• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2018 Ride for Science

mobilewill

A bit early but I came up with an idea today. I realized that one of the LIGO Observatory is right here in Washington! I thought it would make for a great ride destination. LIGO is what detected the gravitational waves that was in the news recently. I pick up my bike this weekend and have been thinking about future rides. I haven't organized rides before so this would be a first and hopefully I can get some help with how this all works.

LIGO: https://www.ligo.caltech.edu/WA/

They do free tours of the observatory. I think this could be a good 1 day or weekend ride. Depends when they do tours.

https://goo.gl/maps/SuSb8YGqYBC2

Thoughts anyone?

Very cool! I'm in and riding in eastern WA is actually pretty good. Looking at the site, next public tour is November 11th. The only issue I see is getting over the Snoqualmie pass for the western side folks. Others might not have too much issue if they're already on the eastern or southern areas. A good morning and lunch stop would be good for a day ride as the public tour starts at 1p.

Not sure how to get this going and if you can add it to the calendar as a forum subscriber. Either way, word of mouth from here or Meetup site is an idea.

Any AAD and the AD can add the event to the NW calendar.
Provide me with the details, date/time/contact info and I will add it. If possible what are the restrictions if any of entering the area?
Meeting at a retail location like a restaurant of convenience store is helpful.
Camping or motel info for the prior night? Depending on meet time.

Originally I was thinking next year but the 11th might work. Wonder how weather would be in November? See how the bike pick up goes this weekend, 1600 miles in 2 or 3 days.

If this takes off I have a large flatbed trailer that would easily haul five maybe more bikes and my Duramax has five seats. I would be willing to haul a group over the pass for the ride. Anyone interested PM me early so we can make provisions and ensure every bike can be properly tied down and protected.

Hey, cool - this LIGO is local to me! 

If schedule/route works, you could combine this with a riders meal at my local food/drink place,
West Richland Golf Course - has restaurant / bar.  Like 10 miles from LIGO. 
This fall or next year, either.  If the meal thing doesn't work - it's all good!

Grant said:
If this takes off I have a large flatbed trailer that would easily haul five maybe more bikes and my Duramax has five seats. I would be willing to haul a group over the pass for the ride. Anyone interested PM me early so we can make provisions and ensure every bike can be properly tied down and protected.

The November 11 date sounds good to me.  I also have an enclosed trailer that can haul 2 or 3 bikes and pickup truck with seating for five if more of us west-siders  want to attend this.  I'm up in the north end (Lake Stevens), Grant where are you located?

NinjaBreadMan said:
Grant said:

The November 11 date sounds good to me.  I also have an enclosed trailer that can haul 2 or 3 bikes and pickup truck with seating for five if more of us west-siders  want to attend this.  I'm up in the north end (Lake Stevens), Grant where are you located?
I am in Roy between Tacoma and Olympia...

Wow, that's great you guys have trailers for the bikes! Next 2 weeks is getting colder and wetter, so if this ride happens then the trailer option will have to do to get over the pass. Or we can plan for next year!

I vote for planning this for next year. I got the bike safely home but I need to take it in for service. The right fork is leaking oil on the brakes.

The weather doesn't look real good for the 11th. I vote doing this in the spring time too.

Awesome idea! I'm a science teacher and talk about LIGO with my students. I add my voice to those saying Spring. Having just driven over the pass yesterday I know I will not be riding my bike over anytime in the next 4-5 months. But organizing an April-ish ride sounds fantastic!!

Count me in.

MobileWill said:
A bit early but I came up with an idea today. I realized that one of the LIGO Observatory is right here in Washington! I thought it would make for a great ride destination. LIGO is what detected the gravitational waves that was in the news recently. I pick up my bike this weekend and have been thinking about future rides. I haven't organized rides before so this would be a first and hopefully I can get some help with how this all works.

Take a look at the Calendar and pick a date.  I will be happy to help you get it on the calendar and you can take it from there!

Kari

MobileWill,

The LIGO site is only five hours from Boise.  It's on boring interstate roads, but still, I'll definitely be interested in this for a ride this spring.

Thanks for posting!

Guess you're new to COG.  What bike did you buy?

wasabi said:
Looking at the calendar June is open, I could make it the 1st two Saturdays
In May we have the Bun Cooler

Once we get a date nailed down, I'll see if we can't get a personally guided tour.  I know a guy who knows a guy.

Charlie_Gary_AAD said:
wasabi said:
Looking at the calendar June is open, I could make it the 1st two Saturdays
In May we have the Bun Cooler

Once we get a date nailed down, I'll see if we can't get a personally guided tour.  I know a guy who knows a guy.

Who knows a guy..... A tour would be pretty neat!

Hey everybody, how about a date and a plan? I'm still in and think this would be great. Don't want this to die a natural internet death. Let's have it live, or kill it! I vote for living.

I agree, would like to get this on the calendar. Another rider posted a spring ride idea (Fossil to Shanilo) on the weekend of March 23-25. If that falls through, I would love to see this Ride for Science happen as a backup, or maybe align these 2 rides together if the weather works out.  >:D

:motonoises:

I vote to make it happen. We need more Northwest rides even if I can't make it every ride gives more options and the Northwest  calendar is the emptiest of all the regions.
We have a very short riding season here in the Northwest but some of the greatest destinations in the country, Let's Ride!!!

I live in Pasco. Was in Wenatchee couple of weeks ago and had the same inspiration when I stopped at the HotRod cafe. (That it would be a good place for a ride to eat.)
Lets make this happen. I would be happy to work together to plan the event.

I would be willing to pitch in some help for an RTE because I'm only a hour north of Wenatchee. There are a number of good places to eat in Wenatchee and the surrounding area which includes the HotRod Café.  Tim

Making this a RTE would be awesome!  Any thoughts on possible dates for this? Obviously it's still winter around here as our weather reminded us these past few days.

Been snowing all day here. Funny AccuWeather on my phone has said that there will be a snow flurry in 15 minutes all day and it's been updating every half hour LOL

I think Rufus was referring to doing a separate RTE to Wenatchee. I could be wrong. But there is probably a good place to eat close by. I think Red Fox mentioned something for the ride for Science.

The weather, cold front here and it's cold cold cold. My dog Pee Wee is hanging out with the heater. Good thing is I know the warmer weather is coming. I noticed the days are getting longer.  :) March is around the corner. A new front tire for the other bike arrived today. 

Just a thought for those who are real busy on a Saturday....who says we can't do it on a Sunday. No matter what day someone won't be able to play. The weather is starting to look a lot better. I hope the snow is done for the front half of the year. We should start thinking on this real hard. Idea's? Tim

DITTO
Was a date set? Decide and put on calendar.

Salish14 said:
Hey everybody, how about a date and a plan? I'm still in and think this would be great. Don't want this to die a natural internet death. Let's have it live, or kill it! I vote for living.

Ok Gary; the passes are open we know this for sure as we are here at the Bun Cooler lets ride brother ! Just a little bump to ensure this doesn't get lost...

Seeing how I'm already missing the rides with friends and waiting is definitely getting harder, bringing this up to see what folks think!

Would love to get this in before the summer ends. Maybe time it with a ride thru Ellensburg/Vantage area for the west side folks. I found this suggested ride idea from SoundRider last year that I did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfxkBjUfWl0

As fall is upon us, trying to gauge interest but also hopefully weather and schedule works out. Next tour date is October 13th...

https://www.ligo.caltech.edu/WA/page/lho-public-tours

Hoping to get in the 1st tour at 1:30p as we would need to head back afterwards since daylight is also running short, thinking maybe meeting in Issaquah Starbucks (across from Fred Meyer) for a quick coffee and/or breakfast 7 to 7:30ish, then rolling by 8a. There's an ethanol-free station Grange across from I-90 motorsports south of Starbucks for those coming from other areas.

Rest break in Ellensburg, then head thru Yakima Canyon road and lunch/fuel stop somewhere in Yakima. Then off to Hanford tour stop. Afterwards up for suggestions with some slabbing moments or back roads as time and daylight allows.

Thoughts, interest, company?

Robert

If weather permits I am interested. May also depend on replacement of some riding gear, my size in what I want is out of stock everywhere right now.

Don't need the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) to observe the effects of gravity on a Connie.  :(

Though, that would be a very interesting place to visit.
I wonder if snow would prevent me making it to that event?

Hoping those on the central/eastern side can help suggest lunch in Yakima area.  I was planning to take exit 34 (E Nob Hill Blvd) as there are some fuel stations in that area according to the map, but for food not sure so some experienced folks pls let us know good options if possible. Otherwise could just do Safeway for lunch and meeting spot especially those in the south and eastern areas to join us.

After lunch/fuel, taking Hwy 24 to 240 to LIGO.

TimR said:
Interested but also need meet info in Yakima. Tim

danodemotoman said:
Meet info to be added later in Yakima for those in the south areas?

I'll keep tabs on this thread, that would be amazing.  Hopefully the weather will hold well enough to ride from Hood River. 

Only ate there (Yakima) once on a NWCOG ride to eat several years ago
Miners Restaurant:
https://roadfood.com/restaurants/miners-drive-in/

That's funny Dan, I was thinking of suggesting the same thing. It's been awhile since I ate at Miners though...be hungry. Tim

Everyone,

Are we going to make this official? One day ride for all on the 13th? Let's do it!

West siders meet at Starbucks in Issaquah - 6170 East Lake Sammamish Parkway- between 7:00 and 7:30, plan on leaving at 8:00?

Meet others in Yakima at 11:00 at Miner's - 2415 South 1st Street -gives us time to fuel our bodies and bikes with plenty of time to get to LIGO for the 1:30 tour (reservations not required.)

Charlie & Grant - are you in?  Would you make your way to Issaquah or go over 410 and meet in Yakima?

Steve, are you and Bob still planning on this? Will you meet us in Issaquah or do you want us to pick you up on I-90 at the Fall City exit (you'll be going down 203, right?)

Tim, do you want to meet in Ellensburg and ride the canyon with us? We could meet in the Buzz Inn parking lot right off I-90 at Canyon Road.

So, what does everyone think? Go for it?  See you in two weeks? (Weather may cause us to cancel, we can make that decision on Friday the 12th.)

Andy

I'm in.  Bob Rainey is trying to find out what's going on with meeting spots, so it looks like Starbucks in Issaquah.

Below is the plan so far!! Thanks for outlining this for folks who are just reading this thread. Weather outlook is looking positive and dry, but yes let's see how it is the week of when it gets closer.

Cheers!
Robert

Andy said:
Everyone,

Are we going to make this official? One day ride for all on the 13th? Let's do it!

West siders meet at Starbucks in Issaquah - 6170 East Lake Sammamish Parkway- between 7:00 and 7:30, plan on leaving at 8:00?

Meet others in Yakima at 11:00 at Miner's - 2415 South 1st Street -gives us time to fuel our bodies and bikes with plenty of time to get to LIGO for the 1:30 tour (reservations not required.)

Charlie & Grant - are you in?  Would you make your way to Issaquah or go over 410 and meet in Yakima?

Steve, are you and Bob still planning on this? Will you meet us in Issaquah or do you want us to pick you up on I-90 at the Fall City exit (you'll be going down 203, right?)

Tim, do you want to meet in Ellensburg and ride the canyon with us? We could meet in the Buzz Inn parking lot right off I-90 at Canyon Road.

So, what does everyone think? Go for it?  See you in two weeks? (Weather may cause us to cancel, we can make that decision on Friday the 12th.)

Andy

Oregon member mentioned he did not see this event on the NWCOG calendar.
I will likely ride over on WA 410 and meet the group for lunch in Yakima at Miners.

Will leave Enumclaw from MCD's at 9:30 AM to go over WA 410 and Chinook Pass to Yakima for lunch at Miners at 11:00 AM. Will get to MCD's about 9 AM for a cup of $1 coffee.

danodemotoman said:
I will likely ride over on WA 410 and meet the group for lunch in Yakima at Miners.

danodemotoman said:
Will leave Enumclaw from MCD's at 9:30 AM to go over WA 410 and Chinook Pass to Yakima for lunch at Miners at 11:00 AM. Will get to MCD's about 9 AM for a cup of $1 coffee.

danodemotoman said:

What's  MCDs? There is also Charles nice little diner at the very east end of towm.

Its called McDonalds !!!!
Figured eating at Charlie Restaurant so soon before will ruin my appetite for a Miners burger which are LARGE.

If everyone has time to get gas before arriving  at miners it could be a smoother launch.

:truce:          :great:

I glued my broken mirror back together which was broken at the Ihop. It was broken inside and the ABS glue is holding.  :) 

Stupid mirror is on back order.

My plan is to ride the Connie with the tall windshield. I'm going to try to be at Miners at 11am with a full tank and a empty stomach. Looking forward to seeing everyone. Tim

I am hoping to have a friend from up north in Mill Creek tag along, is there anyone up that way that would be willing to meet up with him for the first part of the trip?

I live in Lake Stevens and plan to go on Saturday.  Get me their info and I'll arrange to meet up with them riding to our meetup location in Issaquah.

danodemotoman said:

danodemotoman said:

Hopefully there's no ice this side of Chinook Pass in the morning.  I've had to turn around in the past because of it.

There's nothing on the calendar to sign up for this ride.  Will we need to register for anything?  Or, is it just OK to show up at LIGO and they will provide a tour?

I talked to Bob Rainey, he plans to come over Friday eve and ride with us on Saturday.

Yes just show up.
After checking the expected temp for Chinook Pass @ 10AM it should be about 38 degrees. With shade in corners will be better not to do this route so not to be late in Yakima.
I am cancelling the meet in Enumclaw and will meet the other group in Issaquah.

LIGO has free tours once each month, no reservations required. They just ask you be there ten minutes before the tour starts at 1:30.

Andy

Andy said:
LIGO has free tours once each month, no reservations required. They just ask you be there ten minutes before the tour starts at 1:30.

Andy

Question, is OCT 13th the day of the free once a month tour?

You should be feeling better as I am feeling worse. I do not think I will make it. If I feel better I may ride straight to LIGO as this would shave
a good 2 hours off the ride for me.

Andy said:
Everyone,

Andy
Getting ready to leave the house right now :motonoises:  See you in is Issaquah Andy :)

Hello ride for science riders, if you are interested in understanding what we saw at LIGO a little more find and watch the NOVA show Inside Einstein's Mind. I find it fascinating, it also explains exactly why black is the fastest Connie color. :rotflmao:
BTW had a great time would like to see us build on the ride for Science idea and possibly pick a new destination every year. I brought the idea up at lunch and someone mentioned  Grand Coulee dam, I thought that sounded like an excellent possibility what do you all think and are there other Northwest area members that like the idea of keeping the ride for science alive???

Sure, why not. Could meet in Grand Coulee for lunch. I know of a little restaurant/café not far from the dam. Or could meet in Wenatchee and try out the Hot Rod place.  Might want to think real hard for a Spring adventure as it won't be long now before snow on the pass.

I enjoyed seeing everyone and didn't even know there was place testing and measuring such things.

I checked the Coulee Dam website and they do offer tours. It appears the tour time changes so they only post up the schedule two months at a time.  Tim

Great ride everyone! Awesome to see some new faces and bike including the weather working out in our favor! I was in agreement with the idea of a 'Ride for Science' yearly and think the Grand Coulee would be a good thing to shoot for 2019! Here's the website for reference and we can start talking and planning...

https://www.usbr.gov/pn/grandcoulee/visit/tour.html

Agreed - a great ride that should be the inaugural Ride for Science!  Grand Coulee Dam sounds interesting; maybe we make it a two-day trip to catch the laser light show? Looking forward to the next ride.
Andy

Yeah, if you want to do the light show staying some place close for the night is smart. Not a great idea to travel after dark. Too many critters. There are some places to stay near by with the best being 4 stars out of 5.

Grand Coulee tours are currently abbreviated due to construction in the power generation portion.  I believe the tour is still limited to a small room overlooking some small stuff inside the west end of the dam and a small area on top where you can walk around and look over the edges.  Not the most impressive tour if you've had a chance to experience the full tour.  The Trail West motel is clean and fits a traditional COG budget if folks are inclined to stay in the area.
  Dry Falls is another cool place to visit.

In September, I was able to go on a special tour arranged by the IEEE.  We were able to go places the general public tours aren't able, and the IEEE group got to see a generator that was down for maintenance with the rotor removed and the stator exposed, that was impressive.  If you want to arrange Grand Coulee for 2019, maybe I could get a special tour for our group.  It would require pre-registration and advance screening, so planning ahead is necessary.

Charlie_Gary_AAD said:
Grand Coulee tours ...

I'd be interested in this, or the dry falls.
Hopefully scheduled in first 1/2 of summer so the wild fire risk, of motel space being used up by firefighters, is lessened.

Red Fox said:
Charlie_Gary_AAD said:
Grand Coulee tours ...

Hopefully scheduled in first 1/2 of summer so the wild fire risk, of motel space being used up by firefighters, is lessened.

Either/or?  Why not a grand adventure getting both?

Charlie_Gary_AAD said:
Red Fox said:
Charlie_Gary_AAD said:
Grand Coulee tours ...

Either/or?  Why not a grand adventure getting both?

You are correct, it would not be all that hard to do on a lovely day.

It is time to start re visiting the ride for science idea. Maybe we could make it the ride for science/history this would keep it educational and open it up for more ideas.  Whatever happens with this one it was a great time and I would like to see it become tradition.

Problem might be finding local lodging that normal people will stay at. Could stay in Omak and ride over the pass on 155 to the Coulee dam.

TimR said:
Problem might be finding local lodging that normal people will stay at. Could stay in Omak and ride over the pass on 155 to the Coulee dam.

In post #79 Charlie mentioned the TrailbWest , he says it's  clean with reasonable rates...

Unfortunately the reviews are not all that great. Clean but run down with uncomfortable beds  is what I got reading the reviews. 

TimR said:
Unfortunately the reviews are not all that great. Clean but run down with uncomfortable beds  is what I got reading the reviews.

I spent the night there when the Germans came to town.  Way better than the Motel 6 in Salt Lake City.  Not a lot of choices in that neck of the woods.

Way better than the Motel 6 in Salt Lake City.

Ha! That would have not been very hard to do.

I am not going to get a motel there anyways because I live only 50 miles away.

Too bad my great uncle Merwin has passed, he was the last Grand Coulee Dam employee that was there during construction.  He lead us on a tour when I was a teenager that was awesome, he had long been retired at the time but was still granted full access to anywhere I. The dam.

Ok I know it's not easy to come up with destinations that are both fit educational theme and make for a good ride but another possibility to keep this going is like Mike Row's show Dirty Jobs if any NW members have a job in an  obscure location that would be a great ride and could provide and interesting tour please step forward  :great:
This was a good ride that I believe should be continued...

I'll add the following since we discovered this on a recent trip around eastern OR/WA, the Goldendale Observatory. Since it's more of a late afternoon/evening type of ride, maybe could be added to a St. Helens(volcano) or some ride to finish off.

http://www.goldendaleobservatory.com/visit.html

Also not sure if folks would like to do the LIGO tour again as some probably missed it, but I'm thinking of doing this soon either in August or September before the fall season arrives.