• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2019 updates for K1600's

I like that they added reverse on the 2019 model, the used market on the prior years has really softened to the point I keep finding myself trolling these, have seen some used ones pop up for not much over $10k  >:D

ZG said:
I like that they added reverse on the 2019 model, the used market on the prior years has really softened to the point I keep finding myself trolling these, have seen some used ones pop up for not much over $10k  >:D

The reverse was added in '18.

Yes, you can pick up a very clean low mileage K16 quite reasonably. The boxer powered bikes have stronger demand and resale, particularly the GS. My local dealer has a 2015 GTL with under 2,000 miles for about $16K asking price. That's a lot of bike for the buck.

IIRC a lot of the K bike owners in our club went to the GoldWing, as BMW will not warranty bikes pulling a trailer at any time. Did BMW change that yet?

OK, found it myself.

BMW still refuses to warranty ALL issues when pulling a trailer, further pushing folks to Kawasaki and the Honda Goldwing in particular.

So when something goes wrong with your BMW on the road, under warranty yet, remove any/all additional add ons from bike before roadside assistance picks up your machine.

Yes, even using non-BMW fluids ANYwhere on machine has been used to exclude a machine's warranty.

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/content/dam/bmwmotorradnsc/marketUS/bmwmotorcycles_com/downloads/pdfs/misc/bmw-motorrad-parts-warranty-statement.pdf.asset.1518139862595.pdf

Bizarre.

BadgerApaches said:
$31,500 and you void the warranty by pulling a trailer of any sort.
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2019-BMW-K-1600-GT-5006098205

:-[

I'd be willing to bet the percentage of people shopping for any ST bike that want to pull a trailer is a relatively insignificant sample size, and business BMW is content to have take their purchase elsewhere. Having ridden a Goldwing with a trailer (not by choice), I can tell you I hated every second of it. To each their own.   

That said, the K1600GT is one amazing machine. That inline 6 is so smooth, and has endless torque everywhere in the RPM range. Undoubtedly one of the nicest engines I have ever experienced. I know several IBR guys that moved to the K1600 and love the I6. Cannonball run record was set on a K16.     

Jacquelyn said:
BadgerApaches said:
$31,500 and you void the warranty by pulling a trailer of any sort.
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2019-BMW-K-1600-GT-5006098205

:-[

I'd be willing to bet the percentage of people shopping for any ST bike that want to pull a trailer is a relatively insignificant sample size, and business BMW is content to have take their purchase elsewhere. Having ridden a Goldwing with a trailer (not by choice), I can tell you I hated every second of it. To each their own.   

That said, the K1600GT is one amazing machine. That inline 6 is so smooth, and has endless torque everywhere in the RPM range. Undoubtedly one of the nicest engines I have ever experienced. I know several IBR guys that moved to the K1600 and love the I6. Cannonball run record was set on a K16.   

Yes, to each their own. Honda engineering and quality continue to reign. The roundel spirit lives on in the Airheads, thank God. 

Had the 2012 K1600 GTL, awesome bike but only good for long trips. Too heavy for shorter "tewisty" rides. Sold and got the R1200 RT, amazing and fun. Due to the lighter weight is pulls like the 1600 but handles the everyday roads, enjoy the 1600 and we'll see you soon an the r1200-RT forum.