• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2020 Bun Cooler

arrowlane

The 2020 Bun Cooler will be the 3rd weekend of May. That is May 15 & 16. I don't have any information yet because the resort can't give me prices until after the first of the year. I'm heading to Arizona and will have limited internet access but I'll post more when I know something.

Lewis-Clark Resort
4243 Highway 12
Kamiah, Idaho 83536
Phone: (208) 935-2556

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
The 2020 Bun Cooler will be the 3rd weekend of May. That is May 15 & 16. I don't have any information yet because the resort can't give me prices until after the first of the year. I'm heading to Arizona and will have limited internet access but I'll post more when I know something.

Lewis-Clark Resort
4243 Highway 12
Kamiah, Idaho 83536
Phone: (208) 935-2556

The save the date is on the Calendar . . .

I am back in civilization for a while so I can post again. The business that has catered our banquet for the last 2 years has quit the business. I am now trying to find someone. I will post information and get the registration page up as soon as I can find someone.

Many of you reserved a room last year at the Bun Cooler. They need a deposit by April 1 to hold the room. They don't charge your account unless you don't show up. It is just so they don't get stuck with empty rooms and people wanting rooms.

I'm still working on getting a new cater. I have several leads, including the resort.

I so far have 2 options for catering the banquet. One is the Mexican restaurant in Kamiah and the other is the Chinese restaurant in Kooskia. I have eaten at the Mexican restaurant and it is pretty good. I know nothing about the Chinese one.

How about some opinions?

I would prefer Mexican, too, vs. Chinese - either would work though.  But, 4 yrs ago some riding friends went to the Kamiah Mexican restaurant on a Friday or Saturday evening - restaurant was full.  They waited,  had 8 - 10 people.  When they did get seats, service was said to be super slow and, as I recall the story, not all got served.  So on that particular day the restaurant's on-site-cooking-capacity was not up to their own restaurant needs. 

Of that riding group, the leader, and everyone else I spoke to about the ride, said they'd never go back to the Mexican place.  It wasn't the food, but the lack of capacity.    This doesn't mean that they couldn't do a good job. 

EDIT:  The Hub Bar and Grill in Kamiah has good food and looks to have capacity / organization.  Maybe them?

I'm back in civilization for a while. Those 2 restaurants were the only ones that cater. I've eaten at the Mexican one and they have pretty good food. Catering would be different than going to the restaurant because they know how many meals to prepare and when to have them ready.

I'll see if I can get prices and menus this week. Then we can get registration up.

Registration is not up yet. I hope to get it up by the end of the week or early next week. I will post the link when it is up.

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
I so far have 2 options for catering the banquet. One is the Mexican restaurant in Kamiah and the other is the Chinese restaurant in Kooskia. I have eaten at the Mexican restaurant and it is pretty good. I know nothing about the Chinese one.

How about some opinions?

Mexican Food is my preference

I found out after talking to the Mex restaurant that they really don't cater. They just take orders and bring the orders and they can't handle a group our size.

I am back to square one on trying to find someone to cater the banquet. I have a few feelers out, but it isn't looking good.

Maybe we should be looking at doing the BC somewhere else in the future. Does anyone have any ideas?

Last trip up there were some folks that ran a food truck BBQ north of the KOA. They supposedly did catering. At the place they did the swap meet. Dunno if they are still there. Is the lodging kitchen open again? I'll volunteer to cook the hell out of anything. Boiled tongue? Cabeza? Pork skull cheek meat? Head cheese? Deep fried mountain oysters? Pickled pig knuckles? Menudo? Jalapeno peppers stuffed with salmon rowe wrapped in bacon? I'l even wash my hands this time.

I suspect this has been done already, but has anyone asked the KOA owners if they have suggestions?  It would be in their best interests to make sure something like this was available for other customers too.

BTW, I'm good with just about anything.

Chris

The meals at the BC have been very good; but this year it's a situation to deal with ...

So: out of box thinking.  Eagle Scout Troop project.  Two or three big grills to cook premium dogs (labelled fully cooked on the box) and burgers.  Green beans, corn.  Use KOA oven to cook brown-n-serve rolls.  Brownies for dessert, vanilla ice cream on side.  Bulk pretzels for stand up and talk appetizers.  Done. 

Sounds good to me.  :)  I come for the people and riding.  The food is just icing on the cake.

Chris

TimR said:
How about pizza and salads??

That leaves me and a few others out. Unless it is thin crest and who likes that?

I didn't see a food preference list but there would be salad for ya  :great: .

I sent Jim a PM on requirements as I have some free time and could make some calls.

MotoCommuter said:
TimR said:

That leaves me and a few others out. Unless it is thin crest and who likes that?

I sent Jim a PM on requirements as I have some free time and could make some calls.

Thanks fr helping out. In my current condition salad isn't so good either. But Hopefully would be OK by then.   

We did brats and burgers at the Ribbon last year and most folks were ok or even happy with it.  We bought macaroni salad and potato salad from smart foods and asked for denotations.  With this big of crowd, get we could set a price and have a sign up.  I would be happy to get things going.  I brought plates flatware and such.  If we can get a propane grill or two we would be all set.  we brought one propane grill to the ribbion.  give me a call and we can discuss this.  248 819 1500.

I'm a outta area rider but have participated in some chow lines. Would volunteer again if needed. One scoop step to the left, One scoop step to the left........HOLD THAT TRAY PERPENDICULAR TO THE DECK PRIVATE!!..... :) :beerchug:
https://yarn.co/yarn-clip/16c9d762-7f15-4794-82bc-491b86979810

This has been an interesting week. I had a notice a while back to change my password because there had been a hack on COG. I didn't get around to it because it is hard to find where to change it and I didn't have time. I have received a direct email from someone who did not speak very good English saying they could help. I also had a COG message from a COG member in GA. Make sure you all change your password.

I have found someone that does a pig roast like we had several years ago. They are supposed to contact me next week on details.

The food truck in Kamiah is the same outfit that catered our banquet the last 2 years. They have closed it and are trying to sell because she got a job running the lunch program in the school.

I will be camping in the desert the next week and out of contact and then head for home.

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
This has been an interesting week. I had a notice a while back to change my password because there had been a hack on COG. I didn't get around to it because it is hard to find where to change it and I didn't have time. I have received a direct email from someone who did not speak very good English saying they could help. I also had a COG message from a COG member in GA. Make sure you all change your password.

I have found someone that does a pig roast like we had several years ago. They are supposed to contact me next week on details.

The food truck in Kamiah is the same outfit that catered our banquet the last 2 years. They have closed it and are trying to sell because she got a job running the lunch program in the school.

I will be camping in the desert the next week and out of contact and then head for home.

Yeah, watch out for those shifty GA COG members offering their time to help make a few calls.

Old Man on a Connie said:
I'm a outta area rider but have participated in some chow lines. Would volunteer again if needed. One scoop step to the left, One scoop step to the left........HOLD THAT TRAY PERPENDICULAR TO THE DECK PRIVATE!!..... :) :beerchug:

Perpendicular- that's a pretty big word for a Marine.  :) ;)

Charlie_Gary_AAD said:

I gots erasable crayons.  :)

Charlie_Gary_AAD said:

What flavors?  ;)

Charlie_Gary_AAD said:
Charlie_Gary_AAD said:

What flavors?  ;)
Like a box of skittles brother. The whole rainbow  :)) Fav right now is peach. Nummies.

I finally found a caterer for the banquet. I am supposed to get a proposal Monday for the cost and what they will serve. We should get the registration up next week.

I'm thinking about canceling the Bun Cooler because of the coronavirus. All recommendations are for not getting together in large groups. What do you guys think?

The Bun Cooler isn't till mid-May.  It's two months away.  I'd look at the cancellation dates for things like the caterer and wait till then to cancel...if needed.  In the meantime, let those who are concerned, cancel on their own.

I think the decision will become far easier as time goes on.  If the virus causes massive sickness (and not just cold and mild-flu symptoms), things will have to shut down.  On the other hand, it may not be nearly as bad as the media is making it seem.  We're inundated with "news" media saying the same things over and over and over again.  I plan to prepare, not panic.

The President is on the air right now.  As Dr. Fauci just said, the CDC guidelines are for 15 days only.  They'll re-evaluate as time goes on.  I think you should do the same.

It's on my calendar and I've been looking forward to it for a year now.  :)  Unless there was a travel ban, I'd probably go anyway and hopefully some others would show up too.

Chris

I agree with Chris, 2 months out, i would wait and see in 4 weeks or so. I have two other COG rallies I’m attending before the BC and I’m still planning on attending those.

We are in good hands. It will wash thru. The Prez rated himself at 10 out of 10 on response to the Corona virus.

I think I'll wait on putting up the registration because we have to refund the money if we have to cancel and Nancy won't like that. Hopefully, things will get better.

TimR said:
MotoCommuter said:
TimR said:

Thanks fr helping out. In my current condition salad isn't so good either. But Hopefully would be OK by then. 
I hear that, hope there's soup available, I'm mostly limited to stuff i can gum.  :))

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
I think I'll wait on putting up the registration because we have to refund the money if we have to cancel and Nancy won't like that.

Practical  :great:

fellow NWCoggers,
i agree with Jim's decision.  thanks Jim.  let's be cautious.  our CEO just did an audio brief to the company.  included in the panel was a physician.  of course the  MD discussed hand washing and other things.  but the statement that caught my ear was of those who have contracted the virus.... the mortality rate is 4% !!  think about that.  the Dr. also said no one is immune since this is a new virus and no human immune systems have seen it yet.  also incubation period can be from 3 days to 12 days before symptoms occur.  and the contagious period, from contracting it to getting over it and not shedding any more virus runs about 30 days...    if normal flu kills 20K per year in the usa, and it's mortality rate is 0.1%, then can we expect close to 800K from COVID-19 if we're not careful?  maybe even if we are.  who knows.  so the steps being taken to keep from spreading the virus while a vaccine or other remedies are being developed and deployed seem to make sense, though i wonder if they're a bit draconian.  this shutdown and social distancing is going to be a real PIA however.  discussions welcome.  hope i'm wrong.
-tdbru

Most of the deaths from the coronavirus are people over 60, which is most of us. I would really feel bad if any of you old geezers died.

We are thinking about it. Washington State is still locked down. It depends on work demands as we now need excellent cellular coverage.

Attila and I went by the Clearwater KOA in Kamiah a few days ago after riding the Lolo pass. The resort looked like it was open and of course it was a beautiful day. Had breakfast in Kooskia though we ate outside on a table in front of café. People are getting out now that the days are longer and warmer. We had our masks and needed them in a couple of places. Have fun if you go!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

I called the motel a few days ago.  77.65 for one night!

I can use the kitchen for NO CHARGE.

I can make breakfast and supper for all.  sandwich for lunch, if wanted
I cook for nonprofit breakfasts,
scrambled eggs w/ bacon crumbles and cheese, and last year we had brats and hambguers on two seperate days. friday and sat.
last year we charged 5 bucks a meal, a person.  just give me a yea for head count. for meals you are interested in.
We have a grill and a cooler.

Let me know about food before wed.

I WOULD BE SOCIAL DISTANCING. 

I will cook and set food out plated.

brats and some salad(potatoe or macaroni,)burgers the next with other salad the next day  chips also.

at the ride the ribbon last year when we cooked, we all sat outside and ate.  in the parking lot.  we can spread the chairs out for proper social distancing...we had a great time! 
:campfire:
:103:

Count me in! 

So is this the "Un-Bun Cooler"?

I think I have more potential of getting the virus walking through the local store where 40% of the people don't have masks on.  Like Ken, I'll be doing the whole social distancing thing, and wearing a mask...except when drinking my favorite liquid refreshment.

Chris

BUN COOLER LITE
Let me know what meals you want

supper friday and or sat
breakfast saturday and or sunday
lunch saturday( to go) if riding sandwiches
I will be packing in food as it is cheaper
I will bring plates and plastic.

there is a store if people want substitutions.

for the meals for the weekend, we have found commercially prewrapped cookies, individually packaged chips and LOTS of hand sanitizer.

Since all our activity will be outside this will be a fun excursion to get out for a ride and interact with others of like mind.

Bryan and I will do cooking and food handling.  We have been wearing masking  in the rare instance that we go out of the house the past couple months.

I enjoy cooking, for those who think this is an inconvenience for me.  No worries!  :great: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:

Don't know whether to call it the "Bun Cooler Lite", or "Bun Cooler Un-Rally".  Whatever you call it, we had fun.

Seven of us showed up.  Art, Mike, Steve ...over in the double rooms.  Dale, Kendra, Brian and myself over in the single rooms.  We were the only ones staying in rooms at the resort.  But there were a lot of RVs staying there.  It was like everyone else wanted to go, but didn't want to stay somewhere that others had been in.

We managed to keep a safe distance from each other...or so we hope.  On Saturday, we headed up to Elk City.  I've been on that road each time I go, and I never tire of it.  As Art said, don't watch the river if you want to stay on the road.  The views of the river are incredible to me.

Here's some pictures.

On the way over.  The Columbia River
ACtC-3dFHUsiBq2MAUk7pi8bPmgQXR2eI_Mbqdvwow9IvLrNZF7jgon3LeKF6br4Toc0yU3ogvVlexfvPDenWmtld8IxVuK57clw8yDpphLl8OeNCKSqDXYYa3vOpdu3TqppI6LY5ffcAZcbl-OJnsSNT0U7QA=w2092-h1179-no

Eastern Washington
ACtC-3f2PMmocqUX9mBsM5GqnpUPvwiPtpOpGe3YtBoQEuA27cScW0anQHGdIxgPlOnhLGmMCvOxcb0fOsTXmL6c1NZvFIGdOdBcdJrPVC1YFfa6S147vW_p0KxOK1bHVlQPguCPWcLAdRjiNYDwjk2bGeMIsg=w2092-h1179-no

ACtC-3fkMJ4D7bBKwXyznXyMufG6vQNINSZ1GAGCfDLcY7hoVQpD8Wf5k74YKWp3GGx0yCwMefzqHekKSIBfZqU4VCFetUTEmQemVhE-enOoHwmZWwJijatC4D2Mn3dgLxX1x1atPsU-t-lENkoxSnfbWnRicA=w2092-h1179-no

ACtC-3d7Nuh0xYYMMlW13hkf059XqBWCFKlCYWAaYkDtxwb_I_lt9pa1GmNkvUMBP6GweOWJB5QuCSfWumPwnfAme5u9tQSPeAZx-8Ajoz2hcUoDR1d-pF-B7eZsntb0c8nLDqXdLYy9zONLDOIAmYZ4iP6DxQ=w2092-h1179-no

ACtC-3eFuWA0aR827bEnuTBsIAyS0-ieJYzF9p8Gj-KfJWAzSwzb8HdmqjzvlxeD35aOxpGn_mZIX8Y0dYmms-8b4fVn8EryrGK3uQJZdJF0XCqJMd99lJX2fLAdtyQ_YZ6osAgdY851mHkRnprrpwByTlCyIA=w2092-h1179-no

Clearwater River.  The river scenery is beautiful, and the curves on the road are a delight.
ACtC-3f02KpHrgV4GhG0gaAeU8yPKXh3rH7YQf_UqCIjykYvN6yTDdyZs6GOJo3Oa5TYVOsZWMyd9v_a7ciqtkMzCq-_2k5nxWf1KmjVBSvQmBjHcppEzWQHy8vdP2zfas6vFeC_wn1E46Tm-FjiEb28d3z1SQ=w2092-h1179-no

ACtC-3f8yPIlisaT3I7IV6h-IdMiDoV9yvpxLn6Y0G3QwAdlBd_TOXi2T-2msIBX4vFCLIIR9fr7fLPw82_0h-wq5glMfzEdftl84Vzr3Sgcv1IR-N_ev4TeBr8iWFRWPavMV15Yqlv2-Dda3zegXTpWXmuP2Q=w2092-h1179-no

Saturday's Ride
ACtC-3czZv9PoAyCfIRltQ0mi01ohbo_5IatX7ciBj14IU5InTWUKePnjsq7dq1V-6O8tud-3-uRmYl_4Y5sg_SpmkDUY5Cw7IL4xS6rZEfWy-ttS09SntDDiZLCJF--vXS09-xk-f-N0bsJiuuVqAO8Js-qGQ=w2092-h1179-no

ACtC-3eyRD4CWvC_JDq8AI15wNToAae2sPbjBXgQCRU4Qnq5bjKpB1FWulEZMyblOWZ0X47cGx-5T7fxuX7R8sUWACOo0heWUXRYf38DlKOsAS_nQlANRmCWCjEyMWB8-UIAX23ubvcptCmoSQTpuHtmdOV9xQ=w2092-h1179-no

ACtC-3cQe5jHNkqdl8g6CebT0aYfMpr5fFZzmfUtyvpRzt3SP4EchVCD-SbS9op5axB_HNKpdarv-9R4bfDG1B6IDLnQZuVqi_vbgbb7j53u5H9kv-7NlSvwqRWD0SwCHmO-96skeRrK4wcnY_nMkp1fH7GGZw=w2092-h1179-no

A kayaker.  We saw three more getting ready to put in.  The rapids there were at least Class III.
ACtC-3c84PQ0_19FOF28fubN3ux_4ZNAIjXruVIBis7sJ_rLW4UbAR3eUVYSYkXzDp9fnEYRxTChepfNU1_Zh9Ord2cPvDSFL_xLaCUUdmi29-nt8Y9z2JlqQ4KwXnrRohr8a_AcG4WAGetGeCEAyJ6j3-Qw3Q=w2092-h1179-no

Steve
ACtC-3dcmuuIKMBvo4UCBJfTvi1DSQCCAvg5QUJr-BKiiJ1gABFq3rHXFmfj-pmIXCs1yVRt3hqBCJ9ERawnwctzUPB755ESiAWHjhcesy4sgEOVL1VUUKVgA7zijjqWPGmrN9afzcsQ9VEb_MEhiTx5ESm_PQ=w2092-h1179-no

The "Hanging Rock"
ACtC-3cTD4uF6sRrg_YlQXfwa_3aqwJZzSbnw3ZCU9lDtg1IjAHD_PsIdVerzdK8LAwscAVmLVHufmIPsbDELsapmlX1nBwES9LlXWNogVlDW0Hy6BPZQHd-wLm6C32z5hEIkZWEwaSFq1fPRyqtsYcH3PHwVA=w2092-h1179-no

ACtC-3cJPlG1_4TK5FBkS7et8PqypBnXgy9nSedO4Po1fVZoPcrVfUYVjwVWl0lq8FPIDVqh8TVIWSrjpW1in1u_rwdtpUMvuehOn7_uicLAppdWfFAfCuZXiBDDNywAGYZ8NYVaQ1Hw0CR_bWeAx0WPnxH1Vw=w2092-h1177-no

ACtC-3dW4ToEuxL6PxQMPY3OrWEX8k0wINlvohIgrpVvNlXbfeFTtzuavwk44pz9VcOD9knu-0zKer-14BcHlAT7nla2HT3BTv2v6Xi-pEzqffW25knsO8WV5k-mSWAixNQx83ENpuj-szCL6D_m-EHAcw52Bw=w2092-h1179-no

ACtC-3fzNhl1F1MF5WTDTXEn-gsN42QRqLI9GAGdlPLruYGTbJHv5iUX-cLp4wXS93lb1EgjcVsD2iTEPJHAdUcp0Q4MW8QmJwEoDl1mCZUI7xD0htgLWBF0czGRFGuE6Wh7-7QTDK8KuleM_A--mZV331XY-g=w2092-h1179-no

I was amazed at how fast Brian could manuever his sidecar.
ACtC-3dA1SQFfjigdHVFhPfx25XkD7P01k0Lb1qPeG-7rZrpE5j2LYUjopk7ABGdaTepPry-Qj79DfxVaRf_Xdd8-r_leeQKStgP9fmNszrbem44Vr9wlVIWmndCMJgItAfUbPYDTY7LbuYkKqoeKoGxve1MDw=w2092-h1179-no

We had a great time together.  Looking forward to the next COG event, whether official, or unofficial.  :)

Chris

dam, those are nice photos.  Wasn't going to happen for me this year, so glad to know/see it did for you (all)...

Up there 10 days ago and it was absolutely beautiful! We had the Lolo pass to ourselves and was just a great part of the trip!  Glad everyone had a good time! See ya next year!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

We missed everyone and it was a hard decision to not attend. When we are able to travel we will ride a tribute to "Bun Cooler Late".

Was bummed. Happy trails from your SW friends. Hope to C U all soon. :motonoises: :beerchug: