• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2019 SPIDER RIDE Registration is open and on the NC Calendar

G-Mazz

Registration for the September 2019, 24nd ANNUAL SPIDER RIDE is open on the NORTH CENTRAL CALENDAR.

The event will again be held at Huzzah Valley Resort, Steelville, MO. (www.huzzahvalley.com) or call (1-800-367-4516).
Tent camping is $12 per night or you can reserve in advance in one of their cabins for an additional charge.  Tent campers pay when you arrive.  Restrooms and coin operated hot showers are close by.

Registration is $40 for members, $50 for non-members and will include breakfast Friday, Saturday and Sunday and dinner on Friday and Saturday.  Friday dinner will be burgers and brats and Saturday will be a whole hog roast with sides and a dessert.

Here is the link to register: 
http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=256447&mo=9&tDate=%7Bd%20%272019%2D09%2D08%27%7D

Official dates will be September 13th-15th, but everyone knows many will arrive Thursday the 12th.  Thursday dinner is on you.  We usually have dinner in Steelville at the Spare Rib Inn or Rich's Famous Burgers.  If you have any questions please contact me (Gary Mazzola) at gmazzola@sbcglobal.net  or  call/text me at 314-606-2233.

Great roads, great people, great food.  It doesn't get any better.  I'm expecting another big group this year.  Get yourself registered and tell your friends! 

Good work, 11 attending and counting! 
Looks like the SE group is beginning to organize and head our way after their Run With The Wolf rally. 

Yay, no home football that week!  Lisa & I will be there...with several wrinkles.

Current plan is to drive our decommissioned Type A school bus (22 passenger, but really, only seats for 4 + driver) with Lisa's kayak stuffed inside.  If I find the time to rig up a hitch before then, we'll trailer in at least one bike.  Other options are for her to drive & I would ride, or we could even stuff the Sherpa inside the bus with the kayak. 

The bus is intentionally left as a bit of a blank canvas to have lots of flexibility...tie down a small bike inside, haul multiple kayaks, etc.  No way our C10s get all up in there.  Sleeping options: a queen size air mattress fits perfectly to the left the 2 installed seats, or Lisa can rig the hammock inside if she's by herself (I don't hammock very well).  No off-the-grid power options yet, but a solar/marine batt/inverter system is on the short list.  For now...run a cord :)

It's been a couple years...can't wait!

Kurt I'm really happy you and Kay will be attending.  We get a great crowd and along with some familiar faces you will meet some great people from the midwest.  See you Thursday.  We'll leave the light on for you.

Joane and I just signed up. We will be bringing the RV and all our earthly possessions.  This means I will have both the Connie and the KTM (dual sport). So maybe a little gravel or off road riding can be arranged. We will arrive on Thursday.

I have also attached some of the routes that have been used in the past.

Look forward to seeing you all.

Attachments

• Spider Routes.zip
    93.4 KB · Views: 131
Thanks for posting the routes Jeff.  Everything is confirmed with Huzzah Valley, shopping for supplies has started and we have 25 already registered for the event.  We are on schedule for another great event. 

It's time to get everyone else registered!

Work plans changed (go figure). Had this week of 9/9 off but had to push it back a week. If I can get back from SC early enough, I'll be riding down Friday. Don't want to miss this 2 years in a row

bikerhawk said:
Yay, no home football that week!  Lisa & I will be there...with several wrinkles.

Current plan is to drive our decommissioned Type A school bus (22 passenger, but really, only seats for 4 + driver) with Lisa's kayak stuffed inside.  If I find the time to rig up a hitch before then, we'll trailer in at least one bike.  Other options are for her to drive & I would ride, or we could even stuff the Sherpa inside the bus with the kayak. 

The bus is intentionally left as a bit of a blank canvas to have lots of flexibility...tie down a small bike inside, haul multiple kayaks, etc.  No way our C10s get all up in there.  Sleeping options: a queen size air mattress fits perfectly to the left the 2 installed seats, or Lisa can rig the hammock inside if she's by herself (I don't hammock very well).  No off-the-grid power options yet, but a solar/marine batt/inverter system is on the short list.  For now...run a cord :)

It's been a couple years...can't wait!

I wanna see your "short bus". I'm thinking about doing a conversion. The Roadtrek just turned over 200k miles, though it still performs well. BTW, I'm up on solar pretty good(well?) and can guide you toward a frugal system that performs.

Will be arriving Thursday with some folks from the upper midwest. We'll be camping and telling tall tales at Jack's Fish Camp just north of Mountain View, AR the week between the RWTW and the Spider. And leave some rubber on those marvy AR roads. Kim posted up a thread. Join us if you can. Anyone else reading this is also welcome.

Gary,
In regard to my attendance at the Spider Ride, ignore what I told you at the National. Looks like I got a six week stay of execution. Yes, more cancer treatment is on the way, but it looks like it will be a few weeks later than anticipated. It's still subject to change. One phone call from my doctor could derail all plans, but timing for the treatment is slightly delayed. My bad blood work numbers keep climbing, but I was told I'm not critical, yet.

The glimmer of hope prevails. I might see you in September.

Cookie said:
Gary,
In regard to my attendance at the Spider Ride, ignore what I told you at the National. Looks like I got a six week stay of execution. Yes, more cancer treatment is on the way, but it looks like it will be a few weeks later than anticipated. It's still subject to change. One phone call from my doctor could derail all plans, but timing for the treatment is slightly delayed. My bad blood work numbers keep climbing, but I was told I'm not critical, yet.

The glimmer of hope prevails. I might see you in September.

Hope to see you Jim.

I'm in for my 2nd Spider ride.  :motonoises:

Cookie, hope to see you there. I enjoyed riding with you at Cliff's HMR.
:great:

I hope to be at the Spider Ride, too. I'm waiting to see if I get the dreaded phone call that could come this week - the one that says get your butt in here now. I'm still hoping I can stall off treatments until November. If the call doesn't come this week, I'm going to register.

Just in case, I have a new front tire for the FJR. I don't want to be riding on thin tires, like last year.

Cookie said:
I hope to be at the Spider Ride, too. I'm waiting to see if I get the dreaded phone call that could come this week - the one that says get your butt in here now. I'm still hoping I can stall off treatments until November. If the call doesn't come this week, I'm going to register.

Just in case, I have a new front tire for the FJR. I don't want to be riding on thin tires, like last year.

I know a guy in St Anthony that has a tire changer. Just bring good beer.  :beerchug: :rotflmao:

Skol.

Jim you goof, I already ignored that conversation. :beerchug:  You'll be able to attend!!  You've got a lot of friends sending positive vibes your direction.  BTW I have a tire changer so if you need me to bring it down to change out your tire(s) let me know.  We'll get you changed at the resort.  Also I have a decent front tire and rear tire in my tire rack if you need me to bring them too. 

Rick we've already talked and I've got you on my list.  Michael Spickelmier, you've been here, done that, so just DO IT AGAIN. :)

Saturday's dinner of whole hogs are ordered, let the grillin' begin.  No time like now to get registered. 

The No-Mar tire changer Steve J. is referring to is in my garage. I would never make it to your house on the current front tire. It will be installed some time this week. I just have to clear my "retirement" task schedule. It won't be hard to do. My wife wants to keep me safe. Still thanks for the offer.

Ok, I'm not waiting for any phone calls. I'm going to register and go with the flow. Thanks to everyone for the positive vibes. This is another example why COG is the best motorcycle, or any other type, of club on the planet. You guys are great.

See you soon.

Cookie said:
The No-Mar tire changer Steve J. is referring to is in my garage. I would never make it to your house on the current front tire. It will be installed some time this week. I just have to clear my "retirement" task schedule. It won't be hard to do. My wife wants to keep me safe. Still thanks for the offer.

Ok, I'm not waiting for any phone calls. I'm going to register and go with the flow. Thanks to everyone for the positive vibes. This is another example why COG is the best motorcycle, or any other type, of club on the planet. You guys are great.

See you soon.

Cool.

Good to hear Jim, maybe Momma will let you get out a little early, so you can stop in Arkansas on your way to Steeleville.

SteveJ. said:
I wanna see your "short bus". I'm thinking about doing a conversion. The Roadtrek just turned over 200k miles, though it still performs well. BTW, I'm up on solar pretty good(well?) and can guide you toward a frugal system that performs.

You had me at "frugal".  Shoot me what ya know (PM or whatever).  I've been keeping my eye on when the Harbor Freight systems go on sale (like this weekend), but I am new to the solar thing and would love to learn from others' experiences.

Just officially registered.  Time to go thrash on the bus.  If only this job thing would stop getting in the way...

So do they put the COG group in ZOO I or ZOO II? ;D

31 hours from North Plains, Oregon :truce:, but only 21 hours from Casa Grande, Arizona so maybe next year I'll make the famous Spider Ride. :great:

Tom,

Obviously you would be welcome in this part of the country, but even more welcome if you bring your lovely bride. See you at the National next year.  Be ready to  :beerchug:

That will be explained at the 'telling of the tails' portion of the event.  :)   

I wouldn't do it justice, I first heard it from Tony on my first Spider Ride in 2011 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FJqtpZQZFxaJL8Ld6  More photos from that one..  I think it is time to try and sweet talk my boss into letting me come down this year....

BigAl said:
This looks sweet....but...total noob question here...why is it called the SPIDER ride??

We will be in Sevierville, TN the week before and may stop by on the home.
Is there a spot for a little 38" fifth wheel toyhauler with hook ups??

Bikejunkie1013 said:
We will be in Sevierville, TN the week before and may stop by on the home.
Is there a spot for a little 38" fifth wheel toyhauler with hook ups??

Yes the campground is huge and we are there in the off season you won't  need a reservation.

Water and electricity for sure.close to where the fun is.

http://huzzahvalley.com/

Jeff, are you riding he bike or taking the motorhome to the Spider Ride? I'm thinking of leaving Monday or Tuesday and meeting up with the HOBO crew in Arkansas. Departure will depend on how much clean up I need to do at the lake after Delaine's family reunion. We might need a relaxing day together before I hit the road.

Let me know what you're thinking.

My registration is in. Screw the medical issues. I'm doing the Spider Ride.

Cookie said:
Jeff, are you riding he bike or taking the motorhome to the Spider Ride? I'm thinking of leaving Monday or Tuesday and meeting up with the HOBO crew in Arkansas. Departure will depend on how much clean up I need to do at the lake after Delaine's family reunion. We might need a relaxing day together before I hit the road.

:great: :beerchug:

Cookie said:

We are taking the motorhome.
Did you get your tire on yet ?

I put the new front tire on last week. I also put on highway pegs yesterday. Not sure I like where I mounted them. I guess a trial run is in order, like a trip to Arkansas.

Looks like I'll join the HOBO crew at Jack's in Mountain View AR. Not sure what day I will be there. It will depend on how long the clean up at the lake takes after the family reunion. I will leave on Monday or Tuesday. I plan on taking it easy.

See you in Steelville.

Roger Dodger said:
I'm in for my FIRST Spider Ride! 

Looking forward to smooth roads and seeing fellow COGgers once again!    :)

So, are you going to join the Hobo gang at Jack's for the pre-Spider Ride?

Roger Dodger said:
I'm in for my FIRST Spider Ride! 

Looking forward to smooth roads and seeing fellow COGgers once again!    :)

Ooooh, oooooh, a virgin.

Good to hear you'll be there. Coming to the Tween the RWTW and Spider meet up in AR?

Roger Dodger said:
So, are you going to join the Hobo gang at Jack's for the pre-Spider Ride?

No RWTW for me.

I will show up Thursday pm looking for a tent site, and a dinner site.  CU soon, Roger

Not RWTW, Erik, Tom and I are meeting several others at Jack's Fishing Resort, MT View AR on Monday 9/9 and then on to the Spider Ride.

Anyone going through KC Friday? Flying in around 10am and planning on departing KC around 12-1pm. Earlier if I get bike loaded quickly

So Wednesday I spooned a new front tire on the Connie and yesterday I spooned a new rear tire on the KTM. I have learned that I still do not like changing tires. But I am ready for any type of two wheel terrain that the Steelville area has to offer.

Rasmith said:
Anyone going through KC Friday? Flying in around 10am and planning on departing KC around 12-1pm. Earlier if I get bike loaded quickly

I just got the green light from the boss to leave early on Friday.  I hope to be on the road by 10am.  Will likely be taking the interstate route...  :( due to the time constraints.

Great Job everyone!  We have 51 attending the rally from Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, Ohio, Texas, and Wisconsin.

The weather looks good for the weekend and we are getting all the supplies organized and ready to go. 

Breakfast will include your choice of Omelets, Burritos, Belgian Waffles, Oatmeal and cereal.  Friday dinner will be grilled burgers and bratwursts with sides.  Saturday dinner will be a whole hog roast, 2 sides, a salad, and pie for dessert. 

It's all good.  If anyone has questions, don't hesitate to call me.  I'm looking forward to seeing everyone real soon.

G-Mazz said:
Great Job everyone!  We have 51 attending the rally from Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, Ohio, Texas, and Wisconsin.

The weather looks good for the weekend and we are getting all the supplies organized and ready to go. 

Breakfast will include your choice of Omelets, Burritos, Belgian Waffles, Oatmeal and cereal.  Friday dinner will be grilled burgers and bratwursts with sides.  Saturday dinner will be a whole hog roast, 2 sides, a salad, and pie for dessert. 

It's all good.  If anyone has questions, don't hesitate to call me.  I'm looking forward to seeing everyone real soon.

What days will include the breakfast?

Kurt:

Breakfast will be provided Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Sunday will be more of a continental breakfast. 
Dinner will be provided Friday and Saturday evening in the air conditioned dining hall.
Coffee, Soft drinks and Bottled Water will be provided all weekend.
Chances are also good we will have a limited quantity of free "man soda" for Thursday evening.

Spent lots of time on the bus this weekend:
  --Swivel captain's chairs from a 2000 Dodge Ram van installed ($40 all-in from Pick-n-Pull); existing 2 smaller bus seats moved to other side, mounted sideways to create a commuter bus-style bench
  --Trailer hitch installed & wired
  --Solar battery & charge controller mounted, rudimentary/temporary 12V and AC power supply hooked up; 100W of panels stowed for setup on arrival

Hopefully I'll find time to fix the bus cruise control before we roll first thing on Thursday.  That and, maybe, dump more R134a into the bus & try to revive that also.  Otherwise it's 2/60 AC for us :)

bikerhawk said:
Spent lots of time on the bus this weekend:
  --Swivel captain's chairs from a 2000 Dodge Ram van installed ($40 all-in from Pick-n-Pull); existing 2 smaller bus seats moved to other side, mounted sideways to create a commuter bus-style bench
  --Trailer hitch installed & wired
  --Solar battery & charge controller mounted, rudimentary/temporary 12V and AC power supply hooked up; 100W of panels stowed for setup on arrival

Hopefully I'll find time to fix the bus cruise control before we roll first thing on Thursday.  That and, maybe, dump more R134a into the bus & try to revive that also.  Otherwise it's 2/60 AC for us :)
I can't wait to see it. See you Thursday afternoon.

On TDY in relatively cooler Suches, GA.

If anyone want to follow along here is our Spot Tracker link
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=201e85d77d87650c44

MizzouMike said:
I think I will be riding a bit of old Route 66 on Saturday.  Going to meet an old army buddy at the Uranus Fudge Factory.

https://www.uranusgeneralstore.com/

Who comes up with these things?

From my experience, Mike...usually, drummers.

Heading out to liberate the trailer from the backyard & start loading up Connie & Sherpa. Definitely want to use one of my 2 days there as a dual sport day...but Connie would be pissed if I didn't bring her to the Spider.

Lisa hasn't ridden all year, so her C10 is staying home in favor of her kayak. She loves kayaking as much as I love motorcycling. Me in a kayak? No thanks.

bikerhawk said:
MizzouMike said:
I think I will be riding a bit of old Route 66 on Saturday.  Going to meet an old army buddy at the Uranus Fudge Factory.

https://www.uranusgeneralstore.com/

Who comes up with these things?

From my experience, Mike...usually, drummers.

Heading out to liberate the trailer from the backyard & start loading up Connie & Sherpa. Definitely want to use one of my 2 days there as a dual sport day...but Connie would be pissed if I didn't bring her to the Spider.

Lisa hasn't ridden all year, so her C10 is staying home in favor of her kayak. She loves kayaking as much as I love motorcycling. Me in a kayak? No thanks.

Whaaaa?? Drummer are always the brunt of musician jokes. I can hang

Many thanks to Gary, Brett, and Kevin for all the hard work, planning, heavy lifting and doing dishes.

Thanks also to Dave and Jim for showing me around MO (twice) .

As a first -timer this was a hit! I really loved riding your 'continuously undulating serpentine ribbons of asphalt' all weekend.    :)

A great Spider ride is in the books. Thanks so much to Gary, Kevin, and Brett for all the hard work. Also a big thanks to everyone who attended. Weather was great, roads were wonderful, and the food was fantastic.

P9140816-M.jpg

IMG_20190913_185428-M.jpg

IMG_20190913_151416-M.jpg

IMG_20190913_121632-M.jpg

IMG_20190913_121653-M.jpg

P9140819-M.jpg

Sorry I couldn't stay longer, but had a good time while I was there.  Great to see everyone, and here are some of my photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LaMHTH4YprhGnaVA8

We pulled in at 7 PM last night.  Gotta get that bus AC fixed...the ride home was a bit rough.  Other than that, our first big run with the bus was a nice success.  Lots worked well, several things to fix/update (BUG SCREENS).  The adventure continues!

Thanks to Gary & crew for putting on another great event.  Thanks also to all who attended for keeping the Spider alive & well.

A big shout out to Gary and his crew for putting on another successful rally.  :great: Thanks also to Tony for sharing the history of the Spider rally,  I found that to be very interesting.
  This was my second Spider and it keeps getting better.  I'm already looking forward to next year.
  Finally I want to give a big thanks to the Iowa boys, Stacey and Chris, for making sure I got home safely with that worn out rear tire.
  Until we meet again TCARS! :motonoises:

Dale

WOW! What a Rally. Thanks to all that help put the Spider together.
Here’s some photos including our visit with Moe at the Hospital just before his release.
Cheers!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LsqpNMHqQQrGRD7p7

Once again, I'm happy I could make the Spider Ride. What a great event! Great weather and site, excellent roads, great food, and wonderful people. A special thanks to Gary, Brett, Kevin and the crew for all their work. Everything about this event was fantastic.

Made it home Sunday night by 7:15 PM. Only had one close encounter of the police kind Sunday morning. His brake lights came one after he passed me, but he didn't turn around. I was very happy not to get stopped. Oh, Rick Davis was happy, too, since he was right behind me as I set a brisk pace. We did slow down a bit, at least until we knew we were not being chased. Never underestimate the power of dumb luck. I'll slow down next year.