• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2018 Moonshine Lunch Run

MizzouMike

Rain Magnet
So is anyone planning on attending the 14th annual this year?

https://moonshine-run.com/Moonshine/

If I make it, this will be my 3rd time in 4 attempts (I missed it two years ago when work called me back 1/2 way there).

MizzouMike said:
So is anyone planning on attending the 15th annual this year?

If I make it, this will be my 3rd time in 4 attempts (I missed it two years ago when work called me back 1/2 way there).

Had both knees replaced in Dec in anticipation of getting back in time for this one.

This is the weekend prior to my event, so I'll be busy getting ready for that. Knocks me out!

Cliff  :beerchug:

I'll probably be there - camping at the farm on Friday.  I was at the very first one - and the second. Been there intermittently since then.  Did you know this was originally a COG event?

I did not know that....  I do recall AustinCityLimits inviting the COG forum to this event, but I did not make my first one until after Terry's passing (#7 IRC). 

spiderman said:
I'll probably be there - camping at the farm on Friday.  I was at the very first one - and the second. Been there intermittently since then.  Did you know this was originally a COG event?

Hey Mike,
I plan to go.  Why don't we ride together as you have to pass this way?
Chris

I live only 2.5 hours north of the event in Watseka, IL, so I plan to attend and bring a buddy, too.  If anyone is heading down from the north, I'm more than happy to have you meet up at my place and we can ride the rest of the way together. 

Hey guys check out yesterday's post on the Moonshine Lunch Run's website.
It's looking like 2018 will be the last year for this event.

It's really a community wide event with proceeds and donations supporting many of their organizations, volunteer fire departments, etc.
It's just too bad, really have to go now!

Thanks for that info....    This is a good event, but as with all things it takes a lot of effort to make these things happen.  I look forward to my moonburger and seeing everyone there.

Clem said:

Hey guys check out yesterday's post on the Moonshine Lunch Run's website.
It's looking like 2018 will be the last year for this event.

It's really a community wide event with proceeds and donations supporting many of their organizations, volunteer fire departments, etc.
It's just too bad, really have to go now!

When you say camping at the farm Mike. Is it the farm North of 70 a bit then turn right ride a bit then turn left. I camped at a farm but not sure if you are speaking of the same farm.  Randy, Kurt  Is this the same farm we met and Raz I believe you were there also :beerchug:

Clem, I don't know, I have not camped at the farm, but I know quite a few who do.

Pittsburgh_Clem said:
When you say camping at the farm Mike. Is it the farm North of 70 a bit then turn right ride a bit then turn left. I camped at a farm but not sure if you are speaking of the same farm.  Randy, Kurt  Is this the same farm we met and Raz I believe you were there also :beerchug:

This may not be the last Moonshine Lunch Run. At the bottom of their web page there is mention of a 15th annual run for April 2019. Maybe it isn’t over yet. :)

Two buddies and I rode down for this last year.

It was a total cluster - thousands of people, three and four wide in a mile long line....just to get to the hamburgers.

Literally.

It was a nice ride down, we got balled up in the traffic, as the store is at a small crossroads of two small county two-lane, pea-gravel roads with little to no parking. Bikes were lined up for a half mile on the main road into the event.

We looked around for a half hour and then trudged back out to the bikes and rode into the nearest town and ate some spectacular BBQ.

The banner picture on the web site mis-represents the actual vibe of the event; it's not a few hundred bikes casually parked around the front of the restaurant - it's more like the following
IMG_20170408_111448866_HDR.jpg

We were fairly close to the crossroads, there were people a long way out past us, but here is a picture of our parking location looking toward Moonshine.
IMG_20170408_110115391_HDR.jpg

While it's nice to have the reason to get the bike out and ride it down, maybe the organizers can do something more friendly to the huge crowds that are showing up for this nowadays.

Not intending to dissuade anyone from going, just providing a more recent perspective on the event and what you are getting into if you attend.

best

mqqn

Pittsburgh_Clem said:

Clem,
Here is a link for the directions. It is the same farm we were at.
https://goo.gl/maps/LwAa7oqyc1K2

Rasmith said:
Pittsburgh_Clem said:

Clem,
Here is a link for the directions. It is the same farm we were at.
https://goo.gl/maps/LwAa7oqyc1K2

That's what I thunk just wanted confirmation  Now if we don't work the weekend :)

Well it looks like the weather will warm up enough to make this trip possible. I'll be camping at the old family farm Friday night with a Marmot tent with an orange rainfly.  Bike will be a green Moto Guzzi Stelvio.  At Moonshine I'll be sitting in a camp chair across the road west from the store with a cooler sitting beside me.  I get there early so the bike will be parked very near the store and I'll probably leave about noon.  My name is Jeff and I'd be happy to see you folks there.  Don't let a little rain scare you away. 

I have altered my plans a bit.  I am now going to roll out to a friend's house 120 miles closer on Thursday night to get an early start and hopefully get an early start on Friday to avoid the rain on the way out.  Staying at the BestWestern in Effingham.

I am going to try and get to the store before 9am, and have my Moonburger for breakfast.  Due to other obligations and intense procrastination, I was not able to get the oil leak fixed on the C-10, so I will be rolling in on the HD.

I will then just push through the 400 miles home, and hopefully ride out of the rain into the cold..... 

Thanks Jeff for the update, I'll be rolling in that morning from Peoria, hoping for decent weather which has been hard to find so far this Spring.
I'll look for you and the Stelvio!

Thanks for sharing that Mike. I remember the 1st one with a small group of COG members including Ed Ostermeyer and Jerry Pagels. I'm thinking there were about a dozen of us but i could be wrong.  We met at Terry's garage in Casey, had some coffee and rode to Moonshine for a burger.  The next year the Honda ST group got involved and there were about 40 of us.  After that it grew very quickly and I didn't attend every year.  This year as usual I camped at the old family farm north of Casey on Friday night with a few others that I've grown to know over the years.  About 10:00 it started to storm and it was a pretty rough night.  I got up at 6:00 and hung around for a couple of hours but it didn't look like there was going to be a break in the weather for some time.  I decided I didn't want to ride to Moonshine in the rain and stand around eating a breakfast burger in the rain either so I just packed up and headed for home.  Apparently it cleared up late in the morning but I missed it.  Sorry to bug out on you so early. 
Although the Lunch Ride is officially over I will probably try to go there again next year on the second weekend of April and just see who might show up.  This thing might not be so easy to kill off for some of us hard core attendees. Take care Mike and I'll see you at the Spider in September.