• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2019 COG SC Wildflower Rally

fartymarty

SC AAD
The rooms have been set aside for us and the event has been posted on the COG calendar.
Three meals are planned, Friday night ;Saturday morning; Saturday night. Please reserve your rooms by March 4th.
Registering by April 3rd will ensure that there will be plenty of food for all, as we order food and purchase supplies on the 4th.

April 5-7, 2019

2019 COG SC Wildflower Rally Event Link

Thanks for putting this together again.  Always a great rally, despite the fact we always have some kind of weather issues.  Got a radiator guard installed now, so no more worries about picking up a rock and puncturing the radiator.

Steve 

Bobby Lee said:
what do yall do at this event ?      :))

RIDE, EAT, SLEEP......REPEAT  :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :103: :a012:

This venue is in the heart of Texas Hill Country just to the west of Hunt, TX on the Guadeloupe River. There's great riding on the the Twisted Sisters, FM 187, TX 16, and other roads in the region.

A big meal is served on Saturday night and a breakfast Saturday morning. There are fire places in the picnic area outside the rooms where we have one or more communal fires in the evening.

Pamela and I ride down from DFW on back roads which are nice and have low traffic.

If you like to ride twisty roads, talk shop and enjoy fellow company, then this friendly bunch of folks are waiting on you to join us.

Craig

Craig thank you for the info.   

Im going to give this event a try.        :)

Sure hope this Marty guy hosts a good event !   

You guys are awesome.    :D

Bobby Lee said:
Craig thank you for the info.   

Im going to give this event a try.        :)

Sure hope this Marty guy hosts a good event !   

You guys are awesome.    :D

Marty and Butch are great hosts!!! You'll have a great time and Pamela and I look forward to meeting you!

The lady told me that only 11 rooms are booked. {??}
If you plan to attend... Book your rooms!!

For some reason the "more details" on the COG Event Calendar would not open enough to give me Motel information /phone number. Took several tries to get it to open.

Here it is, if others are having the same problem.

Event Location: River Inn Resort and Conference Center, Hunt Texas 
Address: 2960 HWY 39
Hunt , TX  78024 
Directions:  From Kerrville TX turn west on HWY 27 and then continue onto HWY 39 as HWY 27 veers right. Stay on 39 for approx 13 more miles continuing through Ingram TX and Hunt TX until you see the River Inn on your right. Or use the website map located at the bottom of the page link -->: http://www.riverinnresort.com/contact
Location Phone: 800-841-0501

Ride safe, Ted

Mike and I booked a room. We will have to pay for the registration for the vent when we get there again because I can’t seem to register from here. 🤷🏼‍♂️
See y’all there.

Just got registered for the Wildflower Rally.  Now to get a room.  Does anyone have a room they would like to share?  Or, anyone not yet have a room and be interested in sharing?  I will be riding down from Roanake, Tx on Friday. 

Jim

James

I am looking for someone to room with at Wildflower.  I live in San Antonio and plan to get there early Friday morning before everyone heads out.  Send me a PM and we can work out the details.

Steve

Is anyone attending the Wildflower Rally from West Texas?  I am traveling to Cali after the rally.  Would be nice to have travel partner if anyone is heading that direction.  Is it a decent days ride to get to El Paso in one day?  I realize I would probably have to slab it most of the way to make one day doable.  TIA

James_Leach_TN said:
Is anyone attending the Wildflower Rally from West Texas?  I am traveling to Cali after the rally.  Would be nice to have travel partner if anyone is heading that direction.  Is it a decent days ride to get to El Paso in one day?  I realize I would probably have to slab it most of the way to make one day doable.  TIA

It's about 500 miles but you can't get lost.  Only two roads go that way.  I would take the one that is posted 85 mph and get er done.

kv5e said:
Bobby Lee said:
what do yall do at this event ?      :))

RIDE, EAT, SLEEP......REPEAT  :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :103: :a012:

Well yeah, there is all that for sure, but there is also some hangin' out time around the fireplace and in the parking lot
checkin' out farkles and telling lies.  :great:

PLEASE PLEASE .. be sure to register all attendees! Including guests, children, et al. Trying to be frugal with COGs money last year and still supply three meals and prizes
caused us to not have enough food for two of the three meals because of inaccurate head count. It was embarrassing.

I will be riding down to Hunt on Thurs from Roanoke.  Is anyone else riding down from that area?  Want to hook up for the ride?

I actually registered for the ride this year online. Yay! Crazy Goldwing Mike and I will be there. He will be showing off his recently purchased 2012 C14. Please feel free to let him know that his suspension can be adjusted manually without air and that feeling of "falling in the corners" is normal. We will be "trailering" it down in this go around due to Mike's oldness so if Marty needs help bringing anything down from FtW. we are just a phone call/ text away. 8175322647 See y'all there.

I booked my room a few weeks ago and totally for got to register. But I squared that away tonight. Can’t wait to get out there and ride. Really enjoy this group or riders and what I have seen so far.

Chris said:
I booked my room a few weeks ago and totally for got to register. But I squared that away tonight. Can’t wait to get out there and ride. Really enjoy this group or riders and what I have seen so far.

Thanks for registering Chris, looking forward to seeing you and Lacey and Judy. It's just too bad you all have decided to bring Ted along.  :))

Just kidding Ted! ..no,... really I am....really.  :rotflmao:

I think you meant it.. (I'm hurt)    :'(
  Your just jealous of my extremely good looks and pleasing personality.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: :p :p :p :29: :29: :29: :p :p  :p :p :p :29: :29: :29: :p :p  :p :p :p :29: :29: :29: :p :p

fartymarty said:
Chris said:

Thanks for registering Chris, looking forward to seeing you and Lacey and Judy. It's just too bad you all have decided to bring Ted along.  :))

Just kidding Ted! ..no,... really I am....really.  :rotflmao:

Perfect riding for rally

0kKHWL9.jpg

With Ted there . . . . . . .

:nananana: :rotflmao: :beerchug:

A great TIME!

gr33mAn

Since I'm late to the party, no rooms available at the site.  :-[  I'm on a cancellation list but will just plan on staying down the road a bit and show up for the food.  >:D

image4.png

The graph above will update each day.

High pressure/subsidence regime early in the week then weak troughing/shortwaves with most of the scattered precip east of I 35 near the weekend.

Looks like you picked a great weekend weather wise Marty as there's no hint of a cutoff low like we've seen a few times in recent years.

Nice temps, wildflowers, RiverInn Resort, great riding........I suppose we can deal with that!!!!!! :great:

Even a dumpster fire!!!!!!! :nananana:

Damn,  :-[ :-[ :-[  If you want to put a dent in a drought in Central Texas, just schedule the Wildflower ride.  Has not rained since late January and of course they are predicting storms Friday night into Saturday.  Guess we will see how it plays out.

Steve

Say, crazy GoldWing  Mike and I were going to trailer it down originally. We decided that we are going to ride down. We will be leaving Southwest Fort Worth at about 1 o’clock to head down that way. Feel free to join us if you would like.

I was supposed to be replying to James_Leach_Tn.
James, you are more than welcome to tag along with us. You would probably be passing my place in the way down anyway.

If you want to see Texas BlueBonnets, here are 4 wildflower routes from Fredericksburg Texas Online.

1.Take 965 (Milam Street) out of Fredericksburg, just past Enchanted Rock. 965 connects with 16. Take a left to Llano. Just before 71 turn left on 2323 and follow it back to 87. Take a left back to Fredericksburg.
2.Take 87 from Fredericksburg to Mason swing around the courthouse square and return to Fredericksburg! This is a beautiful drive… some of the BEST wildflowers anywhere!
3.Take 87 from Fredericksburg toward Mason, turn right on 152. In Castell veer right and follow 152 along the river back to !6. Turn right back to Fredericksburg.
4.Take 87 to 648 (Hilltop Cafe is on the corner), turn left and continue into Doss, Texas. In Doss take a right on to 783 and continue to 87 take a right back to Fredericksburg.

https://www.fredericksburgtexas-online.com/plan-your-trip/willow-city-loop/

Friday is usually the Wildflower run where we head out to Fredericksburg, then out past Enchanted rock.  We thing swing over thru Llano to eat at Cooper BBQ (great stuff). After lunch we head down RM 152 back to 87.  From there we can swing up to Mason and then work our way back to Hunt.  I was up there a couple weeks ago and due to drought, flowers were not quite as spectacular as in the past.  But it is still a beautiful ride.    Saturday is TBD, depending on the weather.

Steve

Nottacop said:
Say, crazy GoldWing  Mike and I were going to trailer it down originally. We decided that we are going to ride down. We will be leaving Southwest Fort Worth at about 1 o’clock to head down that way. Feel free to join us if you would like.
Thanks for the invite.  I have made arrangements to meet Craig Green Thurs morning in Cleburne and ride down with him.
See you there
Jim

James_Leach_TN said:
Nottacop said:
Thanks for the invite.  I have made arrangements to meet Craig Green Thurs morning in Cleburne and ride down with him.
See you there
Jim

This is a great route for wildflowers and will have two gas stops, one in Hamilton and the last one in Lometa.

Route from Cleburne is as follows:

1. TX 174 south to Meridian to TX 22 west
2. TX 22 west to TX 36 at the courthouse in Hamilton and through downtown to the Valera station on TX 36 (GAS - great stop)
3. From TX 36 we take FM 218 then FM 2005 towards Goldwaithe
4. From FM 2005 we take FM 1047 south through Star, pass the Texas Game Warden's Academy until it dead ends into FM 581
5. Turn right and go west on FM 581 into Lometa for a gas stop and continuing on FM 581 to Fm 580 at Bend
6. From FM 580 we take FM 501 west into the Llano Uplift into Cherokee TX
7. At Cherokee we take TX 16 south into Llano, cross the river bridge and at the courthouse turn right on FM 152
8. Follow FM 152 through Castell and then we turn right on TX 87 then jog south on FM 783
9. FM 783 through Doss and further south to US 290 at Harper and then jog south again continuing on FM 783 into Kerrville
10. At Kerrville we turn right on TX 27, then left onto TX 39 at Ingram and follow the river to the River Inn Resort.

This avoids Fredericksburg and all the traffic and is one the best routes for wildflowers.

A couple of sections are open range so watching for cows on the road is essential.

There are also a lot of low water crossing so you have to cognizant of rain/runoff particularly on TX 152 near Castell where the water can be deep in some screwy  turns that have no culverts for drainage.

So, I guess we will have rain?
Doesn't matter. We're going anyway...

Dumpster fire??? {Tell us the "Rest of the story"}.

Ride safe, Ted

kv5e said:
This is a great route for wildflowers and will have two gas stops, one in Hamilton and the last one in Lometa.

Route from Cleburne is as follows:

1. TX 174 south to Meridian to TX 22 west
2. TX 22 west to TX 36 at the courthouse in Hamilton and through downtown to the Valera station on TX 36 (GAS - great stop)
3. From TX 36 we take FM 218 then FM 2005 towards Goldwaithe
4. From FM 2005 we take FM 1047 south through Star, pass the Texas Game Warden's Academy until it dead ends into FM 581
5. Turn right and go west on FM 581 into Lometa for a gas stop and continuing on FM 581 to Fm 580 at Bend
6. From FM 580 we take FM 501 west into the Llano Uplift into Cherokee TX
7. At Cherokee we take TX 16 south into Llano, cross the river bridge and at the courthouse turn right on FM 152
8. Follow FM 152 through Castell and then we turn right on TX 87 then jog south on FM 783
9. FM 783 through Doss and further south to US 290 at Harper and then jog south again continuing on FM 783 into Kerrville
10. At Kerrville we turn right on TX 27, then left onto TX 39 at Ingram and follow the river to the River Inn Resort.

This avoids Fredericksburg and all the traffic and is one the best routes for wildflowers.

A couple of sections are open range so watching for cows on the road is essential.

There are also a lot of low water crossing so you have to cognizant of rain/runoff particularly on TX 152 near Castell where the water can be deep in some screwy  turns that have no culverts for drainage.

Like so????    https://goo.gl/maps/AS2YfLNKVwp

Disclaimer stuff: Attached gpx route is quick and dirty and probably contains usual Basecamp inspired errors USE AT YOUR OWN RISK and use CAUTION and modify as needed for safety.

Attachments

• Craigs Wildflower route.gpx
    265.3 KB · Views: 142
Thanks Marty.....if I did not know better I would guess you worked for NGA sometime in the past  ;D

Must've missed something.  Appears most are heading down tomorrow for the wildflower riding.  That's me...day late and dollar short.

If you could try to ride down tomorrow you’d probably have a great full day of riding Friday. Saturday’s looking a little soggy. I mean... for others. 😁

No, in Marty's case, I suspect he's right. {Natural Gas Association}
  When folks are around him we all notice he has a lot of natural "gas"..………. :truce:

Ride safe, Ted

PS: getting ready to leave Houston now.

Thank you everyone for a great COG weekend. Mike and I had a blast. A bit soggy when I got home but well worth it. 😎👍🏼

Great Big Thanks to Marty and Butch for hosting and for all who helped to make this a great event.  Weather held up the first two days to make for some great riding.  Most got a little soggy on the way home (except for Ted the "I always trailer" man).  Can't wait til next year.

Steve

I made it back to Mesquite about 4:30 Sunday. Marty and I were a little damp but not bad. I enjoyed the event and visiting with all of the riders that made it. Thanks for coming.
Butch  (rbentdude)

This was my first year out to the wild flower ride and I loved it. Thank you to everyone that interacted with my kids they had a great time and where really excited, and asked if we where coming back next year. Hope everyone got home safe and thanks to the organizers of this meet. See everyone next year. Or sooner if the wife lets me before the next baby is here.  :rotflmao:

Great rally and riding in the Texas Hill Country and special thanks to Marty and Butch for their tireless work for this ride. A very special thanks to Troy for his generosity and help.

Greg, Pamela and I left about 0920 with a little light rain and ran out of it north on Kerrville on TX 783. We kept west of the rain shield until Llano when we had a brief light shower which ended before Cherokee. Kept north on TX 16 out of the rain and then took the diagonal FM 2005 to Hamilton. That was three hours but it kept us north of the rain shield where we could have lunch at Rustlers. TX 22 until Cranfills Gap then FM 1238/FM 927 back to Morgan  to TX 174 which missed the rain. Split up with Greg in Alvarado and made it home about 1535 and unloaded, put the bike up and then the rain started here. Thanks to the SPC HREF model which verified and showed little precip on the more westerly roads during our time frame and accurately depicted the rain evolution. This system almost looked a little tropical on the wrap around side of the low with the rain bands and cloud streets we saw in the distance.

It was really great to see everyone and enjoy the fire and fellowship. I did miss Chuck and Delores, maybe next year they will be there.

COG folks are the best and the reason to get together although the Sisters are a great inducement, not to mention the Apple Store/pie/ice cream in Medina!

Ride free

The 2019 Wildflower Rally is officially over.  Dan and I left about 7:20 this morning, and sunshine all the way home.

Had a great time, and thanks Marty, Butch, Troy, Craig, Pamela and anyone else involved in making it happen.

Fred

I'd rather host an event than MC it. When I'm standing up front all I want to do is: not be standing up front.
My brain never remembers what it was I was supposed to say. I can't believe I didn't thank Butch for his help.  :-[
Thanks to Butch for his assistance all weekend, and to Pamela and Craig for breakfast help, logistics assistance, AMA refereeing and holding the prize drawing.
Special thanks to Troy for his prize shopping, hot sauce and nachos and the candied (well they were sweet at first) jalapenos and
his very generous financial support for this event.
I also want to thank Josh for his help bringing in the groceries, and Helen for the tomato chopping and delicious breakfast burritos.
I'm sure I've left someone out and I'm sorry about that. Thank you all for coming and helping out.

Some Photos

I want to add my thanks to Marty and all of the folks who helped make the Wildflower a great success.  It was my first time, but hopefully not my last.  As with every COG event that I have attended, the roads were good and the people were better.  Special thanks to Craig & Pamela and Greg for showing me the best roads from the DFW area to Hunt.  Also to Steve Macha for showing me around the area on Fri & Sat.  Even if he did lead us into a toad strangler Sat morning.  The weekend was a blast.  It was a great start to my trip to Cali.  Just got back home a couple of days ago.  That was a great trip as well.