• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2018 National in Kerrville TX

OMoaC

Call out to the SW Area COG. Roll call! The SC area is looking for some help to lead Group rides during the National. Who is attending and who would like to volunteer to help? Bet we can get you a Rally Volunteer T shirt out of the deal. The SC area have been great supporters and helpers in SW events. Time for some payback. Who's in? I already volunteered. Step up and be counted.
Mark Hartman
COG/SWAD
2017 OtP traveler

redline said:
I don't always volunteer but when I do, I'm all yours.

Let me know what you need  :)

Ted
Yes Sir you are. 1st Looking to run the OtP through your AO. Then the SC area is looking for some help leading group rides for the National. You'd be good at That. List started.  :great: :beerchug:

I might consider leading a group if there's a call for:

- slow C10
- don't know where we're going
- don't got a GPS, gotta stop to look at the Butler map 'cause I need bifocals but I'm in denial
- stop for coffee
- stop for BBQ
- drink bourbon and smoke cigars afterwards

'cause that's what I'm gonna be like.

;D

CaffeineMan said:
I might consider leading a group if there's a call for:

- slow C10
- don't know where we're going
- don't got a GPS, gotta stop to look at the Butler map 'cause I need bifocals but I'm in denial
- stop for coffee
- stop for BBQ
- drink bourbon and smoke cigars afterwards

'cause that's what I'm gonna be like.

;D
Sir, you are IN!

no worries,
for the rest of them:
I have a fast C14
I quit drinking and smoking, so i never stop
got a GPS but who cares where we're going - chasing the sunset
getting the coffee before the ride
forgot we're gonna be Texas - of course I stop for BBQ  :))
So I think we got something for everybody

redline said:
no worries,
for the rest of them:
I have a fast C14
I quit drinking and smoking, so i never stop
got a GPS but who cares where we're going - chasing the sunset
getting the coffee before the ride
forgot we're gonna be Texas - of course I stop for BBQ  :))
So I think we got something for everybody

Ha!  Let's be clear here.  Coffee is a must DURING the ride.  The cigar and bourbon is for back at the hotel!

So, now that my riding style hasn't disqualified me and I've gone and put my foot in it...  :-\

What's the setup going to be on the group rides?  This is kind of amusing.  I'm a National newbie, never ridden the area, and I may be leading a group ride.

Do I choose the route myself?  Do I work with rally team people?  I've actually ridden Hill Country when I lived in Austin for a couple years, but not this far south.

If I end up leading one, do I need to find someone to ride "sweep" whatever that is?

You've ridden with me Old Man, I'm a reasonable rider, but I mostly just head off into the desert.  ;D

If left to my own devices, I would probably:
- Research the route, including riding some piece(s) of it as I'll be in town several days early.
- Describe my riding style so people will know as much as they can what they're in for.
- Pick a start time and starting place.
- Pick rendezvous points (coffee, BBQ, photo ops), rather than try to keep a group tight together on the road the whole time.
- Pick a final rendezvous (if not the hotel) and wait there and count heads to make sure all made it, unless someone tells me ahead of time they're splitting off.

I volunteered for this partly as a way to meet people as a first timer at the National.

Kudos Brian.  That'll work.  If you need any road/route suggestions, there are a lot of guys here that ride the area that can help.  I lived in Kerrville for almost 20 years, just long enough to know there are few bad roads in the region.  And those would only be bad because they dead end. LOL

CaffeineMan said:
So, now that my riding style hasn't disqualified me and I've gone and put my foot in it...  :-\

What's the setup going to be on the group rides?  This is kind of amusing.  I'm a National newbie, never ridden the area, and I may be leading a group ride.

Do I choose the route myself?  Do I work with rally team people?  I've actually ridden Hill Country when I lived in Austin for a couple years, but not this far south.

If I end up leading one, do I need to find someone to ride "sweep" whatever that is?

You've ridden with me Old Man, I'm a reasonable rider, but I mostly just head off into the desert.  ;D

- Research the route, including riding some piece(s) of it as I'll be in town several days early.
- Describe my riding style so people will know as much as they can what they're in for.
- Pick rendezvous points (coffee, BBQ, photo ops), rather than try to keep a group tight together on the road the whole time.
- Pick a final rendezvous (if not the hotel) and wait there and count heads to make sure all made it, unless someone tells me ahead of time they're splitting off.

I volunteered for this partly as a way to meet people as a first timer at the National.

Brian, the rides are more geared towards being a "Group Ride" rather than a "Lead Ride"

We are going to have some written suggestions, but putting it in a nutshell, it will be up to the individual groups to decide what route they want to ride.  There will be a number of suggested routes provided by the Rally Staff, but if a group wants to do their own thing, then so be it.

The reason we are asking for volunteers is that someone needs to ride up front and navigate.  Trying to get someone to do this on the morning of the ride is time consuming, and some folks just don't want to ever ride in the lead. 

We are not going to send you out cold, if you volunteer, we will contact you prior to the rally and provide you the information you are asking.  At least I hope we can answer your questions.  :))

CaffeineMan said:

Brian, NP!

The briefings and data provided will be stellar. After riding in Big Bend, I see a Big Stetson on your helmet at the NAT!

Aye Cman. We'll rely on the Nat Rally committee to hook us up with routes. Thanx for putting your foot in  :beerchug: You put your right foot in you take your right foot out then you shake it all about.................Welcome to the Hokey Pokey (You just sang that song in your head didn't you?)  :) Ohhhh.... maybe a banquet night event???????????

Sweet!  Lots of support for this.  Sounds great!

And of course I thought of that song...

:great: