't got a snowball's chance of ridin' it...  :32:  or even lookin' at it close.  :96: 

So, your bike ain't gonna need workin' on, just like yer sayin' that shafties can't wheelie. Ha! I've proved you wrong on that one many times, Chuck.

Rev Ryder said:

Sure its fixable in the parking lot. Just go to the store and get a bottle of that liquid metal stuff  and add to the oil, it will fill in
those burnt holes in the pistons nicely.

What about us poor folks that prefer to sleep outdoors?  Any campsites near the resort?  The closest thing we can is find Ingram Lake RV Park or By the River RV Park and Campground.  Both are over 10 miles away.  The Kerrville -Shcreiner Park is even further, but very nice.

Keith said:
What about us poor folks that prefer to sleep outdoors?  Any campsites near the resort?  The closest thing we can is find Ingram Lake RV Park or By the River RV Park and Campground.  Both are over 10 miles away.  The Kerrville -Shcreiner Park is even further, but very nice.

We have looked for a combined venue, but in Kerrville that's tough. The River Inn Resort has been the default for many years.

This would be a good discussion to have at the ride. By the River RV is probably the best choice for camping nearby.

A combined venue with camping and rooms would be best, but we had nearly 50 attendees last year with almost all staying at the River Inn Resort.

A lot of folks share rooms so that is another way to reduce the costs.

Craig

Mo Ranch Presbyterian Camp and Conference Center has cabin and tent camping sites for cheap available... at least they USED to be cheap.  That is on 1340 and still a fair ways from the Resort.  One could call and ask folks at the Damn Store or the Hunt Rock Cafe and ask where the nearest tent or RV spaces would be.  I had friends with a place three doors down from the resort, but sadly they have both died the past year. Lovely folks.

Mo Ranch can be checked out at www.moranch.com

OK.  Campsites are $32/night and cabins are $72 and can hold up to 8 folks.

Looks like weather will be an improvement over the last few years!!!!!!

Mid week there's a progressive upper low that kicks out quickly. May be some pop up showers on Saturday, but not widespread coverage.

Definitely NO LINGERING CUTOFF SURFACE LOW like we have seen in the last two years!!!!

Get OUT AND GET ON DOWN to Hunt, TX!

Craig

As the name of the rally implies, the wildflowers are popping right now.  Took a ride thru the hill country last Sunday and everything is green and beautiful thanks to the late winter rains. I have a nice ride set up for Friday for anyone who wants to join in.

Steve

Bigfoot_16 said:
Rev Ryder said:

So, your bike ain't gonna need workin' on, just like yer sayin' that shafties can't wheelie. Ha! I've proved you wrong on that one many times, Chuck.

Nice one Jim :great: Texans talk the best smack.

Tennessee is proud to have saved y'all from having an international border to your north :nananana:

Love the pics - hope to make this one day on the way to or from visiting my twin and the rest of my family in Houston. Have fun - we'll be doing COG things in Holenwald that weekend  :motonoises:  :great:  :beerchug:

For some reason I felt I heard that a Friday meal was in the works also.  Am I dreaming?  I do that sometimes.  I just don't want to do something else and then find out there was something planned.

smithr1 said:
For some reason I felt I heard that a Friday meal was in the works also.  Am I dreaming?  I do that sometimes.  I just don't want to do something else and then find out there was something planned.

Marty said he has "meals" planned for Friday and Saturday.

Members have no saltpeter added! :))

If food is being provided Friday that word needs to get out there. 

We usually either head back into town to get dinner or fixings for dinner.  If everyone does that and then food is provided there will be to much.

Ted ya know no one gonna touch your poppers without gloves.  Eeeeww Oooohhhhh  oucheeeee

smithr1 said:
If food is being provided Friday that word needs to get out there. 

We usually either head back into town to get dinner or fixings for dinner.  If everyone does that and then food is provided there will be to much.

Ted ya know no one gonna touch your poppers without gloves.  Eeeeww Oooohhhhh  oucheeeee

There's always been something to eat made available on Friday, so please don't act like everyone starves! ;D

Marty does not post much on this forum, so don't shoot the messenger. :violent-smiley-007:

He mentioned chili and fixings on Friday, then the burgers and such on Saturday. It was all VERY TASTY last year and NO ONE WENT HOME HUNGRY!

Anyway,  COG SWAG BAGS may show up for some of those attending.

Ted will end up stranded on TX 39 or TX 187 on the TURBO!!!!!!!! :))

Everyone turn off your phones when Ted leaves on the TURBO for his annual jaunt to nowhere. :nananana:

gr33nmAn

Not a problem...
Rev's already told me I ain't allowed to ride the Turbo "no mo"...

And, I ain't stupid.. after 3 tries and 3 breakdowns,,,, I ain't goin'!!

Bob, gloves will be provided...

Ted

connie_rider said:
Not a problem...
Rev's already told me I ain't allowed to ride the Turbo "no mo"...

And, I ain't stupid.. after 3 tries and 3 breakdowns,,,, I ain't goin'!!

Bob, gloves will be provided...

Ted

If it's any consolation, I watched the Turbo blow a stitch on US 67 just north of the Presidio Airport with our esteemed ED at the controls. All of us were feeling a little frisky after the River Road and a big Meskin Lunch at El Patio. All of a sudden a C14 passes me at about 130 with Rev right behind on the Turbo which turned into a rolling two wheeled crop duster with choking blue smoke trailing and a BAD ENGINE SOUND from the ninth circle of Dante's Inferno. It sounded possessed! :character0029:

Pamela and slowed down in the choking blue fog and circled back to check on Chuck. Arrangement were made to bring the trailer down and get him back to the Maverick.

Chuck got back about fours hour later and I handed him a cold one. He had ridden the Turbo to Alpine so..........it was El Strando or find a way to get it back. Good COGGERS made it so!

I was not running the GoPRO when it happened, so we can't show it in a loop on Friday Night during all the bench racing.  :D

Craig, I do want you to tell the story real good next week - after we've all had a margarita or two... and maybe after some o' Ted's cousin's shoe polish (moon) shine. That stuff'l clear yer head in no time!

Fais, you're gonna do what in a hole in the wall?  :))

Can you substitute the liquor and make a Margarita with Moonshine in it?
I know it works for gasoline in the bikes.
Not sure about Margarita's as I'm not sure it would freeze??

Assuming we can,,,, after a few, we would all know what it's like to ride the Turbo!!
  <even if the bike's not there>

Ride safe, Ted

I'll bring the Margarita Machine, but since I still ain't got a job (but have pretty much run out of savings... and the couch is clean,,, and undr the seat in the cars is all clean...) I'll be staying with Hub in Kerrpatch.  I'll be glad to make the Ritas, but I'll need help on supplies for them.  I hope to bring the starter round with me anyway.  ::)

The turbo is under reconstruction now. Long row to hoe still and spent today working on job paperwork (maybe?!?!?!)  so not far enough along to make me happy, but gaining.  Ruined an oil control ring trying to get the cylinders on. &*^*&%!!!!  But I wound up slapping four hose clamps on the function as ring compressors after robbing the oil ring off a dead soldier.  It will be re-deployed.
Cylinders%20back%20on%20with%20spacer_zpseklwjuhj.jpg

image4.png

The image should shift dates automatically as the ride approaches.

Craig

I had a previous commitment so cannot make the rally this week; however, I was there on Wed-Saturday.  The bluebonnets especially and on  Saturday the Indian Paintbrush also looked really good on 16 north and south of Llano.  Not much to speak of on 2323. 

Road Conditions if your are coming from DFW:  Tar and gravel was being placed on 67 beginning just west of Glen Rose - even though I turned south on 203 I got stuck in slow one-way traffic.  I was advised by others that the 220 connect to Hico has really bad grooves in it.  You can avoid all by taking 144 south to Walnut Springs.  Also south of Lometa, I believe where 580 turns into 581 or possibly where 580 turns into 501, the road is being totally repaved.  They have dug up all the asphalt.  You will experience a combination of hard soil with a little gravel and a shorter section of total gravel.  If its wet when you travel I would avoid for sure and just take 2005 from Hamilton to Goldtwaite and south on 16.     

Have fun and ride safe

Jeff (Triumph Tiger)

Rev
Find me and we will go get the fixings for your Ritas together.

Not sure who to chase without a Snyder in the mix.

Fairly sure I'll survive the weekend since I found a good supply of Ted repellent.

Steve
May chase you if your willing.  You were a hard target in Tennessee.

Mr Cowles,
Looking forward to seeing you.  No repellent required.

Jus another turkey here

Rev it seems like the rooms there have a couch in addition to a bed. If you can put up with a couch you are welcome to share with me.
Also I can help with the fixings.

DB Coopers parachute has finally failed.  In an effort to protect the names of the innocent and the masses in general no explanation will be forthcoming.  What this means though is I'm now without a room mate for this prestigious event.  Any interested parties please apply forthwith.  The standards are high.  Must be living breathing representative of COGdom.  Thick skin a plus.  If you snore expect to have things hurled at you without warning.  OH this one item is non negotiable. "NO ORANGE SHIRTS".  Thank you for your attention.  Now back to your regularly scheduled boredom.

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Not So Wild Turkey said:
DB Coopers parachute has finally failed.  In an effort to protect the names of the innocent and the masses in general no explanation will be forthcoming.  What this means though is I'm now without a room mate for this prestigious event.  Any interested parties please apply forthwith.  The standards are high.  Must be living breathing representative of COGdom.  Thick skin a plus.  If you snore expect to have things hurled at you without warning.  OH this one item is non negotiable. "NO ORANGE SHIRTS".  Thank you for your attention.  Now back to your regularly scheduled boredom.

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

If you drink enough margaritas I don't snore.  :D

I'll damage the margarita reserves but will probably end up with bourbon or scotch.

Not So Wild Turkey said:

So what you're saying is that George wussed out because of a little chance of rain on Sunday, huh?

Didn't say that.  He's got a valid reason this time.  Doesn't mean he's gonna escape a little ridicule

Not So Wild Turkey said:
Are you in search for a roommate rev?
Fred and Dan have accepted responsibility for me and offered me couch accoutrement status.  But I hate to torture only them.  ::) ::)

Your welcome to crash with me if you want.  I expect to arrive mid to late afternoon Thursday. 

Bigfoot_16 said:
Not So Wild Turkey said:

So what you're saying is that George wussed out because of a little chance of rain on Sunday, huh?

At least you won't have to worry about stopping for gas on a FJR led ride!!!!! ;D

I carry 2 small spare cans of fuel for those fjr rides.  I've affectionately named them George and Dan.

Steve Macha and I are planning to arrive in Hunt by 9:00 AM Friday morning so we can ride with other folks. Please keep us in mind for your Friday riding plans. We'll be riding from San Antonio on 16 that morning.

Will do but you know me.  Going to find an individual that ether doesn't know me or has no standards and follow them.  Don't know who, when or where.

Roger that, Robert. We'll see you sometime on Friday.

Do you know if Randy is planning to be there by Friday morning?

Looks like we are changing plans and arriving tomorrow, Thursday.  We were just going to come in Friday but this should up our chances of at least one dry ride day.  I am still hoping the mess is confined to over night Saturday and good homeward trip for everyone Sunday. 

Pamela and I have symphony Thursday night so we are coming Friday. It's St. Matthew's Passion by JSB or I would donate the tickets, hate to miss the great choral music and one of Bach's greatest compositions.

Craig

smithr1 said:
Oh Craig, just pull that up on YouTube in your room Thursday night.    :-[

Not the same!!!!  Obviously you have never been to the Morton Meyerson Symphony Hall......nothing recorded compares.

Originally we had tickets on Friday and moved them to Thursday so we could at least come to Hunt. Last year it was Stars playoffs....we did not have to worry about that this year.

Rev Ryder said:
I love Bach!

If I was the bellows boy and saw Bach coming in to practice the organ, I would hide.

Speaking of practicing the organ, he had twenty children! ;D

Desert island music, Bach and Bill Evans for me.

The river crossings weren't bad. Only one had water about six inches deep, so not bad. I hit it at about 35 MPH because I didn't see it soon enough, but it wasn't bad.

I'm home. I didn't stop for breakfast or lunch, just gas stops. It didn't rain on me at all.

I just talked to Ted. He and Judy are just over an hour from home.

I got home about 4:00 after stopping for lunch in Hamilton. When
Bigfoot and I left Kerrville we passed a few bikes then because there was traffic I passed 2 riders got back into the line.
I just a minute Bigfoot got antsy an roared out an passed about 15 bikes a took off. I stay content in the line. I thought I
I had joined our Goldwing bunch with a couple of Harleys. When we got to Fredericksburg  and stopped a rider asked me where I was going and I said Dallas he said we are also and you can ride with us. Then I realized I had broke into a Harley group and not our Goldwing
bunch. They went straight at the light and I turned right.

Butch, I'm glad to hear you made it home OK. The Goldwing group stopped at Mickey D's in Fredericksburg for breakfast. I saw them briefly before heading north to Llano on 16.

I thought you looked comfortable riding with the Harley riders. You mean you weren't? Ha ha.

Marty and Butch, thank you guys so much for organizing this great event and for the great meals Friday and Saturday nights. You guys rock!

Made it home, Safe, and also sound..
Not a drop of rain since leaving the River Inn...

Butch/Marty,,, ya'll did good!

Ride safe, Ted

Us Goldwing riders made to home just fine. No rain at all.
We saw Jim and Butch in Kerrville getting gas, then saw only Jim in Fredericksberg. Wondered what happened to Butch.
We stayed on 16 North past Strawn then headed East to Highland Village. Took several butt breaks and got home by 5:15.
Greg Redmond stayed with us but might have preferred a faster group.
Thanks to everyone for a great weekend. Thanks to Marty for feeding us twice.

Randy McCool

Thank you all for an awesome weekend!
Even though I didn't make it on Sat. night I had a great time. Thank you for organizing the event and the surprise dinner Friday night Marty and Butch it was great. I had to be back in DFW Sunday around the noon hour for work and I was worried about the river crossings is why I left early. I spent my Saturday riding day having fun with bell ringer wannabe's riding back and made it back in record time. I'm really looking forward to Alpine in October and my Wife may even join me this time.

It was great to see you again Andre.  Glad you made it home safe.  :beerchug:

And Martin and Butch, once again, pulled it off.  Well done men!

And Craig... you da man!  Or da bomb! Or sumpin' special like dat!  ;D

Hey Rev, did-ya notice,,,,
We were supposed to be stormed on as we headed to Houston, Dallas, and other places..    All arrived rain free.
You were supposed to have the best /driest ride to Alpine...  Ya arrived,,, Wet and Cold!

I think someone (Craig/Weatherman) put the curse on ya... (Sorry about that Fred)

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana:  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana:  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana:  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted  >:D

Hard to trust them weather guessers. ;)

We  went to the observatory earlier and are now in Comstock. Margarita time!
Hey, is 5 o'clock somewhere. Right?

Craig,
I'm saving the package until we get a chance to crack er open a wee bit together.

Ok Rev.  Here is what you do with the squirrels that can be trained.

https://youtu.be/l3Ya6z-NlDo

I took this Saturday with my cell phone.  I hope we got some Friday of the flowers but Leslie took them with a different camera and I keep forgetting to look at them.

Flat Dry Texas!

Attachments

• 337.jpg
    337.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 121
Last time I tried to get a squirrel to take a nut it jumped on my leg and almost took the wrong nut!  :mad: