• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2018 Wing

Dealers are still heavy on inventory, price slashing on the 2018 models now, I just couldn't refuse, a red Tour model followed me home today...
:truce:  >:D

You went full tour! Very nice of course your farkle budget now needs an increase. Many miles with smiles ZG!  :motonoises:

Hello all,
We bought a new 2018 Goldwing Tour the other week and just got back from our first little maiden voyage test run on it, thought I'd post up a brief overview for others on the fence as I was.

Quick bio on us...
I've had a couple dozen bikes, mostly sport, a couple sport touring, a dual sport, and a 2016 Wing.
49 years old, 5'8" and a buck fifty, been riding for 35  year.
Pillion and wife of 28 n counting years is 47 years old, equal height, weight is a secret but I'm gonna guess less than me. She's been on the backs of my bikes since we were teens, her favorite past bike for pillion comfort was our 2016 Wing.

Last year I sold our 2016 Wing in anticipation of getting the new 2018 Wing, but once the new Wings hit local dealers to me I pulled back and didn't buy one. The reason I was leary about pulling the trigger was I really wanted the blacked out look instead of the chrome, unfortunately the blacked out (non-tour) model lacked some key features I wanted, most importantly reverse for the 6 speed model. My logic was to wait and hope they added a blacked out look on the 2019 Tour model, they did not.

Over the winter I've been trolling the BMW K1600 GTL, they finally added reverse to those last year, and prices have softened, at least in my local area. A white 2018 GTL w/4k miles popped up for sale local to me for $20k, I went to go check it out and buy it assuming all was well, I got there and it just sold. I then went over to my local Honda dealer who also deal in used and I've bought a half dozen bikes from them over the years to have them keep an eye out for a used GTL for me, while there I start looking at the new Wing again, Honda has good incentive deals to move the 2018's now because there is still so much inventory. Long story short I came home with a red 2018 Tour model with the 6 speed manual for $21k OTD, that's almost 6 grand less than they were when they came out, enough of a discount for me to give it a try.

I added a couple quick fix items before our trip, Honda rider backrest, Rivco HWY pegs, and Helibars risers. I also brought the Honda half cover and luggage liner sets for the trunk and side cases.

Our trip was originally intended to be longer, but life happened and we had to truncate it, we live in the Portland OR area and did a quick trip down the coast line on 101 and back, a short but fun trip just under 500 miles.

We left the house and the new Wing had about 20 miles on it. The 2018 Wing really exceeded my expectations in every way, I realized a couple features that held no value to me prior because I didn't really know what they were I now have tremendous appreciation and value for, first and foremost Apple carplay is pure genius, a dry place to keep and charge your phone that connects to the bike and allows you to access apps on your phone using the bikes display, nice! I can access my Pandora for music and Apple maps for gps, create a quick map in my phone, save it, and access it from the Wing, wow that's just too cool and easy. And as more apps come out over the years this Wing will always stay current with those apps, too smart Honda, thank you! BTW, if somebody has a good app their using for doppler radar to see where the rain is please let me know.

I was concerned about the smaller tank size, and didn't believe the hooey that the new Wing gets better gas mileage, I was wrong and they indeed do get better mileage. On my 2016 Wing I'd get upper 20's for MPG, on the 2018 I got 38.6 MPG in Tour mode on the way down and 41.2 on the way back in Rain mode and riding in the rain about 90% of the time. I don't ride trying to get good mileage, I just ride, the results are what they are, but according to the #'s I'm getting a solid 10  better MPG than I did on our 2016 Wing, quick math tells me I didn't lose any range from our 2016 Wing. I just love that these Wing's run on regular gas, it's so hard to remember because I'm use to putting Super in all my other bikes.

I was concerned about the smaller luggage capacity compared to our 2016 Wing, in reality this turned into a non-issue and even slightly liberating. I have a soft bag that's maybe 6x8x14 and goes with me on which ever bike I'm touring on, it carriers your typical road side needs, I do seem to add things to it over the years, but never take anything out, and I don't think I've ever really needed to have it in a situation. So, I no longer carry it, wow that was easy, in past I would always have one side case dedicated to this along with airpump etc. The side bags on the Wing look/are small, I was really surprised though at how it all worked out, we each got our clothes and bathroom needs in the Honda side case liners, we each got one. I put one of those in each side case which takes up about 95% of the space, the last 5% is those triangles in the back of the side cases, on one side I used that for the Honda half cover, and on the other side triangle I put a small medical supplies bag, and a small tool pack from Revzilla that's about the size of a small bible. The Honda trunk liner bag contained both our laptop bags, a pair of shoes for each of us (plus I was able to fit my slippers in my side case bag) a fleece layer for each of us, and some snacks. The trunk liner bag uses about 95% of the trunk, in the 5% left over I put water bottles on one side, and my wife's rain shell on the other side.

I think I only have one complaint so far...
I wish I could change fuel modes on the fly, ie when it starts raining be able to switch into the rain mode, and when not raining switch out of it. In the PNW it rains and stops raining often, having to pullover to change these is an inconvenience. Scratch this from the list, I now know you just have to let off the throttle, then toggle through them and enter, nice!

The oem seat is worlds better than every oem seat I've ever had on other motorcycles, that said it is not as comfy as the Ultimate seat we had on our 2016 Wing, my wife and I both agree on this. I'll be looking to get another Ultimate seat for the 2018 Wing once they figure out how to play nice with the Honda electronics.

If I were to get picky, I'd also say that when accessing pandora through carplay its unfortunate that you can't like and dislike songs (like I can on my Zumo 595 while riding), you can only skip songs you don't like in carplay.

Future plans...
new seat
luggage rack with tail/brake light
pillion usb charging port
fog lights
hand wings
trailer hitch for our Unigo

My wife is looking for an iphone holder that attaches to the back of a rider backrest so that it remains there with the screen visible while we're riding, if anyone know's of one please post up a link, thanks.

Overall I am extremely happy with our purchase of the new 2018 Wing and am looking forward to all the adventures to come!

Well I think that's it, but I'm sure I forgot something that I'll add in.
If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask!

Here's some pics from our trip down and back up HWY 101 of the Oregon coast.

Thanks for the review! Pics were great!! Honda kept the analog tach!
Couple of questions- you've had 2 Wings; did you notice any difference on the weight?
I see you are reviving the unigo. Bags and top case only good for over nighters? Thanks again ZG!

Great review and pics!!!
Is the trunk removeable? Is there a quick release modification available yet? That bike could be the best of both worlds with a removable trunk for solo and trunk on for two up/touring.

Thanks for the great review, and the terrific pics!
Irene has had her own for a few years now, but looking at your pics reminded me of the many similar ones we have of her taking them over my shoulder, although not with the ocean on the side :-(.
About the only think we did differently is that we only took one small netbook our trips, I guess we were packing heavy  :)

Diz said:
Thanks for the review! Pics were great!! Honda kept the analog tach!
Couple of questions- you've had 2 Wings; did you notice any difference on the weight?
I see you are reviving the unigo. Bags and top case only good for over nighters? Thanks again ZG!

Thx DZ, I noticed more a difference on the size than the weight, but IMO I think it's all related to what you're coming off of. When I went from the Connie & 1290SA to our last Wing I didn't notice as much as from this time going from the Gixxer and Viffer to the new Wing, it seemed alot bigger at first. Yes will need the Unigo for camping, it holds all our camping gear.

Tundra said:
Great review and pics!!!
Is the trunk removeable? Is there a quick release modification available yet? That bike could be the best of both worlds with a removable trunk for solo and trunk on for two up/touring.

Thx TD,
There is a quick release trunk kit now in the aftermarket world, I think Traxxion Dinamics makes it??

There is also larger side case doors from Corbin now available that increase the depth of the side cases adding more space.

Jorge said:
Thanks for the great review, and the terrific pics!
Irene has had her own for a few years now, but looking at your pics reminded me of the many similar ones we have of her taking them over my shoulder, although not with the ocean on the side :-(.
About the only think we did differently is that we only took one small netbook our trips, I guess we were packing heavy  :)

Thx Jorge, indeed, it's great having a pillion camera crew onboard.  ;D

Great looking bike, review & pics.  :great:    (Mmmmm, fish & chips)  :beerchug:

DCT vs manual. Was the manual a must have or more of an availability/deal thing?

Wish I had the $ and room in the garage for one. I think the wife would be willing to ride along on that pillion seat.

MtnRider said:
Great looking bike, review & pics.  :great:    (Mmmmm, fish & chips)  :beerchug:

DCT vs manual. Was the manual a must have or more of an availability/deal thing?

Wish I had the $ and room in the garage for one. I think the wife would be willing to ride along on that pillion seat.

Thx MTR.  :beerchug:

The DCT vs manual I flopped back and fourth on, I love the idea of DCT for slow traffic creeping and saving the hand clutch hand from tiring out. But in the end I went with my gut and got the 6 speed manual, I didn't want to miss the shifting part of riding on such a big purchase. DCT to me is kinda like tip-tronic on a Porsche, it can be nice at times, but in the end I love using my hand/foot to shift gears, downshift into turns blipping the throttle to match the rpms etc, it's one of the things about riding that I really truly enjoy and didn't want to lose.

The 6 speed manual is butter smooth, I don't regret my decision at all yet.  :great:

:great: :great: :great: :great: :beerchug:

sooooo..... are you 2 coming east to Williamsport in July?

or, am I gonna have to make "face cut outs" and "photo bomb" the "national".. using them again..???

>:D >:D :)) :))

ride safe you kids.... :rotflmao: :great:

MAN OF BLUES said:
:great: :great: :great: :great: :beerchug:

sooooo..... are you 2 coming east to Williamsport in July?

or, am I gonna have to make "face cut outs" and "photo bomb" the "national".. using them again..???

>:D >:D :)) :))

ride safe you kids.... :rotflmao: :great:

Sorry Rich, sounds like a blast but can't make it to the east coast this year.  :(

You folks have fun though!  :beerchug:

Looks good ZG! :great:

Funny you mentioned changing the fuel modes, I did the same exact thing when I first bought my Vstrom 1000.
Throttle has to be closed! :-[

LakeTrax said:
Looks good ZG! :great:

Funny you mentioned changing the fuel modes, I did the same exact thing when I first bought my Vstrom 1000.
Throttle has to be closed! :-[

Thx LT!  :great:

Gumby said:
You are an old man my friend. :D

But yet will always be younger than you somehow...  ;D

I'll bring the couch rocket over for you to take it for a rip!  :motonoises: :beerchug:

This is yet the only place I've admitted this - stopped at my Kawi/Honda dealer and looked at trading my C14 in on a new Wing.  Curiosity with a splash of desire pulled me in.  I've ridden them and I've pushed my luck for quite a while on the Connie.  In a year when the kids are out of school . . . . . :-X

luv2fly said:
This is yet the only place I've admitted this - stopped at my Kawi/Honda dealer and looked at trading my C14 in on a new Wing.  Curiosity with a splash of desire pulled me in.  I've ridden them and I've pushed my luck for quite a while on the Connie.  In a year when the kids are out of school . . . . . :-X

Get'er done L2F!  :great:

What do you mean by "pushed your luck with the Connie"  :017:

ZG said:
luv2fly said:

Get'er done L2F!  :great:

What do you mean by "pushed your luck with the Connie"  :017:

I'm not near as disciplined with my right wrist as I should be at 50 years old.  Its just all too easy to reach 'throw me in jail' speeds on this bike.  One of the reasons I love it, but its a double edged sword.  I need my license for my job and getting nabbed doing double the limit would put a hurting on me.  I don't dislike the Connie at all, its what the Connie tempts me to do! :great:

I'm half expecting to jump into a Wing within a few years.  If the numbers would have been there I'd have traded without telling the wife the other day.  Kids will be out of school next year, much more discretionary income = "Honey, guess what I did today!"

MtnRider said:
What did you have done?

Rivco trailer hitch for pulling our Unigo
Fog lights
Luggage rack with light bar
Additional USB ports
Upper air deflectors
Wire in Ultimate heated seat

I'll try to get some better pics today and post em up.  ;D

Ok, here's some pics...

I forgot I also did the engine head covers from EC, side stand puck from Rivco, and 16" F4 windscreen. I don't care to look through a windscreen, the 16" allows to still raise up for HWY and bad weather, but get lower than the stock 20" for summer weather around town. Routed the battery tender line to the rearward pillion section, have a SAE to dual USB plug for mama to charge on the go if needed. For my wiring harness n 5 flat plug to our Unigo trailer I did as we had on our 2016 Wing and used a Dryspec license plate smuggler box, works great to hide it when not in use, and when needed open it up and drop the plug out the bottom through a dremel hole.

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/stash-box-lockable-license-plate-storage-box-by-twisted-throttle?gloc=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvq_l0b3I4gIVE7nACh2dVA3ZEAQYAiABEgIbcPD_BwE

Need to make a couple small adjustments but everything seems to be lining up good with the Rivco hitch and Unigo connection!  :great:

YOU MIGHT HAVE SAID AND I MISSED IT BUT WHAT DOES A MAN HAVE TO EXPECT TO PAY FOR ALL THAT COOLNESS  :-X

I HAVE A 2010 C14    MIGHT BE LOOKING SOON

Bobby Lee said:
YOU MIGHT HAVE SAID AND I MISSED IT BUT WHAT DOES A MAN HAVE TO EXPECT TO PAY FOR ALL THAT COOLNESS  :-X

I HAVE A 2010 C14    MIGHT BE LOOKING SOON

$21k OTD for the new Wing.

Gumby said:
Unigo needs NEW PAINT!

:iagree: :goodpost: :stupid:

It was painted with a textured rhino liner type product by the previous owner, which actually looks pretty good and is super durable against scratches, could probably go black over top...  :??:

Otherwise probably easier to just get a different color one, they're really cool but not unicorns, I see em pop up for sale on some of the other forums for a couple grand often enough. Now that the Wing is setup, it's all plug and play for towing, will be great for longer 2up trips and camping, we're already talking about putting a good trip together for next summer, can't wait!  ;D

Sorry it's taken so long to chime in.  I've been admiring the photos for some time.  Fantastic looking ride!  Love the color.  Have a great summer! 

ZG said:
Gumby said:
Unigo needs NEW PAINT!

It was painted with a textured rhino liner type product by the previous owner, which actually looks pretty good and is super durable against scratches, could probably go black over top...  :??:

Otherwise probably easier to just get a different color one, they're really cool but not unicorns, I see em pop up for sale on some of the other forums for a couple grand often enough. Now that the Wing is setup, it's all plug and play for towing, will be great for longer 2up trips and camping, we're already talking about putting a good trip together for next summer, can't wait!  ;D

A mismatched trailer is unacceptable for the J man!  :nananana: 

Bumblebee said:
Sorry it's taken so long to chime in.  I've been admiring the photos for some time.  Fantastic looking ride!  Love the color.  Have a great summer!

Thx B, you too!  :beerchug:

Just Cliff said:
ZG said:
Gumby said:
Unigo needs NEW PAINT!

A mismatched trailer is unacceptable for the J man!  :nananana: 

;D  Welcome back brother, I saw the pics, looks like an epic trip!  :great: :beerchug:

So sweet!!! I'm drooling over the seat but an awful lot of refinements with additions. I think Gumby may have it wrong with the unigo cause you have a tendency to change the color of the bike. It may end up matching the trailer after all......

Diz said:
So sweet!!! I'm drooling over the seat but an awful lot of refinements with additions. I think Gumby may have it wrong with the unigo cause you have a tendency to change the color of the bike. It may end up matching the trailer after all......

;D  You know me too well DZ, I have thought about putting the Honda matte silver bodywork set on it. 

Trip 2 report... after trip 1 we added a couple comfort things to the new Wing, last weekend we got a chance to test them out on a quick weekend trip to see my wife's sister, Portland to Boise, 1k miles round trip, one day over and one day back. We hit about every terrain Oregon has to offer, had rain and fog going up over Mt Hood on the way out, but once on the east side of Mt Hood the sun came out and stayed with us the rest of the time, temps were mid-40's to low 90's.

New seat, we got the Ultimate seat and it was very welcomed, no complaints from me or my wife, big improvement over oem, the heat worked great when the temps dropped going over Mt Hood. For the Ultimate heated seat the on/off switch is on a remote about the size of a car remote, it doesn't use the oem controls, my wife keeps one of the remotes, I find them impossible to use with gloves so when I need it on/off I just ask my wife with our Packtalk and she turns it on/off for me. Not ideal if I were solo riding but I have other bikes for that, the Wing is our dedicated 2up bike so mama's always with me. We have no regrets at all with the Ultimate seat, very comfy.

F4 16" windscreen & Honda upper air deflectors, huge improvement for both of us, less air hitting our sides with wings closed when cold, and noticeable more air open when hot.

Routed battery tender lead out back left of the pillion seat, SAE to dual USB worked great for charging Packtalk while riding and my wife's phone.

We're already looking forward to another trip, as for the Wing I'd say she's dialed in for us now. Also got a trailer hitch installed but we don't have any trips this year that warrant bringing the trailer, next summer hopefully some longer trips with camping involved, that's what we use our Unigo for. Also got the Honda trunk rack installed but we didn't need to use it for this over-nighter.

As you've probably heard by now the COG 2020 National is being held in the PNW, here's some pics my wife took on this trip of the different landscapes of Oregon we rode through, mostly all on HWY 26 that runs across Oregon, it's really terrible, don't move here.

lol, gotta go you gotta go...  ;D

Good pic of the Wing though so left it in, oddly enough we stopped there for a good 10 minutes and never saw one car go by, right off of HWY 26, crazy, I love being in the middle of nowhere!  :great:

First, we have to put up with 10,000 pictures of his constant changes, now pictures of humans...

:mad: :'(