• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2018 Big Bend- Davis Mountains Ride the Twisties 18th - 20th of October.

kv5e

South Central Area Director - COG 5063
Staff member
BBRTT is on schedule for the 18th through the 20th of October, 2018 in Alpine, Texas.

4490016468_7417386149_b.jpg

NEW VENUE THIS YEAR!!!!! This year Rally Central is located at the Highland Inn http://highlandinn.net/home with 20 rooms blocked @ $55 a night. Those rooms are released on the 18th of September so book ASAP. There is a choice of single king or two queen bed rooms. There's a fire pit for evening campfires and dining located near by. Call 432-386-7220 and speak to Sam about making registrations.

Highland Inn & Apartments
1404 East Hwy 90
Alpine, TX 79830

The Saturday Night Dinner Banquet will be held again at Judy's Bread and Breakfast, 113 W Holland Ave. across from the train station. Your ride entry fee includes the banquet dinner.

This is some of the best riding and scenery in Texas, and a fantastic place to learn about Texas Geology with no chicken strips.

COG Members $25 Registration
Non COG Members $35 Registration

The registration fee includes the Saturday Banquet with the registration link below.

https://cog.memberize.net/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&page=preview&pre=yes&emode=edit&eventID=252573

Come join us!!!!!!!!

Craig

Registered!!!!!!  All should be working for everyone to register.

6892561790_1976bf8af9_b.jpg

141030_tra_bigbend.jpg

Yes! Can’t wait to hit the road soon. I’m in 108* heat dreaming of brisk early morning twisties heading south toward Big Bend. So excited!

Nottacop said:
Yes! Can’t wait to hit the road soon. I’m in 108* heat dreaming of brisk early morning twisties heading south toward Big Bend. So excited!

Yep.........Big Bend is nurturing for the soul, psyche, and zen riding.

New venue makes it frugal and I hope there is a big turnout.

Is something wrong with the operator or the website? I can’t seem to register.
I reserved the double room for Crazy GoldWing Mike and I though.

I just checked and registration is working, you enter your email address since you are a forum subscriber and not your user name and PW.

Craig

Whoa, whoa, whoa, what’s this ride gonna be like without Rev? Sorry your not gonna make it Rev. see you next time. 😥

Paul B said:
Registration links not working for me.

I just checked the registration, and all appears to be working.  Can you be more specific about how it is not working?  Note, you do have to have pop-ups enabled.

As a forum subscriber, use email instead of user/password and see if that helps, please.

I was able to sign up for the Ark event.  Clicking on the registration buttons "member"  "non member" brought up the window to complete.  On the BB event neither button is opening another link.  I'll go and check it again.  Just checked it and still no other window brought up like the Ark event did.  I noticed at the very top there is a button stating "submit this event".  Seems like that is for the publisher/member doing the event.  ??

Paul B said:
I was able to sign up for the Ark event.  Clicking on the registration buttons "member"  "non member" brought up the window to complete.  On the BB event neither button is opening another link.  I'll go and check it again.  Just checked it and still no other window brought up like the Ark event did.  I noticed at the very top there is a button stating "submit this event".  Seems like that is for the publisher/member doing the event.  ??

I went and checked again and all appears to be working correctly.  Is it possible for you to send me a screen shot of what you are seeing to cog.membership.officer(at)gmail.com?

Don't think the screen shot will help because everything looks normal; however, when I select member registration (I've tried both) it does not bring up the pop up window for me to enter my information and update the cart.  The ONLY thing I see that is different is the "submit event" tab on this event at the very top of the page whereas the Ark event did not have this visible. Could this indicate something?

If I'm the only dunce having this issue, I'm happy to pay for the event via different method.  Just let me know. 

Paul B said:
Don't think the screen shot will help because everything looks normal; however, when I select member registration (I've tried both) it does not bring up the pop up window for me to enter my information and update the cart.  The ONLY thing I see that is different is the "submit event" tab on this event at the very top of the page whereas the Ark event did not have this visible. Could this indicate something?

If I'm the only dunce having this issue, I'm happy to pay for the event via different method.  Just let me know.

You're not a dunce! Memberize is very quirky so consider yourself registered and well take care of the bean counting in Alpine!!

Ride free,

Craig

Is this an annual event? If so, put me down on the "future, post-retirement, will-call list." I wanna go, but working too much at the moment.  :(

Paul B said:

Sounds like you have Pop-Up boxes blocked in your system.  You will have to enable them to be able to register for a paid event.  You do have another option of calling me and we can handle it over the phone.

Nottacop said:
Consider Crazy GoldWing Mike (Guest) and I going. We will pay at the event if that’s ok?

YES!!!!! See you there!

Vacation scheduled, registration complete, membership renewed. All I have to do is show up. Might be riding the Wing this year as the C10 is way over due for some serious maintenance is time is precious. Looks like I'll have Mo in tow this year. Looking forward to it as always.

Just signed up for the ride.  Will anybody be riding to the event from the Houston area?  Would like to ride as a group or at least partner up with someone for the event.  Thanks!

Great news, I'm in for sure. I'll be registering today. Looking forward to meeting everyone and getting back on these excellent roads. Take care and God Bless.

Mo :)

Man oh man!  Even Mo is going!?!? 

Sure wish I could come, but work has me locked down.  No twisites for Rev.  Y'all be safe and have my share of good times too.  :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Wish I could be there too.
Had to limit it to Arkansas or Big Bend.
Just got back from Arkansas. Wow!!

Ya'll have fun and ride safe, Ted

WHAT?  Another Big Bend ride without Ted?  Oh well maybe next time.  This will be my 5th ride in BB this year as this area is my back yard.  A new back tire is on the way so I will be able to let the little beast have it's head and RUN on those wide open roads.  Can hardly wait to see everyone.  Everyone be careful depending on your route in.  Oil field traffic has gotten totally crazy in this area.  Those sand haulers and water trucks think a stop sign is just a suggestion and turn signals are for wimps.  They are killing at least one a week on US 285.

Ride Safe
Lovelle

Lovelle, if Id know you wuz going to be there, I might have opted to go. {Mebbe}
But, I also have a Model T Tour I have to do this month, {and now} I've learned I have Jury Duty.  :-[

Everyone: "Gentle reminder. Watch your speed in/near Alpine.
                        They love to set up speed traps on each side of town...

Ride safe, Ted

I know I have been missing for a while.  I had hoped to make this and every other event.  It makes a good story maybe so I may put it in the magazine once it plays out.  Lets put it this way.  If you see me at a rally I will be very happy to be there.  Miss you guys and hope everyone stays well.  Here that Chuckles!

Hi, Everyone

I am new to events, rallys, & rides. Have never ridden much in twisties.
Have never been to Alpine, Texas. And, not spent much time on a bike in higher
altitudes.
        I have no idea at all about what type of clothing & outter wear to get for
this event and winter riding in North Texas in general. I am looking for and hoping
to get your advice & wisdom about which types of clothing & outter wear are good
for this type of riding. What is good? What is vital?

Thanks for your help.
frenche
Jeff French

frenche said:
Hi, Everyone

I am new to events, rallys, & rides. Have never ridden much in twisties.
Have never been to Alpine, Texas. And, not spent much time on a bike in higher
altitudes.
        I have no idea at all about what type of clothing & outter wear to get for
this event and winter riding in North Texas in general. I am looking for and hoping
to get your advice & wisdom about which types of clothing & outter wear are good
for this type of riding. What is good? What is vital?

Thanks for your help.
frenche
Jeff French

Howdy Jeff! Good questions!

October in Big Bend is one of the best riding months. Temps will vary depending upon where we ride.

As a general rule I use "layering" to mitigate temperature changes.

Mornings can be in the 50s to 60s in Alpine so I usually have a long sleeve tshirt, riding jacket liner, riding jacket, and riding pants (without liner).

In the afternoons and down near the Rio Grande, I shed the jacket liner and open the vents on the jacket.

Temps along the Rio Grande are warm in the afternoon.

I'll have a weather briefing a few days before so we can "dial in" the temps for the ride.

Layer in the morning, remove layers in the afternoon works great for most mountain desert riding in Texas ion the fall.

Ride free,

Craig

I didn't think to ask Sam what the room situation was at the Highland Inn, but I just cancelled my reservation so unless there's a waiting list there should be a room open. Hope you guys have a great time!

Frosty said:
I didn't think to ask Sam what the room situation was at the Highland Inn, but I just cancelled my reservation so unless there's a waiting list there should be a room open. Hope you guys have a great time!

Sorry we are all going to miss you this year. :'( :mad:

We have pics and a report to follow.

Ride free,

Craig

Will likely bow out as well.

Our tow vehicle & trailer backed out and a Monday morning business trip are going to make this year unlikely.

Craig, the weather looks terrible this week. Anyway to
Postpone this ride to another week? Like two weeks from now? If we act quickly we can still cancel our reservations.

Nottacop said:
Craig, the weather looks terrible this week. Anyway to
Postpone this ride to another week? Like two weeks from now? If we act quickly we can still cancel our reservations.

I really can't postpone this due to the purchased insurance for the ride and my time commitments. The rain during the weekend will not be 100% coverage and more like light stratiform rain. The models show light rain and not thunderstorms. The problem is the cutoff low parked at the four corners which is not going to move much during this time frame.

I am going, although I will likely trailer down there.

I suggest cancelling your reservations if you have doubts about riding in some rain over the four days of the event.

Always better to disappoint with the truth is my belief.

Ride free,

Craig

If you’re going then I am. As long as there isn’t snow on the ground then I’m in. 😝
Better double up on the waterproofing.

Thanks!!!!!! We can make lemonade out of lemons and I don't think it will be a total washout.  :beerchug:

Looks like back to DFW on Sunday will be rain free once you get out of the Permian Basin, and it looks to be light rain at most there.

Mo and I are both bowing out. He spoke with Sam at the Highlands Inn. Sam told him they were expecting snow tonight and tomorrow.  Paid my dues for fighting that kind of weather. If a miracle happens then maybe ride out Thursday. Weather between New Braunfels and Alpine doesn't look promising at all. Have fun guys, hope I'm wrong.

AirMonger said:
Mo and I are both bowing out. He spoke with Sam at the Highlands Inn. Sam told him they were expecting snow tonight and tomorrow.  Paid my dues for fighting that kind of weather. If a miracle happens then maybe ride out Thursday. Weather between New Braunfels and Alpine doesn't look promising at all. Have fun guys, hope I'm wrong.

Friday looks ride-able, Saturday scattered light rain.  - mid to upper 40s to lower 60s over the four day time frame.

I understand, its not snake eyes but its not Lady Luck either,

Next time Gents!

Ride free,

Craig

Still going but will trailer in.  All plan accordingly.  The roads there can get bad in places due to mud and gravel washing across the road from the hill sides.  Trust me, as I said this area is my back yard. 

Ride Hard / Ride Safe

Lovelle

wmytigas said:
Still going but will trailer in.  All plan accordingly.  The roads there can get bad in places due to mud and gravel washing across the road from the hill sides.  Trust me, as I said this area is my back yard. 

Ride Hard / Ride Safe

Lovelle

That's great advice! Rocks on the River Road on the blind off camber curves. :mad: :-\

Friday looks like a good riding day, there may be some scattered light rain on Saturday.

We may change the dinner venue on Saturday.....I'll advise when you sign in.

All be careful and pray for the folks in the Hill Country Flooding.

Ride free,

Craig

I was looking forward to attending my first COG event and meeting some Coggers, but alas but a virus will be keeping me home. Hope to make it next year.
Steve

I was really excited. But, have not yet bought outter wear for cold weather rain riding. No trailer or trailer puller. Hoping to make it next time. I am cancelling my reservation.
frenche
:-/

One, two, three, home free! It’s good to be home. That was one heck of a great weekend. Friday was clear and dry with an awesome ride near Big Bend. Saturday riding up through the scenic area around Fort Davis, up 17, across to Kent and down 118 and only getting rained on a couple times was also very nice. After a great dinner at Judy’s Bread and Breakfast I got a full eight hours. I decided to go with Ted the long way around to Fort Davis before going to Fort Worth as the roads (hwy 17) are much more scenic. Thanks again to Chuck, Pam and Marty for hosting. Looking forward to the next one.

A BIG THANKS to all who came to Alpine for BBRTT. The new venue is a bargain as far as price and next year I will bring a coffee pot for the morning coffee. Weather permitting, we will try to have a Friday night meal in additional to the Saturday night dinner at Judy's.

Craig

kv5e said:
A BIG THANKS to all who came to Alpine for BBRTT. The new venue is a bargain as far as price and next year I will bring a coffee pot for the morning coffee. Weather permitting, we will try to have a Friday night meal in additional to the Saturday night dinner at Judy's.

Craig

Well, if you're gonna provide coffee, I will have to make the trip next year for sure...  ;D

CaffeineMan said:
kv5e said:

Craig

Well, if you're gonna provide coffee, I will have to make the trip next year for sure...  ;D

sumatra.jpg

;D :great: :bravo_2:

A year should be enough time to save up the vacation time I burned going to the Three Sisters National and to save up the money that I burned buying my new C14.  ;D