• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2018 Wing

zg

:popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple:

A great quote from that link...

"1) Rigid - The robust front suspension components don't flex when we hit potholes, road imperfections or small animals."

A lot of refinements and innovations in the rumored reports. The DCT is superior to the shift assist from other manufacturers. Steep hill waiting for the light to turn green? You hold only the brake and twist the throttle when ready to go. Dedicated reverse gear! I think there will be a lot of older Hondapotamuses on the dealers' floors next year

What's old is new... I have the same front end on my 2001 BMW k1200lt. It's a great front end, too, great ride quality, and it doesn't dive when braking. 

Steve

Works for me.  Has most of the list I've been keeping concerning what I want in a new Wing since I bought my 1800 new in 2003.  Guessing it'll probably meet all my other "wants" too.  Just put my Wing for sale on Craigslist, eBay and Cycle Trader, and OfferUp.  I'll be standing in line with a checkbook as soon as the formal announcement hits late October I'm thinking.  It's been a looooooonnnngggg wait.    :beerchug:

Attachments

• 2017-09-25 16.32.45.jpg
    2017-09-25 16.32.45.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 174
Very nice. I wonder how much lighter it might be. Maybe the F6B will get reverse, cruise and ABS on this version.

WingCon said:
Works for me.  Has most of the list I've been keeping concerning what I want in a new Wing since I bought my 1800 new in 2003.  Guessing it'll probably meet all my other "wants" too.  Just put my Wing for sale on Craigslist, eBay and Cycle Trader, and OfferUp.  I'll be standing in line with a checkbook as soon as the formal announcement hits late October I'm thinking.  It's been a looooooonnnngggg wait.    :beerchug:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/d/2003-honda-goldwing-1800-abs/6321162073.html

I figured you'd get in line WC!  :great:

I'll wait until they hit shops, but I as well am really considering trading in my 2016 for one...  :??:  >:D

Just Cliff said:
So what color do you have ordered Jay?

Cliff  :beerchug:

;D  :beerchug:

Not sure on color buddy but I would definitely want the blackout package, I'm not a fan of chrome...  :sign0137:

I like the matte grey color scheme they show on the F6B with the blackout package, so hopefully they have that for the Wing as well, that way it still matches our Unigo trailer.  :great: :great:

Will they release the bike the same way as the twin and Crosstourer? Very limited number of DCT models or was that more a result of the earthquake that ravaged the Honda factory? The guys with the DCT Twins have no regrets about missing a clutch handle or foot pedal.

By the promotional photos, it looks like the Wing has gone on a serious weight loss program.  The other thing I noted, was the reduction in the amount of buttons all over the fairing to a few buttons and knob to steer the LCD display.  Overall, it looks well thought out and not such a two wheeled boat.

KellyfromVA said:
By the promotional photos, it looks like the Wing has gone on a serious weight loss program.  The other thing I noted, was the reduction in the amount of buttons all over the fairing to a few buttons and knob to steer the LCD display.  Overall, it looks well thought out and not such a two wheeled boat.
Call me old, but if the final product looks similar to what's been leaked, I think that is a darn good looking machine.  It actually looks like a reasonably sporty ride.  I know some of that is my age, but I think my motorcycle fund may be used to save for a new generation wing.

ZG said:
WingCon said:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/d/2003-honda-goldwing-1800-abs/6321162073.html

I figured you'd get in line WC!  :great:

I'll wait until they hit shops, but I as well am really considering trading in my 2016 for one...  :??: >:D

Have a deposit down and am on the waiting list at four dealers.  Best price gets the order October 24th.  Coffee and free breakfast during the event at dealers in Olympia and Tacoma.  Please-  HP 160+, cornering ABS, traction control, riding modes, TPMS, gear indicator, more storage, electric windscreen, even better handling (if that's possible), bluetooth, traffic and weather displays, 48+ mpg, DCT, ventilated seat, accessible filters, less plastic, removable storage, built in power outlets, good stereo, weight reduction, and RV seeking missiles. 

Some Technical Information

Exhaust
To create an exhaust sound worthy of the new Gold Wing, a new structure was designed for the sequence leading from the muffler to the exhaust pipe, ensuring an appropriate sound quality. The No. 2 and No. 3 exhaust pipes (left to right from the rider’s view) have a 20-percent smaller diameter.

Transmission
For transferring power to the rear wheel, the 2018 Gold Wing and Gold Wing Tour models are available with a six-speed manual transmission or Honda’s advanced seven-speed automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT), each with innovations for ease of use and an overall quieter, more enjoyable riding experience. Honda is the powersports leader in DCT, having debuted it on the 2010 VFR1200F and since adapted, refined and expanded it to other motorcycles (including the award-winning Africa Twin adventure motorcycle) and premium ATVs and side-by-sides. The third-generation seven-speed DCT is new for 2018, but based on the same technologies.

As the name indicates, DCT uses two clutches that are controlled by sophisticated electronics and hydraulics. One clutch, which rides on a hollow outer shaft, controls odd-numbered gear sets (1,3,5,7); the other clutch rides on an inner shaft and controls even-numbered gear sets (2,4,6). Multiple gears are engaged simultaneously so that the transmission is constantly prepared for the next shift. Data, collected by a series of sensors, is processed by the ECU, which uses an advanced algorithm to determine when the shift-control motor should electronically trigger gear-changes. At those moments, one clutch disengages and the other engages, resulting in shifts that are quick, smooth, and seamless.

There are several benefits to Honda’s DCT: It changes gears quicker and more smoothly than is possible with a manual transmission; it frees the rider from clutch and gear-shifting operations so that he or she can focus more on acceleration, cornering, braking, or other riding-related tasks.

In the case of the new Gold Wing, the DCT also features a new Walking Mode, with creeping speed for situations like maneuvering the motorcycle around a parking space. In Walking Mode, one clutch enables forward movement, and the other clutch enables rearward movement. In either direction, engine speed is controlled by the Gold Wing’s new throttle-by-wire system, and clutch engagement is ideally modulated. Walking Mode speeds are limited to 1.1 mph (1.8 km/h) in forward direction and .75 mph (1.2 km/h) in reverse direction, with the rider easily controlling the system through the + and – buttons on the left handlebar switch.

For the DCT models, engineers have devised a special chain-and-gear system that utilizes DCT shafts for the reverse function, thereby eliminating the need for a traditional mechanism.

On the DCT models, high-strength materials have enabled engineers to minimize the face-width of each gear. This, in addition to the removal of a) the reverse idle shaft needed for a conventional transmission system, and b) the auxiliary equipment previously needed for the electric reverse mechanism, have resulted in a compact engine that weighs 8.4 lbs. less (3.8 kg) than the outgoing power unit. In addition, this latest-generation DCT improves performance through damper rubbers that reduce shift noise, realizing a shift feel worthy of a flagship model. There are three distinct additions, including fork-shaft dampers, a master-arm damper, and DCT clutch-center damper.

The first of these innovations, the fork-shaft dampers, are affixed to both ends of the fork shaft. This results in a suppression of the noise that is generated when the edge face of the fork shaft, which supports the shift fork that moves the gears during shifts, strikes the engine case, a situation that occurs when energy is released during shifts. The second innovation, the master-arm damper, works much the same, mitigating any sound created when the master arm strikes the stopper pin that regulates its movement. Meanwhile, the DCT clutch-center damper—a spring damper installed between the clutch and the main shaft—absorbs torque and reducing noise caused by the engagement between dogs and the clutch during shifts. Thanks to a good coordination between clutch control and the new throttle-by-wire system, it was possible to decrease shift shock and shorten shift time, especially in Sport mode.

Gear ratios are new, with the lower gears characterized by close ratios for a narrower change in engine speed and driving force when shifting gears. Meanwhile, the taller gears have a wide ratio for lower engine speeds at high-speed cruising.

Gearbox updates are not limited to the DCT, as the six-speed manual transmission also features a cam damper between the clutch and transmission for reduced noise and shock, as well as enhanced durability. Compared to the previous five-speed manual transmission, this six-speed gearbox enables lower engine speeds when cruising at 60 mph (100 km/h), which creates a quieter overall riding experience. Each manual-transmission model now comes equipped with an assist and slipper clutch, as opposed to the previous generation’s hydraulic assist clutch. With this mechanism, clutch operation load is reduced by 20 percent, and shift shock has been reduced during downshifting. For the reverse mechanism, the electric starter motor is used just as it has been in the past.

There is no reverse mechanism on the 2018 base Gold Wing model.

Starter
In another weight-saving measure, all Gold Wing and Gold Wing Tour models feature an Integrated Starter Generator system (ISG), which integrates the generator and starter-motor functions into one component. This incorporation allowed for removal of the starter motor and starter-system wiring, achieving a weight savings of 5.3 lbs. (2.4 kg). The system also reduces noise during starting.

TECHNOLOGY

Honda has fully modernized the Gold Wing models with the introduction of a cutting-edge electronics package, highlighted by a new throttle-by-wire system. Multiple riding modes are now available, as is Honda Selectable Torque Control (Gold Wing Tour models), Hill Start Assist, an optimized cruise-control system and Combined Braking System (CBS) with ABS, each a tool for comfortably employing and taking advantage of the Gold Wing’s improved performance.

The four riding modes available on all Gold Wing models are Tour, Sport, Econ and Rain, each with distinct settings that help tailor the riding character of the motorcycle for the specific riding conditions. In each of these modes, the throttle, and (where applicable) torque-control settings, DCT shift schedules, and suspension damping, are changed. The process of switching modes is completed when the rider totally closes the throttle grip.

Tour Mode
The default riding mode on the new Gold Wing, Tour mode is capable of dealing with the most wide-ranging conditions. This setting achieves a good balance between the outstanding comfort characterized by a touring model, and the dynamic performance potential of this new bike. The stress-free riding character enables powerful acceleration with throttle operations when climbing a hill and offers appropriate response to other changes in the terrain, while curbing engine speed at low levels. The DCT models faithfully respond to the rider’s acceleration demands through automatic downshifting at the appropriate moment (according to the accelerator position). When the motorcycle’s ignition is turned off and then on again, the bike will automatically return to Tour mode.

Sport Mode
This mode enables the rider to fully enjoy the improved dynamic performance of the new Gold Wing models, made possible through the lighter package. Sport mode features more powerful acceleration thanks to sharper responsiveness. With DCT models, the automatic-shifting schedule enables the engine to climb to higher speeds. While combined braking bias is relatively unchanged in the other three modes, Sport mode applies more pressure to the rear when the front brake is applied.

Econ Mode
This mode gives expression to the riding character as recommended by Honda when riding in a relaxed manner on roads in cities and suburbs. Through the mild acceleration and deceleration characteristics and the suspension’s soft damping characteristics, more relaxed cruising is possible. In the automatic modes of the DCT model, the shifts occur at low engine speeds, also contributing to improved fuel efficiency.

Rain Mode
Rain mode is intended for riding in low-grip situations, such as on wet and/or dirty roads. The mode provides acceleration and deceleration characteristics that—in comparison to Econ mode—are even milder in response to throttle operations, with added torque control. With DCT models, the shifts occur at low engine speeds.

Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC)
Designed to help the rider manage rear wheel slip, Honda Selectable Torque Control calculates the slip ratio of the rear wheel by measuring the vehicle-speed signal of the non-contact ABS wheel-speed sensors. When slip is detected, the system steps in through adjustments to the throttle valve and fuel injection, in combination. HSTC is available on all Gold Wing Tour models.

Hill Start Assist
Another innovation for 2018, Hill Start Assist is available for the first time on a Gold Wing model, making it simpler to resume riding after stopping on an ascent. When HSA is activated in such situations, and the rider releases the brake, the ABS modulator generates hydraulic pressure on the rear brake caliper, and the motorcycle will not roll backward if the rider uses the throttle to move forward within three seconds. Throughout the entire process, an HSA indicator will illuminate on the right side of the Gold Wing’s new 7-inch liquid-crystal display.

Cruise Control
Already available on the previous-generation Gold Wing but now ideally calibrated thanks to the incorporation of a throttle-by-wire system, Honda’s cruise control works to deftly manage a set speed in varying conditions, such as when traveling up a hill. For easy reference, the rider’s set speed is clearly shown in the lower left area of the meter.

Smart Key
The special feel of the all-new Gold Wing is illustrated by a new Smart Key. To start the engine, the rider only needs to have the Smart Key in his or her possession and to turn the main switch knob to the right, then press the start switch. To stop the engine, the switch knob must be turned to the left. Owners can also lock the steering by turning the handlebars while simultaneously turning the switch knob one more position to the left. As an added feature, the main switch knob will glow when the owner approaches the bike with the Smart Key in his or her possession.

For security purposes, it is possible to turn the Smart Key off.

Miscellaneous
The 2018 Gold Wing is outfitted with Vehicle Viewfinder, meant for helping to locate the motorcycle (in large parking lots, for example). To activate, one must press and hold the Smart Key call button, which will activate the motorcycle’s hazard flashers and activate the horn.

The Gold Wing’s Tire Pressure Monitoring System has also been updated. Rather than only indicate when pressure drops below a certain level, TPMS on the Gold Wing Tour models constantly communicates pressure via numerals in the bottom left of the meter.

In a first for two-wheel category, all Gold Wing models are now compatible with Apple CarPlay, which enables the rider to access Apple Music and Maps, make phone calls, and send messages, all through the bike’s TFT display or with his or her voice through Siri. CarPlay requires use of a Bluetooth headset.

The meter itself is composed of an analog speedometer on the left, an analog tachometer on the right, and a 7-inch full-color Thin Film Transistor (TFT) liquid-crystal display that provides infotainment-related information such as audio and navigation app icons. The screen is also where the rider confirms settings for systems like HSTC and electric preload adjustment. The switches themselves, used for selecting settings and controlling the systems, are now more centrally located in the console area.

An optional feature for 2018, the Home Link System is a convenience when rides are just beginning or coming to an end, as it enables the rider to program the motorcycle with garage-opening and -closing remote-control information. The rider need simply press the button on the center console, and the garage will open or close, while a light on the ride side of the meter indicates the operation.

All 2018 Honda Gold Wing and Gold Wing Tour come equipped with heated grips, while the Gold Wing Tour models also feature heated seats as standard equipment.

SUSPENSION

The sporty character of the new Gold Wing models will have riders searching for the next set of tight, twisting corners, and the new suspension solutions are meant to help tackle these sections of road with increased confidence, while still providing unparalleled comfort on the highway. All new for 2018, the Gold Wing manages this task through a unique double-wishbone front-suspension configuration and Pro-Link® rear-suspension design. Both suspension systems use Showa shocks, with the Gold Wing Tour models featuring electric preload adjustment for easily selecting the appropriate preload setting, depending on if a passenger and/or luggage are being carried.

On the Gold Wing Tour, front and rear damping force are electrically adjusted, with a stepping motor moving the needle in each system to control the oil flow rate and adjust front/rear damping force to mode-specific settings. On each Tour model, these suspension settings are linked to individual riding modes and do not change until a new riding mode is selected. On the Gold Wing Tour models, preload settings are displayed in the lower-right corner of the easy-to-read 7-inch TFT display. There are four electric preload settings to choose from.

Lots of great stuff, no doubt, especially the suspension.  Mostly everything I could hope for, but a couple observations (Other than the disorganized and stumblebum presentation.)

A 40 liter reduction in storage, 110 liters from 150.  Wife and I both have doctorate degrees in long distance packing, and even with a luggage rack we struggle. 

Zero info on HP and torque comparison to existing Wing, and review below says "not much more power".  Rumors say an increase of 5HP.  If this thing underperforms (based on just raw acceleration) the GTL, that would be unsettling to put it mildly.  The GTL curb weights at under 800 pounds and probably has another 40 HP than the new Wing. 

Passenger seat doesn't look as comfortable but that's speculation.

No mention of "Cornering ABS" but I may have missed that.

Ya, I know the sound is of little importance, but from what I can hear they're trying to make it sound like a Harley without the potato.  Just what we need, more obnoxious sounding bikes

Will a sleeker bike increase sales despite knocking almost a third off of cargo and taking out a gallon of gas despite mpg increase?  Dunno. 

So now I've gone from definitely to probably to maybe to think I'll pull my deposit and mull this over.  Is that depression I feel settling in?  Reliability, power, storage, comfort, and handling is what the Wing has always been about to me.  Looks like they just ruined three of the five IMHO.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/10/24/2018-honda-gold-wing-first-ride-review-11-fast-facts/

40 liter luggage reduction is equivalent to taking away a side case on the Connie. Increased the rear tire width and added 2 gears with the DCT, 1 with standard transmission. Don't get it; website still lists the F6B Leftovers?

Watched it.  No mention of engine capability other than some increased midrange.  A whole 5-8 HP bump is what I'm hearing.  Also no mention of storage reduction.  "What lies beyond" is going to require more than 110 liters of storage, a degraded seat, a weak engine, and loud pipes.      I'm NO fan of Beemers, but the GTL weighs under 800 pounds with 160HP.  Pulling my deposit today and will wait until I can actually touch and test ride one before I make my decision. 

ZG said:

WingCon said:
Watched it.  No mention of engine capability other than "increased power".  A whole 5HP is what I'm hearing.  Also no mention of storage reduction.  "What lies beyond" is going to require more than 110 liters of storage, a degraded seat, a weak engine, and loud pipes.      Pulling my deposit today and will wait until I can actually touch and test ride one before I make my decision. 
Even if the HP gain is only 5HP, with the weight reduction, I would think it noticeable.  Maybe not noteworthy or worth a huge price increase, but I would assume you could feel the difference.

The reduced storage is definitely a turn off on a bike intended to be ridden for days and days.

You mentioned a degraded seat, where did you see/evaluate the new seat to be a step down/backwards?

Not questioning your assessment, just wanting to hear the point of view from someone who's ridden the previous model(s) for a long time.  I've been on a 2012 and a 2016 model so I have some idea of what they feel like and are capable of,  but I have only ridden them less than 500 miles each, so I don't come from a standpoint of extreme familiarity.

I've never been interested in the gold wing lineup, coming from sport oriented type bikes but I have to admit I like what Honda did to it.  Someday I might just be ready for something like that.  Its more of a sport touring bike now. I'm currently riding a 2016 Yam 1300 FJR and enjoying it but its hard to tour 2 up with much gear I'll admit.  Mark

I agree Runnerb0y, would probably feel "some" power increase, but not what I was hoping for. 

As far as the seat goes, my observation is subjective from looking at it and from the review on ulimatemotorcycling.com  I'm not too concerned about a narrower rider seat, that's probably a good idea as Honda says about getting your feat more firmly on the ground, especially as I only have a 30" inseam.  But for my wife who rides with me 90% of the time the seat looks much more narrower and upright.  The upright part I'm sure is to keep her more out of the buffeting area which is good, but it certainly can't along with a narrower seat be more comfortable.

As I've already lamented about.  The pass seat, the lack of a real power increase, not just some but significant storage reduction, and what seems to sound like a loud lawnmower, and pulling a gallon of gas out of the tank despite mpg increase really makes me scratch my head after 34 years of riding Goldwing.  I was not hair-triggered to be disappointed with this machine, I've expected to fall off my chair with excitement for years waiting for this event.  So much to love about this bike, but so many showstoppers.  Very sad.

By the way, are you the guy I pulled into a pancake house parking with in Portland a number of years ago at my first COG event with Dan Stombaugh?

WingCon said:
I agree Runnerb0y, would probably feel "some" power increase, but not what I was hoping for. 

As far as the seat goes, my observation is subjective from looking at it and from the review on ulimatemotorcycling.com  I'm not too concerning about a narrower rider seat, that's probably a good idea as Honda says about getting your feat more firmly on the ground, especially as I only have a 30" inseam.  But for my wife who rides with me 90% of the time the seat looks much more narrower and upright.  The upright part I'm sure is to keep her more out of the buffeting area which is good, but it certainly can't along with a narrower seat be more comfortable.

As I've already lamented about.  The pass seat, the lack of a real power increase, not just some but significant storage reduction, and what seems to sound like a loud lawnmower, and pulling a gallon of gas out of the tank despite mpg increase really makes me scratch my head after 34 years of riding Goldwing.  Think I may need therapy. 

By the way, are you the guy I pulled into a pancake house parking with in Portland a number of years ago at my first COG event with Dan Stombaugh?
Good observations and thanks for the additional clarifications on the seat, especially the observations about the passenger's differing body position.

I also agree that it does seem counter intuitive to reduce (significantly) the fuel capacity on a bike that is built to ride all day long.  I guess the engineers have to make compromises and the "less fuel" camp must have won out.

Hold off on the therapy, who knows, maybe when you get your hands on one of these things you'll change your mind about enough of the issues to think it is a decent upgrade.

Yes I am the guy you met on that COG ride that Dan hosted.  I've been sporadic on the site and on riding.  I've spent the last year training for a couple Ironman events that I finished in June and July.  I'm going to back away from that type of training and spend the majority of next year's riding season, doing what is much more fun than training 17+ hours/week..... RIDING a bike (the powered kind).  Hope retirement is treating you well.  Hope to be able to meet a few PNW COG folks next year at some events.

WingCon said:
Pulling my deposit today and will wait until I can actually touch and test ride one before I make my decision.  [/font]

I'm surprised you're doing a 180 so soon Joe? 

Luggage capacity shrinking is stupid I agree, but I think it's still about the same as the K1600GTL isn't it?  :??:

As for the seat, looks like an improvement to me, now has optional rider backrest, the passenger backrest is a more upright position which IMO is a good thing, we switched our oem Wing seat for the Ultimate seat and the passenger backrest is more upright as well, mama likes it better and also less buffeting.

Hi Jay,

Narrower seat seems to me to equate to more uncomfortable for the pillion.  Interesting that they're already offering a custom $1,000 upgrade.  That must mean something.  Narrow for me is fine, but not for a pass. 

Ya, the GTL has 115 liters, but I'd never buy a GTL for that and other reasons.  They do have an impressive 160HP motor though, don't know why all the "vunderkinds" at Honda couldn't have figured out how to do that?

Don't remember my 1100 storage capacity, but my 1500 had 190 liters, my 1800 had about 145 liters, and now 110 liters. 

The attempt at slimming down for aerodynamics, weight, and profile, to try and attract a younger demographic has resulted for me anyway, unacceptable storage, unacceptable pillion seat, unacceptable engine performance, and unacceptable fuel tank size. (Despite the claimed 22% increase.)  And of lesser importance, what seems like, just from the video only, sound akin to something between a Harley with a balanced crankshaft and a 1964 Triumph Bonneville.  :).  Another "younger crowd" feature I suppose. 

Also too many still unanswered questions, power ports for vests?  Tip over protection?  USB power in trunk and saddlebags?  Cornering ABS? 

Yes, many many great (if already long in the tooth technology) upgrades here: Suspension, riding modes, traction, electronics suite, and freakin finally... TPMS, gear indicator, and electric screen. 

However, even though they said during the demonstration that they want to keep their current wingers, or win them back, they're predominantly reaching out to a younger crowd.  Ask the next 27 year old biker you know if he's happy with only enough storage for a couple days, spending upwards of 30K, and riding around on an underpowered (relative to what's avail out there now) couch.  Yep, I said couch, a slimmed down one, but still a couch to younger upcoming rider.  (Full disclosure, I love the couch.)

I have a lot of loyalty to Honda, been riding bikes for 46 years, including 7 Hondas, but I think their attempt to attract two very different crowds is going to continue the descending sales curve line down while it flatlines in a few years. 

And I also don't buy the track test claims that the bike "roars" out of the corners due to increased midrange.  That's not what the just released HP and torque overlay chart shows.  Methinks more it's editors sucking up to Mother Honda to keep those advertising $ coming in.

Just my 2 cents, but WTH do I know.

Pulling my deposit tomorrow, and will wait to see what I can touch when something finally ends up at a dealer in the spring.

ZG said:
WingCon said:
Pulling my deposit today and will wait until I can actually touch and test ride one before I make my decision. 

I'm surprised you're doing a 180 so soon Joe? 

Luggage capacity shrinking is stupid I agree, but I think it's still about the same as the K1600GTL isn't it?  :??:

As for the seat, looks like an improvement to me, now has optional rider backrest, the passenger backrest is a more upright position which IMO is a good thing, we switched our oem Wing seat for the Ultimate seat and the passenger backrest is more upright as well, mama likes it better and also less buffeting.

I knew something was missing; thanks Wingcon. No tip over bars!  :-[ There's a weight reduction. And a serious detriment for owning a $25k bike. Removable trunk not really valuable. Can you imagine carrying that into a motel room? But that could account for an increase in fuel mileage. A top case decreases my mileage by 5 MPG.  Another accessory to buy if you go GW without the touring package. And if the chrome rack for the trunk is $350, what would the removable trunk cost?

Over all, I think they did a good job. As for tip over bars, there appears to be some hard points below the engine case and just below the front of the saddle bags.

Couple issues I see is the reduction in storage space and fuel capacity. It's a touring bike, can never have enough.

Also, they have stuck with the 16" rear and 18" front, only a few tire manufactures make the current size tire.

As far as appealing to the current owners, good luck. The majority of the comments on the GW forums are in favor of not changing anything, why fix it if it is not broke type mentality. I think Honda is looking towards the new GW riders that may have been on the fence.

RoadKillHeaven said:
Cornering ABS? What for?
Can you even corner GL1800?  :rotflmao:

You should rephrase your statement more clearly.  Better translated it would read:  "I've never driven an 1800 Wing".  Your reaction will be the same as everyone who never has, and then rides one in the twisties.  They handle beautifully.  And I'm sure the new one is even more spectacular regarding the cornering arena.  I owned a C14 for six years, and I track a gsxr6 so I have good "other bike" benchmarks. 

Cornering ABS is a new technology that releases just enough braking force when tipped over to keep the front wheel from even starting to lose traction.  As opposed to waiting for it to start losing traction.  The reason this is important is for the same reason I see  the sides of the racetrack littered with bikes every track day I attend.  It's called "tuck", where the bottom of the front wheel flips out away from the turn 'cause there's just too much force on the contact patch to maintain traction. 

The "argument" against this will be the same as the original anti-ABS arguments I'm sure.  "I'm good enough to handle these events on my own, I don't need this newfangled technology."  Fair enough, but anything that keeps me safer is a good thing in my book. 

Good point on the weight of the tipover bars.  How much of the 80 pound reduction does that account for?  A couple of my issues are fixable with the aftermarket or OEM farkles I'm sure will start hitting the interweb in the spring. Seats and crash guards.  An improved engine no.  I don't care how proud the engineers are about engine size and an 8 pound diet and two more valves.  Ya I know, more forward seating position by 3/4".  (More due to the front suspension, not the engine.)

Storage.  That'll be a tough one.  Interesting to see what anyone comes up with.  Bigger saddlebags and trunk would cost really big bucks and add lots of weight.  Luggage rack-  I already use one so that's a zero sum addition.  I suppose if I ever do end up getting the bike It'll be easy enough just to carry soft bags into the hotel like we always do.  It would be nice to pop it off for day rides though.

Diz said:
I knew something was missing; thanks Wingcon. No tip over bars!  :-[ There's a weight reduction. And a serious detriment for owning a $25k bike. Removable trunk not really valuable. Can you imagine carrying that into a motel room? But that could account for an increase in fuel mileage. A top case decreases my mileage by 5 MPG.  Another accessory to buy if you go GW without the touring package. And if the chrome rack for the trunk is $350, what would the removable trunk cost?

MotoCommuter said:
Over all, I think they did a good job. As for tip over bars, there appears to be some hard points below the engine case and just below the front of the saddle bags.

Ya, saw those.  Wonder if they'll stop the bike at 45 degrees with no damage like my current Wing?  Dunno. 

WingCon, thanks for your explanation. However, keep your judgement regarding other people to yourself. Thank you very much.
My comment was aimed at people who understand innocuous sarcasm.

Cheers...

Remember everyone, this is just text. You can't accurately read emotion and intent in text.
We are all trying to be friends here who love the same hobby.

RoadKillHeaven said:
WingCon, thanks for your explanation. However, keep your judgement regarding other people to yourself. Thank you very much.
My comment was aimed at people who understand innocuous sarcasm.

Cheers...

Huh?

WingCon said:
MotoCommuter said:

Ya, saw those.  Wonder if they'll stop the bike at 45 degrees with no damage like my current Wing?  Dunno. 

I looked closely at the introductory video and the "hard points" appear to be Top Block imitation sliders. The rear set is mounted on the tail pipe assembly, the front are on the engine cases. Really question their effectiveness.  But I really like the look and other improvements of the new Wing.

WingCon said:
Storage.  That'll be a tough one.  Interesting to see what anyone comes up with. 

If not on a trip the storage capacity will suffice for day rides and commutes, for longer trips just hook up the Unigo and more than double the capacity.  :great: :great:

Our current Unigo will match nicely the new grey color scheme.  :)

Yeah but a Uni-Go is pretty pricey plus you'll have to add the trailer hitch. My 2012 GL 1800 will easily haul clothing for two for an extended (2-3 weeks).

Many, if not most, of these "improvements" (particularly the infotainment stuff) could have been phased in over the past decade (the GL1800 was introduced in 2001).  The suspension upgrade addresses a long known issue and GWRRA members have long wondered why the windscreen wasn't electric. I'm unimpressed with the "sound."  I really like that my bike is almost inaudible from 80' away.

I guess the handwriting was on the wall when Honda introduced the F6B; a stripped-down "performance" 'wing. ::)

ZG said:

No it won't, it's off by just a little bit. You better preorder a complete set of plastic. Call the paint shop.

MrPepsi said:
ZG said:

No it won't, it's off by just a little bit. You better preorder a complete set of plastic. Call the paint shop.

:)) :)) :))   

Hope all is well buddy, been too long since I saw you last!  ;D :beerchug:

Ranger Jim said:
Yeah but a Uni-Go is pretty pricey plus you'll have to add the trailer hitch.

I scored my Unigo for $1500, $ well spent, it's awesome for hauling all our camping gear, I can't imagine trying to camp (glamp  :truce:) with out it.  :great:

ZG said:
:)) :)) :))   

Hope all is well buddy, been too long since I saw you last!  ;D :beerchug:

Summer 2018, hope to make a trip up on Razzi, but you may have to ride to Bend to visit us. :)

This pic was posted on the goldwingdocs.com forum.  It's without the tupperware.  Look independently mounted.  If they'll stop the bike at about 45 deg or so with zero damage like my '03 then that's good.  However, there are NO tip over bars in the rear to protect the saddlebags.  Part of the vaunted weight savings.  Without those rear tip over bars, that's going to be an expensive saddlebag lid replacement, and even worse if aftermarket or OEM comes out with deeper saddlebag lids.  So get on the job aftermarket and get ready to lose some mpg and power/weight ratio.

Aside, looks like I'm going to have to wait years for aftermarket or OEM bag solutions.  Engine, well that's not fixable. I'm not getting any younger, just ask Jay.  Just got my deposit refund from the dealer.  :'(  My '11 Connie had 158HP and got 47mpg two-up after the flash. (Admittedly 150 lbs less.)

Attachments

• IAmAZo3.jpg
    IAmAZo3.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IAmAZo3.jpg
    IAmAZo3.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 138
Have you found the Wing under powered WC? I ride occasionally with a GW; it's always been 2 up for the bikes. He can pass slow moving vehicles on narrow  2 lane roads with very short passing zones. Admittedly; it isn't 160 HP like the K1600GTL but the Wing won't cost $1200 for a service call. I had an 06 Wing whose cruise control was dead on pulling at 75 up a 4 mile hill on PA interstate 80. It did 110 across Kansas where the wind never stops. I was never the fastest bike on the road but I got where I wanted. Knowing Honda, most riders would find the new engine too boring cause it's too smooth. The loss of luggage space though is a crime.

Diz said:
Have you found the Wing under powered WC? I ride occasionally with a GW; it's always been 2 up for the bikes. He can pass slow moving vehicles on narrow  2 lane roads with very short passing zones. Admittedly; it isn't 160 HP like the K1600GTL but the Wing won't cost $1200 for a service call. I had an 06 Wing whose cruise control was dead on pulling at 75 up a 4 mile hill on PA interstate 80. It did 110 across Kansas where the wind never stops. I was never the fastest bike on the road but I got where I wanted. Knowing Honda, most riders would find the new engine too boring cause it's too smooth. The loss of luggage space though is a crime.

I always bristle at hearing crank HP on a shaft bike.  :pokestick: K1600GT/GTL/B = 133hp at the wheel. Makes it seem a whole lot slower, yea?  ;D

*runs away*

Well guys I think I've made the decision to go ahead and get one of these, am gonna either sell our 2016 Wing or trade it in, the new 2018 Wings are spose to hit dealers in February, I guess now I just wait and keep reading all the great stuff about them!

https://youtu.be/pQLtH4dFA6M

:)  >:D

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
What's old is new... I have the same front end on my 2001 BMW k1200lt. It's a great front end, too, great ride quality, and it doesn't dive when braking. 

Steve
[/quote

The Japanese, being as history shows, probably made significant improvements on it. It’s probably going to be a fantastic bike but it’s way outa my paygrade.

Diz said:

Good question.  Have a found it underpowered for touring purposes?  No.  Am I disappointed in what should have been much more thrilling acceleration on solo day rides out with some riding buddies?  Yes.  This day and age I shouldn't need a stable in the garage for different purposes.  That's a dissapointment, but not a show stopper.  Also, what happened to the existing 1800 tip over bars to protect the saddlebags?  (Up goes the weight.)

The saddlebags most definitely are showstoppers.  Soon as someone fixes that, I'm on board.  Deeper lids with deeper liners that won't fall out before you close the deeper lids is what I'm thinking; either OEM or aftermarket.  (Also a trunk rack that covers most of the top of the trunk, not just a little tiny one on the front half of the trunk lid, to be able to strap down a sizable trunk bag.)

Oh, and as one more aside.....  where are the vest power ports ((powerlet/BMW style), that can also be used for a battery tender), and where are the lane intrusion warning flashers on the mirrors?

Congrats Jay!  Please post the final deal if you care to.

ZG said:
Well guys I think I've made the decision to go ahead and get one of these, am gonna either sell our 2016 Wing or trade it in, the new 2018 Wings are spose to hit dealers in February, I guess now I just wait and keep reading all the great stuff about them!

WingCon said:

ZG said:

You'll end up getting one too Joe, you just don't know it yet...  ;)  >:D  :)

I think I'm gonna go with the DCT Goldwing in the silver with the blackout and add the Tour trunk with rack and center light, center stand, rider backrest, and foot shifter, comes out to ~$27 on the Honda site accessory calculator. I'd love to get one of the Goldwing Tours but I don't want the chrome and don't want to wait for 2019 when I bet they do a Tour model with the blackout. Doing it this way actually comes out less than the DCT Goldwing Tour but then I have to add install cost, I do lose a couple features doing it this way that I'm ok with to have it blacked out.

Not too bad on lost items. Heated seat, elec. damping adjust, shorter windshield and electric preload loss, rear speakers and HSCT.  Windshield and heated seat can be upgraded, probably speakers too.  So set the damper manually, not a big deal.  Color is definitely the best. 
I probably will, just going to wait for the bag fix and I'll upgrade the seat for wifey if the pass section is upgradable, but from Cycle World, looks like it may only be the rider portion.

ZG said:
WingCon said:

ZG said:

You'll end up getting one too Joe, you just don't know it yet...  ;) >:D :)

I think I'm gonna go with the DCT Goldwing in the silver with the blackout and add the Tour trunk with rack and center light, center stand, rider backrest, and foot shifter, comes out to ~$27 on the Honda site accessory calculator. I'd love to get one of the Goldwing Tours but I don't want the chrome and don't want to wait for 2019 when I bet they do a Tour model with the blackout. Doing it this way actually comes out less than the DCT Goldwing Tour but then I have to add install cost, I do lose a couple features doing it this way that I'm ok with to have it blacked out.

I sold the C14 last month and have my house for sale.  Depending on finances next year I may buy a new Tour DCT.  I absolutely love the look and function of the new Wing.  Look forward to seeing what you do with yours when the time comes Jay

Indeed TJ, indeed! Wishing you all the best so you can get one too.

On the Honda site they now have a pic of the red one with all the chrome blacked out, oh man now I'm considering going with the red instead, would look sick with the Tour trunk...  >:D

That front suspension would scare me a bit. It would seem every bike I have had needed suspension upgraded due to my weight, and would have to find out if there was an upgrade available. I know on the previous gen wing some complained the front was too mushy. For me that might be the deal breaker altho I have to admit it is out of my pocket range anyways. I really like the new wing, I really like the new bmw 'bagger' too, unless I win the lottery neither one is in my future so this is all moot. My fjr keeps me smiling and yes it needed suspension upgraded for me.

Anybody got a line on what it costs? Ballpark? Nice looking bike, what I really like is the front suspension.

Strawboss said:
Anybody got a line on what it costs? Ballpark? Nice looking bike, what I really like is the front suspension.

https://powersports.honda.com/2018/gold-wing.aspx#

My 68 y/o father will for sure being getting an '18 Wing (Not Tour version, probably DCT, though.) in probably late 18/early 19. He really liked his '04 and now loves his '14 Valkyrie. This kinda combines them in a lighter weight package than an F6B.

Well guys, looks like I'm all in now...  :)

Sold our 2016 Wing yesterday.  :whoo:  :s_bye2:

Now I just have to wait for our new 2018 Wing to arrive...  :s_hi:  >:D >:D >:D

:TPIWWP:

Strawboss said:

$23k-$32k depending on model

Wow, that was fast. Sold on GL1800riders or local?  That red sure does look sharp.  I know you are an expert and somewhat explained it but what would I lose by going Standard not Touring level and then adding the trunk?  Thanks Jay

TJ said:
Wow, that was fast. Sold on GL1800riders or local?  That red sure does look sharp.  I know you are an expert and somewhat explained it but what would I lose by going Standard not Touring level and then adding the trunk?  Thanks Jay

Thanks TJ, my local shop, I'm not into long drawn out breakups, the $ was close enough for me so I took it, now I can focus on the 2018.

The main things you lose doing it the way I am is heated seat, taller windscreen, and the ability to adjust the suspension electronically.

I'm sure I'll like the smaller windscreen, it's still adjustable, I was running a minus 2 on our 2016 Wing. I'm hopeful aftermarket comes out with heated seat options. I'd love to adjust the suspension electronically, but having everything blacked is worth it to me to adjust it manually.

Looking forward to seeing how it progresses, please document it. :)
I like the blackout but would probably go with the Touring and be done with it.  I have a bike with the ESA feature and absolutely love it.  But thats another story.  Congratulations!

A question ZG- Did you get a higher resale price on the Wing as a percentage of its initial retail price versus the KTM you owned before? Thanks

Boy I'd love to get one of these. I'd enjoy that seven speed with the paddle shift deal. A bit out of my price range though. Of course that's what I said before I got my Connie also. >:D >:D >:D

Diz said:
A question ZG- Did you get a higher resale price on the Wing as a percentage of its initial retail price versus the KTM you owned before? Thanks

Thanks everyone, patience is not one of my strong suits, waiting 3 months is going to be challenging...  :a012:

DZ,
They were about the same, timing is everything IMO, not too long after I sold the 1290 the prices dropped, just dumb luck for me but was glad I got out when I did.

Will be curious what happens to the used Wing values with so many folks buying the 2018. Would be an awesome time to get a great  deal on used or new leftover 2017 and prior, they are awesome bikes, the most comfortable bike I've ever been on for distance!

:great: :great:  :motonoises:

Thanks ZG exactly why I was asking. I hope Honda doesn't limit supply at first like they did with the Africa Twin but I think they were also rebuilding a factory; destroyed by an earthquake at that time.

Diz said:
Thanks ZG exactly why I was asking.

No worries DZ, it's kinda funny, I traded the Connie straight across for the 1290, then traded the 1290 straight across for the 2016 Wing, so this is the end of the Connie $, I have to pay the difference on this one.  :(

Maybe I'll be trading the 2018 Wing for the all new 2020 Connie that will blow everyone's mind!  :eek:  >:D