• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2018 Ride for Science

charlie gary

"Special" Assistant to the NWAD
I'm in.  Bob Rainey is trying to find out what's going on with meeting spots, so it looks like Starbucks in Issaquah.

Tim R

Staff member
I'm still in favor of meeting those on the eastside at Miners in Yakima. 

robertv

robzilla
Below is the plan so far!! Thanks for outlining this for folks who are just reading this thread. Weather outlook is looking positive and dry, but yes let's see how it is the week of when it gets closer.

Cheers!
Robert

Andy said:
Everyone,

Are we going to make this official? One day ride for all on the 13th? Let's do it!

West siders meet at Starbucks in Issaquah - 6170 East Lake Sammamish Parkway- between 7:00 and 7:30, plan on leaving at 8:00?

Meet others in Yakima at 11:00 at Miner's - 2415 South 1st Street -gives us time to fuel our bodies and bikes with plenty of time to get to LIGO for the 1:30 tour (reservations not required.)

Charlie & Grant - are you in?  Would you make your way to Issaquah or go over 410 and meet in Yakima?

Steve, are you and Bob still planning on this? Will you meet us in Issaquah or do you want us to pick you up on I-90 at the Fall City exit (you'll be going down 203, right?)

Tim, do you want to meet in Ellensburg and ride the canyon with us? We could meet in the Buzz Inn parking lot right off I-90 at Canyon Road.

So, what does everyone think? Go for it?  See you in two weeks? (Weather may cause us to cancel, we can make that decision on Friday the 12th.)

Andy

danodemotoman

COG# 2877 WAAAD
Oregon member mentioned he did not see this event on the NWCOG calendar.
I will likely ride over on WA 410 and meet the group for lunch in Yakima at Miners.

danodemotoman

COG# 2877 WAAAD
Will leave Enumclaw from MCD's at 9:30 AM to go over WA 410 and Chinook Pass to Yakima for lunch at Miners at 11:00 AM. Will get to MCD's about 9 AM for a cup of $1 coffee.

danodemotoman said:
I will likely ride over on WA 410 and meet the group for lunch in Yakima at Miners.

56taskforce

danodemotoman said:
Will leave Enumclaw from MCD's at 9:30 AM to go over WA 410 and Chinook Pass to Yakima for lunch at Miners at 11:00 AM. Will get to MCD's about 9 AM for a cup of $1 coffee.

danodemotoman said:

What's  MCDs? There is also Charles nice little diner at the very east end of towm.

danodemotoman

COG# 2877 WAAAD
Its called McDonalds !!!!
Figured eating at Charlie Restaurant so soon before will ruin my appetite for a Miners burger which are LARGE.

SidecarKen

If everyone has time to get gas before arriving  at miners it could be a smoother launch.

:truce:          :great:

Tim R

Staff member
I glued my broken mirror back together which was broken at the Ihop. It was broken inside and the ABS glue is holding.  :) 

Stupid mirror is on back order.

My plan is to ride the Connie with the tall windshield. I'm going to try to be at Miners at 11am with a full tank and a empty stomach. Looking forward to seeing everyone. Tim

56taskforce

I am hoping to have a friend from up north in Mill Creek tag along, is there anyone up that way that would be willing to meet up with him for the first part of the trip?

Biggus Dekkus

I live in Lake Stevens and plan to go on Saturday.  Get me their info and I'll arrange to meet up with them riding to our meetup location in Issaquah.

charlie gary

danodemotoman said:

danodemotoman said:

Hopefully there's no ice this side of Chinook Pass in the morning.  I've had to turn around in the past because of it.

Biggus Dekkus

There's nothing on the calendar to sign up for this ride.  Will we need to register for anything?  Or, is it just OK to show up at LIGO and they will provide a tour?

I talked to Bob Rainey, he plans to come over Friday eve and ride with us on Saturday.

danodemotoman

COG# 2877 WAAAD
Yes just show up.
After checking the expected temp for Chinook Pass @ 10AM it should be about 38 degrees. With shade in corners will be better not to do this route so not to be late in Yakima.
I am cancelling the meet in Enumclaw and will meet the other group in Issaquah.

AndyN

LIGO has free tours once each month, no reservations required. They just ask you be there ten minutes before the tour starts at 1:30.

Andy

Tim R

Staff member
Andy said:
LIGO has free tours once each month, no reservations required. They just ask you be there ten minutes before the tour starts at 1:30.

Andy

Question, is OCT 13th the day of the free once a month tour?

SidecarKen

You should be feeling better as I am feeling worse. I do not think I will make it. If I feel better I may ride straight to LIGO as this would shave
a good 2 hours off the ride for me.

56taskforce

Andy said:
Everyone,

Are we going to make this official? One day ride for all on the 13th? Let's do it!

West siders meet at Starbucks in Issaquah - 6170 East Lake Sammamish Parkway- between 7:00 and 7:30, plan on leaving at 8:00?

Meet others in Yakima at 11:00 at Miner's - 2415 South 1st Street -gives us time to fuel our bodies and bikes with plenty of time to get to LIGO for the 1:30 tour (reservations not required.)

Charlie & Grant - are you in?  Would you make your way to Issaquah or go over 410 and meet in Yakima?

Steve, are you and Bob still planning on this? Will you meet us in Issaquah or do you want us to pick you up on I-90 at the Fall City exit (you'll be going down 203, right?)

Tim, do you want to meet in Ellensburg and ride the canyon with us? We could meet in the Buzz Inn parking lot right off I-90 at Canyon Road.

So, what does everyone think? Go for it?  See you in two weeks? (Weather may cause us to cancel, we can make that decision on Friday the 12th.)

Andy
Getting ready to leave the house right now :motonoises:  See you in is Issaquah Andy :)

56taskforce

Hello ride for science riders, if you are interested in understanding what we saw at LIGO a little more find and watch the NOVA show Inside Einstein's Mind. I find it fascinating, it also explains exactly why black is the fastest Connie color. :rotflmao:
BTW had a great time would like to see us build on the ride for Science idea and possibly pick a new destination every year. I brought the idea up at lunch and someone mentioned  Grand Coulee dam, I thought that sounded like an excellent possibility what do you all think and are there other Northwest area members that like the idea of keeping the ride for science alive???

Tim R

Staff member
Sure, why not. Could meet in Grand Coulee for lunch. I know of a little restaurant/café not far from the dam. Or could meet in Wenatchee and try out the Hot Rod place.  Might want to think real hard for a Spring adventure as it won't be long now before snow on the pass.

I enjoyed seeing everyone and didn't even know there was place testing and measuring such things.

Tim R

Staff member
I checked the Coulee Dam website and they do offer tours. It appears the tour time changes so they only post up the schedule two months at a time.  Tim

robertv

robzilla
Great ride everyone! Awesome to see some new faces and bike including the weather working out in our favor! I was in agreement with the idea of a 'Ride for Science' yearly and think the Grand Coulee would be a good thing to shoot for 2019! Here's the website for reference and we can start talking and planning...

https://www.usbr.gov/pn/grandcoulee/visit/tour.html

AndyN

Agreed - a great ride that should be the inaugural Ride for Science!  Grand Coulee Dam sounds interesting; maybe we make it a two-day trip to catch the laser light show? Looking forward to the next ride.
Andy

Tim R

Staff member
Yeah, if you want to do the light show staying some place close for the night is smart. Not a great idea to travel after dark. Too many critters. There are some places to stay near by with the best being 4 stars out of 5.

charlie gary

Grand Coulee tours are currently abbreviated due to construction in the power generation portion.  I believe the tour is still limited to a small room overlooking some small stuff inside the west end of the dam and a small area on top where you can walk around and look over the edges.  Not the most impressive tour if you've had a chance to experience the full tour.  The Trail West motel is clean and fits a traditional COG budget if folks are inclined to stay in the area.
  Dry Falls is another cool place to visit.

Biggus Dekkus

In September, I was able to go on a special tour arranged by the IEEE.  We were able to go places the general public tours aren't able, and the IEEE group got to see a generator that was down for maintenance with the rotor removed and the stator exposed, that was impressive.  If you want to arrange Grand Coulee for 2019, maybe I could get a special tour for our group.  It would require pre-registration and advance screening, so planning ahead is necessary.

Tim R

Staff member
Steve, that sounds rather interesting. It would be great if it could be arranged.  ;)

red fox

Charlie_Gary_AAD said:
Grand Coulee tours ...

I'd be interested in this, or the dry falls.
Hopefully scheduled in first 1/2 of summer so the wild fire risk, of motel space being used up by firefighters, is lessened.

charlie gary

Red Fox said:
Charlie_Gary_AAD said:
Grand Coulee tours ...

Hopefully scheduled in first 1/2 of summer so the wild fire risk, of motel space being used up by firefighters, is lessened.

Either/or?  Why not a grand adventure getting both?

Tim R

Staff member
Charlie_Gary_AAD said:
Red Fox said:
Charlie_Gary_AAD said:
Grand Coulee tours ...

Either/or?  Why not a grand adventure getting both?

You are correct, it would not be all that hard to do on a lovely day.

56taskforce

It is time to start re visiting the ride for science idea. Maybe we could make it the ride for science/history this would keep it educational and open it up for more ideas.  Whatever happens with this one it was a great time and I would like to see it become tradition.

Tim R

Staff member
Problem might be finding local lodging that normal people will stay at. Could stay in Omak and ride over the pass on 155 to the Coulee dam.

56taskforce

TimR said:
Problem might be finding local lodging that normal people will stay at. Could stay in Omak and ride over the pass on 155 to the Coulee dam.

In post #79 Charlie mentioned the TrailbWest , he says it's  clean with reasonable rates...

Tim R

Staff member
Unfortunately the reviews are not all that great. Clean but run down with uncomfortable beds  is what I got reading the reviews. 

charlie gary

TimR said:
Unfortunately the reviews are not all that great. Clean but run down with uncomfortable beds  is what I got reading the reviews.

I spent the night there when the Germans came to town.  Way better than the Motel 6 in Salt Lake City.  Not a lot of choices in that neck of the woods.

Tim R

Staff member
Way better than the Motel 6 in Salt Lake City.

Ha! That would have not been very hard to do.

I am not going to get a motel there anyways because I live only 50 miles away.

56taskforce

Too bad my great uncle Merwin has passed, he was the last Grand Coulee Dam employee that was there during construction.  He lead us on a tour when I was a teenager that was awesome, he had long been retired at the time but was still granted full access to anywhere I. The dam.

56taskforce

Ok I know it's not easy to come up with destinations that are both fit educational theme and make for a good ride but another possibility to keep this going is like Mike Row's show Dirty Jobs if any NW members have a job in an  obscure location that would be a great ride and could provide and interesting tour please step forward  :great:
This was a good ride that I believe should be continued...

robertv

robzilla
I'll add the following since we discovered this on a recent trip around eastern OR/WA, the Goldendale Observatory. Since it's more of a late afternoon/evening type of ride, maybe could be added to a St. Helens(volcano) or some ride to finish off.

http://www.goldendaleobservatory.com/visit.html

Also not sure if folks would like to do the LIGO tour again as some probably missed it, but I'm thinking of doing this soon either in August or September before the fall season arrives.