• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2018 C-14 K&N Air Filter Question

daveward

Hello
I have a 2018 C-14 with almost 30,000 miles and I want to replace the air filter with a K&N.
Could somebody please provide the K&N part number for 2018 model.
my searches could only find up through 2014 models, not sure if it’s the same for 2018 model.
Thanks
Dave Ward
Altoona Pa

Hi Dave, (hey, I like that name ... of course, I am biased).

Are you set on going with the a K&N? I know some of our performance SMEs on this forum have not recommended it, but sticking w/ the paper-based one.

If yes, I believe your part no is KA-1406; the same as previous years.

I'd stick with OEM.

K&Ns tend to let a little too much in the way of fine particulates into the engine, and unless you're planning on frequent top-end rebuilds (like the drag bike crowd does) there's nothing to be gained by running one.

You can do a before/after oil analysis w/ OEM (measured at time of filter change) and K&N (measured at its service interval). If you see an increased level of silicates in the oil, there's your reason.

I'd stick with OEM.

K&Ns tend to let a little too much in the way of fine particulates into the engine, and unless you're planning on frequent top-end rebuilds (like the drag bike crowd does) there's nothing to be gained by running one.

You can do a before/after oil analysis w/ OEM (measured at time of filter change) and K&N (measured at its service interval). If you see an increased level of silicates in the oil, there's your reason.

Are you set on going with the a K&N? I know some of our performance SMEs on this forum have not recommended it, but sticking w/ the paper-based one.

I know many are opposed to K&N's but I have to disagree with the above. I'm not a mechanic or even very smart, my opinion is based on real world experience. I've run a K&N on every bike I've owned with no issues. I use them simply to keep from buying new filters, not hard to clean & reinstall just don't over oil them.

I installed a K&N in my C14 at 15,000 & now at 255,000 it has yet to show a problem because of this filter. I have even posted a oil analysis for 200K & recently for 250K, yes I'm still using the same filter.

The results are out there, look them & make your make a decision.

No I didn't watch the video.

99.9% sure all models are the same.

I know it’s not a motorcycle but I had a Toyota Tacoma and they have a secondary air filter that is not replaceable inside the intake ,when I put a K&N air filter in there it was pretty white and then after about 30,000 miles of driving and using the K&N in the air filter that secondary filter in the Tacoma was black I never used it again.

I know it’s not a motorcycle but I had a Toyota Tacoma and they have a secondary air filter that is not replaceable inside the intake ,when I put a K&N air filter in there it was pretty white and then after about 30,000 miles of driving and using the K&N in the air filter that secondary filter in the Tacoma was black I never used it again.
Now that’s interesting… Any larger particles, sand etc in second filter or just oil and dust do you think? Assuming you never collected anything in the second filter before with both conventional paper filters?

If I remember correctly, the k & n actually filters better the dirtier it gets. I've cleaned them dozens of times on the dirt car and they had so much dirt it made you wonder how they still breathed. But they did.

Now that’s interesting… Any larger particles, sand etc in second filter or just oil and dust do you think? Assuming you never collected anything in the second filter before with both conventional paper filters?
I dont recall anything in the secondary filter only that it Was dirty black looking instead of white.

There have been scientific analyses (multiple) of oiled-media filters (including K&N) with regards to the amount of fine particulates they allow to pass; an Internet search is your friend. If you live in a wetter, less dusty climate, you may be able to get away with using one without incurring excessive ring wear. If you live in the desert southwest I'd rethink that choice.

Good afternoon,
Thank you all to the very helpful replies to my first post. Lots of good discussion on the pros and cons of K&N filters. Most of my riding is 150 mile radius of Altoona PA, lots of back roads, mountains, plus we get frequent rains to wash the road service clean, no sand to contend with, mostly greenery until the leaves turn and fall, then conditions get a little dusty if it’s dry. The K&N is around $55 and not sure what the OEM costs, but I’ll check it out. Are there any other non-K&N and non-OEM brand recommendations worth considering?
Thanks
Dave Ward
Altoona, Pa